Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Unfortunately I still cannot locate his previous incarnation in WIT.

Found it and it was posted in Feb 2015.

In WW2 he was prominent in the North Africa and the Med., but he won his VC in 1917, who his chap.

B2C01249-AB30-4854-88E1-A98B3794D993.jpeg

Corporal (later Brigadier) L W Andrew of 2nd Bn Wellington Regiment?

Ron

On 26 April 2018 at 15:32, voltaire60 said:

Alas,No UG- This should be quite a simp;le one-the chap was well-known and often photographed.  He was an advocate of arson, if you want a  bigger clue.

He is Ivor "Keep the Home Fires Burning" Novello.

EDIT: I see that this is not the right answer.

Here's an easy, topical WiT:

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Here's an easy, topical WiT:

image.jpg

HRH Prince Albert, later Duke of York, later George VI?

Ron

Morning UG

I would suggest that it is Prince Louis of Battenberg before the family name change in 1917, to Mountbatten

Edited by Knotty

20 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

HRH Prince Albert, later Duke of York, later George VI?

Ron

Sorry, no. They all look alike, that family - Bertie, Mountbatten, Phillip, Charles, Edward. Except for Andrew that is ...

19 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Morning UG

I would suggest that it is Prince Louis of Battenberg before the family name change in 1917, to Mountbatten

Yes. I was surprised (I don't know why - it's no surprise really) to see a photo of him wearing Mutt and Jeff during this recent brouhaha.

Image from here:

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=1197.30

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

He is Ivor "Keep the Home Fires Burning" Novello.

EDIT: I see that this is not the right answer.

Well, this is going to be tough, as the pic. said it was Ivor Novello when I pasted it!!!.   Apologies if it is not then-to all.   Novello had a brief and undistinguished career in the Royal Naval Air Service- when most thought he stayed at home banging out "Keep the Home Fires Burning" every day of the week to boost morale. In the RNAS he was less than good as a flyer-  a lot more "Per Ardua" than "Ad Astra"- the Planet Earth won most of their bouts. Through the influence of Eddie Marsh- the patron of R.Brooke- Novello was moved to a safer civilian job.

On 10 April 2018 at 17:26, voltaire60 said:
  5 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

What a cove.  I've always been intrigued by the word which is so often prefixed by rum which suggests a degree of questionableness. On its own is it a mark of admiration or less positive than that?

Yes- been watching the great Ballard Berkeley again as Fawlty Towers gets another run-out on Junk TV.

"A dexterous or clever rogue"- Francis Grose-Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue

I thought of this discussion about rum coves when I came across the attached. It is in the public domain. I post it in the hope it raises a smile.

image.jpg

At first sight this seemed to me to be a photograph from the Second war. Apparently it is not. Who are they, and what on earth is going on ? ? ?

image.jpg

I’ve enlarged the chap sat bottom left, to look at his cap badge and I think that it is Australian, would I be correct? With the Pith helmets would Gallipoli be featured?

12 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Novello had a brief and undistinguished career in the Royal Naval Air Service- when most thought he stayed at home banging out "Keep the Home Fires Burning" every day of the week to boost morale. In the RNAS he was less than good as a flyer-  a lot more "Per Ardua" than "Ad Astra"- the Planet Earth won most of their bouts

Actors seem to be bad at flying. Here is Larry Olivier in the Oxford DNB: 

"Olivier pulled strings to join the Fleet Air Arm and, to his delight, joined his old friend Ralph Richardson at a naval air station near Winchester. But his swashbuckling heroics on stage and screen were not matched by similar gifts as a pilot: on one occasion, in making an emergency landing, he managed to wreck three stationary aircraft."

7 hours ago, seaJane said:

Actors seem to be bad at flying. Here is Larry Olivier in the Oxford DNB: 

"Olivier pulled strings to join the Fleet Air Arm and, to his delight, joined his old friend Ralph Richardson at a naval air station near Winchester. But his swashbuckling heroics on stage and screen were not matched by similar gifts as a pilot: on one occasion, in making an emergency landing, he managed to wreck three stationary aircraft."

Do you know if Richardson was any better? He was an enthusiastic motor cyclist into old age.

RM

4 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Do you know if Richardson was any better? He was an enthusiastic motor cyclist into old age.

RM

Oh dear ....

"Richardson <<...>>, when the war came, rose to the rank of lieutenant-commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve where he was affectionately known as Pranger Richardson on account of the large number of planes which seemed to fall to pieces under his control."

9 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Oh dear ....

"Richardson <<...>>, when the war came, rose to the rank of lieutenant-commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve where he was affectionately known as Pranger Richardson on account of the large number of planes which seemed to fall to pieces under his control."

Thank you,

Fascinating.

Motor cycling was obviously not a good preparation!

RM

Any ideas on this "First and Founder" ???

20180429_085746.png.e4fc2c0705c532c741b2da900859c572.png

On 26/04/2018 at 08:39, neverforget said:

Indeed he has. I remember posting the same picture, but one that more recent inmates might find interesting, so let him run.

I think he has run his time and despite the additional clues nobody has made an offer, so NF can you do the honours.

15 hours ago, Knotty said:

I’ve enlarged the chap sat bottom left, to look at his cap badge and I think that it is Australian, would I be correct? With the Pith helmets would Gallipoli be featured?

Australian, yes. Gallipoli - no.

42 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I think he has run his time and despite the additional clues nobody has made an offer, so NF can you do the honours.

If you would care to sum him up and perhaps give another clue, I will do the honours at say 2 o'clock if there are still no takers. If that's agreeable? 

I'm beginning to feel like WIT's official executioner. 👻😊

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Any ideas on this "First and Founder" ???

20180429_085746.png.e4fc2c0705c532c741b2da900859c572.png

Your clues led straight to Katherine Furse.

19 hours ago, Uncle George said:

At first sight this seemed to me to be a photograph from the Second war. Apparently it is not. Who are they, and what on earth is going on ? ? ?

image.jpg

Are the seated gentlemen all V.C. winners. This is the road that I have been going down, and I think I've spotted one or two that are. 

On 29/04/2018 at 11:06, Uncle George said:

Your clues led straight to Katherine Furse.

Right furse time U.G. Another surprising omission up until now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Furse

Founder of the English Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) 

Director of the Women's Royal Naval Service(WRNS), which was equivalent to the rank of Rear Admiral.

Edited by neverforget

23 minutes ago, neverforget said:

If you would care to sum him up and perhaps give another clue, I will do the honours at say 2 o'clock if there are still no takers. If that's agreeable? 

I'm beginning to feel like WIT's official executioner. 👻😊

Who are we discussing here? There is nothing outstanding, as far as I know. (But I have been wrong before, I'll give you that.)

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Who are we discussing here? There is nothing outstanding, as far as I know. (But I have been wrong before, I'll give you that.)

#9872. Another "first".