Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Here is something interesting relating to WW1 Military Hospitals.

The attached scan was sent to me in the 1980s by a friend who lives near Ypres. From the amount of pitting it looks as though it could have been "dug up" at one stage. However, IIRC he found it at a local flea market or similar.

It looks to me like a key fob, and we can only guess at how it came to be in Belgium. My guess is that a wounded soldier kept it as a souvenir of his time in hospital when he went back to Belgium. He must have either lost the tag, or been killed, and sixty or seventy years later this item was retrieved and sold.

Military Orthopaedic Hospital, Shepherds Bush.

post-34-1108371066.jpg

No doubt mention has been made of the Australian Hospital at Sutton Veny? Here are some more details:

http://suttonveny.co.uk/1st_World_War/Aus_...grave_yard.html

I have a postcard showing a couple of the wounded Australians. Nice to see the mixture of Australian uniform and "Hospital Blues".

One of these men is a Private Kelly, although there is nothing to say which. Written on the back is:

Pte A. Kelly

10 Ward

1st A.G.H.

Sutton Veny

Warminster

post-34-1108371620.jpg

Guest Billy latham

I just had a quick look, but the only Haigh seems to be a Sydney Haigh of 51st Bn. Of course, there will be variants in spelling etc. Try searching the database yourself.

Sydney Haigh is actually one of the 3000 Fremantle soldiers I'm researching. He was a 34 year old Farmer from 34 Suffolk St Fremantle. His next of kin was his brother W Haigh.

I wonder if it's any relation to your Haigh Robbie?

While I'm in this topic, I haven't seen any mention of a military hospital in Fulham (though I might have missed it through the 9 pages of this thread).

I have a copy of a letter written by a soldier after he was evacuated sick from Gallipoli. He wrote it from Fulham military Hospital, which he said was a former workhouse. Does anyone have more info on this place?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew I dont know if you have a had a reply to your query regarding the military hospital in Fulham I have a reference taken from my grandfather 's Jarvis William Latham service record which indictes he was admitted to the Fulham military hospital St Dunstans road Hammersmith on the 30/1/19 suffering from Broncho Pneumonia. he served with the 3rd A.L.RO.C Australian Light Railway Operating Company. regards Billy Latham

In East Retford a local family the Huntsmans (of Benjamin Huntsman fame) set up a hospital in a large house on Lime Tree Avenue specifically for the Sherwood Rangers. Recordings of donations etc appear on aregular basis in the Retford Times.

Dorrie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sue adams

I'm very new here, not sure which reply method I should use - hope this is ok.

My grandmother was a nurse with QAIMNS in WWI and I have just received her War Record file from TNA. In 1917 she was returned to serve in the UK following ill health abroad, and was posted to the MILITARY HOSPITAL, BANGOR, N WALES between 7.5.17 and 16.5.19. During that time she caught both diptheria and influenza.

I didn't see that hospital mentioned earlier in the thread - does anyone know anything about it?

Family legend has it she was nursing German POWs from a camp in Penmaenmawr, a small village along the coast from Bangor. Again, does anyone know anything about this aspect?

• 3 weeks later...

This is an admirable endeavor and I see everyone's been contributing to the effort for a couple of years. Has a full list been compiled? I'm particularly interested in Clopton War Hospital, Stratford. Both the forum and the website are excellent resources for those of us researching World War I. (Forgive any posting errors - I'm new to this.)

You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

This is a photo of Braeside (House) Bath Road, Devizes, Wilts.

The caption which is self explanatory omits to mention that from the mid 1920s to the early 1970s this building was the Senior School (3rd-6th forms) site of Devizes Grammar School. I was there from 1960-65. The room behind the balcony on which the nurse is standing was the Headmaster's Office. The room to the right of the balcony was the Geography Room and the room below that brings back many happy memories as it was the History room.

The rough grassed area in the foreground was laid out as a pristine grass tennis court and all the school gathered around it on a hot summers day to watch the finals of the schools tennis annual championship.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

In the early 1990s I spent a year or so working in Cornwall House, Stamford Street, London SE1 I think this was the postal area) - probably the Southwark hospital referred to above. Certainly we understood that it had been a WWI hospital, and some of the rooms still had wide doorways to facilitate easy movement of beds. There was said to have been a tunnel leading to it from Waterloo Station to enable badly-wounded soldiers to be moved from trains out of sight of the public.

This may or may not be of help.....

39-40 Eccleston Square London SW1 was used as a hospital/nursing home for wounded Officers in WW1. The family who owned the premises had 2 houses in the Square and vacated this one for the period of the war.

When I worked there I had a call from an American lady to ask if she could look round the building as her mother had worked there in service from 1912 and she told me the story. I don't know which organisation ran the building as a hospital and it is just behind Victoria Station.

Winston Churchill lived in the Square just a few houses along and it was from here that he took up the post of First Sea Lord.

Squirrel

In the early 1990s I spent  a year or so working in Cornwall House, Stamford Street, London SE1 I think this was the postal area) - probably the Southwark hospital referred to above. Certainly we understood that it had been a WWI hospital, and some of the rooms still had wide doorways to facilitate easy movement of beds. There was said to have been a tunnel leading to it from Waterloo Station to enable badly-wounded soldiers to be moved from trains out of sight of the public.

The hospital with the tunnel [reputedly] was King George Military Hospital in Stamford Street. It occupied one of the buildings of the 'new' HM Stationery Office, built to replace the existing facilities in Princes Street, Westminster, and which had just been completed, but not occupied by autumn 1914. At the outbreak of war, the War Office requisitioned the larger of the two buildings, the warehouse in Stamford Street, the other being office accommodation in Waterloo Road. The Times immediately started a fund to raise money by subscription, which was very successful, and the hospital opened on 26th May 1915 - it was intended to have 1,650 beds, but this number eventually rose to in excess of 2,000. I believe [but can't back it up at present] that this made it the largest military hospital [by total number of beds] in the UK housed under one roof. The tunnels were built as an integral part of the Stationery Office warehouse to facilitate the movement of supplies between Waterloo Station and the building.

There are many postcards of the interior of the 'hospital' during the war, and it is one of the easiest to identify, even when not named, having very distinctive windows - I'll look one out and post it.

I don't know if this is the building Terry worked in, or whether it also expanded into others nearby.

Sue

This is an interior of King George military hospital in 1919. There are so many different shots around, that they must have had very regular photo-calls. The windows, ceiling and glass partition walls seem to figure heavily in them all and makes for easy identification.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

The following list identifies hospitals used as places of Internment in WW1 and is compiled from a 1919 list of places of Internment (inc. POWs)

Hospitals Listed as places of Internment for POWs & Internees (as at 1919)

Abbassia Hospital Egypt

Addington Park Hospital

(Addington Park War Hospital, Croydon)

Aldershot Isolation Hospital

3rd British General Hospital, Basra

Bedford Military Hospital

Bethnal Green Military Hospital

(Cambridge Rd, Bethnal Green)

Birmingham Hospital

(1st Southern General Hospital, Edgbaston)

Brighton General Hospital

(2nd Eastern General Hospital, Brighton)

9th British Red Cross Hospital France

(L Havre)

Cambridge Hospital, Aldershot

Cambridge Military Hospital, Cambridge

Cardiff 3rd Western General Hospital

Catterick Military Hospital

Chelsea Hospital

(2nd London General Hospital, St Marks College)

Chisledon Military Hospital

City of London Military Hospital

(42 Clifden Rd, Homerton)

Colaba War Hospital

(India)

Connaught Hospital

(Aldershot)

Crowthorne War Hospital

(Crowthorne, Berks - formerly known as Broadmoor Military Hospital)

Cumballa War Hospital

(India)

Dartford War Hospital

(Kent)

Deal Royal Marine Infirmary

Deolali 34th general Hospital

(India)

Deolali 44th general Hospital

(India)

Devonport Military Hospital

Dover Military Hospital

Dykebar War Hospital

(Paisley)

East Leeds War Hospital

(Harehills Road, Leeds)

Edinburgh Castle Hospital

(Castle Military Hospital)

Egypt - Red Crescent Hospital

(Cairo)

Falmouth Military Hospital

Fargo Rolleston Military Hospital

(Salisbury)

Fulham Military Hospital

St Dunstan's Road, Hammersmith

German Hospital Dalston

Glasgow 3rd Scottish General Hospital

Glasgow 4th Scottish General Hospital

Hammersmith Military Hospital

Duncane Rd Shepherds Bush

India - Indian Troops War Hospital

(Poona)

India - Indian Troops War Hospital

(Marine Lines, Bombay)

India - Victoria War Hospital

(Bombay)

Ipswich Military Hospital

(Ipswich)

King Georges Hospital

(Stamford Street, London)

King George V Hospital

(Dublin)

Kinmel Park Military Hospital

(Denbigh)

Leicester Hospital

(No. 5 Northern General Hospital)

Lewisham Military Hospital

Lincoln Military Hospital

(No. 4 Northern General Hospital)

Liverpool Hospital

(1st Western General Hospital, Fazakerley)

Magdalen Military Camp Hospital

(Winchester)

Manchester Hospital

(Nell Lane Militayr Hospital, West Didsbury)

Mesopotamia - 8th Indian General Hospital

(Tanooma, Basra)

Mile End Military Hospital

(Bancroft Road)

Millbank Hospital

(Queen Alexandra Hospital, Grosvenor Road)

Napsbury War Hospital

(St Albans)

Netley Hospital

(Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley)

Newcastle Hospital

(!st Northern General Hospital, Newcastle)

Newport Hospital

(3rd Western General Hospital, Newport)

Norfolk War Hospital

(Thorpe)

Norton Barracks Military Hospital

(Worcester)

Oswestry P/W Hospital

(Park Hall Camp, Oswestry)

Oswestry Park Hall Hospital

Portsmouth Hospital

(5th Southern General Hospital)

Purfleet Military Hospital

(Purfleet)

P/W Hospital, Belmont

(Belmont, near Sutton, Surrey)

P/W Hospital, Brocton

(Brocton Camp, Staffs)

Richmond Military Hospital

(Grove Road, Richmond)

Sheffield Hospital

(3rd Northen General Hospital)

South African General Hospital

(1st South African General Hospital, France)

Stobs P/W Hospital

(Stobs, Hawick, Roxburgh)

Sutton Veny Military Hospital

(Wilts)

Taplow Canadian Hospital

(Taplow)

Tooting Military Hospital

(Church Lane, Tooting)

Wandsworth Hospital

(3rd London General Hospital, Wandsworth)

Woolwich Hospital

(Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich)

Chris

list of the various hospitals treating military cases in the united kingdom

See List of the Various Hospitals Treating Military Cases in the United Kingdom, HMSO, 1917

Can't find it through internet book searches; all I have is the title page taken from the one copy I've seen.

Race you for the next copy on eBay!

Chris

:D

One that I've not seen on the list yet is Morden Grange Hospital, Central Road, Morden, Surrey, now a Grade 2 listed building. It was certainly in use as a military hospital in August 1917 - I have the death certificate of a soldier who died there.

Thanks to Heritage Plus, Doogal, and Gavin H for helping me to locate it.

Roy

Here (I hope) is a photo of the main ward in 4th Northern General Hospital, taken, I think, in 1917. The room was the boarders' dorm in Lincoln Schhol, and is now the library of Lincoln Christ's Hospital School.

I'm always moved by the boy on the left who has lost a leg, and the man on the right, who is lost in some other world

Graham

(I seem to have added a very small version, which expands to not many pixels - try again another time!)

Small_4th_Northern__WinCE_.bmp

Abbots Ripton, Huntingdonshire

Home of the 2nd Baron De Ramsay, 5 miles north of Huntingdon. During the Great War the hall was used as an auxiliary home hospital.

The hall is now lived in by the current Lord De Ramsay and open to visitors.

Andy

Ampthill Park, Bedfordshire

About 8 miles south of Bedford, Once the house of Lord Odoe William Russel then passing on to his wodow the former Lady Emily Villers. The house during the great war became a training ground for military training. Lady Emily and her daughters ran the house as a military hospital and 8,369 patients were treated of whom 3.545 were returned to the front.

Andy

Chicksand Priory, Bedfordshire.

The house is a couple of miles west of Shefford and home of the Osborn family. During the Great War it was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital and later was taken over by the United States Air Force.

Andy

Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire.

The home of the Dukes of Bedford. During the Great War a temporary ward for wounded soldiers was established at the Abbey in which Adeline, the then Duchess of Bedford took an active part in running.

Andy

Wrest Park, Bedfordshire.

Six miles south east of Ampthill. The house was visited by the Grenfell family including Billy and Julian and visited by King Edward VII.

During the war the house became a convalescent hospital and home.

Andy

Clivden, Bucks.

The House of the Astors, overlooks the Thames between Maidenhead and Windsor. A temporary hospital for 600 was built on the site of the tennis courts and became known as the Duchess of Connaughts Canadian Red Cross Hospital. By the end of the war no fewer than 23,000 patients had been treated. The Astors completely financed the Hospital giving the Red Cross £250,000.

Andy

Dalmeny House,Edinburgh, Scotland

Owned by the Earl of Rosebery. On the outbreak of war he turned Dalmeny House into an Auxiliary Hospital.

Andy

Sherborne Castle, Dorset

During the Great War a wing of this castle was used as a military hospital and was named as the Castle Hospital.

Andy

I would like to add two hospitals to the list if possible. The hospitals were Fern Hill and Acre Mill both situated in a little village called Stacksteads in Bacup Lancashire. Between the two they could accomodate 75 patients. According to information available on Fern Hill ( nothing seems to be available for Acre Mill ) 738 men passed through the doors of Fern Hill with no fatalities.

post-4696-1116187625.jpg

Blackmore House, Hampshire.

Just north of Petersfield, house of the Palmer Family.

During the war it was used as an Auxiliary Home Hospital.

Andy