Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I`ll try another. W.V.C.C.I.T???

"???'s company was on the right of the 54th Brigade front. It was held up by six machine gun posts on a hill opposite. ??? made up his mind to clear these posts. Armed with a revolver and carrying a cane, which he waved when he wanted his men to dash forward, ??? crawled up the hill under cover of a hedge. A sergeant was with him. A Lewis-gun section followed some distance behind. Breaking cover, ??? killed the first machine-gunner. Then he worked his way along the crest of the hill and dealt with three more machine gun posts, taking the feed-blocks out of the guns and securing altogether fourteen prisoners. The Lewis gun section came up to help. All the six Boche machine gun posts were captured, and as suddenly as it became clear that the three companies of the *********** that had been checked near Bousies Wood Farm, had by now worked round the enemy from the north, the German resistance collapsed.

The book 'V.C.'s of the First World War' reads: "To the north-east of Le Cateau on 24th October 1918, Captain F.W. Hedges of the Bedfordshire Regiment, attached to the 6th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment (54th Brigade, 18th Division), gained a V.C. when his battalion was attacking north-east of Bousies.

Spot on again, Eddie. Well found. I can see that these are too easy for you.

Well thank you, duckie !

With respect, I was referring to everyone`s apparent reluctance to actually come out and name your beautifully selected elephant Mr. Drill, which I thought had been solved back in post # 296.

Up until then, (after ruling Leefe-Robinson out) my best guess was Snoopy on the tail of the Red Baron.

My Walter Mitty posted several pages back (you have all been busy!) remains unidentified so I'd better reveal a bit more of his jaw dropping story.

He wrote a New York Times article in 1915, claiming that his aircraft designs would be used by the military. Part of the article - “(his) warplanes would be the largest heavier-than-air crafts ever built, powered by a 1600 horsepower motor, and able to carry bombs and other ammunition, in addition to a six-person crew.” He also claimed that the Allies had already ordered eleven of his planes, but they were never sold and this turned out to be just another of his many fraudulent claims.

He also claimed that he'd built and flown a plane in 1908 but no proof was ever found.

He persuaded a rich family to finance the building of the plane below claiming that it would be used to kidnap Kaiser Wilhelm II. The plane had a serious design flaw – it lacked any struts or braces for the wings. On its maiden flight the wings of the plane that was named after him peeled from the fuselage and the aircraft crashed, killing the pilot, who was a returning war veteran. A second plane with the same name was built and also crashed on the first flight killing the pilot

Should be easy now.

post-8866-0-97996800-1406534116_thumb.jp

My Walter Mitty posted several pages back (you have all been busy!) remains unidentified so I'd better reveal a bit more of his jaw dropping story.

He wrote a New York Times article in 1915, claiming that his aircraft designs would be used by the military. Part of the article - “(his) warplanes would be the largest heavier-than-air crafts ever built, powered by a 1600 horsepower motor, and able to carry bombs and other ammunition, in addition to a six-person crew.” He also claimed that the Allies had already ordered eleven of his planes, but they were never sold and this turned out to be just another of his many fraudulent claims.

He also claimed that he'd built and flown a plane in 1908 but no proof was ever found.

He persuaded a rich family to finance the building of the plane below claiming that it would be used to kidnap Kaiser Wilhelm II. The plane had a serious design flaw – it lacked any struts or braces for the wings. On its maiden flight the wings of the plane that was named after him peeled from the fuselage and the aircraft crashed, killing the pilot, who was a returning war veteran. A second plane with the same name was built and also crashed on the first flight killing the pilot

Should be easy now.

I think Christmas has come early this year Caryl...

Either my fellow has everyone so deep in the stacks that no one has returned, or my 'clues' were none too helpful. I am betting on the latter...so, another clue (well, two, actually).

He was a part of a famous football trio, and he managed to ensure his place in history for a famous 'first'.

:thumbsup:

Daniel

He sort of reminds me of a young Knute Rockne, but I can't discover a WW1 link for him, so it's probably not.

khaki

No: 291 Julius Hirsch born 7 April 1892

Decorated with the Iron Cross (WW1).

First Jewish player to represent the German national football team.

Deported to Auschwitz on 1 March 1943. Actual date of death not known. In 1950, a German court declared him dead with the date of death set on 8 May 1945.

The German Football Federation awards the "Julius-Hirsch-Pres" for outstanding examples of integration and tolerance within German football.

Deported to Auschwitz on 1 March 1943. Actual date of death not known. In 1950, a German court declared him dead with the date of death set on 8 May 1945.

The German Football Federation awards the "Julius-Hirsch-Pres" for outstanding examples of integration and tolerance within German football.

Looks like he fits all of the clues; a good subject, cool clues and a fine spot, I'm well impressed. I'd never heard of Hirsch and his is an inspiring story so that's another bit of worthwhile Wit.

Pete.

You have him! Well done.

You have him! Well done.

Daniel, a good set of clues; although Khaki's mention of Rockne sent me on a wild goose chase into gridiron territory. I nearly posted a question as to which 'football' were you referring to but now realise that the Christmas truce one was the giveaway. That said, the thread on the Christmas truce football matches has done a pretty good job of casting serious doubt on the idea with Martin to the fore in the analysis.

Pete.

Well that's blooming typical. Daniel finally delivers a clue that works as a cryptic indicator, and more to the point that I can decipher, and I'm in blinking Norfolk!

Anyway, as always have thoroughly enjoyed catching up this afternoon, and like you Pete I was really interested in reading about Hirsch.

A warm welcome helpjpl that was an excellent first spot.

I've spent my internet free days sitting in the sun (a new experience for the Ridgus clan in England on holiday!) re-reading 'The Guns of August' and realising yet again what a brilliant writer Barbara Tuchman was. I know modern scholarship has overturned some of her conclusions, and I know Martin G will be shaking his head sorrowfully as I again reveal my love of the good story over academic precision, but it's books like hers that can inspire a love of a subject for a lifetime.

Anyway I noted a few of her descriptions for future WAIWAs

David

I've spent my internet free days sitting in the sun (a new experience for the Ridgus clan in England on holiday!) re-reading 'The Guns of August' and realising yet again what a brilliant writer Barbara Tuchman was. I know modern scholarship has overturned some of her conclusions, and I know Martin G will be shaking his head sorrowfully as I again reveal my love of the good story over academic precision, but it's books like hers that can inspire a love of a subject for a lifetime.

Anyway I noted a few of her descriptions for future WAIWAs

David

Welcome back to the world of WIT David. You have been missed. 'The Guns of August' is next on my reading list. At the moment, much to the surprise of my wife, I have escaped into the world of Lee Child and a Jack Reacher novel (The Visitor). Surprisingly, a good read.

Eddie

Right, as an excuse (as if I needed one) to postpone cutting the lawn can you identify these four gentlemen and the several linkages between them? Caryl will get this one in no time but there may be a window of opportunity for fellow inmates.

Pete.

P.S. Glad to see that you had a splendid sojourn in the country David.

post-101238-0-43358800-1406651011_thumb.

post-101238-0-52068800-1406651012_thumb.

The bottom photo is of course England Rugby Union Captain 1915 Lt. Percy Dale Kendall, Liverpool Scottish - Killed In Action 25.1.1915

You are of course spot on just as I knew you would be Caryl. There are several links with the other three which I'm sure will be spotted soon along with their identities, and one extremely tenuous link to the location of the forum statistician which I might be able to establish.

Pete.

Pete

Is the player on the right of the three Ronald Poulton Palmer? If it is I'm presuming the four are all England captains.

Again if it is Palmer the link with me of course is Reading, as Palmer was of the Huntley and Palmer family

Working on the others

David

It is Poulton-Palmer and the biscuit connection is spot on. One ot the connection is international rugby captains but not necessariy all England, but as the jerseys attest the same club side.

Pete.

It is Poulton-Palmer and the biscuit connection is spot on. One ot the connection is international rugby captains but not necessariy all England, but as the jerseys attest the same club side.

Pete.

Pete

I must admit I'm struggling here. I'm guessing it's Harlequins and that they are other Home Nations captains, but I can't nail them down.

Poulton-Palmer is someone who has always interested me, and not only because of the Reading connection. I read somewhere that amongst sportsman his death was probably the most mourned by the public. There was even a suggestion that he had been specifically targeted by the Germans because of the impact on morale. This seems rather far-fetched, but interesting that it has even been suggested. If anyone personified the Edwardian ideal of an Englishman it is surely Palmer

David

Pete

Another possible connection - were they all killed by snipers? I know Palmer and Kendall were.

David

Edit: Is there also a link to Liverpool?

Spot on David. I know who they all are but I'll leave it to you two

Please don't Caryl! I really can't find them and would love to be put out of my misery (you get the credit on the database that way too :thumbsup: Oh I forgot it's only me who cares about that :hypocrite: )

David

PS Re a recent discussion we had, did you notice another lady posting here today (and identifying a Daniel special into the bargain) - you are not alone!

Caryl, you know way more than me about them I suspect so feel free to drop the odd cryptic clue in. To David I would say one of the connections is between two of them and is even deeper.

Pete.

Pete

I must admit I'm struggling here. I'm guessing it's Harlequins and that they are other Home Nations captains, but I can't nail them down.

David

Harlequins don't play in stripes, David, though I can't speak for 1914. They look more like Leicester to me, although there is a West Country team who play in black, blue and white.

Ron