Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Have you looked at the minute books for Droxford Union Workhouse? It would seem a likely place to house medical facility.

Sue

Staff of the Lord Derby War Hospital, Winwick, Warrington.

Formerly Winwick Asylum.

Source: Family Tree Magazine - July 2004.

Dave

Another couple:

Charlton Court House at East Sutton in Kent

(see http://members.rogers.com/redhill/)

When I was a pupil there, there was an exhibition of letters from soldiers. Unfortunately as the school has now closed and the building is up for sale I have no idea where they'd be now.

Fairycroft House, Saffron Walden, Essex.

There was a Red Cross nursing corps, Cambs 20, based at Shepreth in Cambs, set up by Amy Affleck Webber, aunt Liberal Party leader Jo Grimond. One of my great great aunts was a member, as was her daughter when it was revived in the next conflict. First casualty - a woman who cycled into a lamppost in the blackout!

I have some pages scanned from Aunt Vic's autograph book with soldierly scribbles on if anyone is interested.

Adrian

• 5 weeks later...

Holmfirth Military Cottage Hospital with 12 beds opened in 1914 and evolved into the 60 bed Holmfirth Auxiliary Hospital during the war. Replaced by the new Holmfirth Memorial Hospital afterwards.

Birmingham (R.A.M.C.) Kings Heath annexe 1917

I attach, hopefully, a photo of Dr Midgeley, Dr Arabella (Ella) Kirker, Captain Muir and Sgt Dinning. I have about 12 photos in all outside the annexe, some of them are very faded - the only other names I have are for two patients, Bowen and Thomson. Of any interest? Karen.

post-6-1092506848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Machynlleth Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital.

Posted by a wounded Irish soldier to his father, letting him know where he was. His room is on the left, marked with a cross.

It was posted on the 6th October 1918.

Can send a scan of the other side to anyone who is interested.

post-6-1093264368.jpg

My grandfather was at MuswellHill No.10 (Alexandra Road) and at Woldingham Military Convalescent Hospital after gassing in April 1918.

Fred

Gartnaval Hospital, Glasgow

Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow

The Royal Infirmary, Glasgow

Fred

Photo of ward in previously listed hospital. no comment on the rear so none the wiser.

Mike

post-6-1093956738.jpg

You probably all know this already but the original buildings at Cheltenham racecourse were used as a hospital during ww1. They seem to have had a lot of yanks there so I do wonder if it was one we loaned to the US in 1918. Either way, when the building were demolished, they found a bunch of bricks with soldiers names etc. carved on. These are now set into the pillars inside the new main stand, opposite a bar which I think is called 'Tommies'.

Norfolk County Asylum, some 2 miles from Norwich was taken over by the army in 1915 and renamed Norfolk War Hospital, in the space of some 4 years it had treated nearly 45000 soldiers etc for everything from missile wounds ( some located with the help of x-ray equipment ) to gassing.

Up to 2000 patients were being treated at any one time, some of the less serious cases and those convalescing were housed in large 10 man tents behind the main block.

Rumour has it that transport taking patients from railway station to hospital very often ran at night in order that the locals could not see the vast amount of casualties arriving from abroad.

The hospital closed in 1998 and is now luxury flats although the plaque unveiled by Douglas Haig is still there.

I have posted 4 images of the hospital with the kind permission of Norfolk County Council Library & Information Services who by the way have a large collection of photos of soldiers from World War 1 for anybody interested at

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/leisure/libraries/

Ray

post-6-1094682807.jpg

Sorry.

I thought i posted 4, here are the other 3

Ray

post-6-1094684312.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gwy House, Bridge Street, Chepstow was used as an Auxilliary Hospital 1914-18.

A private dwelling until it was used as a girls school from 1909. Following the war in 1919 it reverted to its original use. It is now Chepstow Museum. Some photos of Hospital staff and the framed commemorative certificate are on display.

Dave

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but I have have not found any references to the No. 5 Katesgrove War Hospital Reading, Berks. Apparently it was used as a Bedlam before the war and served as convalesent hospital during the war's later years.

Brian

Australian soldiers wounded on The Western Front were taken to Exeter Military Hospital in August 1918. Anyone have any further information, or a pic?

The 'Derbyshire' connections of the picture immediately above, and the one of Lady Maud Cavendish at the top of this page, caught my eye.

Lady Maud Cavendish was the second child of the 9th Duke of Devonshire, and her home was at Chatsworth House - she obviously just popped down the road to do her duty at Bakewell. She was born on April 20th 1896, so was quite young when the photo was taken. She married Captain Angus Mackintosh on November 3rd 1917; he died the following year - October 13th 1918, and is buried in Arlington Cemetery. Her second marriage was to Brigadier Hon. George E. M. Baillie in November 1923, which was to be a little more enduring - he died on active service on 6th June 1941.

Sue

There was a WW1 Hospital in Bristol.

The Bristol City Mental Hospital -

"In 1914 it was taken over by the War Office to become the Beaufort War Hospital. The artist Stanley Spencer painted scenes depicting the day-to-day activities of the hospital (which can be seen at Burghclere chapel in Hampshire)."

I have a photograph of WW1 patients there, I will try and foind it and post it here.

Beaufort War Hospital, Fishponds, Bristol

www.medicalheritage.co.uk/GLOUCESTERSHIRE.htm

Hilary

There was a WW1 Hospital in Bristol.

The Bristol City Mental Hospital -

"In 1914 it was taken over by the War Office to become the Beaufort War Hospital. The artist Stanley Spencer painted scenes depicting the day-to-day activities of the hospital (which can be seen at Burghclere chapel in Hampshire)."

I have a photograph of WW1 patients there, I will try and foind it and post it here.

Beaufort War Hospital, Fishponds, Bristol

www.medicalheritage.co.uk/GLOUCESTERSHIRE.htm

Hilary

Interesting. You don't happen to have any information about Exeter War Hospital, do you?

Robbie

Can anybody advise whether the Norfolk Hotel, Bournemouth was used as an emergency hospital during World War I. The hotel ignored my request.

Tonym