Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Or maybe Joseph Galleni? Didn't Joffre fire Larenzac for being too timid? My other thought was Messimy but I think he got fired at the end of August too. I'm going for Galleni. Nice paragraph either way.

Pete.

Or maybe Joseph Galleni? Didn't Joffre fire Larenzac for being too timid? My other thought was Messimy but I think he got fired at the end of August too. I'm going for Galleni. Nice paragraph either way.

Pete.

Lanrezac ?

Lanrezac it is Steve.

Joffre did indeed sack Lanrezac for not going on the offensive but as Tuchman seeks to show, he had been warning Joffre for some time that his position was untenable.

David

I don't think we've had this next chap before; which is surprising:

post-66715-0-08997600-1407254822_thumb.j

David

I don't think we've had this one either. Surprising if we haven't

Is it Augustus John, Caryl?

David

I don't think we've had this next chap before; which is surprising:

attachicon.gifdri 249.jpg

David

Helmut von Moltke? (the younger)

Ron

Helmut von Moltke? (the younger)

Ron

Afraid not Ron

And you would both be right, von Francois it was.

Here's another chap I'm surprised we've not had before:

post-66715-0-32103100-1407310774_thumb.j

David

Another clue to the identity of mine in post 508.

This photo was also taken yesterday, in the same location as the one in 510

Hmmm! Still struggling Caryl. Tricky to use the extensive library on this one. You don't want to be googling 'old woman's bust' or 'mother in law's bust' any time soon!

His beard is too well kept for Rodin, and anyway he does have an air of 'Englishness' about him. He doesn't look like Moore, Epstein or Tonks. Did he design the memorial you photographed?

David

Is David's guess in post #509 very close? I seem to remember reading about a chap with the surname of John who was a painter and a designer/architect of Great War memorials but I can't for the life of me remember his first name. He was probably Sir someting John in the end.

I think you're right, Gareth, is it W Goscombe john ?

Much doffing of cap in the direction of Gareth and Steve. I think you've nailed it gentlemen. Knowing Caryl lives in the North West I was looking at war memorials in that area. I think this is at Port Sunlight on the Wirral.

David

Is David's guess in post #509 very close? I seem to remember reading about a chap with the surname of John who was a painter and a designer/architect of Great War memorials but I can't for the life of me remember his first name. He was probably Sir someting John in the end.

I think you're right, Gareth, is it W Goscombe john ?

Yes both right. William Goscombe John, a sculptor born in Wales, whose works included so many of the figures on war memorials in the UK. I was surprised at the length of the list
The memorial in the photo above is one of his works and is the one in Port Sunlight village to employees of Lever Bros. and those from Port Sunlight. David was very close and did have the right surname. I probably should have told him but thought the photo of the sculpture of Goscombe's mother-in-law Clara Weiss (in Lady Lever Art gallery at Port Sunlight) was a massive clue but turned out not to be. (Sorry David) The mother-in-law sculpture is called 'Age', one of my favourite pieces in the gallery, looks so life-like and is the plaster version polished with linseed oil - the marble version is in the National Museum of Wales Cardiff
His portrait in the NPG is by Erich Wolfsfeld

Caryl

No problem, that was a good one.

Inmates

I'm off to Norfolk for a few days so my chap at 515 will have to wait (Clue: He was a minor character to whom we owe some of our knowledge of what happened between the French and British at the start of the war. The word used to describe minor characters in historical dramas would help you find the answer). I've less than a hundred pages of WIT to go on the spreadsheet so should be able to finish it next week (just passed 650 people with neverforget's masterpiece of Princess Anastasia and Anna Anderson).

David

Reporting back for duty now that my last four day stint is over. It`s not good being deprived of my addiction for four days at a time, but it`s always interesting, and enlightening to catch up.

I see that the thread has been remarkably quiet of late, and wonder if everyone is as stumped as myself.

Carl`s man looks vaguely familiar, and somehow quite impressive, but I`m sure I don`t know who David`s possibly French? extra? Cameo? is yet.

Carl's looks Belgian but doesn't match any of the photos I can find of any of them. It looks vaguely like an aged Alphonse Jacques de Dixmude ?

Tintin?