Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On 23/04/2018 at 21:14, Knotty said:

Haven't a clue on your chap, but if you enlarge him slightly the eyes are terrifying.

Yes, I had notice that feature with many of the Caledonians I have met in past years

Would it be Nikolai Aleksandrovich Lokhvitsky, commander of the Russian Expeditionary Force in France 1916? 

Just noticed your edit on my man, and yes that is Skinner VC, a brave man who could have faced a court-martial for going back into the line too soon after his investiture.

Next attempt on your fellow, Major General Pietro Badoglio one of the Italian commanders attributed with the disaster at Caporetto. [ I don’t give much hope, I’m sure the uniform is wrong]

20 hours ago, neverforget said:

It's beginning to take me longer to work out the answers than it is to work out the questions.🤔

I do hope this current trend of giving cryptic solutions doesn't catch on, or we'll be spending too much time in limbo-land.  

It's Jack Seeley I think U.G. 

It is indeed. 

image.jpg

On 24/04/2018 at 08:53, Knotty said:

Just noticed your edit on my man, and yes that is Skinner VC, a brave man who could have faced a court-martial for going back into the line too soon after his investiture.

Next attempt on your fellow, Major General Pietro Badoglio one of the Italian commanders attributed with the disaster at Caporetto. [ I don’t give much hope, I’m sure the uniform is wrong]

Alas, No-   wrong man and wrong nationality again.   I was not trying to be unkind or insulting by saying the Russian was the wrong man and the wrong nationality....in overall terms you were quite close.  THINK- a) Right job ii)  Different nationality. Then it should be easier.

Alas, No-   wrong man and wrong nationality again.   I was not trying to be unkind or insulting by saying the Russian was the wrong man and the wrong nationality....in overall terms you were quite close.  THINK- a) Right job ii)  Different nationality. Then it should be easier.

Is he Fernando Tamagnini?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Fernando Tamagnini?

Certainly is.  A feature of both the Great War-and of the Second World War as well- for both sides was the problem of weak allies.  But at least Portugal stood up as our oldest ally, despite having almost no real reason to be involved.

Goodness...the military tailors must have made a fortune during the war...:wub:

I don't think this chap's appeared here before. He was the subject of a critical work of history in 2016. (Image in public domain):

image.jpg

28 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I don't think this chap's appeared here before. He was the subject of a critical work of history in 2016. (Image in public domain):

image.jpg

A search of 2016 book releases concerning W.W.1 American Generals brings up Betrayal at Little Gibraltar: A German Fortress, a Treacherous American General, and the Battle to End World War I. 

The write up mentions a Major General Robert E. Lee Bullard, who disobeyed orders to assist in the direct assault on Montfaucon. The result was the unnecessary slaughter of American doughboys during the assault.

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

A search of 2016 book releases concerning W.W.1 American Generals brings up Betrayal at Little Gibraltar: A German Fortress, a Treacherous American General, and the Battle to End World War I. 

The write up mentions a Major General Robert E. Lee Bullard, who disobeyed orders to assist in the direct assault on Montfaucon. The result was the unnecessary slaughter of American doughboys during the assault.

Correct on all counts. Here's an interesting article (and interesting comments "below the line," as they say):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/26/us-general-robert-lee-bullard-ambition-disobeyed-orders-first-world-war-meuse-argonne

I intended posting the attached (from the public domain) as a clue, if a clue was needed. Which it was not:

image.jpg

The book title I found rather overstates the subject I think. I wonder if the author is American by any chance.

34 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The book title I found rather overstates the subject I think. I wonder if the author is American by any chance.

A hyperbolic book title, with increased sales the objective? If only we had a retired book-seller to hand, for a professional opinion.

24 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A hyperbolic book title, with increased sales the objective? If only we had a retired book-seller to hand, for a professional opinion.

That would just be too much to hope for I think.

I can see potential for a lawsuit here to be honest. I wonder if I'd qualify for legal-aid. 

Ok fairly easy who is this fly boy, he survived the war and went the distance. I don’t believe he has been on WIT.

367EF76C-13B0-4D5C-944B-773434DC745A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok fairly easy who is this fly boy, he survived the war and went the distance. I don’t believe he has been on WIT.

At first I though it is Charles Lindbergh but I suspect he's too young to have been in the war so I'll fall back on one of Alcock and Brown but I don't know which.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Instantly recognisable John, and for the same reason that I sat on my hands with your last V.C. candidate, (Skinner) i.e. that it was me wot posted him in the first place, I shall remain silent.

P.s. This chap appeared in the thread's previous life, and so, strictly speaking hasn't appeared before on this one.

Edited by neverforget

Fair enough NF, but I’ve caught you out once before with a repeat of one your candidates:lol:

come on Nepper which one do you think it could be, if it is one of those two:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Fair enough NF, but I’ve caught you out once before with a repeat of one your candidates:lol:

come on Nepper which one do you think it could be, if it is one of those two:rolleyes:

Guilty as charged. I plead diminished responsibility, though some might say insanity.

Come on NF (or anyone else) put us out of our misery and spill the beans on post #9829

Well,as we are  long-distance flying-then who is this  chap?  Often confused with Alcock and Brown but neither.  Associated with Tiffany.. The answer will give me a chance to plug my home town of Plymouth- which is a pretty big clue UG, unless you have wandered  round God's Own City with your eyes shut!!

(And yes Ron-he served in the Great War)

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Come on NF (or anyone else) put us out of our misery and spill the beans on post #9829

Ok then if you insist, though credit to Nepper for narrowing it down somewhat. 

I'm 50% sure it's Sir John Alcock.😊

Well,as we are  long-distance flying-then who is this  chap?  Often confused with Alcock and Brown but neither.  Associated with Tiffany.. The answer will give me a chance to plug my home town of Plymouth- which is a pretty big clue UG, unless you have wandered  round God's Own City with your eyes shut!!

(And yes Ron-he served in the Great War)

Should there be a picture?

29 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Ok then if you insist, though credit to Nepper for narrowing it down somewhat. 

I'm 50% sure it's Sir John Alcock.😊

Honourable draw then