Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

"Omne capax movet urna nomen."

That's easy for you to say!

Is it Horace Pippin? (He asked straws firmly clutched)

The man on whom my O-level history pass was based.  If you learned enough about him, a pass was guaranteed.  Woodrow Wilson 28th President of the US.  Not sure about the Flashman connection as this might be a heresy - I don't actually like the books.  I love GMacDF's other works but not the ones he is best known for.

54 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That's easy for you to say!

Is it Horace Pippin? (He asked straws firmly clutched)

"Every name is shaken in death's great urn". Horace, as you intimate. As we are on a Flasman theme, this is one of the latin tags thrown around by John Charity Spring in 'Flash for Freedom'. It could serve as a pretentious motto for WiT.

As for my chap: we have had many obscure subjects. But this chap will be very well known by every member of this forum.

4 minutes ago, Nepper said:

Woodrow Wilson 28th President of the US.  

Yes - our posts overlapped. 

6 minutes ago, Nepper said:

Not sure about the Flashman connection as this might be a heresy - I don't actually like the books.  

Bite your tongue!

He had two first first to his name,who is he?

Regiment = Royal Irish, other clues to follow if required.

21B4C45F-3752-41B6-9E4E-D85E07BD3447.jpeg

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

He had two first first to his name,who is he?

Regiment = Royal Irish, other clues to follow if required.

21B4C45F-3752-41B6-9E4E-D85E07BD3447.jpeg

Is he Frederick Room V.C?

Edited by neverforget

Not Frederick Room VC.

He obtained his commission in the Royal Irish pre 1914, and was KiA 1917.

Not to say he was still serving with them at the time of his death.

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Not Frederick Room VC.

He obtained his commission in the Royal Irish pre 1914, and was KiA 1917.

Ah, that would rule out anyone killed in the Easter Rising then, which for some reason was my other train of thought.

Back to the drawing board.😊

April was the month of his demise, which should give another clue.

Which immediately brings Arras to mind of course. 

Is he C J Burke?  RIR then RFC but unusually(?) transferred back to the infantry and killed at Arras while serving as CO of 1st East Lancs.

NF/ Nepper you are both correct about Arras, Nepper you are on the right lines with RFC, another clue he was awarded  the DSO back in 1915.

Captain George Edward Henry McElroy?

No I’m afraid it’s not McElroy.

Another clue is that one of his planes is one of the few original WW1 planes that has survived to this day.

Hubert Harvey-Kelly?  The firsts being first RFC pilot to land in France and first man to down a German aircraft.

Edited by Nepper

Well done that man,  Hubert Dunsterville Harvey-Kelly it is, the picture is a direct enlargement from the possesions returned by the Germans after his death in one of their Field Hospitals. (Full details in the link).

He has quite a history, and I have to confess, I was totally unaware that it is his original plane at the entrance to the IWM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.D._Harvey-Kelly

Good post John and well played Nepper. 👍

Seconded. Avery interesting individual. I'm always slightly bemused by the description of April 1917 over Arras as 'Bloody'. I can't remember the exact figure but the number of RFC/RNAS fatalities were something like 211 for the whole month. Some battalions on the ground lost that number in a matter of minutes; Arras was by some distance the worst battle for daily casualties in the whole war, the only period that comes close is not the Somme or 3rd Ypres but the last 100 (or so) days. An overlooked battle which is a pity.

Pete.

Hi Pete

It was truly a costly battle,somewhere in the region of 4000 casulties per day over the 39 days it lasted if I remember correctly, and like you say it is overlooked.

There was also a lot of politics going on at the time, so I would not be surprised if the true nature of the events were somewhat precluded  from the public eye.

Indeed. I have a personal reason to feel bitter, particularly concerning the events on May 3rd, which was known by the top brass to be a hopeless exercise, but this was disregarded for nothing more than appearances sake. A hell of a lot of lads lost their lives for nothing on that day which was quoted by one historian who's name escapes me at the moment, as the blackest of the whole war. The quote comes from "Cheerful Sacrifice" but I'm at work at the moment and don't have it to hand. 

This chap had an unorthodox war. He's not famous at all. But he was the father of a very famous singer. Of who was he the father? Bing Cosby? Vera Lynn? Gracie Fields?*

*No.

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

This chap had an unorthodox war. He's not famous at all. But he was the father of a very famous singer. Of who was he the father? Bing Cosby? Vera Lynn? Gracie Fields?*

*No.

image.jpg

Looks for all the world like Lance Percival-which reminds me...I must check  The Radio Times and see when TW3 is on this week-  Wouldn't want to be listening to the Light Programme and miss it.

30 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Looks for all the world like Lance Percival-which reminds me...I must check  The Radio Times and see when TW3 is on this week-  Wouldn't want to be listening to the Light Programme and miss it.

It does look like Lance!

Btw, the answer to #9874 is, it seems, Warwick Ward. [Who he? Ed.]

The caption to the photograph reads: " ... still of producer Warwick Ward (left) and director Harold French (centre) for his 1950 musical 'The Dancing Years', based on the play by Ivor Novello".

The chap on the right remains unidentified. It could be anyone, when you think about it.

Edited by Uncle George

36 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

*No.

image.jpg

I know this one U.G. I have him on an old video. He is Norvel Marley; father of one Robert Nestor, who held no fond memories of him. Was unaware till now of any great war connection though. The more one inhabits this thread the more one learns.

10,000 posts come and gone. Wow!