Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

You are rather south and east of the true location with the Tigers; David was correct with the Liverpool connection. The photo is taken from a team photograph of Liverpool FC (the original one) in 1914. Poulton-Palmer sits next to two other international captains.

Pete.

Please don't Caryl! I really can't find them and would love to be put out of my misery (you get the credit on the database that way too :thumbsup: Oh I forgot it's only me who cares about that :hypocrite: )

David

PS Re a recent discussion we had, did you notice another lady posting here today (and identifying a Daniel special into the bargain) - you are not alone!

I'll put you out of your misery then David. They are R A Lloyd, Ireland Captain. F H Turner Scotland Captain, and R W Poulton - Palmer England Captain

Ken Lees posted a picture of the whole Liverpool 1913-1914 team
I recognised Kendall, another England Captain, because I have that photo of him and obituaries that I posted in the above thread. Kendall and Turner have adjacent memorial stones at Kemmel
Yes, good to see I'm not the only female in the village

Harlequins don't play in stripes, David, though I can't speak for 1914. They look more like Leicester to me, although there is a West Country team who play in black, blue and white.

Ron

I just plumped for Quins because they were Palmer's principal team. however I gather from the extensive library that he also played for Liverpool and so courtesy of Pete and Caryl the scales are now falling from my eyes!

David

Edit: Just checked Ron and you were right, even pre-Great War the Quins kit was the same mix of colours as now

As Caryl says the memorial stones are in a quiet corner of the churchyard at Kemmel; sadly the fighting in April and May 1918 completely obliterated the whole area. I think there is a photo on my thread about viewpoints on the hill which shows a German aerial photo of the church after the battle. The attached was taken on a sunny afternoon last September. At least one of them and maybe both have obituaries in your birthday present David.

Pete.

post-101238-0-39319500-1406674120_thumb.

Well I think we are clear (apologies if I've missed anything) so how about this chap:

post-66715-0-05075800-1406728613_thumb.j

David

On 30/07/2014 at 23:57, ridgus said:

Well I think we are clear (apologies if I've missed anything) so how about this chap:

David

I have this book on my bookshelf...

image.jpg

Well my chap isn't Enzo Ferrari, Eddie

David

Can't remember if anyone else posted this, but in light of "still life with boots" being posted not too long ago ...

mw00084_zps4b1f55b9.jpg

The one at far left is an appalling likeness. I can recognise all these chaps off by heart anyway, but can anyone else?

Simon

I think my response would be similar to what prompted Gareth to post the picture of the soldiers in the first place - you know a lot of the names, you know a lot of the faces, but matching them up is another question entirely.

I've read a bit about this painting during it's renovation but it doesn't help much. I do remember that Arbuthnot, Cradock and Hood are all together at the back near the portrait of Nelson as the three Admirals killed in action during the war. I know Beatty is in the middle with his back to Jellicoe who is sitting reflectively in a chair looking every inch the "only man who could lose the war in an afternoon". I think that is Madden looking down on him, perhaps shielding him from the slings and arrows of Beatty et al, like a good Chief of Staff would. Apart from that it's all names and not faces. I presume Sturdee (directly under the wind dial?), Wemyss, de Robeck and Evan-Thomas are there somewhere.

Anyway by Gareth's scoring system I claim 6 (with a possible 7 if I'm right about Sturdee)

David

Nice post Simon but I can only lay claim to three; I think I might do better (or less badly) identifying their flagships. Perhaps another sporting hero might be in order while the deliberations go on.

Pete.

post-101238-0-02657800-1406757489_thumb.

Nice post Simon but I can only lay claim to three; I think I might do better (or less badly) identifying their flagships. Perhaps another sporting hero might be in order while the deliberations go on.

Pete.

Is that Charlie Buchan?

That is indeed Charlie Buchan of the Sherwood Foresters and the holder of the MM; he wrote a memoir which covers his time in France which has been quite useful in my research as he often mentioned other footballers he met. I need to find the original text one day as the internet extracts that I have found have some interesting geographical errors (like describing the leaning Virgin as being atop Arras church). I'd like to check they aren't transcription issues. His last match in a long and distinguished career was at Goodison Park on the day one Bill Dean scored the 58th, 59th and 60th goals of his record breaking season; apparently Buchan refused to shake Dean's hand at the end of the game according to my chums at the Everton Heritage Society. Buchan went on to an equally distinguished career in journalism and publishing.

No: 358 is Georges Boillot (Croix de Guerre and Legion d'Honneur)

He won the French Grand Prix in 1912.

On 21 April 1916 his plane was shot down and he was severely wounded. He died 19 May 1916 in a military hospital.

On 21 April 1916 his plane was shot down and he was severely wounded. He died 19 May 1916 in a military hospital.

So much for me thinking it was Enzo Ferrari then! I am better with VC citations than pictures.

Can't remember if anyone else posted this, but in light of "still life with boots" being posted not too long ago ...mw00084_zps4b1f55b9.jpg

The one at far left is an appalling likeness. I can recognise all these chaps off by heart anyway, but can anyone else?

There it is again.. the TEL connection. The Admiral on the far right is Wemyss who became Commander of the East Indies & Egyptian Squadron in January 1916 where he supported military operations on the Palestine Front. He encouraged the Arab Revolt under Emir Faisal and T E Lawrence who said that "Wemyss acted as godfather til the Arabs were on their feet".

That is indeed Charlie Buchan of the Sherwood Foresters and the holder of the MM; he wrote a memoir which covers his time in France which has been quite useful in my research as he often mentioned other footballers he met. I need to find the original text one day as the internet extracts that I have found have some interesting geographical errors (like describing the leaning Virgin as being atop Arras church). I'd like to check they aren't transcription issues. His last match in a long and distinguished career was at Goodison Park on the day one Bill Dean scored the 58th, 59th and 60th goals of his record breaking season; apparently Buchan refused to shake Dean's hand at the end of the game according to my chums at the Everton Heritage Society. Buchan went on to an equally distinguished career in journalism and publishing.

Pete

Well, well, well, I certainly did not know of his Great War exploits; I just recognised him as a footballer. 'Charles Buchan's Football Monthly' was my magazine of choice throughout the 1960s. One of the first Annuals I had included an article about football and the Great War (on reflection it may have been on the 50th anniversary) and I remember vividly the picture of an old deflated football with the word Loos written on it. It also had an article about our old WIT friend Major Frank Buckley as well as one on Vivian Woodward. I'm sure it did not mention the magazine's founder, which, on reflection, as he had recently died seems a strange omission.

David

PS Apropos of nothing, I always think in his Arsenal days he bears more than a passing resemblance to Gareth Bale

Good spot again helpjpl.

Before his aerial exploits he was Joffre's chauffeur renowned for hurtling the Commander in Chief between his different Army Headquarters at the extraordinary speed of 70 mph.

David

Apart from wrestling with Simon's sailors, I think we are all clear at the moment. I would be amazed if anyone recognised this chap. However you might know his name and you will definitely recognise lots of his pictures:

post-66715-0-85319400-1406786399_thumb.j

David

Quite right cdr, Matania it is. 'Goodbye, Old Man' and 'The Last General Absolution of the Munsters' are probably his best known pieces but there are dozens and dozens of other examples. I know he is generally regarded as too sentimental/emotive but I love his pictures for their detail and realism. In reading up the background before posting his picture I was astounded to find out he contributed to 'Look and Learn' in the early 1960s.

David

Quite right cdr, Matania it is. 'Goodbye, Old Man' and 'The Last General Absolution of the Munsters' are probably his best known pieces but there are dozens and dozens of other examples. I know he is generally regarded as too sentimental/emotive but I love his pictures for their detail and realism. In reading up the background before posting his picture I was astounded to find out he contributed to 'Look and Learn' in the early 1960s.

David

Good one David. I could kick myself for not thinking of Matania. 'The Last Absolution of the Munsters' is one of my favourite paintings of the war, and not because of any religious preference, but because of the atmosphere that emanates from it. The forum thread of the same name is also one of my favourite forum threads.

Good one David. I could kick myself for not thinking of Matania. 'The Last Absolution of the Munsters' is one of my favourite paintings of the war, and not because of any religious preference, but because of the atmosphere that emanates from it. The forum thread of the same name is also one of my favourite forum threads.

I'll need to look at that thread. But I think you've nailed the word about Matania - atmosphere.

David

Regarding Goodbye Old Man, I can, should I so wish, look at it every working day (pretty much).

Playing catch up again. After my four nights stint, it`s now four days off, and so back to W.I.T.

Another V.C. Citation on the way for "Fast Eddie", who has gobbled up my last two, but in the meantime, I don`t think we`ve had this tosh yet:

Just to avoid confusion; this is not a V.C. wallah, but he was an inventor. Enlisted in a sportsmen`s btn.

post-95959-0-08906300-1406906591_thumb.j