Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Regarding my Aunt's autograph books, I am documenting the names of the soldiers, in case their families would like more info. These wrote in her first book; I will do the same with the second book later on.

Percy Carrol 2nd West Riding Reg ( 21.2 1917)

Pte. J Grieve 8th Cameron H. (15.2.17)

Pte.P McDonald @nd K.O.S.B. (26.9.18)

G.H Vye 2nd Border Regt (26.9.18)

L W Holtom, Gunner, RGA (14.3 17)

H Goodwin 10th KRR Corps (22.2 1917)

A.R. Pursey 21st KRRC

PTE Eaborn 1/7 Ware. Reg (2.3.1917)

T. Pummero Sgt Kings L.pool Regt (5.01.18)

Les, W Holtom, Manhattan Ave, Elmwood, Winnipeg (17.3.1917)

Driver Chas Wm Muir B/250 BDE RFA (5.12.17)

B Rogers

W. RoundF F Westall, 2ns Middlesex Regt (20.3.1917)

E Rogers (1.5.1918)

Pte. R H Stevens 5th WestRiding (Duke of Wellingtons) Reg (August 1917)

Pte Boulton, Wounded July 6

P W Clare, Gunner RFA (Jan 20, 1917)

EG Pickett Sgt, Leiceshirshire. Rgt

Pte L Bryan 16 R. War. R.

W. G Lilley, Australlian Engineers

A Moore Sgt. 6th Oxf.& Bucks Wounded at Guillemont (3.9.16)

Driver Charles. Wm. Muir (3.12.17); (5.12.1917) 13/250Bde RFA

Geo. West Sgt (Jan 18, 1917)

PW Clare RFA (31.1.17)

• 2 weeks later...

i have just purchased the official report regarding the Red cross in the great war it has a list of red cross hospitals by county is this of interest?

regards John

One more:

Thorpe St Andrew Norfolk War Hospital R.D

From another thread Lt Thunder who died from burns there received when taking off to attack Zeppellins.

BTW Any one know what the RD means?

As St Andrews was a convalescent Hospital, R may be Repatriation..........Department?

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

At the Royal Victoria Hospital in Newcastle Upon Tyne during renovations some years ago, they found up in one of the lofts, a wall muriel made up from convalescing soldiers from WW1 sewing together their name rank and regimental badge onto uniform size pieces of cloth, this is on display to the public inone of the hospital corridors, i think it was located in the Victoria wing as i last saw it a couple of years ago, but what amazed me was that the majority of units were not Northern or Scottish! Hope this helps with your search.

In my grandmother's nursing diary (see page 1 Women in the Great War) there is a photo of patients and nurses outside the Golders Green Military Convalescent Home, London, dated 1915. I also spotted a similar photo, but not the same one, dated Dec 1915 on the following webpage:-

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/record_search.htm.

Does anybody know where this home was situated?

• 2 weeks later...
At the Royal Victoria Hospital in Newcastle Upon Tyne during renovations some years ago, they found up in one of the lofts, a wall muriel made up from convalescing soldiers from WW1 sewing together their name rank and regimental badge onto uniform size pieces of cloth, this is on display to the public inone of the hospital corridors, i think it was located in the Victoria wing as i last saw it a couple of years ago, but what amazed me was that the majority of units were not Northern or Scottish! Hope this helps with your search.

The item I think you are referring to is a bedspread which is now on display in the Leazes wing of the hospital. There is more information on this at the North East War Memorials Project site (url below). Search for "Newcastle upon Tyne" - the item is #13 in the list.

Patrick

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

For more information on Northumberland & Durham VAD Hospitals see the page at Patrick Brennan's website at www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html

Alan Vickers.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother met her husband in a wartime hospital in Birmingham. Have you any suggestions how I could find out which one? I now have his medal record, and I think he recived the Silver War Badge whilst with the RAPC, but maybe the Gloucs Regt, it's not clear. Did particular regts use particular hospitals?

One in Warwickshire, Red Cross Hospital in the Institute Lower Brailles.

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...mp;resource=629

Another one in Coleshill warwickshire. The Vicarage

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...p;resource=2717

Farnborough Hall.

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...mp;resource=924

Henley In Arden, Red Cross. Quite a few pictures here.

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...p;resource=3200

Stratford Upon Avon. Clopton House War Hospital

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...p;resource=2551

Harvard University Surgical Unit of the British Red cross. "Entertained at Warwick Castle"?

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.or...p;resource=2929

There is an article by Patrick Brennan in the Spring issue of the Journal of the Northumberland & Durham Family History Society on Northumberland & Durham VAD Hospitals.

I have found a reference to "The Sunderland War Hospital" and also a reference to the Hallgarth V.A.D. Hospital, Pickering, North Yorkshire.

Alan Vickers.

• 4 weeks later...

Wardown House in the park of the same name (Luton), was an officers' hospital during the war. Since 1927 it has housed the museum, including the Beds and Herts Regimental Gallery.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have Lady Ridley’s Hospital?

(LRH overlooked the Mall near Admiralty Arch and was only 400 yards from Piccadilly Circus)-

Lady Ridley Hospital, 10 Carlton House Terrace, London

I have a photo if you'd like one.

Braeside House, Devizes, Wilts has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Dave

I came across a reference to this hospital when reading the Wiltshire Advertiser for 1915 yesterday. (Better late than never.) I wanted a bit of extra info about it, so thanks for the link, Dave. In mid-January 1915 it had visits on two successive days by former Governor-Generals of Canada, Earl Grey and the Marquess of Lansdowne. It had accommodation for 54 and was full at the time with casualties from clearing stations and four men from the Canadian artillery units billted in devizes and soon to leave on active service.

Moonraker

In late 1914 the Conservative Club, Bank Street, Melksham was a "temporary hospital", with 17 beds in the skittle alley.

Moonraker

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

There was a VAD hospital at Ravenswick Hall, Kirkbymoorside North Yorkshire and also at Pickering the VAD Hospital was at 1 Oak, Hallgarth, Pickering, North Yorkshire

Wye House Asylum [buxton]Derbyshire. I'm not sure if this was in use or not during the war, but I found it in the the advertisement section of 'White's [1894] Directory of Leeds', and thought it looked interesting. Note the blurb: 'for patients of both sexes of the Higher and Middle Classes'. Standing room only, then. :lol: Cheers, Dave

post-13441-1191617560.jpg

Salford Langworthy Road School this is one not on the list and neither is Ravenswick Hall at Kirkbymoorside

I know of 5

1. West Ham House, Red Cross Hospital, Basingstoke, Hampshire.

2. Graylingwell Asylum, Chichester, West Sussex.

3. Littlemore Hospital, Sandford Road Littlemore,Oxford,Oxfordshire.

4. The Warnford Hospital, Headington, Oxford, Oxfordshire.

5. The Oxford Exam School, High street, Oxford, Oxfordshire.

Hope these are of use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has the information listed in this thread been collated somewhere? At 521 posts it is rather a lot to trawl through to find whether a particular hospital has been mentioned yet. If a list existed one could check against it first.

• 2 weeks later...
For more information on Northumberland & Durham VAD Hospitals see the page at Patrick Brennan's website at www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html

Alan Vickers.

Well done web page: nice layout, excellent information and very good graphics. Good show!

Researching CEF hospitals and related institutions for my history of shellshock in the CEF.

John

Has the information listed in this thread been collated somewhere? At 521 posts it is rather a lot to trawl through to find whether a particular hospital has been mentioned yet. If a list existed one could check against it first.

I agree with you wholeheartedly: make it simple and collate and edit to some extent the large list.

John

Has anyone used any of the admission/discharge registers for Napsbury near St Albans when it was a military hospital? Supposedly in the National Archives.

I know this might be er ugh cough a little late but here goes:

YES the National Archives in Kew have SELECTIVE records for this hospital during the war,viz.:

Ministry of Health MH 106 / 1532 and MH 106 / 2212 - 2238 (classified alphabetically)

I have not seen these and the above is taken from a footnote on page 386 (note 9 for Chapter 3) in "Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War" by Peter Barham.

Good luck.

John

Hahnemann Hospital

Hope Street

Liverpool

Harry Patch was admitted to this hospital in 1917 after being wounded at Passchenaele