Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Post 571 shows where my Grandfather was at and here is a picture of one of the hospitals. This is a postcard he sent home and on the back it is printed H. Scott Orr Woodford Green and Pop's return address is Newton-on-Ayr. The original (before uploading) has great detail when magnified, if anyone needs a copy.

thanks,

shawn

post-46808-1248021028.jpg

How about Mrs. Jamieson's Hospital, Rye, Hastings.

DW

I will post a stunning pic of the building, the ladies and recovering gentlemen from 1918,but I'm blowed if I can find it on this computer. Must be on the one at home.

DW

• 3 weeks later...

I am too lazy to trawl the 24 pages of this thread, but in case it has not been recorded, I offer the "SirA.L.Jones Memorial Hospital" at Garston, Liverpool and quote from a pamphlet on the district:

"A portion of the building was placed at the disposal of the military authorities for the use of wounded soldiers. The extra cost...was defrayed by private benevolence."

The hospital has just fallen under the hammers of 'redevelopment', but local watchdogs have endeavoured to record and retain anything of historical interest. Sir Alfred Jones, in whose memory the hospital was dedicated, was a local shipowner and benefactor, associated with the Elder Dempster shipping company and with the popularisation of the banana.

D

• 3 weeks later...

Dunraven Castle , Southerndown, Glamorgan on a headland overlooking the sea.It was used as a Red Cross convalescent hospital during both wars but has been demolished.The walled gardens remain and could be worth a visit just for the walk and view. It was really just a castellated mansion.

There was a VAD in my local town in rooms attached to a Methodist Church.It is listed with all the others for Leicester and Leicestershire in the book mentioned by Chris Baker.

I also, don't know whether it's been mentioned before but Hylands House (near Chelmsford) was converted into a war hospital.

On a visit to Hylands recently, there was a display of photographs:

1. "Sir Daniel Gooch returned home on Thursday, 3 December 1914, his home, Hylands House, had been requisitioned as a temporary hospital. He personally helped supervise and fund the conversion of the East Wing, creating two wards and a treatment area in the Saloon."

2. Two interesting photos showed "Lord Kitchener departing Hylands House after inspecting the troops, 1914" and

"Lord Horatio Herbert Kitchener, Sir Daniel and Lady Mary Gooch - Hylands 6th August 1915."

Details of nursing personnel at Hylands House were shown (as at 23 October 1917 as:

"Gooch Lady M W, Commandant

Magor, Mrs F E, Commandant

Poole, Miss D, Nurse

Smith, Mrs F M, Matron

Wells, Miss F, Nurse

Callingham, Miss M, Nurse".

Hope this is of interest.

Mabel

A little bit more on Hylands House:

"Sir Daniel Gooch returned from an expedition in the South Atlantic because Hylands was taken over by the War Office as an emergency hospital. Opening on 14 August 1914 with 95 beds, under 2nd and 3rd South Midlands Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, it treated some 1500 patients whose blue hospital uniform caused them to be known locally as 'the blue boys". Both King George V and Lord Kitchener reviewed the troops in the park but the lengthy inspection meant that the King's proposed visit to the house was abandoned. The Gooch family lost their son, Lancelot, in the Dardanelles on 3 October 1915 on HMS Implacable."

Mabel

I believe this hospital was mentioned: Lincoln 4th Northern General Hospital. This is from my grandmother's photo album. The information says: Nurse Thomson (sitting) 1915 (along with the name of the hospital). The nurse wrote a short note to my grandmother and then added: "Just a few of our wounded soldiers". The nurse's initial look like either W.D. Thomson or M.D. Thomson. The photographer is Harrison 168 High St. Lincoln.

Annette

Very useful list of Great War hospitals in Kent, with brief details:

here

Hope it hasn't been posted before - this thread gets more and more cumbersome as it gets longer. Does anyone have more luck than I in retrieving data from it on a particular hospital?

Moonraker

I don't know a lot about it yet as I am only just beginning my research, but there was an auxillary hospital in Bromborough, Wirral. From what I have seen so far it was there for most of the war. It was in the Bromborough Golf Club house, which was closed for the duration. It appears to have been organised by a Lady Carter of Brookhurst, Bromborough.

There was also a convalescent Home in Mendel House, Bromborough from about 1917

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have time to check the 24 pages of this thread, but in case it hasn't been recorded, I offer the following mansion houses all used during and after the war as pension hospitals/recovery homes in and around the Woolton district of Liverpool:

Druids Cross, Druids Cross Road, Calderstones/Allerton.

Allerton Tower, Woolton Road, Allerton.

Allerton Beeches, Allerton.

Allerton Hall, Woolton Road, Allerton (entrance now in Springwood Avenue).

Woolton Hall, Speke Road, Woolton.

Camp Hill, Hillfoot Road, Woolton.

Woolton Convalescent Home, Allerton Road (entrance also in Hillfoot Road), Woolton.

(Used as a naval hospital during WW2).

Woolton Wood mansion was used as accommodation for nurses who attended at the nearby Camp Hill and Woolton Hall during WW1.

(Used as a 220-bed convalescent home during WW2 until it was demolished in 1948).

Welwyn Military Hospital, Grassendale, Liverpool.

Wooltonian.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have time to check the 24 pages of this thread, but in case it hasn't been recorded, I offer the following mansion houses all used during and after the war as pension hospitals/recovery homes in and around the Woolton district of Liverpool:

Druids Cross, Druids Cross Road, Calderstones/Allerton.

Allerton Tower, Woolton Road, Allerton.

Allerton Beeches, Allerton.

Allerton Hall, Woolton Road, Allerton (entrance now in Springwood Avenue).

Woolton Hall, Speke Road, Woolton.

Camp Hill, Hillfoot Road, Woolton.

Woolton Convalescent Home, Allerton Road (entrance also in Hillfoot Road), Woolton.

(Used as a naval hospital during WW2).

Woolton Wood mansion was used as accommodation for nurses who attended at the nearby Camp Hill and Woolton Hall during WW1.

(Used as a 220-bed convalescent home during WW2 until it was demolished in 1948).

Welwyn Military Hospital, Grassendale, Liverpool.

Wooltonian.

The 2nd Northern General Hospital, in Leeds, once the City of leeds Training College, is now part of Leeds Metropolitain Universities beckett park campus, I work there and involved inthe history of the campus, if you require any further information please let me know.

Ian Crossland

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know whether you have this one St Johns Red Cross Hospital Weymouth. It was there 03/08/1915. I have a picture of my Grandfather CSM Alexander Anson 1/5th DLI there on that date. He had been gassed at Sanctuary Wood in May. I'll try and find the picture for you.

Richard

Sorry I'm so behind...Stoke War Hospital Newcastle under Lyme, became The City General Hospital, London Road, the older parts were originally the Union Workhouse, It is now part of University Hospital North Staffordshire

Haven't seen Knutsford Military hospital a local Lady (Staffs) died here of TB in 1918 she was a nurse... no further info

Winchcombe, two buildings in the town became temporary hospitals, run by Gloucestershire Voluntary Aid Department No.6 organised by Miss Eliza Wedgewood of Stanton, her HQ was at Sudeley Castle, Jean Bray Archivist Sudeley Castle

Nel

• 2 weeks later...
You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have just found this topic.

My Grandfather was wounded in France with the 1st Dorsets and sent home, wounded, on 19th April 1917. I have 2 photo's of Loversall Hall where he was hospitalised until being transferred to the Labour Corps in April 1918. Hope this info may be of help,

Cheers Milky

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

Heres no. 2 photo

Cheers Milky

post-50353-1256836942.jpg

post-50353-1256837059.jpg

St Georges Hospital, London.

Does anyone know if there are any records held? One of my Rosslyn Park fallen Herbert Hyde Hedges de la Cour(see rugbyremembers member thread) died there in 1919, presumably of wounds as he is on CWGC.

The context of my enquiry is best explained by the website www.rugbyremembers.co.uk and visitors are welcome.

many thanks

Stephen

My Grandfather seemed to do a round of hospitals each time he was wounded (twice in fact).

I have what I think is a list of hopitals and or convalescant homes he visited written on the inside cover of a poetry book he carried:

St Mary's Hospital Wandsworth

Huskards Auxiliary Hospital, Ingatestone, Essex. (I have a hand written letter to my Grandfather from a member of staff on headed paper).

Knowsley Park Liverpool.

North Evington, Leicester.

Spondon, Derby.

Also Paddington, Eastbourne and Southampton but no hospital names.

Don't quite understand the need to attend hospitals so far from his home (Buckhurst Hill, essex).

Thinking about it, is it possible that he disembarked as a casualty at Liverpool.

Hi everyone

I have just had an old photo identified, by a member of the nurses forum, as Druids Cross Hospital, Liverpool. Which has been written on the back of the photo by my grandad. I think he may have been a patient there as he was wounded in the war. Trouble is he has dated the photo 1923 and I know he was dicharged from the army in 1917 seems a lot of recouperation was needed . Is there anywhere I can get details of ex-patients or at least details of the hospital.

Many thanks

Ann

4th Northern General Hospital in LIncoln was in the old buildings & fields of the former Lincoln School (now Lincoln Christ's Hospital School). The boys were exported to other sites. We have many photographs (including a visit from the King & Queen) and loads of info, a lot from the local press. :rolleyes:

4th Northern General Hospital in LIncoln was in the old buildings & fields of the former Lincoln School (now Lincoln Christ's Hospital School). The boys were exported to other sites. We have many photographs (including a visit from the King & Queen) and loads of info, a lot from the local press. :rolleyes:

Hi there, sorry about the error in sending you a empty inbox just now

I am researching staff and soldiers at the WW1 4th Northern Lincoln General Hospital and am very interested to read you have extensive images. I found one of the main ward on a different thread but was unable to view it for some reason. Would it be possible to view any of your pictures at all please. Do you have them on line ? It would be marvelous for me as I am at the begining of my research and it would give me a real sense of the hospital and patients. ps I live in Lincoln

Thank you very much

Gina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When my Grandfather was returned to blighty minus a leg, he was trained up to Newcastle and underwent other operations there. He ended up in the next bed to the father of the famous electric guitarist, Bert Weedon. Does anyone know whether it could have been the 1st Northern General hospital in Newcastle or were there others in that city? He eventually was taken to Scotland to convalesce and be fitted with a new leg at Erskine House.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi

I know of two, Wallasey Town Hall was used as a convalescent hospital as my mother in law's uncle shimmied down a lamp-post when he wan't to get out He had suffered fairly minor injuries at the front. This same gentleman spent some time in the Workhouse Hospital in Newcastle [now the General hospital I believe] where he was sent for treatment for syphilis.

I apologise if these are already on the list but as I didn't get any hits when I searched for them I thought I would post this.

Judy

Just remembered after sending my earlier post. There was a Canadian Hospital in Orpington, Kent. One of my great grandfather's sisters married a Canadian soldier who worked at the hospital.