Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

they have an archivist@northamptonshire.gov.uk who told me this hospital is now known as 'St. Crispins Hospital' and that they do not have any military hospital records -- that these records are at Kew.

I don't think there are any military hospital records at The National Archives - it sounds like a bit of buck passing by the archivist. There are some soldiers' medical records, and quite a lot of administrative records on the building/running/organisation of hospitals, but no actual patient records. Any that survive are normally held now by County Record Offices, or by hospital archives. The NA does produce the Hospital Records Database which gives details of hospitals past and present, with information on where the records are held now, but the records of most temporary military and Red Cross hospitals haven't survived - or if they have their whereabouts are unknown.

Hospital Records Database

I think that there are quite probably a lot of records lurking in local record offices and archives that are either not catalogued, or incorrectly catalogued - I can imagine that they have some dark and endless cupboards that contain all sorts of goodies :)

Sue

I think you are right. I spent a few hours searching the online UK archives last night andnoticed only two hospitals coming up with records. The most promising was still obscure, as it seemed to be a collection of 'representative' records used in demonstrating battlefield injury dynamics. Ah well...

So, not being too familiar with country record offices -- if I wanted to try and locate records from Northamptonshire - that would be the county right? And this archivist has already passed the buck?

I'm sure that any buck passing is intended to be helpful - if the Northampton Archives know they don't have any of these records, I guess they're just trying to lead you onwards.

The medical records that do survive seem to be those where the care was given in a place that was a hospital prior to the war, and continued as a hospital after the war. Those records were normally taken over by the local authority or voluntary board who governed the place. There are anecdotal stories of the records of Red Cross and private hospitals being taken home by commandants/others after the war and stored in their loft until the house got pulled down. It seems possible that some records of temporary military and auxiliary hospitals went back to the War Office, but if that was the case then they are likely to have been destroyed at some point with so much else not considered to be of long term use.

And at the end of the day, if records aren't catalogued by the archive that should hold them, whether they are hidden in a dark corner or not, it won't be possible to find them unless they get uncovered by chance in the future. And when you consider that the records of a hospital as prestigious as the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, were not preserved when it was pulled down in 1966, most searches for more minor ones are likely to prove long and fruitless :(

Sue

I agree with you, I think they were trying to be as helpful as they knew how. I did not get a name however -- the email was signed 'Enquiries Archivist'.

Thanks for your insight as to the challenges. I'm always hoping for the best and feel very fortunate my searching turns up anything at all.

bc

Folks

I am sorry if I am asking a stupid question, but I have not read every post on this thread (yet), so please forgve me

My gt-grandfather was wounded & evacuated home in early 1916 (possibly during the action at the Hohenzollern Redoubt), transferring quite quickly to the RE from the East Kent Regt, following an appeal for men capable of handling small boats (he had been a docker pre-war, & returned to this work after), but did not go overseas again until August 1918. My grandfather (now deceased) used to talk of travelling on Sundays to visit his father in Warley Hospital, Brentwood, where he was treated for shellshock.

Does anyone know if Warley was used for military cases during WW1, or would this have been at some stage after his discharge (with a medical pension) in 1919?

Thanks

Mark

• 1 month later...
You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

Hi,

I haven't read through all your mails so don't know whether this is much help. My Grandfather was injured in 1918 and was brought back from France to a hospital in Birmingham, but I don't know what it was called. As he was from Wrexham in North Wales I assume it was the closest.

All a bit vague I' afraid. Lesley.

Having just received papers for 2nd Lt Ernest George Dowdell [border Regt] I discovered that he had spent time in Lady Evelyn Mason's Hospital (For Officers), 16 Bruton St. [London] W following gunshot wounds received at the Front. There has been no mention of this hospital on the forum so far [unless I missed something].

I'll try and do some digging.

John

Something on this line is here for your info: http://www.juroch.demon.co.uk/hospitals.htm

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

One or two more Hospitals in the UK:-

Woodford Times 7th August 1914

RED CROSS SOCIETY

To the Editor, Woodford Times

Sir,

Now that war is formally declared I should be glad if I might make it known through your columns the fact that the Bancroft’s School would be taken over as a hospital in case of need, to be managed by the Buckhurst Hill Voluntary Aid Detachment, acting under the control of the Army Medical Corps. The hospital would, as now arranged, be for 50 beds, but in case of need we may be required to increase the number immediately.

Yours Faithfully

Francis E. Howard

Keynedon, Buckhurst Hill. Aug. 5, 1914

-------

Woodford Times 2 Aug 1916

Treat to Wounded Soldiers

On Tuesday last a very enjoyable treat was provided for the wounded at Ormonde House Hospital by Mr. H. A. Jones of Buckhurst Hill, at the suggestion of his wife and daughters, who are workers at the Hospital. The Roebuck Hotel had been engaged for the occasion, and in the afternoon a whist drive was arranged, followed by a substantial tea, after which the men settled down to enjoy an excellent concert arranged by Mr. H. C. Shepherd, organist of St. John’s Church

At the request of Mr. Jones, who was absent on important business in Sheffield, Mr. G. E. Gratton gave the men a hearty welcome. In the course of his remarks he said that Buckhurst Hill was well to the front in sending men into the Army. As he knew of 550 boys who had joined, 60 of whom had unfortunately made the great sacrifice. On behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family he gave a hearty welcome to the guests, among whom he noticed two Buckhurst Hill boys who had returned wounded.

The musical programme included some well rendered songs by Miss Ida Bullivant, (soprano) and some artistically played concertina solos by Mr. Jackson Jones. Mr. Frank Hudson convulsed the boys with his humorous songs and funny stories, and Sapper Haines brought down the house with his magnificently songs, in which his powerful and well-trained tenor voice was heard to great advantage. Several pleasing and popular selections on the piano were played by Mr. H. C. Shepherd.

At the close of the entertainment Mr. Askew proposed a vote of thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family for the enjoyable evening they had provided, and expressed regret that Mr. Jones was unable to be present owing to an important business engagement that had arisen after the date for that function was fixed. The motion was received with loud applause, and Pte. Mackie and Sergt. Rosson, on behalf of the wounded soldiers, expressed their keen appreciation of the kindly thought and generous action which had enabled them to spend such a pleasant evening.

Essex Weekly News Friday 22 June 1917

Pte C. Old, Essex Regt., of Maldon, who joined up soon after the outbreak of war was severely wounded on April 14th in the head, arms and leg and is now in Lady Forrester’s Hospital, Much Wenlock, Shropshire. His leg was amputated above the knee on June 6th and he is now progressing favourably. He had previously been invalided home

Hi

Can anyone shed anylight i have a DCM Goup to the RFA and my man was wounded at mons and taken to Bristal Hospital is there any list off men or archive to that hospital. Was there only one Hospital in Bristal it would be great to find out anymore info on his wounding. Any help would be great... :D:P Luke.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone any information on any hospitals in Carlisle that were used?

My grandfather was taken there and then transferred to a convalescent home near Morecambe and I am looking for information on both locations.

He was in the 11th Battalion Kings Liverpool regiment then transferred to the 1st battalion and wounded in his shoulder and head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Hi Tim

Carlisle Fusehill War Hospital 400 O/Rs

Sections:

Brook Street 170 O/Rs School

Newtown 80 O/Rs School

Unfortunately I don't have any other information on them but I hope this helps.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a letter sent by my Grandfather, William Fry, in July 1916 from the Broadwater hospital in Ipswich, Sufolk

I have been through the different lists of hospitals that I have found on this site but haven't found this particular one. I suppose it is known under another name.

Can anyone help me ?

Thank you in advance,

Gerald

I have been through the different lists of hospitals that I have found on this site but haven't found this particular one. I suppose it is known under another name.

Gerald

A quick search of the British Journal of Nursing shows that the Hospital was definitely called Broadwater Hospital, Ipswich, although all the references are simply to movements of staff and no address given. I suggest you ask the local archive/local studies library in Ipswich - I'm sure they will know where it was.

Sue

Hello Chris.

Here is another UK WW1 Hospital and location for your list.

2nd Eastern General Hospital.

Portland Road,

Hove (Brighton),

Urban District,

Sussex.

A School originally, it and other Building's in the area were converted for the purpose. circa 1914-1918.

Terry W.

Gerald

A quick search of the British Journal of Nursing shows that the Hospital was definitely called Broadwater Hospital, Ipswich, although all the references are simply to movements of staff and no address given. I suggest you ask the local archive/local studies library in Ipswich - I'm sure they will know where it was.

Sue

Thanh uou very mpuch, Sur,

Gerald

• 2 weeks later...

Problem!

A Canadian Nursing Sister who died in March 1919 at 9th Canadian General Hospital is buried in St Margaret Churchyard, Bodelwyddan, Wales.

Her memorial stone was jointly erected by the Nursing Sisters of 9th Canadian General Hospital, Kinmel Park and 11th Canadian General Hospital(quoted on the memorial as Brighton).

According to the War Diaries of 11th General, up until April 1919, the last that I can find on the net, they were located at Moore Barracks, Shorncliffe, Kent.

Can anyone advise if the 11th General moved to Brighton after April 1919?

Your assistance appreciated.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest topher07

Hi there,

Just wondering if you still have that 'Admission and Discharge' book, if you see a listing anywhere for an Edward Robert MORTON, from Canada. If I'm reading the records correctly, he was admitted on March 22, 1916 and discharged on May 30, 1916. The 'disease' listed was 'Myalgia'

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

I have a 'Army Book 27a - Admission and Discharge Book - For Field Service' for the 'Granville Canadian Special' Hospital at Ramsgate Road, England - (At a guess, Kent?)

The book was used from 31st Jan to 12th Aug 1916 for listing the return of operations performed on service personnel – name rank no. etc., and covers about fifteen pages.

At some later stage what looks like to be 1926 & 1933 the front of the book was used for another purpose, it became the 'Charge Book' for recording the charging of batteries (at the hospital?), when, by whom, etc. After only two pages of tatty records in pen & pencil it wasn't used again for this purpose, and the rest of the pages remain blank, perhaps someone had then realised the security or historical aspect of the book?

Not sure if it's been mentioned:

Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup, Kent:

The Archives

A series of coincidences resulted in the discovery of a remarkable collection of material which documents the development of plastic surgery at the beginning of the 20th Century. Driven by the persistence of Harold Gillies, and fuelled by the flood of casualties from the battle of the Somme, the Queen's Hospital, Sidcup was developed as the First World War's major centre for maxillo-facial and plastic surgery. Opened in 1917, the hospital and its associated convalescent hospitals provided over 1000 beds and between 1917 and 1921 admitted in excess of 5000 servicemen

http://website.lineone.net/~andrewbamji/index.htm

• 1 month later...

I have been researching the Military hospitals at Fovant during WW1 which includes one at Hurdcott Farms Camp. It had over 600 beds, with a further 49 recuperation beds in the Rectory at Tisbury, 5 miles away. I have just returned from a few days in AWM researching so have a lot more facts to add to those I already have.

Audrey Manor House, Lavington (it's not clear whether this was Market or West Lavington), Wiltshire was selected as suitable to be a clearing hospital by the 2nd Canadian General Hospital on January 2, 1915, the unit moving in that evening. The First Canadian Contingent had spent the winter under canvas on Salisbury Plain; in December some men moved into new huts (where, ironically, they suffered more ill-health than when in tents because the huts were so draughty) or into billets in villages bordering the Plain. (The Canadians also took over Bulford Manor House and Netheravon Cavalry School as hospitals, and occupied beds at Devizes Red Cross Hospital.) In early February the Contingent moved to active service, leaving behind a number of sick; when these recovered the temporary hospitals closed.

Moonraker