Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Brilliant, David. So much for ramping up the difficulty. :w00t:
I'll be back.....

Who is this???

Soldier. Writer. Teacher.post-95959-0-39065200-1407154937_thumb.jpost-95959-0-28140800-1407154953_thumb.j

Is it Jacques Riviere?

Not him I`m afraid.

He wrote several works, one of which was introduced into the French high-school curriculum, and has been adapted to film five times.

Attempted to take a pacifist stance at the outbreak of WW1, but was conscripted, and killed as per account below:

??? regiment attacked German lines near Fresnes-en-Woëvre, during which ??? was shot and wounded. He fell into barbed wire, where he became trapped. Some hours later, German soldiers rescued him and other wounded, taking the French soldiers to a temporary field hospital behind their lines. On the morning of 8 April, ??? and others were killed in a French artillery barrage that destroyed the hospital.

I susepect we might have had this chap before. Looking at the picture you might suspect him of being French. You'd be right. He is (sans moustache, but avec Gitanes)

post-6673-0-44021200-1407160131_thumb.jp

Is it "Johnny" Walker, DSO***?

Living life on the edge while wired on Vimto and Sanatogen (can you still get that stuff?) is clearly paying early dividends Mr B. Frederic John Walker RN it is. A junior officer in WW1 his greatness was cemented in WW2. Sailing out of Liverpool his flotilla accounted for more U-boats than any other formation if my memory is correct. Died of a brain aneurism just down the road from Owls Towers in Seaforth; the city of Liverpool who had adopted him and his boys as their own and turned out in great numbers for his funeral. My old mum used to talk about it.

Pete.

I susepect we might have had this chap before. Looking at the picture you might suspect him of being French. You'd be right. He is (sans moustache, but avec Gitanes)

That's Frederic-Louis Sauser, better known as Blaise Cendrars. Born in Switzerland but became a French citizen. Lost his right arm at Champagne in 1915. Fascinating life, the list of artists, writers, poets etc that he knew is endless.

Blaise Cendrars, indeed. Moravagine is certainly amongst the oddest novels I've read.

NF, hope we're allowed 2 guesses per WIT.

My excuse for the first post is that they look similar and both were soldiers, teachers and writers, but the film clue clinched it …… It's Louis Pergaud

post-105192-0-00172600-1407177933_thumb.

Edited by helpjpl

We`re allowed as many guesses as stamina allows, but no more will be needed on this one. It is indeed Louis Pergaud, and my next clue was going to refer to "buttons" :thumbsup:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pergaud

Nice picture by the way.

I think Carl`s cavalryman is Antoine Fonck. First Belgian to be killed. (4/8/14.)

Still no closer with Steve`s though...........Wild guess..Aleksey Brusilov?

The "ov" bit is right !

The "ov" bit is right !

I think we are going to need a clue Steve. The only cavalry 'ov' I know is Samsonov and it's not him

David

£5 on Kindle, £6 paperback.

When it was published in 1962 it was an immediate success including with one political leader. Kennedy gave a copy to Macmillan observing that 'somehow contemporary statesmen must avoid the pitfalls that led to August 1914'. He then quoted it during the Cuban Missile crisis saying he was determined not to stumble into a war as they had in 1914.

I think Steve is being slightly generous to Hastings who I think would be immensely flattered to be compared to Tuchman. In my opinion Catastrophe is nothing like as elegantly written or as powerful. In the edition of '...August' I have in front of me the Foreword by Robert K Massie ends 'By turning this page, the fortunate person who has not yet encountered this book can begin to read.' My thoughts exactly.

David

Hard to resist such a description so I gave in. :)

I'm now reading this book David, and so far so good. I like Barbara Tuchman's writing style, and it is a refreshing change to other books I've tried to read on the outbreak of war, and events leading up to it, that were so tinderbox dry it's a wonder they didn't spontaneously combust!

A long clue for my cavalryman:

"A Cossack and by all accounts, quite a cruel one: if he was in London he'd probably swap his horse for a bike !"

Not him Caryl. My chap was executed by the Soviets in 1927, having fought on after 1918 in Siberia.

Bet his first name's Boris.

I'll dip out there, then. Success goes to my head, you know.

Hard to resist such a description so I gave in. :)

I'm now reading this book David, and so far so good. I like Barbara Tuchman's writing style, and it is a refreshing change to other books I've tried to read on the outbreak of war, and events leading up to it, that were so tinderbox dry it's a wonder they didn't spontaneously combust!

She always said she was a writer first and an historian second, which wouldn't endear her to everyone on the Forum!

I'm glad you are enjoying it

David

A long clue for my cavalryman:

"A Cossack and by all accounts, quite a cruel one: if he was in London he'd probably swap his horse for a bike !"

Boris Annenkov?

That's the man, David,

Following the fighting in Siberia, he fled south to China and was captured; Britain, amongst several countries, successfully petitioned for his release but he was then captured again and handed over to the Soviets. They finally executed him in 1927.

I think we are clear now so how about another WAIWA:

"Exasperated, like all men of rapid mind at the blindness of others and accustomed to respect as a strategist, he continued to hector GQG. Joffre grew irritated at his constant criticism and contentiousness. He conceived the whole duty of generals was to be lions in action and dogs in obedience, an ideal to which ........, with a mind of his own and an urgent sense of danger, found it impossible to conform."

More from the incomparable Tuchman

David