Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes. On GWF- No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep that clicking finger away from the mouse.

You have got your yesses and noes 100% wrong. But if you don't want us to use the mouse you should give us some proper clues, not just a photo and "he had to endure the consequences of his actions". That would certainly apply to Kaiser Bill, and as a teacher you should know that you have to ask questions which have precise unique answers!

Ron

Ron - Thank you for the corrections re. the correct ways of criminality.:)     You speak from experience?  :wub:

Clues? You want clues as well?   Oh,alright then

Served in Africa.  Served on the Somme. .  Had a loud voice  Described as gauche.  Represented the observatory. He wrote post-war that fellow generals (big clue) who were unsuccessful should have been executed. 

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

On the Stock Exchange-yes. On the poker tables in Las Vegas- yes.  On your tax return-yes

Ron, it's called "merchant banking"  :wub:

Edited by Guest

as a teacher you should know that you have to ask questions which have precise unique answers!

Don't be vague,ask for Haig?

Ok been in the library, and we have no restriction ......back to the job in hand WIT

16 hours ago, Knotty said:

Suggests he is French?

Peut-etre.............  Caramba! Vrai

And here he is  - Cannot be absolutely sure of the location but probably the Camp de Mailly  Weight- Watchers Club, just limbering up for the post-lunch  exercises (In France, post-lunch exercises are called "Dinner") with Joffre   ..."Calorie? Qu'est que-c'est calorie?"

(And I cannot resit this "translation" of part of a French official biography of him:

"Wounded in the Vosges at the head of his group of alpine hunters July 27, 1915, he was soon promoted colonel and took command of the 6 th brigade of foot hunters."

image.png.af9945e576b74765629a55f2e383ad91.png

Edited by Guest

Hi Mr V

Another fine WIT that has kept me intrigued, then I found that your second picture is of Joffre with the man who was Minister for War out the outbreak, one Adolphe Messimy, he resign at the beginning of September 1914 just before the Miracle of the Marne, ending up commanding in the Army, it took a while to find the photo but got it from here 

https://www.franceinter.fr/emissions/la-marche-de-l-histoire/la-marche-de-l-histoire-11-novembre-2015.

He was definitely a colourful character both politically and militarily as his history shows, and there is a copy of the first photo you submitted.

https://wikivividly.com/wiki/Adolphe_Messimy

Well done Knotty. Certainly a bombastic character- with some principle somewhere deep down, resigned as a career army officer on the refusal to grant Dreyfus a retrial after the Esterhazy stuff turned up. Represented the 14th Aronidssement- called "Observatoire"-hence the clue. A mixture of extreme Left and extreme right "patriotic" views- considered Left, hence the "Gauche"  clue.  Had the consequences of his won actions by putting France into the war but having the decency to return to the colours- quite a good war record.

And an advertisement for the plan to chuck Napoleon's tomb out of the Hopital des Invalides and make it the French Army Moustache Museum instead. 

Now for a hum-dinger.   One of the lesser known leaders of the Great War.    Responsible for the entry of his country  as a beligerent power in the Great War.  On the side of the Allied and Associated Powers.  Shouldn't take too much working out- you want clues as well?  You lucky people!

OK-   the total of the armed forces he commanded was less than that of a British infantry battalion in total.  His armed forces had absolutely no effect whatsoever on the naval war.  His national contribution to the Great War  is chiefly remembered for an event in 1958.  

Image result for Juan Benlloch i Vivó

Pope Benedict XV?

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Pope Benedict XV?

Ron

That was my first thought but from what I've read Benedict XV wasn't half the size of this man.  From the clue given i take it the country doesn't have a navy, so somewhere landlocked. Is San Marino a theocracy (assuming we're in Europe)?

I think we've cracked it!

Juan Benlloch i Vivó, who was Bishop of Urgel, and therefore co-ruler of Andorra, from 1906 to 1919. For some reason Andorra was left out of the Treaty of Versailles and remained technically in a state of war with Germany until 1958.

Ron

Well done, chaps. Something of a Greg Chapell/Tervor Chapell underarm ball- sneaky but within the rules but not the spirit. Yes, Andorra it is. Jointly ruled by France and Spain, the latter's rule being done through Our Chap.  With an army (Well spotted that it had no navy-Alas, being landlocked may not have been the reason-Ethiopia is currently trying to set up a navy and the Swiss Jack is well-known to mariners) - yes, an army of 600, not allowed to serve "overseas"- No such thing as an Imperial Service Obligation for them. Having been leaned on by France to "join" the Allied cause in 1917, it  failed to scare the Central Powers into an immediate surrender.  But it did get left out of the peace treaties and so,technically, stayed at war with German (presumably both East and West after 1945) until the matter was corrected (I think Germany surrendered but I might be wrong on that)

Alas, a bit of work suggests that the obvious connection is not there-  Of course,the 1959 film "The Mouse That Roared" with Peter Sellers, Margaret Rutherford and Billy Hartnell.  While the connection looks obvious, the book  upon which the film was based was,alas published before the Andorran-German Rapprochement.  But it's a good excuse to post the  pic!

Image result for mouse that roared

36 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think we've cracked it!

Juan Benlloch i Vivó, who was Bishop of Urgel, and therefore co-ruler of Andorra, from 1906 to 1919. For some reason Andorra was left out of the Treaty of Versailles and remained technically in a state of war with Germany until 1958.

Ron

Never thought of Andorra.  So still at war with Germany until 1958, a reality or more of a Berwick on Tweed extended Crimean conflict story?

26 minutes ago, Nepper said:

Never thought of Andorra.  So still at war with Germany until 1958, a reality or more of a Berwick on Tweed extended Crimean conflict story?

It had,apparently, not dawned on the Germans in particular- Andorra was neutral in the Second World War, while the Germans might have invaded and occupied. It is probable that the Germans were aware of the glitch but neutral states have their uses in wartime-let alone one ruled jointly between a country occupied (France) and a fellow traveller (Francoist Spain)

As for Berwick- I think the population is conducting  a vigorous  campaign against the German aggressor. I note that -according to Mr. Google- Berwick has Iceland,Asda, Tesco and Morrison (and Farmfoods-doesn't count as it is so hopeless)  BUT NOT  Aldi or Lidl. Obviously German plans for world conquest are running  scared of the continuing threat posed by Berwick

3 hours ago, Nepper said:

It was your query about San Marino which put me on the right track. There aren't many landlocked countries in Europe who were likely to be on the Allied side - Liechtenstein, like Switzerland, was neutral and that really only left Andorra.

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

It was your query about San Marino which put me on the right track. There aren't many landlocked countries in Europe who were likely to be on the Allied side - Liechtenstein, like Switzerland, was neutral and that really only left Andorra.

Ron

Liectenstein was officially neutral but it used Austrian currency and the A-H government regulated its external relations- AH railways ran across Liectenstein without border controls-which,if I recollect,were also controlled by AH Customs. Thus, HMG took the view that it was not neutral and it was  blockaded.  After the war,Liectenstein changed over to the Swiss franc and much the same arrangements with a new best friend in Switzerland.

And this chap?     He stayed on through the war so that a British officer of the Regular Army could continue in place.  He did not come under fire during the war-  but he did shortly before when shot at by a very disgruntled local native.  who blamed him for taking away his job. Curiously, he had to deal with another uprising later in the war by some seriously unpleasant men- which led to his eventual resignation from post. No,it's not Nigel Davenport

image.png.d5ab0bccf9d72c6a2b55dfab1972d478.png

Augustine Birrell, Chief Secretary for Ireland?

Ron

4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Augustine Birrell, Chief Secretary for Ireland?

Ron

Not Gus-  image.jpeg.4cdca59a6f615a005f6368d9ef704e5c.jpeg

The order is, I believe, KCVO  which our chap had 

A further clue-  he had a finger in many,many people's lives.:wub:

Edited by Guest

Not Lord Woolton of the pie??

51 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not Lord Woolton of the pie??

Alas, not Fred Marquis either (Shurely wrong war? Ed.)

If you think about it, you should be able to put your finger on the answer. Mark, Dick and Warren should be able to guide you.

image.jpeg.057026cf20604e0ed54082471d605431.jpeg

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Edward Richard Henry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Henry

Classification and Uses of Finger Prints, E.R. Henry, 1900:

https://archive.org/stream/classificationa01henrgoog#page/n4/mode/2up

JP

BINGO!!   Not a serving officer of the armed forces-an ex- taxman from the Raj. But an effective head of the Met. He stayed on so that his designated successor, Macready, could in turn stay on as AG-though at the end of the war, he succeeded Henry anyway-forced into resignation after the police strike.  He was attacked and shot twice by an irate Black Cabbie (= disgruntled native)  who had been refused a licence. Henry pleaded to the court for clemency when the man was charged with attempted murder-subsequently sent to chokey for 15 years-after which Henry aided him with money to emigrate and start a new life (in the US,I believe-hopefully not as a New York cabbie). Henry was prominent in the introduction of fingerprinting- in its time as revolutionary for policing as DNA in our times.  Dick, Mark and Warren are,of course, all surnames of other holders of the commissioner's job.

Though a civilian, he was,of course, heavily involved in many activities that form part of the history of the Great War- WRSC, Zeppelins, bombing,anti-German riots-the usual run of deserters and renegades, etc.

Well done!

The job was also held by Viscount Byng, Lord Trenchard and Sir William Horwood (who had been Provost-Marshal of the BEF).

Ron

That would make it too easy Ron- the trick was that their surnames are also used as first names!  Just to mislead the unwary

And this chap?

No- not the founder of the Tommy Cooper Impersonator's Therapy Group.  A Great War veteran, lost the use of 2 fingers with a bullet in his arm.  Served with a Northern infantry regiment.  He was a Nazi spy in the Second World War.    And he has a connection to the actor Paul Bettany

image.png.db1e72251d5a5172d27e4d94310d3375.png