Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

299: Raymond Chandler?

This photograph, Dulwich College, and film noir do not seem to go together. But yes, Raymond Chandler.

I'm going out on a limb, but are you WiTs Ageing Juvenile Binky Huckaback and Dame Celia Volestrangler?

Wrong, wrong wrong. I'm an ageing Kursaal Flyer.

"Her escape was so urgent

She forgot her detergent

And dropped all her clean underwear"

Truly inspired.

Remember Donald Rumsfeld: "... there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

You can't say fairer than that.

Oh well, Ghazala will be along soon.

The appalling lack of proper generals leads me to this chap, whom we may, or may not, have had before. I commend him to the House.

post-6673-0-51456200-1406407760_thumb.jp

A point of etiquette: when we recognise an image that has been posted before - especially an image one may have posted oneself - what to do ?

I feel I should throw myself on my sword.

Etiquette:

“The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork.”

- Oscar Wilde

I thought you said, post 296, that clues are meant to be cryptic.

7 POW Chapter III...

"With cool head and tranquil judgement, imperturbably unconscious of the flight, [he] oscillated from asymptote to asymptote."

Chapter 3 of Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

If tribesman and townsman in Arabic-speaking Asia were not different races, but just men in different social and economic stages, a family resemblance might be expected in the working of their minds, and so it was only reasonable that common elements should appear in the product of all these peoples. In the very outset, at the first meeting with them, was found a universal clearness or hardness of belief, almost mathematical in its limitation, and repellent in its unsympathetic form. Semites had no half-tones in their register of vision. They were a people of primary colours, or rather of black and white, who saw the world always in contour. They were a dogmatic people, despising doubt, our modern crown of thorns. They did not understand our metaphysical difficulties, our introspective questionings. They knew only truth and untruth, belief and unbelief, without our hesitating retinue of finer shades.

This people was black and white, not only in vision, but by inmost furnishing: black and white not merely in clarity, but in apposition. Their thoughts were at ease only in extremes. They inhabited superlatives by choice. Sometimes inconsistents seemed to possess them at once in joint sway; but they never compromised: they pursued the logic of several incompatible opinions to absurd ends, without perceiving the incongruity. With cool head and tranquil judgement, imperturbably unconscious of the flight, they oscillated from asymptote to asymptote.*

They were a limited, narrow-minded people, whose inert intellects lay fallow in incurious resignation. Their imaginations were vivid, but not creative. There was so little Arab art in Asia that they could almost be said to have had no art, though their classes were liberal patrons, and had encouraged whatever talents in architecture, or ceramics, or other handicraft their neighbours and helots displayed. Nor did they handle great industries: they had no organizations of mind or body. They invented no systems of philosophy, no complex mythologies. They steered their course between the idols of the tribe and of the cave. The least morbid of peoples, they had accepted the gift of life unquestioningly, as axiomatic. To them it was a thing inevitable, entailed on man, a usufruct, beyond control. Suicide was a thing impossible, and death no grief.

Chapter 3 of Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

If tribesman and townsman in Arabic-speaking Asia . . . . .

Yes, but who "folded back my ears and went away after him, [a Brisfit] like a dog after a hare."

The appalling lack of proper generals leads me to this chap, whom we may, or may not, have had before. I commend him to the House.

I know this chap is a particular favourite of yours, Steven, as I remember identifying him in the original "Who is this".

It`s "Soarer" Campbell. As you say, one of our better WW1 attributes.

I`m going to be brave, and ask Daniel for a clue. Don`t worry, I`ve strapped myself in for a long ride. :thumbsup:

Can anyone tell whose V.C. citation this is ???

"For most conspicuous bravery in attack when accompanied by only a corporal, he rushed a strong point which was holding up the advance. The corporal was wounded by a bomb, but ??? went on by himself killed the remainder of the enemy occupying the position, and captured a machine gun.

Shortly afterwards he organised a small party and attacked another strong point which was occupied by about twenty-five of the enemy, of whom many were killed and an officer and fifteen men captured.

During the consolidation this officer did magnificent work in reorganising parties of other units which had been disorganised during the operations.

By his wonderful coolness and personal bravery ??? kept his men in splendid spirits throughout. He was killed at his post by a shell whilst endeavouring to extricate some of his men who had been buried by a shell."

Welsh born.

Served as a stretcher-bearer at Gallipoli.

Served as a stretcher bearer during the Battle of the Somme.

Served as an infantryman at Passchendaele.

Yes, but who "folded back my ears and went away after him, [a Brisfit] like a dog after a hare."

That would be the same chap whose "burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me".

My fellow served with honor in the Great War only to die at Auschwitz in WWII. To this day there is an award given in his name.

That would be the same chap whose "burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me".

This is like pulling teeth . . . .

I remember that - comics of the 1950s frequently had a character with a swollen cheek and a large handkerchief tied round his head. One end of the cord was tied round the offending bicuspid and the other end tied to a door handle. The door was then slammed and the tooth instantly extracted. Or not. I wonder how often this was done. And did it work?

Who is your man? That would be teling...

I remember that - comics of the 1950s frequently had a character with a swollen cheek and a large handkerchief tied round his head.

And it was always a polka dot handkerchief . . . . . .

My fellow served with honor in the Great War only to die at Auschwitz in WWII. To this day there is an award given in his name.

Elie Wiesel ?

Boanerges, from The Mint I believe.

And it was always a polka dot handkerchief . . . . . .

I grieve, as I never, ever had a polka dot handkerchief. Is it any wonder I turned out the bitter, twisted individual that I am? Parp!

Boanerges, from The Mint I believe.

Better late than never... :whistle:

Can anyone tell whose V.C. citation this is ???

"For most conspicuous bravery in attack when accompanied by only a corporal, he rushed a strong point which was holding up the advance. The corporal was wounded by a bomb, but ??? went on by himself killed the remainder of the enemy occupying the position, and captured a machine gun.

Shortly afterwards he organised a small party and attacked another strong point which was occupied by about twenty-five of the enemy, of whom many were killed and an officer and fifteen men captured.

During the consolidation this officer did magnificent work in reorganising parties of other units which had been disorganised during the operations.

By his wonderful coolness and personal bravery ??? kept his men in splendid spirits throughout. He was killed at his post by a shell whilst endeavouring to extricate some of his men who had been buried by a shell."

Welsh born.

Served as a stretcher-bearer at Gallipoli.

Served as a stretcher bearer during the Battle of the Somme.

Served as an infantryman at Passchendaele.

Second Lieutenant Frederick Birks at Polygon Wood

Better late than never... :whistle:

TEL was just an airman in the RAF, expressing the depression and squalor of military life post WWI in a series of articles that were later assembled into The Mint. One of those articles, “The Road” is perhaps the the most descriptive account of a fast motorcycle ride ever put down in words.

Second Lieutenant Frederick Birks at Polygon Wood

I think you meant Glencorse Wood, Eddie, but you`re spot on. Well solved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Birks post-95959-0-64308300-1406490409_thumb.j Frederick Birks.

(And thanks for finally putting Stoppie`s elephant in the corner of the room to bed.) :thumbsup:

I`ll try another. W.V.C.C.I.T???

"???'s company was on the right of the 54th Brigade front. It was held up by six machine gun posts on a hill opposite. ??? made up his mind to clear these posts. Armed with a revolver and carrying a cane, which he waved when he wanted his men to dash forward, ??? crawled up the hill under cover of a hedge. A sergeant was with him. A Lewis-gun section followed some distance behind. Breaking cover, ??? killed the first machine-gunner. Then he worked his way along the crest of the hill and dealt with three more machine gun posts, taking the feed-blocks out of the guns and securing altogether fourteen prisoners. The Lewis gun section came up to help. All the six Boche machine gun posts were captured, and as suddenly as it became clear that the three companies of the *********** that had been checked near Bousies Wood Farm, had by now worked round the enemy from the north, the German resistance collapsed.

(And thanks for finally putting Stoppie`s elephant in the corner of the room to bed.) :thumbsup:

Well thank you, duckie !