Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Gosh David! That is quite an achievement. Oh memories, memories.

I really don't want to rattle any moderating cages (again) or give anyone extra work but I might make a polite request to the mods that the WIT threads be moved back to 'Other' so that they're visible to guests/non-members and posts will be included in Google searches if any of the names are entered - or even make the whole of 'Chit Chat' visible to outsiders because a lot of other good threads are in there. So much excellent information posted and the part where Martin G discovered the identity of the previously unidentified soldier in a painting really deserves a wider audience, especially after it had some media attention. As it stands, if anyone looks for that story via Google it would lead them to other articles and not all of them mention the forum where it all happened.

(Although it goes without saying that I'm glad that the thread was moved out of Skindles)

Carry on :)

Chums

With regard to my mystery man there is a clue in the name of the jpg file if you hover over it (your mouse rather than yourselves, levitation is not necessary). He was a noted pre-war sportsman who I believe has been inducted to the hall of fame of his sport.

Pete.

I really don't want to rattle any moderating cages (again) or give anyone extra work but I might make a polite request to the mods that the WIT threads be moved back to 'Other' so that they're visible to guests/non-members and posts will be included in Google searches if any of the names are entered - or even make the whole of 'Chit Chat' visible to outsiders because a lot of other good threads are in there. So much excellent information posted and the part where Martin G discovered the identity of the previously unidentified soldier in a painting really deserves a wider audience, especially after it had some media attention. As it stands, if anyone looks for that story via Google it would lead them to other articles and not all of them mention the forum where it all happened.

(Although it goes without saying that I'm glad that the thread was moved out of Skindles)

Carry on :)

Well if it's head over the parapet time then a hearty hear, hear from this corner to Caryl's request.

David

Chums

With regard to my mystery man there is a clue in the name of the jpg file if you hover over it (your mouse rather than yourselves, levitation is not necessary). He was a noted pre-war sportsman who I believe has been inducted to the hall of fame of his sport.

Pete.

You are, I believe, a Python aficionado. Does Spam have a connection here? Tinned meat anyway.

You are, I believe, a Python aficionado. Does Spam have a connection here? Tinned meat anyway.

If it does I will be fascinated UG, but I am not aware of it; I will however be fascinated to hear your logic. I've been trying to come up with a form of words to impart the information that the sport involved used smaller balls than my usual sporting heroes and involved an implement. As you can imagine it's not easy without constructing double entendres.

Pete.

If it does I will be fascinated UG, but I am not aware of it; I will however be fascinated to hear your logic. I've been trying to come up with a form of words to impart the information that the sport involved used smaller balls than my usual sporting heroes and involved an implement. As you can imagine it's not easy without constructing double entendres.

Pete.

I guessed a connection with the (Passchendaele) "Siege of 'Fray Bentos' ", with which no doubt you are familiar.

I was thinking laterally about the spam concept (while desperately fighting the urge to work the Spam song into the post) and wondered if you had come across a footballer called Maconnachie. Am I correct in saying that Fray Bentos was the name of the tank which was surrounded during the later stages of 3rd Ypres? I'd love to know more either way; following my last trip to the Salient in June I'm starting to understand the ground a whole lot better. My man sadly fell over two years before.

Pete.

I was thinking laterally about the spam concept (while desperately fighting the urge to work the Spam song into the post) and wondered if you had come across a footballer called Maconnachie. Am I correct in saying that Fray Bentos was the name of the tank which was surrounded during the later stages of 3rd Ypres? I'd love to know more either way; following my last trip to the Salient in June I'm starting to understand the ground a whole lot better. My man sadly fell over two years before.

Pete.

Yes, the Siege of Fray Bentos - the tank crew's defence of their stranded tank just yards from Bosche lines for three days and nights, with only water from the tank's radiator to drink. The commander, Capt. Donald Richardson, a grocer before the War, was awarded the MC. His son served in the Royal Tank Regiment during WW2 and was killed at El Alamein.

Thanks UG, one of the many things I am getting to grips with where Ypres is concerned is the use of tanks. To facilitate the identification of my man; he was in France at least two years before the bulk of his fellow countrymen arrived and when choosing which service to join he took Churchill's advice. He was a countryman of one of my most recent posts.

Pete.

You may notice that both the old Who Is This thread and this one have migrated from Chit Chat to Other - this is following a request and enable the threads to be viewable by guests and picked up by search engines - they weren't when residing in Chit Chat

Alan

When this thread was moved to Skindles, because of the amount of off topic chat, there were howls of outrage - well, if anyone would care to take a look through the last few pages, we see discussions of Groucho Marx, Inspector Clouseau, Tintin and holidaying in Stellenbosch. I know these have branched off from other, perhaps more valid posts, but please, can we try and cut them out?

Thanks....

I've been unsure about posting any photos as I've been unable to get into the forum intermittently but it seems ok at the moment so who is this?

Do we have a shared interest in WW1 Kiwi sportsmen?

I think it's NZ Davis Cup player and 4x times Wimbledon singles champion Tony Wilding.

He was also a cricketer and a keen biker and was killed in action at Aubers Ridge on 9 May 1915.

post-105192-0-21115000-1408116410_thumb.

Apparently in the early years of the 20th century it was common for vaudeville comedians to adopt stereotypical European accents. Chico retained his 'Italian' accent throughout his career; but Groucho felt obliged to drop his 'German' accent when USA entered the War."

A valid look at the impact of the War upon societal norms, I would say.

Helpjcl, we do and it is, well done. Tony Wilding, pre war multiple Wimbledon champion who joined the Marines on Churchill's advice apparently. He then moved to the Intelligence Corps due to his knowledge of the continent and then to the Royal Naval Armoured Car squadron. It was while he was while he was with the latter that he was killed when the dugout he was in took a direct hit. He is buried in Rue-de-Berceau in Richebourg d'Avoue. I chanced upon him while I was reading up on Aubers to try and map the frontages of the various attacks in the area.

I have an interest in the members of an amateur football team before the Great War in Auckland called Everton; I assume that as at least one of the members was born on Merseyside they were named after the professional club there. I need to verify some of the information but it would appear that eight members of the club died in the Great War which may well be why the club folded after the war. As I have researched their service I have been hugely impressed with the contribution of the NZ forces in the Great War and often pick up on men like Dave Gallaher.

Pete

You may notice that both the old Who Is This thread and this one have migrated from Chit Chat to Other - this is following a request and enable the threads to be viewable by guests and picked up by search engines - they weren't when residing in Chit Chat

Alan

Thank you Alan that is much appreciated.

David

Helpjcl, we do and it is, well done. Tony Wilding, pre war multiple Wimbledon champion who joined the Marines on Churchill's advice apparently. He then moved to the Intelligence Corps due to his knowledge of the continent and then to the Royal Naval Armoured Car squadron. It was while he was while he was with the latter that he was killed when the dugout he was in took a direct hit. He is buried in Rue-de-Berceau in Richebourg d'Avoue. I chanced upon him while I was reading up on Aubers to try and map the frontages of the various attacks in the area.

I have an interest in the members of an amateur football team before the Great War in Auckland called Everton; I assume that as at least one of the members was born on Merseyside they were named after the professional club there. I need to verify some of the information but it would appear that eight members of the club died in the Great War which may well be why the club folded after the war. As I have researched their service I have been hugely impressed with the contribution of the NZ forces in the Great War and often pick up on men like Dave Gallaher.

Pete

We had Wilding some time ago Pete but the picture was a meatball pitched by me and hit over the fence by our late and lamented leader as he was in tennis kit (I couldn't find a picture of him in uniform or mufti). A perfect example of why repeating is no problem. Your image was much more testing and produced a further interesting image

David

I'm getting nowhere with Pete's latest. But who are these two? They were involved in a celebrated 1915 trial. One, a Member of Parliament. The other, "by birth a German. He had served in the German army, and...still possessed an unmistakably German accent."

"The case...should always remain as a glowing example of the unswerving honesty and strict impartiality of an English jury."

In case this is thought to be off topic, I posted it as an illustration of how society and institutions were able to continue under the strains of the War. Here we have a case, determining in essence "Who was telling the truth?" Was it a German-born, German accented man, "a not very impressive figure, quite alone, without a friend in the world", recently released from internment? Or a Member of Parliament, whose work during the Marconi carryon "had been such as to arouse in Mr. Lloyd George a lasting sense of gratitude"?

"The first day of the trial opened at a singularly inauspicious moment...the sinking of the 'Lusitania' and the drowning of over a thousand of English passengers...the hatred of all Germans had reached a pitch bordering on frenzy."

The jury found in favour of the German after ten minutes. All quotes from 'Cases in Court', the memoirs of Sir Patrick Hastings.

Pete

I expect you are already aware of this free site, but just in case

Papers Past-National Library of New Zealand

paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

I've found it really useful for my NZ relations who served in WW1

Working my way through WIT??? and have reached our 1000th WIT (as opposed to our 1000th picture). It was suitably left field for this very 'Other' thread - Humphrey Bogart in the Marine Corp. It was posted by Caryl and solved by Mike (skipman).

David

Think my 548 of the circled soldier went down a black hole. My fault for going off on a wifi free holiday and leaving no clues. Here is another picture of him...

post-100478-0-98942900-1408125305_thumb.

First recipient in the Great War of the VC (posthumously), Lt Maurice Dease 4th Btn Royal Fusiliers. Along with Pvte Godley the same battalion.

Eddie

I expect you are already aware of this free site, but just in case

Papers Past-National Library of New Zealand

paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

I've found it really useful for my NZ relations who served in WW1

I was aware of it but I couldn't remember which post I'd seen it in so this is really useful, thank you. I've found the NZ records absolutely superb which is why I've tended to leave my Kiwi players until I've done the British and Chilean ones safe in the knowledge that there is lots of detail available.

Pete.

First recipient in the Great War of the VC (posthumously), Lt Maurice Dease 4th Btn Royal Fusiliers. Along with Pvte Godley the same battalion.

Eddie

Thats him...

Thanks UG, one of the many things I am getting to grips with where Ypres is concerned is the use of tanks.

Pete.

This from 'The Campaign of the Mud: Passchendaele', a chapter in Ll.G's 'War Memoirs':

"Any bombardment of this ground was bound to block and destroy every conduit, with the result that the whole area would be converted once more into an impassable quagmire...You might as well try to take tanks across the Slough of Despond.

"...the Tank Corps Staff prepared maps to show how a bombardment which obliterated the drainage would inevitably lead to a series of pools, and they located the exact spots where the waters would gather. The only reply vouchsafed to this effort to save the Army from disaster was a peremptory order that they were to 'Send no more of these ridiculous maps.' Maps must conform to plans and not plans to maps. Facts that interfered with plans were impertinences."