Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

30 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

John, I think I prefer the Caterpillar slightly more open, I think you get a better sense of scale.

I have yet to see it opened up, so I will reserve judgement. I intend to start revisiting the battlefields once all the centennial celebrations are over and dare I say normality is resumed. 

(Yes you might detect there is a little bit of bitterness, my ticket bought in 2015 for the  Passchendaele ceremony  was cancelled due to quote “the unexpected number of dignitaries requiring space”.)

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I have yet to see it opened up, so I will reserve judgement. I intend to start revisiting the battlefields once all the centennial celebrations are over and dare I say normality is resumed. 

(Yes you might detect there is a little bit of bitterness, my ticket bought in 2015 for the  Passchendaele ceremony  was cancelled due to quote “the unexpected number of dignitaries requiring space”.)

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

He looks a bit like James McPherson, but since he was killed at Atlanta in 1864 it's clearly not him. Just ignore me. Just returning to Hill 60 and Australian tunnellers, the article is 'interesting' in the light of a current thread about media reporting from down under (if you'll pardon the pun). Woodward's company didn't dig the Hill 60 and Caterpillar mines, they were already dug and charged when they took over, having been constructed by British and then Canadian tunnellers. Keeping them safe and ready for seven months prior to detonation was no mean feat and deserving of recognition, and I think of all of them, French, British, Canadian and Australian with awe when I'm at Hill 60 and the Caterpillar. As has been pointed out elsewhere any programme which has 'forgotten' in the title should immediately sound alarm bells, and the conclusion in the article as to why they are forgotten is for me complete and utter b******ks.

Having got that off my chest, here is the result of all of the tunnellers handiwork. The first photo of the Hill 60 hole is mine, the second is by Major Marilyne and is sullied by a man in serious need of a haircut. What it does have is some members of the public in the background to give a proper sense of scale.....

5aec425eb930b_TheHill60Crater.thumb.JPG.a83430d84413dba9e477f3701394e27d.JPG

5aec436c5114c_CratersPlugstreetAPR15-Caterpillar.JPG.1221e72f9745a94dff54e6f042721ebe.JPG

Here are one or two pictures I took on my trip over there a couple of years back.

Caterpillar mine, and a topical memorial.

In one Caterpillar mine picture there is a lady in pink barely visible on the opposite side to give it some sort of perspective. Another shows my son standing next to lone tree as close to the centre as was managable. He lacks the film star looks of the hunk in Pete's picture, but again helps to introduce some element of perspection. 

20180504_151614.png.4d1487e3b0b19a1a4addbacc258158d4.png20180504_151838.png.2115efe3d96ce5016bca38fb0f3609fc.png20180504_151710.png.d6853b8e10596ff8b2594a70183d5898.png20180504_151357.png.b036d0c0017472e57ae8590826057a8f.png20180504_151531.png.7b2537b5202f878e02f565e37507f348.png

Edited by neverforget

If we are not careful this will soon become a Where is This thread:lol::D:whistle:

I do jest.....maybe

Edited by Knotty

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

If we are not careful this will soon become a Where is This thread:lol::D:whistle:

I do jest.....

I'm in, and I don't jest, I have no sensayuma whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

He lacks the film star looks of the hunk in Pete's picture

It's not the panacea to everything that you think it is, it's not easy.

Do we have any clues on offer for the American Civil War lookalike by the way? Not that it will do me any good of course.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

GMF on Slim:

"He has been called the best battlefield general since Wellington, which takes in some heavy competition, from Lee and Grant to Montgomery and Rommel. Certainly no general ever did more with less; in every way, he was one of the great captains.

"British soldiers don't love their commanders, much less worship them; Fourteenth Army trusted Slim and thought of him as one of themselves, and perhaps his real secret was that the feeling was mutual. I have a picture of him at a Burma Reunion, standing awkwardly but looking so content, with his soldiers jostling and grinning round him - and that day by the lake, nodding and wishing us luck and turning  away under the trees." 

Any excuse ...

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Do we have any clues on offer for the American Civil War lookalike by the way? Not that it will do me any good of course.

My mention of Robertson was one such clue. Not a very good one, I'll give you that.

The american soldier is Tasker H Bliss Robertson's equivalent in the US Army. He's post Civil War but only just.

Tony

Another American he did serve in the military but is better known for something that connects him to this forum.

1755g2.jpg.8c1490f6299e29f01693bd590bf14102.jpg

36 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

The american soldier is Tasker H Bliss Robertson's equivalent in the US Army. He's post Civil War but only just.

Tony

Yes, he is Tasker Bliss - the US Army's Chief of Staff from 1917 to May 1918. The 'Robertson' clue was also a reference to Robertson's 1926 memoir, 'Soldiers and Statesmen'; for this is how Bliss is described in this article (from where the photograph is to be found):

https://www.army.mil/article/26498/soldier_and_statesman_tasker_h_bliss

and that is what he was. He was US Plenipotentiary at the Paris Peace Conference, and one of the US signatories of Versailles.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.227049

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.527917

Edited by Uncle George

2 hours ago, ajsmith said:

Another American he did serve in the military but is better known for something that connects him to this forum.

1755g2.jpg.8c1490f6299e29f01693bd590bf14102.jpg

Is he Nicolas Lucero?

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Nicolas Lucero?

No afraid not. My man did not serve on the front line although he attained the rank of captain. 

Getting nowhere with this chap. Is he mixed race? Latino? Is he a member of the 'Borinqueneers' - the 65th Infantry, the (segregated) Puerto Rican regiment?

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Getting nowhere with this chap. Is he mixed race? Latino? Is he a member of the 'Borinqueneers' - the 65th Infantry, the (segregated) Puerto Rican regiment?

None of these things as far as I know he's white, though he doesn't look it in this photo. His connection to the genesis of this forum is the key and it's a musical one.

2 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

There’s a Long Long Trail. Stoddard King wrote the lyrics. 😀

That's right he also served as a captain the National Guard.

AJ that was a good one, no where near getting him, well played Margretnolan

Recommended for a VC, this fellow ended up with a DSM for his action. After the war  he was implacated along with others in a mutiny. His subsequent court martial  saw him dismissed from the service and sent to  prison.

ADF304A4-DC72-40A4-A554-06BDA5BAABAE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

AJ that was a good one, no where near getting him, well played Margretnolan

Recommended for a VC, this fellow ended up with a DSM for his action. After the war  he was implacated along with others in a mutiny. His subsequent court martial  saw him dismissed from the service and sent to  prison.

ADF304A4-DC72-40A4-A554-06BDA5BAABAE.jpeg

He is Leading Seaman Dalmorton Joseph Owendale Rudd. (Any relation to the PM?)

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Rudd. (Any relation to the PM?)

I think you mean "Any relation to the XHS".

Ron

51 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think you mean "Any relation to the XHS".

Ron

No, my reference was to that Kevin Rudd, PM of Australia a few years ago.

Amber - future PM? I wouldn't rule it out. 

My recent references to George MacDonald Fraser bring us to this Flashman lookalike. But who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George
Grammar

Another one who looks a bit like Officer Crabtree from ‘Allo ‘Allo:thumbsup:

67B726F7-63CA-47CA-B2F6-B2A3BE09BE67.jpeg

The book was set in and around the mid 1870’s in the US of A, so I will say an American who was either born then, making him around the 40+ years of age during WW1, or the picture dates from then making him about 60+ mark, so a noted military man  or a statesman is the question?

Still working on it, but may have to defer whilst out with family.

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The book was set in and around the mid 1870’s in the US of A ...

That is only partially true.