Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Highclere Castle, Hampshire.

South West of Newbury. Home of the Herbert family (Lord Carnarvon)

Was used during the Great War as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

There was a hospital in the London area used by New Zealanders for "mental cases" and shell shock victims. According to the source I read the badly shell shocked soldiers were made to conform by being badly knocked about.

Also mentioned is a magazine or newspaper called "The New Zealander", which was circulated within the New Zealand forces and gave details of who had been wounded and where they were being treated.

I will post exact details later today, they are not to hand just now.

Knebworth House, Hertfordshire.

3 miles south of Stevenage, home of the Earl of Lytton. During the war an Auxiliary Home Hospital was installed on Knebworth Golf Course.

Andy

There was a hospital in the London area used by New Zealanders for "mental cases" and shell shock victims.

The hospital in question was Bradmore Hospital. Somewhere in the London area, does anyone know of it?. It must have been a fairly large place, about 50 men in a particular ward, ten or twelve of which were New Zealanders.

Imagine coming back from France, in a jittery state, and being met with what is described in the scan.

Similar scenes took place in the actual hospital.

post-1110-1116250983.jpg

Syon House, Middlesex.

In Syon Park, on the northern bank of the River Thames near Kew and one of the houses which belonged to the Dukes of Northumberland. Was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital during the Great War.

Andy

Holkham Hall, Norfolk.

Two miles west of Wells on Sea and home of the Earl of Leicester. During the war a house on the estate was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital. It was for the use of Officers only and opened in June 1915. Its running expenses were paid for by Lord and Lady Leicester.

Andy

Overstrand Hall, Norfolk.

2 miles south east of Cromer and home of Baron Hillingdon.

During the war this became an Auxiliary Home Hospital for fifteen officers financed by Lady Hillingdon. It was closed down in October 1916 due to the possibility of being bombed.

Andy

Dallington Hall, Northamptonshire.

Dallington is virtually part of Northampton now. During the Great War the hall was used as an auxiliary home hospital.

Andy

Hospital or Asylum during the war ?

Not sure about this one - But talking to a guy from our village he told me his uncle was admitted to SEVERALLS with shell shock and susequently died there.

Severalls Hospital, Colchester

The second Essex County Asylum

Opened May 1913

"The main hospital complex is a good and externally largely unchanged and intact example of an echelon plan hospital, The main hospital complex is surrounded by a variety of villas, accommodation blocks which were built between 1910 and 1935. This makes the site particularly interesting as it represents the changing attitudes of asylum design in the early 20th Century, away from the large hospital complexes so popular in the 19th century to the more 'homely' Colony Style where the wards where housed in smaller individual villas rather than large ward blocks."

Glyn

Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire.

10 miles north of Mansfield, was one of the seats of the Dukes of Portland. It was partly rebuilt during the war after a fire and was then used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

Examination Schools, Oxford University.

The building was used in the Great War as a Hospital becoming the 3rd Southern General Hospital.

Andy

Aston Hall, Shropshire.

3 miles south east of Oswestry, during the war it was used as an auxiliary Home hospital.

Andy

Hinton House, Somerset.

10 miles south west of Yeovil, home of the Earl of Poulett. Part of Hinton House was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

Hengrave Hall, Suffolk.

Three miles north-west of Bury St. Edmunds, was used an an Auxiliary Home Hospital during the Great War.

Andy

Clandon Park, Surrey.

Three miles outside of Guildford, was one time the seats of the Earls of Onslow. During the war it was used as a Military Hospital.

Andy

A contribution from Hornchurch. The massage room at New Zealand Convalescent Hospital Grey Towers Hornchurch. Regards Steve.

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

chris,does that mean converted hospitals as well,eg,schools and other buildings used for the duration,bernard

There was a hospital in the London area used by New Zealanders for "mental cases" and shell shock victims. According to the source I read the badly shell shocked soldiers were made to conform by being badly knocked about.

Also mentioned is a magazine or newspaper called "The New Zealander", which was circulated within the New Zealand forces and gave details of who had been wounded and where they were being treated.

The Chronicles of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, edited by Clutha Mackenzie, were published fortnightly in London from August 30, 1916 to January 10, 1919 and included regular reports from New Zealand hospitals. in the UK. The Bodleian Library at Oxford University has a set, but one needs a reader's ticket to get in.

The back of this postcard captioned "Head Quarters War Hospital "has "Tidworth Hants" annotated on it but I am very suspicious of manuscript locations appended to such items - at every fair I see card scenes wrongly identified in this manner. I have 100+ cards of Tidworth Barracks (which is right on the Wiltshire-Hampshire border) and I can't recognize the publisher of this one, "H Hillman", as a local.

(I also have postcards of wartime hospitals at Longleat, Figheldean, Travancore (Pewsey) , Maiden Bradley, Corsham and Mere, if anyone is interested,

post-6017-1116666457.jpg

Longleat, Wiltshire.

Three miles south west of Warminster. Home of the Marquess of Bath. During the War the house was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

Duncombe Park, North Yorkshire.

Close to the town of Helmsley within the North York Moors National Park and home of the Earls of Feversham. During the War this house was used as a convalescenmce Hospital run by Lady Feversham.

Andy

Gisborough Hall.

About eight miles south east of Middlesborough to the north of Gisborough Moor. During the War the Hall was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

Hovingham Hall, North Yorkshire.

Twelve miles north east of York and the home of the Worsley Family. During the Great War this Hall was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy

Thirlestane Castle, Scotland.

South east of Edinburgh, home of the Maitland family. During the Great War Thirlestane Castle was used as an Auxiliary Hospital with Viscount Maitland as its donor.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...