Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Wye House Asylum [buxton]Derbyshire. I'm not sure if this was in use or not during the war, but I found it in the the advertisement section of 'White's [1894] Directory of Leeds', and thought it looked interesting. Note the blurb: 'for patients of both sexes of the Higher and Middle Classes'. Standing room only, then. :lol: Cheers, Dave

post-13441-1191617560.jpg

Guest Anne Clark
You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

<span style='color:blue'>How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

</span>

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

Guest Anne Clark

Does anybody have details of hospitals in Hastings, Sussex for WW1 casualties up to 1920? I am trying to obtain information on my grandfather Cecil Christopher Murray who died in September 1920 as a result of being gassed. I am still trying to establish his regiment etc so unfortunately I cannot yet include those details here. Many thanks.

Hello Anne,

I've had a quick look. There are no obvious Medal Index Cards for him.

Have you tried getting your grandfather's death certificate?

They are not much use for those who died outside the UK, but for officers and men who died in Home based hospitals the regiment is almost always given, that is if he was still in service at his death.

His Death Certificate reference is 1920, 3rd quarter, Hastings, vol. 2b, page 46.

Cost £7.00 from GRO.

All the best.... Oh and welcome to the forum!

Nigel

Anne

Welcome to the forum.

Apart from the 13th Canadian General Hospital there was the established Royal East Sussex Hospital (RESH), since closed and superceded by the Conquest Hospital and one other that, at the moment, I cannot recall the name will contact my daughter to find out.

Enjoy you time on the Forum

Good luck

Tony

Anne

Further to my last post the Royal East Sussex Hospital would have been known as the East Sussex Hospital in WWI

There was also a Frederick Road Infirmary

However the Hospitals Database gives no indication that these were converted to military hospitals but they may well have taken in wounded service personnel.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Tony

Given access to some PPC's from the family of an AIF digger.

First of three of same hospital where he spent time after being wounded.

post-10363-1191919428.jpg

Second image which identifies it as being in Croydon.

post-10363-1191919718.jpg

Final image, should anyone one want high-res versions, then PM me.

Jim

post-10363-1191919865.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I expect they've been mentioned already somewhere in this very long thread, but here are details of two hospitals in Torbay, Devon:

In August 1914 a Red Cross Hospital was opened in Torquay town hall; when it closed in Match 1919, staff had met 154 trains arriving at the station (Torquay - or the closer one at Torre?) and 10,441 sick and wounded soldiers had been cared for.

Paris Singer (of the sewing-machine family) made Oldway mansion, Paignton available to the American Women's War Relief Fund, Lady Randolph Churchill being chairman of the Hospital Committee. In 1916 there were 255beds, and a staff of 151, including 8 surgeons, 15 American Sisters, 17 English Sisters and 21 probationers - plus four gardeners and six gatemen/groundsmen. By then, 3,203 cases had been admitted, with an average stay of just over 31 days. Only 13 men had died.

Moonraker

Just saw the service papers of a chap who was wounded in the knee at Festubert in May 1915, who was treated at Horton (County of London) Hospital, Epsom.

My granddad, Driver Thomas Dodd (245 &267 Bde's, RFA) almost certainly went through"Horton War Hospital (County of London) Epsom". It was one part of a large pre-War mental asylum complex, most of which still exist, though in sad repair. During the War, part of the complex was given over to the military and became a class A hospital receiving wounded from the front. My granddad was later moved to a small (30 bed) class B or recovery hospital, Merstham Hospital, located in a house called Chaldon Rise on Rockshaw Road, Merstham. This hospital was, I gather, part of regional or county network of class B hospitals which many class A's, including Horton, maintained, particularly when the wounded began to swamp their capabilities. As interesting trivia, (having unloaded all of the above, why not?) the MO at Merstham Hospital was Dr Walter Weir, the town doctor who was talked into it by the local VAD (Surrey 84) and the hospital opened 1 July, 1916 (anyone recognize the date?), closing in 1920.

Whew!

Colin

Follow the Psychiatry Link on the left of this site to Psychiatry 3 for info and photos of Beaufort War Hospital

http://www.glensidemuseum.org.uk/

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

<span style='color:blue'>How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

</span>

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

Hi Chris,

What a coincidence! My first search for Military Hospitals directed me to this thread and in your second post you mention Wharncliffe in Sheffield.

That's where my Grandad was patched up also. Not sure of the year and I don't know if he went back to France afterwards. Anyway, my Grandmother was a nurse there and that is how they met. The rest - including my existence - is history, as they say!! So if it wasn't for Wharncliffe I wouldn't be here I suppose!

Such is life!

Anyway, I digress - I just thought it was a funny coincidence!

What I'm trying to discover is if there are surviving records of the men who passed through these hospitals. I'm trying different avenues of investigation as my Grandad's records do not exist at the National Archives. So far I haven't met with any success and wondered if anyone on the Forum knows anything?

P.S. I have a photograph of him in his hospital 'fatigues' along with a few other patients in the grounds of the hospital. Who knows if one of them is your relation!!! Unlikely I know!!!

Cheers,

Grant

Hi. Does anyone know if any records of admissions etc survive for Lincoln Military Hospital? My Great Grandfather died of wounds there on 16 July 1916. (I guess it's a long shot but hopefully someone might know something.)

The following is the story of wartime hospitals in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

Shortly after the outbreak of war the Countess of Suffolk set up a 30 bed hospital in Charlton House. Its history is related in the following article from the North Wilts Herald Friday October 15 1915;

"CLOSING OF CHARLTON PARK HOSPITAL.

A Year’s Good Work.

Countess of Suffolk’s Generosity

At the end of the present month the Countess of Suffolk’s Hospital at Charlton House, near Malmesbury, is to be closed after having served a most useful purpose for exactly a year in the treatment and care of sick and wounded soldiers. The definite decision of Lady Suffolk to close Charlton House altogether for an indefinite period, owing to her ladyship having arranged to sail for India next month, has necessitated the change in the original plans with regard to the hospital. The Earl of Suffolk, it will be remembered, is serving in India as major in command of the Wilts Battery, 3rd Wessex Brigade, R.F.A. (Territorials).

By kind permission of the Countess and by courtesy of Mr. Aubrey Hopwood (private secretary), and Miss O’Brien (matron) we are able to publish some interesting details of the noble work done in the hospital during the year it has been open as an auxiliary to the 2nd Southern General Hospital, Bristol. When the war broke out the Earl and Countess of Suffolk were amongst the first of our English nobility to offer their residence as a temporary hospital. Miss O’Brien who had been superintendent of the London University College hospital was at that time in charge of the Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachments in the Malmesbury district, and her services were at once requisitioned by the Countess as matron of the new hospital. The preparations made were on a lavish scale, for her Ladyship considered that nothing that could be done for our brave soldiers could be too well done as a token of gratitude for their noble sacrifice. Accordingly the magnificent picture gallery at Charlton House was stripped of its art treasures, many of these being priceless art paintings, and the capacious room, the ceiling of which was designed by Inigo Jones, was fitted up a hospital ward. The ward, when completed, contained 30 beds, all conveniently placed to allow of free access to the patient, so that every needed attention could be given one without disturbing the others. The hospital as a whole was not, of course, confined to the picture gallery, but consisted of a self-contained block, cut off from the rest of the house, and comprising an operating theatre, nurses’ quarters, lavatories, baths, etc. Everything that was provided was absolutely new, the equipment being the very best procurable, and no expense being spared in this direction. If we were permitted to name the sum expended, even approximately, it would stagger the general public who have little idea of the enormous expense connected with such a venture. Everything was in order to receive patients for some time, but the first patients did not arrive until October 27th. Later an electrical department was added, this enabling the staff to give the patients radiant heat baths and high frequency treatment. This proved a huge boon for by means of radiant heat and massage certain patients got well in half the time necessary without this modern process.

In the course of the year the whole of the accommodation has at times been utilised, but often there have been beds to spare. Altogether there have been 148 patients and most of these have been surgical cases, shrapnel and similar wounds, the remainder about 30 being medical cases. There were several cases of frost-bite in the early months of this year, and it is gratifying to know that the treatment of these was particularly successful, no amputations being necessary. Indeed the whole record of the hospital has been remarkable in having not a single death, and some of the cases on arrival were serious enough to all appearances.

Miss O’Brien assisted by four fully-trained nurses was responsible for the principal work of the hospital. Eleanor, Countess of Suffolk has been commandant, her Ladyship being indispensable in carrying out what ever duties were possible to her, and those were many, for she had previously become well-trained in home nursing and first-aid, as well as general hospital work in her capacity as Commandant of the Charlton V.A.D. To Lady Agnes Howard fell the task of caring for the men’s clothes of which she has had the entire charge. From the time the patients arrived Lady Agnes looked after their clothes and saw that the soldiers’ comfort was assured by having their clothes well-aired.

Miss O’Brien herself has been an ideal matron. Our representative was assured of this by many of the soldiers who had been privileged to be cared for at Charlton House. They were loud in their praises of the beautiful hospital and park, which they appreciated to the full. They had had cricket, bowls, and other outdoor games during the fine days of the summer and these largely helped them to regain their health and strength once they became convalescent. With all these advantages however, without Miss O’Brien’s admirable skill and constant vigilance in the interests of her patients, they would not have progressed anything like so well and they were one and all deeply indebted to her. The discipline has been excellent. Of course the Matron has been strict, but that policy is always an essential to success in a military hospital.

As to the help rendered by the local members of the Voluntary Aid Detachment, Miss O’Brien paid them a high tribute of praise. “They all worked most loyally and well,” said Miss O’Brien “and quite qualified their existence. They have been of the greatest possible use.” These Red Cross members have worked in batches each one doing a half-day’s work per week, and all having regular days. The Crudwell members have been mainly responsible for the night duty. The following are the list of the members who have helped.

Malmesbury Detachment; Miss Luce (commandant), Mrs. Ramsey (quartermaster), Miss Alexander, Miss G. Alexander, Mrs. Basevi, Miss Bower, Miss Brown, Mrs. Hugh Barker, Mrs. M. Chubb, Miss E. Chubb, Miss P. Chubb, Miss L. Clark, Miss Daniels, Mrs. Edwards, Miss Fisher, Miss R. Farrant, Mrs. Grant, Miss Gay, Miss Hanks, Mrs. F. Jones, Mrs. W. Jones, Miss Jones, Miss Jenkins, Mrs. King, Miss Milner, Miss M. Moore, Miss Pollen, Mrs. Pearce, Miss Smith, Mrs. Tabor, Miss Wilkins, and Miss L Wilkins, with Mrs. Weaver, Mrs. Teagle and Mrs. Gawthropp (attached for temporary duty).

Charlton Detachment; Eleanor, Countess of Suffolk (commandant), Miss Whiting, Mrs. Gwinnett, Miss Lea, Mrs. Pendall, Miss Sisum, Mrs. Davis, Miss Stratton, Miss D Law, Mrs. Shellam, Mrs. Law, Mrs. Cove, Mrs. Finch, Mrs. Porter, Miss Tait, Mademoiselle Eberlin, Mrs. Woodhouse, Miss Wilson, Mrs. Coldwell, and Mrs. Chester-Master.

Crudwell Detachment; Mrs. Whitcombe (commandant), Miss Clara Ody, Miss Pattie Chamberlain, Miss Alice Hislop, Miss Elsie Cuss, Miss Blanche White, Miss Esme Whitcombe, Miss Linda Godwin, Miss Ethel Roseblade, Miss Daisy Large, Miss Amy Redfern, Mrs. Sole, Mrs. R. Large and Mrs. Parker.

Mr. Hopwood told our representative that there is no question of the hospital being transferred to Malmesbury or anywhere else. When Lady Suffolk closes Charlton House her Ladyship’s connection with the hospital ceases, of course, and whatever might be done to continue the work of an auxiliary hospital elsewhere in the neighbourhood would be quite independent of her effort. This explanation was due said Mr Hopwood, on account of a rumour which appeared to be prevalent in the town that what was going to take place was merely a transfer to another house in Malmesbury or the district.

To the generous benefactress many hearts are sincerely grateful for her noble work, and all will wish her Ladyship, when she leaves for the East, “bon voyage” and a safe return, once to resume in Charlton House, accompanied by the Earl and the family, her position as the Lady Bountiful of the neighbourhood."

A proposal to open a Red Cross hospital elsewhere in the town was not approved. However it seems as a result of casualties from the Somme battle the Cottage Hospital (25 beds) became a Red Cross hospital during July 1916. Presumably pressure was exerted to expand and towards the end of the year Burton Hill Manor House was taken over adding another 25 beds. The Wesleyan Chapel in Oxford Street closed during 1916 and was used as recreation rooms but in 1917 and 1918 contributed another 25 beds. It is unclear when the Red Cross relinquished control.

References are British Red Cross 1915 Summaries of Work, Various Hospitals treating Military Cases 1917, Accounts of Auxiliary Hospitals 1916 & 1918 - all available from British Red Cross Museum & Archives, 44 Moorfields, London EC2Y 9AL.

Chas

I have the Canadian Mother's Cross named to Sgt Alexander Donaldson (44th Bn CEF) who died of complications on the 1st January 1919 after being wounded on the 1st November 1918. He died at No 12 Canadian General Hospital, Bramshott Hampshire.

The following is from the CWGC site.

From the autumn of 1915, to October, 1919, a Canadian Training Centre was placed in the open country on both sides of the Portsmouth road, between the turnings to Grayshott and to Bramshott; and the soldiers who died in No. 12 Canadian General Hospital, which served the camp, were buried in Bramshott Churchyard, or (in the case of the Roman Catholic soldiers) in the Churchyard of St. Joseph's Church, at the West end of Grayshott. The first burials at Bramshott took place in Plot I, which is part of the original Churchyard; but in time it became necessary to enlarge the Churchyard, and an extension (Plots II and III) was formed. The original Churchyard and the Eastern side of the extension are bounded by a wall, and on the same side, between Plots II and III, is the War Cross which was dedicated on Sunday 24th April 1921.

Lee

Hi All,

If you have a look on Google Earth at around 51deg 05 min 18sec North & 0deg 46min 50sec West - You can still see some of the roads from the old camp. I used to play there as a young fella. There are still a few memorial trees to the Canadians along the edge of the A3 right there (Been 5-6 years since I've been back so all may have changed!)

Postcard of Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport. Sent home by my grand uncle Donald Innes 2/4th Seaforth Highlanders.

Margaret

Pte Donald Innes 2/4 Seaforth Highlanders (Medaille Militaire)

Corporal Arthur Innes 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders (KIA 20 July 1918)

Pte Hector Innes. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Pte Jack Innes, 7th Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Pte Alexander Innes, CEF

post-27955-1195433385.jpg

I am writing from Canada and this is the first time I have ever joined something like this.

My great aunt was a nurse in World War One at Highbury VDA hospital in Birmingham. I have her two autograph books (1916 to 1918) in which her soldier patients signed, wrote poems, drew pictures etc. I was wondering if this hospital still exists today and if so how I could contact them. Thank you for your interest . SM

I don't know whether this has been posted before, but there's a very comprehensive database at http://www.juroch.demon.co.uk/UKhospitals.htm

Noel

I thought that this looked a good list for Northamptonshire (at least) but checking against another source I can add at least one - East Haddon Institute (in addition to East Haddon Hall)

My list is:

Great War "Military" Hospitals in Northamptonshire

Milton Park, Peterborough

Cottesbrooke

Northampton General Hospital

Weston Favell

Blakesley

Eydon Hall

Hinwick House

Burghley House

Wellingborough

King Street, Northampton

Duncote Hall

Guilsborough (Guilsborough Hall)

Higham Ferrers

Rushton Hall

Kettering General Hospital

Kettering VAD

Everdon Hall

Daventry

Thornby

Barnwell Castle

East Haddon Institute

Towcester

Abington Avenue, Northampton (Abington Avenue School)

Dallington (Dallington Hall)

Addison Villas

Brackley

Castile House

Church Brampton Golf Club

Lois Weedon

Sulby Hall

Barry Road, Northampton (Barry Road School)

Wothorpe

Bishop's Palace, Peterborough

East Haddon Hall

Duston (County Asylum, Berrywood)

• 3 weeks later...

WALMER, KENT.

St Anselm’s VAD Hospital (100 beds) (Kent/22 and Kent/142)

(October 1914 – 31 March 1919). This hospital used two

houses belonging to Mr Justice & Lady Sargant – St Anselms and

General’s Meadow.

My grandfather was transfered here from sandwich military hospital after his leg was amputated.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother was born at Tow Law in County Durham and worked as a VAD Nurse at the 17th Durham VA Hospital at Etherley House. I have her service record, medals and certificates. I also have a photo of her with other nurses and staff taken outside Etherley House.

I was born at Fence Houses in County Durham, approximately a quarter of a mile from Morton House which was the 14th Durham VA Hospital and approximately half a mile from the Long Room at Chilton Moor which was the 9th Durham VA Hospital.

Alan Vickers.

• 5 weeks later...

My great aunt was a nurse in World War One at Highbury VDA hospital in Birmingham. I have her two autograph books (1916 to 1918) in which her soldier patients signed, wrote poems, drew pictures etc.

I was interested to read that piece as I have been researching Naunton Park VAD hospital Cheltenham for the same reason. My grandmother had an album inscribed by wounded soldiers too see below.

Drawings and cartoons made by patients at Naunton Park Hospital.

Found in an album belonging to Florence Amy Pettit. The names were as follows.

Some had dates.

A (…….)son au 50 Canadians

AV Pettit 13.3.17

Pte WA Clissold 2/4 Royal Berks( Cleeve Hill )

Pte N Latcham Coldstream Guards

Bertie April 12/1918

C Freeman Feb 24th 1915

C G Higginbottom 335712nd Batt Lancs Fusiliers April 2nd 1917

Clifford Harrison 15/2/12

Pte A H Hudders No 1 Ordnance Mobile workshop (heavy) Army Ord Corps B E F

Wounded at Thiepval Sept 3rd 1916 Pte H Norris

W Smith 6th batt Ox and Bucks Regt 15th Feb 1917

Pte P Fawcett Glasgow Highlanders Feb 21st 1917

These are the names definitely associated with the hospital.

I am willing to check for others and to send copies of the illustrations on request.

May

My great aunt was a nurse in World War One at Highbury VDA hospital in Birmingham. I have her two autograph books (1916 to 1918) in which her soldier patients signed, wrote poems, drew pictures etc.

I was interested to read that piece as I have been researching Naunton Park VAD hospital Cheltenham for the same reason. My grandmother had an album inscribed by wounded soldiers too see below.

Drawings and cartoons made by patients at Naunton Park Hospital.

Found in an album belonging to Florence Amy Pettit. The names were as follows.

Some had dates.

A (…….)son au 50 Canadians

AV Pettit 13.3.17

Pte WA Clissold 2/4 Royal Berks( Cleeve Hill )

Pte N Latcham Coldstream Guards

Bertie April 12/1918

C Freeman Feb 24th 1915

C G Higginbottom 335712nd Batt Lancs Fusiliers April 2nd 1917

Clifford Harrison 15/2/12

Pte A H Hudders No 1 Ordnance Mobile workshop (heavy) Army Ord Corps B E F

Wounded at Thiepval Sept 3rd 1916 Pte H Norris

W Smith 6th batt Ox and Bucks Regt 15th Feb 1917

Pte P Fawcett Glasgow Highlanders Feb 21st 1917

These are the names definitely associated with the hospital.

I am willing to check for others and to send copies of the illustrations on request.

May