Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That's by Eric Kennington. Not sure of the exact name.

Right again, Gareth. I think it is called "Gassed and wounded", and portrays the casualties from the Michael offensive bombardment.

Caryl

Is that a picture of messrs Alcock and Brown? Without having a dig around I can't remember which is which.

Pete.

Caryl

Is that a picture of messrs Alcock and Brown? Without having a dig around I can't remember which is which.

Pete.

It is Pete. Captain Alcock is on the left. Reading the account of their flight across the Atlantic, it's a wonder they didn't die of hypothermia when the heating in their suits stopped working '...we froze like puppies...'. Scary stuff!

http://www.aviation-history.com/airmen/alcock.htm

PS NF, I forgot to congratulate you on your "diggers" reference. I never knew that until I looked at the link

I don't know, spend a few hours gardening, come back inside for lunch and find I've missed two cracking pages of WITs. Eric Kennington is an old friend of WIT as we have seen him as a painter and as sculptor of our patron saint's effigy in Wareham.

My WAIWA at #432 seems to have slipped under the radar so just as a reminder:

"massive and paunchy in his baggy uniform he looked like Santa Claus and gave an impression of benevolence and naiveté - two qualities not noticeably part of his character."

David

That's got to be Joffre, David.

That's got to be Joffre, David.

That's got to be right Steve, well done :thumbsup:

It is Mr Broomfield's birthday today and I promised him an Hussar. So here are two:

post-66715-0-64252200-1407074867_thumb.g post-66715-0-96282700-1407074882_thumb.j

The first one is ridiculously easy, but the second isn't.

Happy Birthday Steven

David

Eric Kennington is an old friend of WIT as we have seen him as a painter and as sculptor of our patron saint's effigy in Wareham.

David

This is good stuff. I like it.

Hussar no. 1 looks remarkably like Douglas Haig and the second looks very familiar; however I think we may have to wait until Mr B has finished his birthday cake and takes a break from quoting Mr Renshaw's cult classic out loud.

Pete.

The one on the left is, I suspect, Haig. The one on the right looks suspiciously like Captain J A Halliday of the 11th. If I'm right, the picture is intriguing - it looks as if it is from the set taken at Warburg Barracks, Aldershot, on the outbreak of war. The copy in the regimental history has all the officers bare-headed; assuming I'm correct, the chap partly shown on the left (i.e. to Halliday's right) is Major R J P Anderson, DSO, the 2 i/c, who took over command on Pitman's promotion to command 3rd Cavalry Brigade.

Halliday died of wounds received while commanding B Squadron at Messines, and is buried at Cricklade, Wilts.

I could be wrong ...

But it seems unlikely Mr B!

Glad to see age is not encroaching on the eyesight or the grey matter, it is indeed Haig and Captain Halliday.

The Wisden really does seem the birthday gift of choice around the Forum. It was a good week before my wife started screaming as I read her yet another extract, which is almost a record for Great War related material.

Enjoy the rest of the day (and Hampshire cantered up by 5 wickets as well)

David

Here's another cavalryman to keep us going:

post-48281-0-84507300-1407096766_thumb.j

But it seems unlikely Mr B!

Glad to see age is not encroaching on the eyesight or the grey matter, it is indeed Haig and Captain Halliday.

The Wisden really does seem the birthday gift of choice around the Forum. It was a good week before my wife started screaming as I read her yet another extract, which is almost a record for Great War related material.

Enjoy the rest of the day (and Hampshire cantered up by 5 wickets as well)

David

And Halliday is, of course, in the book (though it is less than complimentary about his batting style!).

Oh, and I don't do T20. Pointless exercise.

Working on Steve`s cavalryman, but if he`s from where I think he is, then there were an awful lot of them.

Meantime, do you know who this one is???

Distinguished service in WW1, and had a famous son.

post-95959-0-00603600-1407098728_thumb.jpost-95959-0-63422800-1407098758_thumb.j

Inmates and Witters

Martin G's tour de force in identifying 2Lt Giradot here on WIT has made it into the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705864/Mystery-First-World-War-officers-portrait-solved-researchers-discover-teenager-killed-shell-beginning-conflict.html

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I thought it should feature in WIT anyway

David

Working on Steve`s cavalryman, but if he`s from where I think he is, then there were an awful lot of them.

Meantime, do you know who this one is???

Distinguished service in WW1, and had a famous son.

attachicon.gifhy.jpgattachicon.gif1-flemingmedium.jpg

NF

Major Fleming. Son Ian Fleming (file title was a bit of a giveaway :hypocrite: )

David

Inmates and Witters

Martin G's tour de force in identifying 2Lt Giradot here on WIT has made it into the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705864/Mystery-First-World-War-officers-portrait-solved-researchers-discover-teenager-killed-shell-beginning-conflict.html

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I thought it should feature in WIT anyway

David

It was posted in Skindles David but deserves a mention on the main forum so I'm glad you've brought it up. I think the Daily Mail had the only article mentioning the forum. I noticed on the BBC South-West Wales page they had this 'The portrait was a mystery solved by Art Detective, a website where experts try to piece together missing information about paintings' Although Martin's research was mentioned as the evidence submitted.

It was posted in Skindles David but deserves a mention on the main forum so I'm glad you've brought it up. I think the Daily Mail had the only article mentioning the forum. I noticed on the BBC South-West Wales page they had this 'The portrait was a mystery solved by Art Detective, a website where experts try to piece together missing information about paintings' Although Martin's research was mentioned as the evidence submitted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-28358763

Caryl

Well I'm pleased at least that Martin is getting the credit for his research, but it's a shame the Forum didn't get a bigger puff

David

PS I am of course 'enjoying' the normal level of respect from my daughters who are hooting with laughter at the description of me as an 'amateur historian'!

NF

Major Fleming. Son Ian Fleming (file title was a bit of a giveaway :hypocrite: )

David

Oh dear.....Wot a perlonka! :blush:

I`m certainly making them easier and easier. That`s all going to change tomorrow. Ho ho ho.........

PS I am of course 'enjoying' the normal level of respect from my daughters who are hooting with laughter at the description of me as an 'amateur historian'!

Normal levels of familial respect and veneration for pater in the Ridgus houshold I see. Serves you right for making me buy books instead of sausages. I will add a late night photo for everyone's consideration. This gentleman is seen in a senior role in the late unpleasantness but was a midshipman in HMS Ajax and served in destroyers in WW1.

post-101238-0-38233000-1407105454_thumb.

Is it "Johnny" Walker, DSO***?

After my spate of easy ones, (including leaving the filename in my last effort) the party`s over, and it`s time to ramp up the difficulty again. Ho ho ho.

So can you tell me who is this??

post-95959-0-80082300-1407149668_thumb.j

Represented Great Britain in the 1908 and 1912 Olympics. Achieved three world records.

Killed in action 1917.

It's Percy Courtman, NF

David