Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Inmates and Witters

Well folks I'm off on holiday to Norfolk for a few days so you will be spared further updates on our past. A complete absence of internet coverage where I'm going will preclude any further work. As ever I must apologise in advance for the bad turn the weather will take from tomorrow. However fear not it's only a long weekend so the sun will be putting its hat back on come Tuesday when we return to Reading. As a parting shot here is my last Ace from around the world:

post-66715-0-07897400-1406324918_thumb.j

We have had this chap before but this is a different picture and I thought it very much representative of the man and the pilot. He was described by a fellow ace as "not so much a leader as a brilliant lone hand ... Small in stature, with face set grimly, he seemed the epitome of deadliness". His wife claimed that photographs did not do him justice and that he had a keen sense of humour.

Collishaw was more generous than his colleague describing him as "an outstanding character, bold, aggressive and courageous, yet he was gentle and kindly. A resolute and brave man."

He was dead at 22. I know hardly anything about him beyond what's in the extensive library but I think he is a character ripe for a biography. Have a good weekend folks

David

Donald Charles Cunnell is the FE2 pilot normally credited with wounding von Richthofen. However it could have been his observer Albert Woodbridge

David

Perfect answer, David, though my money`s on Woodbridge.

Interesting article here for those that may not have already seen it. The man who fired the fatal shot at the Red Baron would seem to be one Cedric Popkin. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/30/1259790/-Who-Really-Shot-Down-the-Red-Baron

EDIT: Enjoy your break, David.

Inmates and Witters

As a parting shot here is my last Ace from around the world:

attachicon.gifdri 243.jpg

David

Your last Ace is Australia`s first, or top if you prefer. Robert Little.

I`ll make this my last Ace for now, though I still have one or two up my sleeve.

Let`s finish on another easy one:

post-95959-0-40737700-1406366175_thumb.j

Is that William Leefe Robinson?

Pete.

I do beg your pardon. It would appear that this fellow wasn`t actually an Ace after all. Apologies for unintentionally misleading you.

As penance, I will give him away with his V.C. citation:

For most conspicuous bravery on 26th April, 1915, in flying to Courtrai and dropping bombs on the railway line near that station. On starting the return journey he was mortally wounded, but succeeded in flying for 35 miles to his destination, at a very low altitude, and reported the successful accomplishment of his object. He has since died of his wounds.

Despite his appalling injuries, he managed to steer his aircraft home, crossing the Allied lines over Indian troops who later asked for details of his courageous sortie to be translated into Hindustani.

His final letter to his four-month-old son Willie; in which he expressed his love and affection for his wife, with whom he stressed he had never had a “misunderstanding or quarrel”. He urged his son always to seek the advice of his mother and hoped he would be an engineer and obtain “a useful knowledge of machinery in all forms”.

He also urged him to “keep up your position as a landowner and a gentleman” (the family had the 16th-century Parnham House and its estate near Beaminster, Dorset).
Then, with an affectionate farewell, William Rhodes-Moorhouse signed what he described as his “first and last letter” to his son. There was a poignant and astute postscript: “I am off on a trip from which I don’t expect to return but which I hope will shorten the War a bit. I shall probably be blown up by my own bomb or if not killed by rifle fire.”

Who might this gent be?

He might be Bernard Baruch. He had his finger in many pies. Associate of Woodrow Wilson. And of WSC. Served at the Paris Peace Conference.

Caryl's Walter Mitty remains elusive.

Nice find indeed David; 39 enemy aircraft shot down between March and August 1918. Absolutely astounding but it does show the potency of the Bristol Fighter in which all of the victories were scored if I've read the records correctly.

Pete.

Who was it who,

"folded back my ears and went away after him, [a Brisfit] like a dog after a hare."

Who was it who,

"folded back my ears and went away after him, [a Brisfit] like a dog after a hare."

Was that William Leefe Robinson ?

Was that William Leefe Robinson ?

One day the answer will be William Leefe Robinson.

But not this time !

Heh, heh, heh !

I do beg your pardon. It would appear that this fellow wasn`t actually an Ace after all. Apologies for unintentionally misleading you.

As penance, I will give him away with his V.C. citation:

For most conspicuous bravery on 26th April, 1915, in flying to Courtrai and dropping bombs on the railway line near that station. On starting the return journey he was mortally wounded, but succeeded in flying for 35 miles to his destination, at a very low altitude, and reported the successful accomplishment of his object. He has since died of his wounds.

Despite his appalling injuries, he managed to steer his aircraft home, crossing the Allied lines over Indian troops who later asked for details of his courageous sortie to be translated into Hindustani.

His final letter to his four-month-old son Willie; in which he expressed his love and affection for his wife, with whom he stressed he had never had a “misunderstanding or quarrel”. He urged his son always to seek the advice of his mother and hoped he would be an engineer and obtain “a useful knowledge of machinery in all forms”.

He also urged him to “keep up your position as a landowner and a gentleman” (the family had the 16th-century Parnham House and its estate near Beaminster, Dorset).
Then, with an affectionate farewell, William Rhodes-Moorhouse signed what he described as his “first and last letter” to his son. There was a poignant and astute postscript: “I am off on a trip from which I don’t expect to return but which I hope will shorten the War a bit. I shall probably be blown up by my own bomb or if not killed by rifle fire.”

I believe your chap is William Barnard Rhodes-Moorhouse.

Who was it who,

"With cool head and tranquil judgement, imperturbably unconscious of the flight, [he] oscillated from asymptote to asymptote."

He might be Bernard Baruch. He had his finger in many pies. Associate of Woodrow Wilson. And of WSC. Served at the Paris Peace Conference.

Caryl's Walter Mitty remains elusive.

Apologies for not responding sooner; Ancestry being free I've been ferreting around. It's not Baruch; my man is an author who was turned down for service in 1914 on account of his being 56; he then served one of the allies.

Pete.

I believe your chap is William Barnard Rhodes-Moorhouse.

The fact his name appears to have been deliberately left in the VC citation at the end would appear to be quite a big clue... :hypocrite:

The fact his name appears to have been left in the VC citation at the end would appear to be quite a big clue..

Don't cloud the issue with "facts"!

:)

Don't cloud the issue with "facts"!

:)

I was in the process of editing my reply to include the word deliberately when you quoted it, since NeverForget did say "As penance, I will give him away with his V.C. citation"... :thumbsup:

"With cool head and tranquil judgement, imperturbably unconscious of the flight, [he] oscillated from asymptote to asymptote."

I suppose that's what's meant by "throwing a curve ball"?

It's the clues that are meant to be cryptic, not the answers.

So, I know.

You know.

I know you know.

And you know I know you know.

Fancy telling anyone else ?

Remember Donald Rumsfeld: "... there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

You can't say fairer than that.

Apologies for not responding sooner; Ancestry being free I've been ferreting around. It's not Baruch; my man is an author who was turned down for service in 1914 on account of his being 56; he then served one of the allies.

Pete.

It's Jerome K Jerome

It's Jerome K Jerome

Is the right answer, good spot uncle. I have always thought that the quote I used earlier in the thread "If you don't know where you are going then you are liable to end up somewhere else" originated in Three Men in a Boat but when I looked around in cyberspace I'm now not so sure. Anyway while looking around I noticed that Jerome K Jerome came from Walsall and had driven an ambulance for the French; we had a post of Walt Disney in the old thread who did the same (the ambulance driving, not the Walsall bit). I had various cryptic clues about the dog and Griff Rhys Jones et al lined up too.

Pete.

I suppose that's what's meant by "throwing a curve ball"?

It's the clues that are meant to be cryptic, not the answers.

So, I know.

You know.

I know you know.

And you know I know you know.

Fancy telling anyone else ?

I'm going out on a limb, but are you WiTs Ageing Juvenile Binky Huckaback and Dame Celia Volestrangler?

299: Raymond Chandler?

A point of etiquette: when we recognise an image that has been posted before - especially an image one may have posted oneself - what to do ?

I feel I should throw myself on my sword.