Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

21 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Reassure me that it's the machinery and not you. You know how I worry. I'm learning a lot about the Marines on Guadalcanal but no closer to an id, as to the others I can't even remember what they look like, let alone identify them. The pressure is relentless.

And the narrator is ?

Edited by RaySearching

20 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I thought a namesake WiT might be a nice hello. This chap is not ajs;  but hms. Not 'HMS', I emphasise.

4 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

And the narrator is ?

Given the combination of your clue and Ray's giveaway, I would say Holland M Smith. (Howling mad)

Which would leave us with just sJ's fellow outstanding. No idea who he might be but I'm assuming, perhaps mistakenly that he is a writer of some description?

I was having second thoughts that maybe I had got it wrong

making a fool of myself

onto the next one then UG

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Which would leave us with just sJ's fellow outstanding. No idea who he might be but I'm assuming, perhaps mistakenly that he is a writer of some description?

I'm wondering if it could be Robin Buss (author) who translated "Under Fire". https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/robin-buss-429390.html

Be warned chaps!! An image search for Robin Buss just brought up a page of very scantily attired young ladies. Phew!

Edited by neverforget

8 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

onto the next one then UG

After hms, here's another run of three initials.

Btw, a clue might help for sJ's.

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

After hms, here's another run of three initials.

Btw, a clue might help for sJ's.

image.jpg

FDR, presumably as assistant secretary of the Navy in WW1?

Edited by Fattyowls

Just now, Fattyowls said:

FDR, presumably as undersecretary of the Navy in WW1?

Yes indeed: an easy one, but I was taken by this photograph (which is in the public domain):

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Yes indeed: an easy one, but I was taken by this photograph (which is in the public domain):

image.jpg

Looks like someone standing in front of one of those crazy mirrors that you used to find at fairgrounds 😊

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Yes indeed: an easy one

That was the only way I was going to get anything at the moment. That said I went back to looking at Belleau Wood given the Marine Corps connection with Guadalcanal which was illuminating, didn't do me any good of course. It's an interesting place to visit, like all of the US Memorials it is slightly too manicured for my taste, but worthwhile.

Pete.

52 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Looks like someone standing in front of one of those crazy mirrors that you used to find at fairgrounds 😊

I was reminded of Governor Le Petomane and Hedley Lamarr (image from Paste Magazine):

image.jpg

I'm still stuck on lady writers.

This one, apart from making a considerable contribution to the Great War effort, also served in the French resistance in the second round of unpleasantness. 

20180420_212903.png.fa5abd82994ea8594acf9571f17c39b8.png

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm still stuck on lady writers.

This one, apart from making a considerable contribution to the Great War effort, also served in the French resistance in the second round of unpleasantness. 

Ah yes! I remember it well. Is she Colette?

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Ah yes! I remember it well. Is she Colette?

Listen carefully. I will say zis only once!

N'est pas mon oncle. 

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

I was reminded of Governor Le Petomane and Hedley Lamarr (image from Paste Magazine):

"I didn't get a harumph from that guy". Not that I know the whole dialogue of Blazing Saddles off by heart you understand,  just most of it.

What's outstanding? Just sJ's am I correct in thinking?

Pete.

23 hours ago, seaJane said:

We may have had this chap - I don't know. Barbusse reminded me of him, somehow.

WIT.jpg

Sorry, I've been out at a conference all day, then other half took me out to dinner. I can throw you a crumb of a clue, which may make you run for cover. He did sserve (Gallipoli) in the first unpleasantness, but was perhaps better known in the ssecond.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

"I didn't get a harumph from that guy". Not that I know the whole dialogue of Blazing Saddles off by heart you understand,  just most of it.

What's outstanding? Just sJ's am I correct in thinking?

Pete.

We also have #9571, who was also a politician. 

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

"Have you gone berserk? Can't you see that this man is a nig?"

Not forgetting Howard Johnson and his ice-cream parlor (sic) - "1 Flavor".

Ron

42 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Not forgetting Howard Johnson and his ice-cream parlor (sic) - "1 Flavor".

Ron

Are we descending into good old frontier gibberish Ron?

(And the trivial info-  The Indians in Blazing Saddles speak Yiddish because New York Jewish folk were hired in the early silent cinema because they had-supposedly-the right craggy features).

Ooops-better have a Great War connection soemwhere- the "vamp" in BS is a pastiche of Marlene Dietrich.......Dietrich's father died young in 1907.....her mother came close to marrying a colleague of her late husband...Eduard von Losch-died of wounds received in action c.1916. Therefore,sometimes Marlene Dietrich is thought to be Marlene Von Losch-though he never married Dietrich's mother. Phew-will that save me from a moderator's taser..?

A couple of further hints for #9751 as I will be in bed till this afternoon. 

You will know when you get her by confirming on her wiki page her connection to a German shepherd, her Germanic name, and the fact that she trained as a teacher.

She also founded a newspaper and a hospital. 

Night night. 

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

then other half took me out to dinner

Morning sJ

I think that I have him, and by adding a slightly cryptic statement to the above quote shows what he was more famous for in the second unpleasantness.

Problem with that is “you never know who’s listening”.........

And I’m surprised NF hasn’t answered this one as he has offered him before, alas however he was wrong, but not given the bird in this case.

Morning Knotty - I rather suspect you have him too, nom de plumes and all.