Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

I've just been reading a local history book "Life and work on Surrey Heath" (Mary Anne Bennet) this has a photograph of the Windlesham Military Hospital but, other than it being WWI vintage, gives no further details. Also given are the names of other large houses in the area which were requisitioned for use as hospitals ("The Priory" at Frimley, "Farelands" and "Heatherbank" in Camberley and "Windlesham Moor" in Windlesham). There is also a photograph of the Burrow Hill Colony (near Chobham) which was a hutted camp erected on about 113 acres to accomodate about 40 men and provide recuperation and training in open-air work such as fruit & vegetable growing for men who had returned from the war with TB. The air quality in the area in those days (probably not quite so good today as the M3 passes close by to the site) together with the proximity of pine woods was considered beneficial to the health of TB sufferers.

NigelS

• 3 weeks later...

The Cenacle, New Brighton, Merseyside was a British Red Cross Hospital belonging to the Cheshire Branch's Wallasey Division, known as Hospital No. 2. Opened in May 1915, the hospital provided 30 beds and had it's own operating theatre, initally treating casualities of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. Tents were later provided in the grounds to treat soldiers suffering with gas poisoning. The building had originally been a private residence, known as Sandrock, but had also been used as a Convent for a couple of years prior to the outbreak of WW1. The Red Cross have a wealth of material within their archives and are happy to deal with enquiries for a small fee - they were able to provide me with names of some of the Doctors and auxillary staff who had worked there.

If anyone has further information on The Cenacle or knows of a relative who was treated there, please let me know, as it's an ongoing project of mine.

I have been researching Surrey Hospitals and I have come across the following, which I have found reference to in Red Cross reports, memoirs, postcards and archives;

Addington Park War Hospital

Belmont

Bermondsey Hospital

Castle Relief Hospital, Bletchingley

Red Gables, Bletchingley

Thorncombe Military Hospital, Bramley

Bramshot Military Hospital

Camberley Auxiliary Hospital, Camberley.

Burntwood, Caterham

The White House Auxiliary Hospital, Cheam.

Ottermead Auxiliary Military Hospital, Ottershaw, Chertsey

Ottershaw Park, Chertsey

The Grange, Chertsey

Clandon Park, West Clandon.

Heywood Auxiliary Hospital, Cobham

Knowle Park, Cobham

Schiff Home of Recovery, Cobham

Oaklands Red Cross Hospital, Cranleigh

Addington Park/Addington Park War Hospital, Croydon

Auxiliary Hospital for Officers, Shirley Park, East Croydon.

Crescent War Hospital, Croydon.

St Dorothy’s, Croham Manor Road, Croydon

Hospital Stanford Road, Croydon

'Wallacefield' Convalescent Home, Combe Lane, Croydon.

Croydon War Hospital

South Croydon Relief Hospital, 254 Brighton Road, South Croydon

Kirkstall, Dorking

Leith Hill Hotel, Leith Hill, Dorking.

Holloway Sanatorium, St. Anne's Heath, Virginia Water, Egham

The Princess Christian British Red Cross Hospital, Englefield Green.

Red Cross Hospital, Bond Street, Englefield Green

Epsom and Ewell War Hospital, Epsom

Horton London County Asylum, Epsom

Manor London County Asylum, Epsom

Woodcote Park, Epsom, Later Queen Mary’s Convalescent Centre, Woodcote Park

Ewell (Co. of London) War Hospital, Epsom

Clive HouseClaremont, Esher

Lammas, later Esher Red Cross Hospital, Esher.

The Ewell Colony, Ewell

Ewell (County of London) War Hospital.

Ewell Military Hospital

Highlands Hospital, Shortheath, Farnham.

Hill Hospital, Farnham.

Waverley Abbey, Farnham.

Frensham Hill, Frensham.

Charterhouse Hospital, Godalming.

War Hospital Surplace Depot, Rotheley Mere, Godalming.

Guildford County Girls School,

Guildford War Hospital,

Hatchlands, Guildford.

Henley Park Military Hospital, near Guildford.

Hill House, Harvey Road, Guildford.

Newlands Corner Auxiliary Hospital, near Guildford.

Piccards Rough Relief Hospital, Sandy Lane, Guildford.

Red Cross Annexe to Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford

Stoughton Barracks Hospital, Guildford.

Warren Road Military Hospital, Guildford

Church Hill, Haslemere

High Rough, Haslemere

Hilders Military Hospital, Shottermill, Haslemere

High Rough Military Hospital, Hindhead.

Moor Hill Auxiliary Hospital for Officers, Hindhead

Moorlands Hotel, Hindhead

White Cottage, Hindhead

Anstie Grange Hospital, Holmwood

Broom House, Auxiliary to Clandon Park Hospital, West Horsley

Kenry House Hospital for Officers, Kingston Hill, Kingston on Thames.

Kingston Hospital

Union Infirmary Kingston, (Civil Hospital)

Kingston, Surbiton and District Red Cross Hospital, New Malden.

Red House Auxiliary Hospital, Leatherhead.

Furzedown Auxiliary Hospital, Limpsfield

Ford Manor, Lingfield

Red Cross Hospital, Rockshaw Road, Merstham

Nelson Hospital, Merton,

Ottershaw

Binefield Auxiliary Hospital, Oxted.

Coulsdon and Purley Auxiliary Hospital, Purley

Richmond Military Hospital

Richmond MOP Hospital

Richmond Park South African Hospital

Royal Star and Garter Hospital, Richmond Hill, Richmond

Redhill War Hospital, Earlswood Common, Redhill

The Beeches Auxiliary War Hospital, Reigate Hill.

Industrial Farm Colony, Duxhurst, Reigate.

St Mary’s Red Cross Hospital, Duxhurst, Reigate.

Church Road, South Park, Reigate

Hillfield Red Cross Hospital, Reigate

Kitto Relief Hospital, South Park Reigate

Reigate Hill, Reigate

The Ward Hospital, Reigate.

Military Hospital, Grove Road, Richmond.

Red Cross Hospital, The Green, Richmond.

Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton.

Roehampton Hospital

Enteric Depot, Shirley 'near Addington Park'

Southwark Military Hospital

Prince of Wales Hospital for Officers, Staines

Oakenshaw Hospital, Surbiton

Sutton Red Cross Hospital, Benfleet Hall, Sutton

Tooting, Church Lane Special Military Surgical Hospital

Tooting Church Lane MOP Hospital

Tooting, The Grove Military Hospital

Springfield War Hospital, Tooting

Bleakdown Auxiliary Hospital, West Byfleet

Blythswood Auxiliary Hospital, West Byfleet

Wallington Red Cross Hospital, Woodcote Road, Wallington

Sawyers, Chequers Lane, Walton on the Hill

Golf View Hospital, Walton on Thames

Mount Felix Hospital, Walton-on-Thames.

Obo later Golf View Hospital, Walton on Thames

Detention Military Hospital, Warlingham

Enteric Depot, Warlingham

Court Farm Military Hospital, Warlingham.

Brooklands, Weybridge

Barham Lodge Auxiliary Military Hospital, Weybridge

Caenshill Auxiliary Military Hospital, Weybridge

Cowley House, Highclere, Weybridge.

Erin Lodge Auxiliary Hospital, Oatlands, Weybridge.

Llandaff Auxiliary Military Hospital, Weybridge

St George’s Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Weybridge

102 American Red Cross Convalescent Hospital, Wimbledon

Auxiliary War Hospital, Thurstan Road, Wimbledon

Lady Ellenboro’s Hospital, Windlesham

Windlesham Moor Hospital, Windlesham

Great Roke, Witley

Beechcroft Military Hospital, Oriental Road, Woking.

Inkerman Barracks Hospital, Woking

Woking Military Hospital

Lady Northcliffe Hospital for Officers, Mortimer House, Sutton Place, Woking

Enteric Depot, Woldingham

Park View, Woldingham

Woldingham Military Hospital

I hope this helps.

Ally

There was a Hospital situated in woolton liverpool, now an old peoples home. Patients who died were buried in the nearby Allerton cemetery.

Ally: Thanks for your consideration and the fruits of your labours. I and many others do appreciate this.

John

Toronto

CANADA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris.

Dont forget there was a Hospital in Newmarket Suffolk/Cambridge. I think it was purpose built for the Great War casualties.And I think Nappsbury near St Albans was used for the shell shock cases.

Regards Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just joined the Forum. I have a Album full of Photographs of WW1 patients being treated at the Grange / Woodlands in Southport. The Photo's include patients in beds, relaxing outside, putting on shows, staff, amenities, transport etc. Where would the best place be to deposit such a thing

Hi Hamsie

Welcome to the Forum

What a great resource you have. I would be tempted to say deposit it at your local Archives.

Meanwhile I would also suggest you start a new thread in 'document depository' part of this Forum with the Hospital name in the title and something like 'album of photos'. That may attract more readers who will no doubt have questions and suggestions.

(Mine would be. 'Any names, rank and numbers?')

Hywyn

Hello Hamsie

Welcome to the forum.

I aslo have as question. Are any of the nursing staff named in any of the photos?

Tony

Tony, Unfortunately not. The photograghs are actually of the postcard type. However, there are many clear shots of the staff and the ward they woked in. The first photo is of the first soldiers to arrive.

Cheers

john

• 3 weeks later...

More Hospitals.

Woburn Abbey Hospital.

The Cottage Hospital, Woburn. Not 100% guarantee on the cottage hospital.

Alan

In case this has not been included - in the Royston Crowe I came across reference to a 22 bed hospital being opened in the Shepreth (S. Cambs, near Royston) Village Hall November 1914, funded by local subscription. Have only made it to May 1915 so far but their first woudned soldier arrived before Xmas 1914 and it is still running and 2/3 full in May 1915.

Oddly, there was also mention of Addenbrooks in Cambridge, which I was led to believe opened many decades later? Can keep an eye open for other mentions when I carry on searching the Crowe if confirmation needed?

I came across this postcard at a recent postcard fair - if anyone would like a higher resolution scan just drop me a PM.

Regards, Tommy.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Other VAD Hospitals in Wiltshire:

Calne - The Pavilion, Anchor Road Recreation Ground

Corsham - Town Hall, Market Place

Devizes - Braeside (House), Bath Road

Malmesbury - Burton Hill House, Burton Hill

Melksham - Conservative Club, High Street

Trowbridge - Avonview House, The Down

As an aside there was quite a furore in Devizes because the Matron of the Cottage Hospital was German.

Do you know anything about the hospital for officers at Wilton House, near Salisbury? Beds for 30 I understand and seems to have been staffed by Red Cross (VAD) mamck.

• 2 weeks later...

One for the list if not there already. Also, have a photo and article on the Royston Soldiers Hosiptal, Queens Road, Royston if useful to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning at the Rememberance Service at Bickley Church in Cheshire I noticed a large white flag with a red cross.

The inscription was "Higginsfield Hospital 1914-1919".

Nearby there is a large house on the A49 called Higginsfield, so there must have been a hospital there. I tried to google "Higginsfield Hospital" but no results.

• 2 weeks later...
I came across this postcard at a recent postcard fair - if anyone would like a higher resolution scan just drop me a PM.

Regards, Tommy.

Winwick Hospital was a 'Mental Hospital' ,where cases of Shell Shock were treated.

The building is now demolished,but the authorities were kind enough to invite Mersyside W.F.A. to view the Padded cells before they were destroyed.

I can't recall anyone taking up their kind offer!

Gill

Two more to add to my list of Surrey's hospitals.

Catherine Gladstone Convalescent Home, Mitcham

8th Canadian Hospital, Witley Camp. Moved from Hastings to Witley on 9 October 1917 for Genito Urinary (i.e. sexually transmitted diseases) cases with the capacity for 600 beds.

Another one for your list

Ivybank Hospital, Nairn run by VAD and Red Cross - I think there is a list of patients from surviving records.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

I have been collecting pictures of the Cambridge Great Eastern No. 1 Hospital which are now on-line on the Roll of Honour web site

Hi I am new to the forum and I was very interested in this thread.I know from reading all the entiries that Napsbury hospital has been listed above but wondered if anyone would be interested in the following link which has some photos and questions.It can be found at

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/d...w1-patients.htm

Also one of our ancestors service record which we have just located has the address of a hospital at Dundee. His record is stamped ' Dundee War Hospital, Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital, The Lodge, Broughty Ferry.' so I thought I'd add it to the list. Hope I have posted this corrrctly. Thanks

I hope someone out there can help. My Great Grandfather was a Surgeon at Beaufort Military Hospital in Bristol UK. He performed an operation to remove Shrapnel from the Heart of a Canadian Soldier. I am trying to find out what I can about this. ie The name of the soldier. When it was done. How he recovered etc.

Glenside Museum have been very helpfull although they only have photographic history and very little documented. I see they joined this thread earlier on.

I see this thread started severel years ago. Did anyone compile the input?

Thanks in advance. Monty

Richmond Park hospital then in 1916 became Richmond Military hospital. Photos exist in the National Army Museum.

Le Treport had the 3rd,16th, and 2nd Canadian General Hospitals. The No 10 Red Cross hospital ( Lady Murrays Hospital).

Frevent had No6 Stationary hospital.

Ian

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

My Grandfather was wounded on 31/07/1917 and he ended up for several months at Addenbrooks Hospital near Cambridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your posting.

Richmond Park Hospital opened in June 1916 in the north west corner of Richmond Park, near to the Star and Garter Hospital. It treated mainly South African troops.

The Richmond Military Hospital was in Grove Road, Richmond. It was part of the Union Workhouse infirmary and opened in August 1915, among its patients were German POWs. In July 1918 it became an extension of the Richmond Park Hospital.

The next time I am in the National Army Museum I will have a look at the photos, so thanks for the tip.

Best wishes

Ally