The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Hi

Eastbourne Military Hospital

Officers 12 beds

Other Ranks 312 beds.

Eastbourne Military Convalescent Hospital.

3,840 beds Other ranks.

Eastbourne Canadian Military Hospital.

Other ranks 627 beds Canadians only.

Eastbourne affiliated Hospitals

Redburn Auxiliary Hospital

other ranks beds 80.

De Walden Court.

other ranks beds 120.

Leaf Homoepathic Hospital.

other ranks beds 9.

Kempston Auxiliary Hospital.

other ranks beds 70.

Upperton Auxiliary Hospital

other ranks beds 60.

Urmston & Fairfield Court.

other ranks beds 200.

Hope this helps cheers Roy

Not sure if this one has been covered so far but we have just been staying at the Willersley Castle Hotel, Cromford, Derbyshire DE4 5JH. The building dates back to the 1700's and was built for one William Arkwright, a mill owner. A cast plaque by the entrance states that it was used as an Auxillary Hospital during the 1914-1919 War.

Roy

Stobhill Hospital was built by Glasgow Parish Council and opened in 1903-1904. It had 1,867 beds, of which 200 were for pychiatric assessment. During the 1914-1918 war the hospital was used for wounded servicemen and known as the 3rd and 4th Scottish General Hospitals.

Dan

Hi Dan

The 3 Scottish T.F. General Hospital Stobhill, was a Poor-house Hospital it could take 1,163 other ranks & had 50 beds for Venereal cases. The 4th T.F. could take 1,180 other ranks & 50 cases for Venereal cheers Roy

A very impressive thread, though I now find it difficult to find my way through it. So I don't know if the Australian Isolation Hospital at Brimstone Bottom midway between Tidworth and Ludgershall, Wiltshire has been noted yet. (Have searched for "Brimstone Bottom", but no hits, so I may be contributing a few extra crumbs of gen.) I've just won on eBay a pass for a soldier who presumably was a patient there c1917 or 1918.

Brimstone Bottom was the site of the navvy village or "Tin Town" for men building Tidworth Barracks at the start of the 20th century; I don't know if the huts survived after the barracks were completed and were then used for isolation purposes, or whether the AIF hospital was purpose-built.

The spot is now very close to the end of the military railway line from Andover, and very close by is a former railway bridge whose sides were reinforced after tanks kept on crashing into them.

Moonraker

Hi Moonraker

Brimstone Bottom was part of Tidworth Military Hospital, it had 117 other ranks beds for Infectious cases only. The other sections were

1. Lucknow 44 other ranks beds Cerebro-spinal fever cases only.

2. Delhi, Married Quarters 33 Officers beds, Infectious cases only.

3. Delhi, Married Quarters other ranks 2 beds Women only.

And Tidworth Military Hospital had,

20 beds for Officers.

804 beds for other ranks

20 beds for eye cases.

20 beds for ear & throat cases.

16 beds for Mental cases.

10 beds for Prisoners (Salisbury area)

Cheers Roy

Hi not sure if you already have these:

St Lawrence Hospital Chepstow (demolished about 6 years ago and is now a housing estate!), was in use during WW1 and WW2, and was used to train SAS medics for the Falklands War. In 1991 had just been renovated in case of use for mass casulaties (burns) from the 1st Gulf War.

Frenchay Hospital Bristol - believe this was mainly convelesance in WW1.

Vic & Angela

• 2 weeks later...

post-3920-1146512503.jpg

This is Furzedown Auxilliary Hospital in Limpsfield Surrey. I hope to do some research on it when I get the chance

Hi Hambo

It was a convalescent cases only Hospital with 22 beds for other ranks. cheers Roy

Just out of curosity......

I know the 4th Northern General Hospital was in Lincoln but was there also a 4th General Hospital at Versailles..........this has always been confusing for me when trying to determine a mans service in the RAMC.........if a clerk forget to include 'Northern' it could in theory be impossible to determine which hospital.........why werent all hospitals given different numbers?

Steve.

Steve

The 4th (British) General Hospital was located at Versailles.

Dave

I know the 4th Northern General Hospital was in Lincoln but was there also a 4th General Hospital at Versailles..........this has always been confusing for me when trying to determine a mans service in the RAMC.........if a clerk forget to include 'Northern' it could in theory be impossible to determine which hospital.........why werent all hospitals given different numbers?

Steve

If you carry on along the same line, by forgetting to include 'Northern' it might also go to:

No.4 London General Hospital [TF] Denmark Hill

No.4 Scottish General Hospital [TF] Stobhill, Glasgow, or

No.4 Southern General Hospital [TF] Plymouth, as well as

No.4 Stationary Hospital [at various places in France]

and so on... I tend to think that the numbering of the Territorial Hospitals in the UK, and the British General and Stationary Hospitals abroad didn't confuse anyone then as much as it confuses us now. And if, for instance, something was referred to, or sent to 'No.4 Hospital...' it would almost certainly carry on and add 'Lincoln' or 'France' etc. If Territorial Hospitals went abroad, then they were re-numbered to give them an individual identity abroad. I don't think you often see the UK TF hospitals referred to by just a number in contemporary sources - you normally get the town as well, or number + 'Northern' or 'Western' etc.

And just to be a real pedant, No.4 British General Hospital was also at St. Nazaire before it went to Versailles, and then to Camiers and finally Dunkerque.

And as a reminder to anyone trying to unravel the numbers, there's a list of hospitals on 'The Long, Long Trail - the hospitals in France are here:

Hospitals in France

and those in the UK here:

Hospitals in the UK

Hopefully :blink:

Sue

Hi Hambo

It was a convalescent cases only Hospital with 22 beds for other ranks. cheers Roy

Thanks Roy, out of interest, how did you come by the information??

Hambo

Hi Hambo

Its from the "List of the Various Hospitals Treating Military Cases in the United Kingdom" printed in 1917 by HMSO. cheers Roy

post-9012-1146948938.jpgfrom Staffordshire we have Newcastle Union war hospital which later became the City General Hospital, there is a large cemetery within 100yards radius of this and a large number of the soldiers who could be helped no more have their final resting places here. Commonwealth soldiers included.

(i visit these chaps regularly)

Karen

I have been researching women in the medical services of the British Army for a long time, especially the female doctors in WW1. There were very few in uniform because the barriers to women in medicine still existed as far as the army was concerned. Most female doctors were civilians attached to the army and the AMS Museum has the records. Those that went into uniform, I am hoping to trace in the newly released WO398 series at the National Archives.

Pete Starling

Queen Mary's Hospital , Southend-on-Sea

post-1871-1147015456.jpg

And one for the naval buffs among you. Queen Mary's became purely a naval hospital in 1917

post-1871-1147016080.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
And one for the naval buffs among you. Queen Mary's became purely a naval hospital in 1917

In Wincanton, Somerset, the Priory attached to St Luke & St Teresa RC Church in South Street was used as a hospital in WW1.

It was provided by the Somerset Branch of the British Red Cross Society and is said to have nursed 898 men wounded during the war. Info from the Somerset Historic Environment Record, maintained by Somerset County Council.

• 1 month later...
Guest dancookeuk

Hi,

I'm a new user to these forums, but I have been following the website for some time. I feel it's important to explain my aims rather than just pop my question on the forums!

I recently starting researching the war experiences of my grandad, 2nd Lieutenant Rowland Cooke, and my great-grandad, Private Oliver Foster.

I have written my first piece on the men with a somewhat general approach, answering the question 'how can the experience of family provide insight into the First World War?'

However, now I am undertaking my dissertation, looking specifically at war illness and disability. As such, the location of hospitals and potential information becomes very important.

My questions are as follows, and anyone who can answer them directly or even point me in the right direction would be doing a fantastic job.

- On Rowland's records it says he suffered from dysentery, first attending the 2nd Western General Hospital and then the Dysentery Convention Hospital. There is some mention of Hampshire, which leads to my confusion. This website states that the former was in Manchester, and I cannot find any information at all on the latter. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

- I understand that at Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup, Kent, there are many archives detailing war casualties and plastic surgery that took place. However, I also know there was Queen Mary’s Convalescent Auxiliary Hospital in Roehampton for limbless soldiers, and a Queen Mary's in Southend-on-Sea which became a naval hospital. Are these three different hospitals with the same name, or are they connected in any way?

Perhaps more questions will arise, and perhaps no one will have the answer (or I have missed them in these forums) but any help would be fantastic.

Thank for you your time,

Daniel Cooke

Chris

On Nov 15th 2002 you ask if anyone knew the exact location of the 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester.

I don't know if you ever got the answer but I have it listed as operating out of the Municipal Central School where it held 263 Beds for Officers.

I have only just caught up with this thread, got to page 6 (Phew) and decided to just post.

You may already be aware but the hospitals came under different commands. That is Northern Command, Southern Command, Eastern, Western, London, Scottish, Irish etc.

I can help you place the hospitals you have if that will help.

Barbara

Barbara,

You may be interested to read this thread (if you haven't done so already) on the 2nd Western General in Manchester

Hi Kate

No I hadn't read this thread, its before my time of joining. I've just had a quick scan through and will read it in depth soon.

I can answer your question, March 30th 2006. 'So, for clarification, is 2nd Western General a collective term for a group of hospitals of varying sizes in and around Manchester?'

Different areas came under specific area commands. The 1st Western General Hospital TF. was under the Western Command and was in Liverpool. The H.Q. 72 Shaw Street, Liverpool. Attached to this was sections of the Hospital and affilitated hospitals.

The 2nd Western General Hospital was in Manchester. The sections were located in 23 different schools, a poor law premises for VD cases and Stockport Town Hall (Civil Building). This also had affilitated hospitals attached.

The 3rd Western General Hospital was in Cardif. That too had sections and affiliated hospitals.

I hope this helps and i'm not telling you anything you have already found out.

I see that Chris did get his answer. I am so glad he did not have to wait 4 years to get it. :)

Barbara

Catching up...

Adding info to one of Kate's entries from a few years ago on this thread concerning the Duston military hospital: they have an archivist@northamptonshire.gov.uk who told me this hospital is now known as 'St. Crispins Hospital' and that they do not have any military hospital records -- that these records are at Kew.

In addition, the record of great uncle Don (aka Ron) Barley indicates he was also treated at the '1st Auxiliary Hospital', having been transferred there from Duston in July 1917. I have not yet been able to identify it further and don't know where it was.