Remembered Today:

War Diary 1/10th King's (Liverpool) - Rugby Legends

Andrew Hesketh

Would anyone be able to assist me with extracts from the WD for:

10 Jan 1915

16 June 1915

Thanks in advance.

Andrew,

Prefer to do things via email have photos of original diary - tried to send you a PM with my email address but your box is full.

Joe

Hello Joe,

Hope you are well. Thank you for the offer of the WD's for 10 Jan and 16 June 1915. I just tried to PM you, but you are full as well! I have cleared some space in my PM inbox now.

It concerns the brothers 2Lt. Frederich H and Lt. William S Turner. I came across a very brief reference to the former in the Welsh Coast Pioneer 28 Jan 1915, which stated that he had lived at Bronwendon, Llanddulas for a short time before the war, which falls within my research boundaries for Abergele. I'm going back in today to scour late June and August for any reference to William.

As always, thank you for your time and effort.

All the best,

Andy

Andrew

Very interested in your interest in the Turner brothers. They have long been in my own, as members of Liverpool Football Club (Aigburth not Anfield, RU not AFC).

If you want more about them I hanve plenty at home, but am laid up under the NHS for a bit.

Fred was captain of Scotland and of the club in the season when it also fielded the captains of England (Poulton) and Ireland (Dicky Lloyd).

The brothers are written up in 'Bravest of Hearts', which I have at home.

The Turner family lived in the Sefton Park area of Liverpool.

A few fragments for you now...

Daggers

Daggers, brilliant. I've unearthed quite a bit too so very happy to do an exchange of info to see if we can add anything to each others data. Sorry to hear of your problems. I will PM you my email, and when you feel up to it get in touch and I'll send you what I've written up thus far. Cheers.

Daggers - you can't receive messages either!

Anyway, it's hotmail.com, preceded by my forum name with an underscore between christian and surnames.

But get well first. There's no rush. I've got 943 others to keep me busy in the meantime.

Nothing in the Welsh Coast Pioneer about William Stewart Turner unfortunately.

(Also a public acknowledgement to BillyH for an offer of help behind the scenes. Cheers pal.)

My public thanks to Joe (Promenade) for providing me with what I asked for.

I have a team photo of Liverpool's team of 1913-14 with F.H. Turner captioned as Captain. I will scan and post and/or e-mail it if it's something those interested don't already have. Some (most?) of those pictured served in the war, including C.G.R. Hill who was awarded the MC & Bar with the 9th King's. It also features the previously mentioned R.W. Poulton-Palmer and T.W. Lloyd.

Ken

Ken

I have the photo but did not know about Hill's MC & Bar. Thanks for that . I wrote the club's history some 30 years ago but did not go into war details much, but have since 'done' the club's memorial names. There were certainly many great characters around.

I hope to to continue on this once released!

D

Thanks very much Ken, and also for the copy you e-mailed.

Quite a team, the three in the centre of the middle row:

R. A. Lloyd, Captain of Ireland

F. H. Turner, Captain of Scotland

R. W. Poulton-Palmer, Captain of England

In total, five of this team died in the war, including Turner and Poulton-Palmer.

I've taken the liberty of altering the title of the thread to include 'Rugby Legends' in the hope of casting this to a wider readership.

Daggers - Sorry to hear you're in hospital. I hope you get back to your researches soon.

Andrew -- I'd be interested to know who were the other three Liverpool players who died.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Thanks, good to hear from you. I have al the info at home but will not trust my memory! I seem likely to be 'hors' for at least a few more days.

D

I've taken the liberty of altering the title of the thread to include 'Rugby Legends' in the hope of casting this to a wider readership.

The Liverpool Scottish also lost another England R.U. captain in January 1915.

Lt. Percy Dale Kendall : KIA 25.1.1915

He played club rugby for Birkenhead Park and captained England vs Scotland at Richmond in 1902. He also represented Cheshire 36 times. I have more details, if anyone is interested PM me.

Photo below,

BillyH.

post-41657-0-50617600-1377513556_thumb.j

Gwyn, I'm out and about so without access to my notes, but from memory of yesterday, the other 3 in the photo who were killed were Jackson, Ross and E H Cowan.

Incidentally, this battalion is truly fascinating. Has anyone written a history of it?

Billy, remarkably Kendall's special memorial headstone in Kemmel is adjacent to Turner's. He was also sniped in a very similar locality to Turner.

I expect that you will already be aware that both the Turner brothers and Percy Kendall all have photographs and biographies in the Rugby Internationals Roll of Honour 1914-18.

Incidentally I have owned, for many years now, the BWM to Lieut P.D.Kendall, 1/10th(Liverpool Scottish)Bn., has anyone ever seen his 1914 Star and Victory medal?

Robert

Gwyn, I'm out and about so without access to my notes, but from memory of yesterday, the other 3 in the photo who were killed were Jackson, Ross and E H Cowan.

Incidentally, this battalion is truly fascinating. Has anyone written a history of it?

Bibliography here Andrew

http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/~liverpo4/the-museum/history-of-the-regiment/bibliography/

They are truly fascinating. I have a copy of A.M Mcgilchrist 'The Liverpool Scottish 1900-1919' and also 'Citizen Soldiers . The Liverpool Territorials in the First World War' if you need anything from either. According to the index in Mcgilchrist, Lieut F H Turner is mentioned twice within the book and Lieut W Turner once. I'll post them up later - on my way out.

Daggers, good to hear that you are on the mend!

Robert,

Can you please send me a copy of the photo of Percy "Toggie" Kendall that is in the Roll of Honour that you mention?

I have 3 different photos of him, but all of them are indifferent newspaper jobs.

What a great pity that his family allowed his medals to be split up. Percy was a solicitor and shortly after his death there was a remembrance service for him at St. Nicolas' Church near the Pier Head in Liverpool. The church was crammed to the rafters and there were over 200 mourners unable to get in.

The local newpaper used the phrase "one of the greatest players of his time" about his rugby ability.

Andrew, (regarding Turner) - I hadn't realised that he was a Rugby international as well.

Our local paper quoted an extract from a letter of sympathy sent home by a fellow officer which contained :

“- - - poor Kendall was killed by what must have been almost a chance shot through one of the loopholes in the trench, and we buried him beside Fred Turner in the little churchyard near the firing line the same night. He was one of our best officers, and will be much missed. We had a Private, young Pollexfen, killed the same day, also a good man.”

BillyH.

First one, A M Mcgilchrist The Liverpool Scottish 1900-1919

Page 18

'Field Marshall Lord Roberts, who had been paying a visit to the Indian troops at the front, returned to Sir John French's headquarters at St Omer suffering from a chill and died there of pneumonia on 14 November. On the 17th his body was to be taken to the Hotel de Ville for a short service and thence to the railway station to be be removed to England for burial. The Liverpool Scottish had the honour of being detailed to line the Place Gambetta, in which the Hotel de Ville is, and also the street leading to it. One officer, Lieutenant F H Turner, and twenty picked men were also detailed to take part in the procession, and a splendid looking lot they were, none of them under six feet in height'

Caryl

I have this newspaper article published in the Liverpool Courier 26th June 1915.

LIVERPOOL SCOTTISH LOSSES

The Late Sergeant John B Jones.

Sergeant John B Jones, killed in the recent charge of the Liverpool Scottish at Hooge, was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Jones, 8, Windsor Road, Tuebrook, and served in business with Mr. G. J. Williams, Fraser Street. Of splendid physique and blessed with a sound constitution, he went all through the hard winter without as much as a cold or a chill, and was the life and soul of his men. He was in the Scottish for about seven years prior to going out in November and his bright cheery letters home reflected the pride he felt in his battalion. He was charging at the head of his platoon with Lieut. W.S. Turner, and had just captured a German trench when a heavy shell burst killing them both instantly. By a sad coincidence Lieut. Turner's brother, the late F.H. Turner was also struck down by the side of Sergeant Jones, who was with him in his last moments. A memorial service will be held on Sunday 4th July, at 11 o'clock in his sold church, St.Augustine's, Shaw Street, Everton, where he was well known and loved by a wide circle of friends.

Transcribed by Kathyd 26/8/2013.