Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Are the seated gentlemen all V.C. winners. This is the road that I have been going down, and I think I've spotted one or two that are. 

No, I think not. These chaps had all attended the same University, apparently. But it's the name of theforce as a whole that I'm looking for. It contained a couple of 'firsts'.

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

So he is Henry Hadley.

Well, John will have to confirm, and reveal the source of the picture, but I have a very strong feeling that you are right, and thanks for sparing me the grim task of execution. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hadley_(died_1914)

Ah! I hadn't realised. I do a search (usually) at the top of our page before posting someone, but most times I don't search the old thread as it all becomes too long-winded. 

Did you mean to type OP and Caryl? If so I echo your thoughts. I'm also hoping for a return by Mr. Ridgus sometime in the next 80 posts or so. 

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Did you mean to type OP and Caryl? If so I echo your thoughts. I'm also hoping for a return by Mr. Ridgus sometime in the next 80 posts or so. 

No, it was a reference to 'Lord Protector'. This sobriquet was I think bestowed/adopted before my time on the thread, and I don't know its origin. But, one tries to fit in.

And yes, it would be surprising if the old statistician were to miss that approaching milestone.

I see. By O.P. I meant original poster, so we were indeed referring to the same individual.

I'm still getting nowhere with your posse of diggers by the way.

31 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The English language! When you wrote, "I'm also hoping for a return by Mr. Ridgus ... ", I thought you meant, "I too am hoping for the return of Mr. Ridgus ..."; whereas you meant, "In addition, I am hoping for a return of Mr. Ridgus ..."

A clue for my chaps soon.

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

They were commanded by this chap. And there are some 10 'firsts' that can be attached ...

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The English language! When you wrote, "I'm also hoping for a return by Mr. Ridgus ... ", I thought you meant, "I too am hoping for the return of Mr. Ridgus ..."; whereas you meant, "In addition, I am hoping for a return of Mr. Ridgus ..."

My grammar isn't as polished as it could be, yet "eloquent profanity; it rolls right off my tongue." 

Are your men on a ship? 

The pace of WiT? has been way too fast for me lately, but then I am a bear of very little brain. Just to answer some of the queries above, when I saw the thread statto in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago he assured me he will be back once he has prepared his young charges for the ordeal of their exams, a task which he approaches with total diligence, as you would expect.

The Lord Protector is the founder of our feast Mr Drill. If I remember correctly he responded to a WiT? with a quote from Oliver Cromwell, I think it might have been the one about preferring a man who knows why he fights. I described him as 'Our Chief of Men' which is the quote from Milton (although I was convinced it was Andrew Marvell). We settled on Lord Protector while joshing with Mr Drill subsequently and it kind of stuck. It was once upon a time, a very long time ago now, about last Friday.......

Pete.

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

The pace of WiT? has been way too fast for me lately, but then I am a bear of very little brain. Just to answer some of the queries above, when I saw the thread statto in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago 

Pete.

The two of you on my doorstep. I wish I'd known. 😭

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

So he is Henry Hadley.

Hi UG

As NF has put up his Wiki link, I took his picture from this item

https://1914centenary.com/2014/08/03/the-briton-killed-within-hours-of-outbreak-of-ww1/

Are your fellows more involved in the Far East?

Sorry about delay in replying,have been out

Edited by Knotty

Are they the fellows that took out the German wireless station at Rabaul?

The Australians/NewZealanders suffered their first fatalities of both officers and other ranks.

More digging to find out names etc.

Do you require the name of the commanding officer as well?

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Are they the fellows that took out the German wireless station at Rabaul?

The Australians/NewZealanders suffered their first fatalities of both officers and other ranks.

Correct! The Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force. 

Source of photos:

https://nswanzaccentenary.records.nsw.gov.au/in-service/australian-naval-and-military-expeditionary-force/

https://canadabayconnections.wordpress.com/tag/rabaul-force/

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Do you require the name of the commanding officer as well?

No thanks, that's hardly a challenge! He was William Holmes: he was killed at Messines in 1917. But what were the ten or so 'firsts'?

Edited by Uncle George

*Able Seaman  C V William shot and killed, first Australian 

*Medical Officer Captain B C A Pockley shot & killed, first officer from downunder.

*First bayonet charge by “Anzacs”

* Lt Bond RANR awarded DSO, first medal in WW1,for actions in quelling the enemy

*First combined Aus/NZ force

Thats a start from me, however not sure how many are correct

Just a thought, first action on German Territory?

Edited by Knotty

There is also the loss of an Australian submarine a few days later, first sub loss of WW1 maybe.

According to these sites:

http://www.navy.gov.au/history/feature-histories/gallipoli-australian-operations-1914

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-heroes/an-mef.htm

the "notable Australian firsts" which this force can claim are:

1. the first land operation of the war,

2. the first amphibious landing, 

3.the first joint operation,

4. the first coalition operation,

5. the first offshore military expedition planned and coordinated by Australia, 

6.the first bravery decoration of the war,

7. the first RAN warship lost,

8. the first enemy warship sunk,

9. the first recorded Australian casualty - Able Seaman William G V Williams,

10. the first Australian officer to be killed - Captain  Brian Colden Antill Pockley, Australian Army Medical Corps (AAMC).

I was getting there .... but slowly, nice one UG, a”traditional” WiT

Edited by Knotty

I was characteristically way off the mark with my V.C. winners suggestion, but yes, good one U.G.👍

Relatively easy one,  he is incredibly a first and only VC, mentioned on the Forum but not on WiT, probably very familiar.

B68F2598-32B8-46AC-8AA8-0643B72C69DB.jpeg

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

Relatively easy one,  he is incredibly a first and only VC, mentioned on the Forum but not on WiT, probably very familiar.

B68F2598-32B8-46AC-8AA8-0643B72C69DB.jpeg

I believe he is William Hackett, who was the first (and only-according to my source) tunneller V.C.