Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Guest Simon Bull

The recent reference to Bristol Mental Hospital being a Great War army hospital reinforced my impression that a number of mental hospitals seem to have been taken over for the use of Great War casualties. What happened to the unfortunate patients of the hospitals - where they just turned out on to the streets? I suspect that the needs of mental patients would have been seen as a relatively low priority compared to today.

Guest Hangleton

Thorncombe Military Hospital, Bramley, Surrey. The house of Colonel Fisher-Rowe who was killed.

I have a magazine article about it from 1915 if anyone is interested.

A close up of the men outside the Red Cross hospital at Hawkhurst, Kent. Unfortunately, it's not possible to identify any of the units of the men recuperating here.

Gary

post-34-1098139256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A lady emailed this postcard to me muster road hospital Nottingham

Sandra

post-34-1099130090.jpg

Want a Scottish one ?

Soldier's Record (WO339/62409) re James Anderson Glover (Capt KOSB) includes a letter from Whitehall, dated April 1918, re Medical Examination Board declaring him unfit for any further service. His address is cited as Leith War Hospital, Seafield, Edinburgh. I have found as yet no further info on this - anyone come across it let me know please.

Sorry for asking again. But has any one heard of

THE HOME OF RECOVERY

Barrow Upon Soar

Leicester.

I was told it could have been The UNION WORKHOUSE & part of it used as a Hospital Does any one know. And why if someone was so sick would they have been sent To leicester. From Kennington London. One of my relations died there in 1919

Thank sandra

• 2 weeks later...

The Providence Hospital, St Helens (behind Town Hall) was used for WW1 casualties. The local press printed interviews with quite a few of them. I'll take a pic of what's left of the building.

Cheers,

S

Hello

I am looking for photographs of the Convalescent Hospital in Epsom, Surrey circa 1918-1919. Anybody have some? Thanks

Lloyds Hospital

I have seen mention of a WW1 Nurse 'going to Lloyds Hospital' and wonder if anyone could give a location for it, please.

Whether it was actually a single 'Lloyd's Hospital' or there was a certain type of establishment referred to as 'Lloyds Hospitals' I don't know, but hope that someone can give an answer.

Thank you.

The top picture shows in the foreground Old Court, Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts. Used as a War Hospital it had been from 1835 the Bradford Union Workhouse. Buildings date from 1792 and are believed to have been used by the nearby cloth factory. As can be seen and recognized from the town's name it sits on the banks of the River Avon.

The lower picture shows the barge 'Bittern which was used for patients convalescing.

Hi my great Uncle Richard Ridge 85146 RFA was in Raddon Court Red Cross Hospital, Latchford, Warrington.

According to his military record he had 70% disability following gun shot wounds.

His Military Medal was presented to him at the hospital 28/11/18

I have been unable to find any record of how he was injured or his citation for MM, gazetted 23/02/18

Hi,

the two wings of Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool were known as Highfield Military Hospital. My grandmother was a nurse there.

Dave

my great great auntie Emily Buckley worked in Lake Hospital Ashton under Lyne.

I have got her autograph book & some of the names who signed it are as follows.

Florence E Hall 23.12.1915

J H Locke dewsbury28.01.1918

K Stridgen 27.04.1917

bertha Ibbotson 23.07.1917

R Browning 26.12.1915

S Drinkwater 3.2.1916

Sgt Kennedy 1st Irish Guards 2.11.1916

A Howaitt 10.7.1918

m Lewis 26.12.1916

H Hegunbotham 03.09.1917

Jack Sourbutts 16.9.1918

l johnson 23.7.1917

J J Gibbs 25.1.1918

A Deuton OLdhouse 30.1.1918

Mr Asquith prime minister 14.10.1916

L Johnson 23.7.1917

some were nurses others were patients.

any photo's or further info would be greatly recieved

berni

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any information regarding the location of a Red Cross Hospital in Malta during the War certainly in existence in 1915? It was established in a military camp possibly for Australians. Not much to go on but it may sound familiar?

Tonym

Tonym

Most of the Aussie service records I've come across just say "to hospital - Malta" - the only names I've found mentioned are "St George's Hospital, Malta" & "St Andrew's Hospital, Malta" - both of these in 1915. But I'll keep a look out.

Cheers, Frev.

To add to the list:

My Great Uncle died at the 1st Australian Auxillary Hospital at Harefield Park (pnuemonia, 10/12/18)

112 Australian soldiers who died here are buried at the Harefield (St Mary) Churchyard. [there used to be a great website for the Harefield Parish - but it's presently undergoing re-development]

A few others I've come across (for my Aussie soldiers):

2nd Auxillary Hospital, Southall

3rd Auxillary Hospital, Dartford

5th Australian Auxillary Hospital, Digswell House, Welwyn

1st A.D. Hospital, Bulford

2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester

3rd Western General Hospital, Cardiff

3rd Southern General Hospital, Oxford

Queen Mary's Hospital, Whalley

Quex Park Auxillary Hospital, Kent

Military Hospital, Boscombe

Shorncliffe Military Hospital

Ontario Military Hospital

Woodcoat Park Convalescent Hospital

I have a group of letters concerning Captain Angus U. Meikle, MC, CFA who was wounded in late 1918. The letterhead of most of these letters if for the "John Leigh Memorial Hospital (Auxiliary Military)" at Altrincham. Interestingly the first couple of letters to his mother, were, because of his wounds, written by hospital personnel and two of these are signed: "Norah Leigh, O/C."

Dick Flory

Hi,

I have here a letter from a Belgian Officer (written in Flemish) dated 18/10/18, who was in a hospital in the U.K. with a wound at his knee.

kind regards

danny

post-34-1102064872.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

King's College Hospital, Herne Hill became 4th London General Hospital. A foot bridge was built over the railway from the hospital to Ruskin Park which became an Annexe of the hospital with hutted accommodation for convalescent soldiers. St. Saviour's Church became a club for soldier's and sailor's wives and avenue for concrts for the patients from King's.

King's College Hospital, Herne Hill became 4th London General Hospital. A foot bridge was built over the railway from the hospital to Ruskin Park which became an Annexe of the hospital with hutted accommodation for convalescent soldiers. St. Saviour's Church became a club for soldier's and sailor's wives and avenue for concrts for the patients from King's.

Your reference to King's College Hospital, actually in Denmark Hill, as 4th London General Hospital should also include The Maudsley Hospital on the opposite side of Denmark Hill that was also part of 4th London General R.A.M.C.(T) Hospital.

Tonym

I read recently that Joseph Chamberlain’s old house Highbury Hall, at Moor Green, Birmingham was used as an annexe to the First Southern General Hospital for the rehabilitation of disabled ex-servicemen.

Can anyone help with more information on hospitals and rehab centres in the Midlands?

Thanks

Ray

I have also read that the old District Hospital in Edward Street, West Bromwich, was used to treat wounded soldiers.

There used to be a portrait of a soldier above a bed in one of the wards.

Thanks

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Hillsborough Auxiliary Hospital, Harlow, Essex.

Hillsborough Red Cross Hospital in Churchgate Street, Harlow had beds for twenty-two patients and its own operating theatre. The neighbouring house, the Meadhams was also converted for medical use. The hospitals were staffed by Voluntary Aid Detachment and trained Red Cross Nurses, supervised by the medical officer, Dr Jagger. The first wounded arrived on 21st November 1914.

My grandmother Eva Burton was awarded the Royal Red Cross, Class 2, also called Associate Royal Red Cross (ARRC) for her service there as a nursing member of Voluntary Aid Detachment No. 30, County of Essex.

Sister Mrs Edith Ellen RUSHWORTH (née MELLAND-SMITH) was matron. She received ARRC in May 1918. Her husband Captain Tom RUSHWORTH (7th Bn. London Regiment), died aged 35 on 16 Sep 1916 at High Wood, France.

Edited by NedRutland