Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Fort Pitt Military Hospital, Chatham.

Originally started as a fort to protect Chatham in 1805 and converted to a military hospital in 1828. The school of medicine was established here by Florence Nightingale.

The hospital was closed sometime after WW1 and is now marked by Fort Pitt Grammar School

Michael (C18 fort anorak aswell) Mills

No:73 Auxilliary Hospital, Woolwich

Cooks supplied by Quewn Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps(QMAAC) formerly WAAC

Don't know if this one has been mentioned - from CWGC entry:

ROCHDALE CEMETERY, on the Bury road, belongs to the Corporation. It was opened in 1855, and it covers nearly 33 acres. It contains 73 scattered War Graves, and a War Cross is erected near the Chapel, facing the main drive. The Dearnley (War) Hospital, with 800 beds, was established in the Rochdale Poor Law Hospital building. ROYTON URBAN DISTRICT.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Don't know if anybody has mentioned this one yet. St Dunstan's Hospital for Blind Ex-Servicemen. Founded in 1915 in London's Regent's Park. The website is : St Dunstan's. Apparently my mother-in-law's grandad was blinded in WW1 and was sent there for rehabilitation. Just starting to look into it myself.

Chris,

for the list being prepared.

EDINBURGH

Craiglockhart Hospital ( now Napier University) of Sassoon and Owen fame. Also the following extracted from CWGC may be helpful.

During the First World War, Edinburgh was headquarters to the 4th,5th,6th and 9th Battalions of the Royal Scots, with the 7th Battalion ( Gretna disaster )at Leith. The 2nd Scottish General Hospital (1,000 beds) occupied Craigleith Poorhouse, the Edinburgh War Hospital (2,600 beds) was in the Asylum buildings at Bangour and the Leith War Hospital (585 beds) in the infirmary at Leith. The port of Leith was used by hospital ships from north Russia and about 4,500 officers and men passed through it.

(The Leith Hospital was closed down amid a lot of public anger and converted to high-cost flats.)

Aye

Malcolm

And Another. B)

Darlington Workhouse.

The first union workhouse (built 1804) was situated in Lead Yard, Darlington, but in 1871 a new building, to which records relate, was erected in Yarm Road, Darlington at a cost of £15,000. This was run by the Board of Guardians until 1930 and by the Public Assistance Committee of Darlington County Borough until 1948. The building was then renamed Easthaven Hostel and was used as a reception centre for the homeless and a geriatric unit until it closed in 1974. During the First World War the hospital was used as a military hospital, the first poor law institution in England to be used as such.

Regards

Peter.

Guest adethebeak

Hi

As a new member of the group I thought I could add a little (possibly new) information to this discussion.

Among the facilities in Kent are there that have unusual facets. Queen Mary's in Sidcup (also known as Queen's, Frognal) was a pioneering centre for facial plastic surgery and treated some 5000 service personnel between 1917 and 1925. The modern hospital has retained and cares for a substantial archive of this work.

The Lower Southern Hospital in Dartford, later called the Dartford War Hospital, was taken over by the Government and used for the treatment of German prisoners. Those who died at the hospital are believed to have been buried in the grounds.

Finally, Orchard Hospital, near the Joyce Green Aerodrome, was used solely for the treatment of Australian troops between 1915-1919.

Regards

Ade

Addington Park Hospital near Croydon in Surrey cared for military fever cases, particularly enteric fever, which I think is commonly known as gaol/jail fever.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

Here are three for you:

1. St Marys' Hospital, Stannington, Northumberland. Newly built in 1914 as an asylum and taken over as a military hospital before even being used for that purpose.

2. Dunston Hill Hospital in Gateshead. I think "lent" by the Carr-Ellison family and developed as a hospital. This continued for many years (mid 1960s' I think) to treat war pensioners under the auspices of the Ministry of Pensions, not the NHS. Only becoming an NHS hospital after that time.

3. Sunderland General Hospital (former workhouse) had "temporary wards built for war casulaties. These were only demolished two years ago.

Regards

Peter

I have a number of postcard that show some of the hospitals( and there complexes) in England during WW1. They are from my Great Aunt (Grace lilly) to her sister (Frances Lilly) and brother(Percy Lilly, who died 28.8.1917 aged 21:RFA 3rd South Midland BgBuried at Gwalia Cem). She origionated from Biringham but seemed to move around hospitals during the Great war.

My Great Aunt, whom i do remember was a nurse as was her sister , I also have a photo of an Austrian POW Hosp where my Grandfather was imprisoned. I am interested in the hospital/medical side of the war through a line of nursing that has been in my family for many yrs.

Woburn Abbey was also used as a hospital for NCOs and Other Ranks.

There is a lovely memorial in Woburn (unfortunatly I don't have the picture on disc yet, I'll post it when I do) refering to the Hospital.

The wording on the tablet is:

In Memory of sixteen Non-Commissioned officers and Men who died in the WOBURN MILITARY HOSPITAL 1914-1920.

This tablet is erected by Mary, wife of Herbrand, XI Duke of Bedford K.G.

Private T. Watson Scottish Rifles 1915

Private J. Smith 5th Canadian Regiment 1915

Gunner P O'Donovan Royal Garrison Artillery 1915

Private H. Brown 5th Canadian Regiment 1916

Lance Corporal T. Turnbull 5th Canadian Regiment 1916

Private J. Green Private King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1916

Sergeant E. F. Peachy Suffolk Regiment 1916

Private W. Mellors Lincolnshire Regiment 1916

Private A. Prosser King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1916

Private T. Chaney East Lancashire Regiment 1916

Private J. Quirk Leinster Regiment 1916

Rifleman T. Bramall King's Royal Rifle Corps 1916

Private A. Wright Sherwood Foresters 1917

Private J. Gold Gordon Highlanders 1917

Private W. Whitehead West Yorkshire Regiment 1917

Private T. Flew Devonshire Regiment 1917

Also in the Memory of Johannes Zacherias Truter F. R. C. S. Edin: of Wellington, South Africa. Assistant Surgeon to the Hospital, who died at Woburn Abbey 15th December 1918.

And to the Memory of Constance Annie Dean of Napier, New Zealand. A member of the Nursing Staff who died at Woburn Abbey 4th December 1918.

Both in the discharge of their duties.

And you to whom it was not given

To die upon the foughten field.

Yes, you full equally have striven

For you your lives did yield

As nobly as the blazing mouth of Hell.

Not in the wild rush of the fight

God saw it meet for you to die

Yet he who keeps his armour bright

His Lord doth magnify

You answered equally the call

And he who gives himself gives all.

On the outbreak of the Great War in August 1914, a Military Hospital containing 102 beds was equipped at Woburn Abbey by Mary, Duchess of Bedford, and maintained by her for six years. In 1917 the Hospital was appointed one of the Special Surgical Military Hospitals. Convoys of wounded were received direct from France, and 2453 Non-Commissioned Officers and Men passed through the Hospital.

After spending some time at no 8 Gen Hosp, Rouen from March 1918, my great uncle was repatriated and was succesively at

Manchester Hospital

Worsely Hall

Eaton Hall

Hawarden Castle

I think the latter 2 were described as 'officers convalescent homes'

I also know that my grandfather ended up (in 1919) at a similar establishment at Banavie

• 1 month later...

Chris

An excellent idea to creaet a database of UK hospitals. :)

Just one more for your list.

Belton Park Military Hospital, Grantham, Lincs

I don't know what kind of casualties it took. It may have taken sick from the Machine Gun Corps Depot, which was there.

I know it took my great uncle, Lt Leslie Spinney RFC, who was a training instructor at nearby Harlaxton aerodrome in Nov 1918. He had influenza.

Tim

Chris,

Kettering Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) Hostpital in Northamptonshire is another one to add to the list.

My great Uncle Luther Paxton (Green Howards) was wounded and nursed there in 1915. His brother 2917 Sgt. Thomas Paxton also served with the Green Howards.

By the way, I have a collection of about 60 photographs of the hospital, soldiers, nurses etc. from the time Luther Paxton spent at Kettering VAD and a "Book of Efforts" containing drawings, paintings, poems etc. as well as some pages with detail names of nurses & orderlies as well as various wounded soldiers, units and where wounded etc.

regards,

Peter.

John Travers Cornwell, VC, aged 16, formerly of HMS Chester died of wounds received at the battle of Jutland in Grimsby Hospital on 2/6/1916.

'Boy' Cornwell was the youngest VC winner during the war, the youngest ever if I'm not mistaken. The Lady Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital (formerly Grimsby general) still has a ward named after him with a commemoration plaque.

I am not sure if any of these have been mentioned already:

Park Howard Military Hospital - Llanelli

Plas Trescawen, Anglesey.

Whitecross Hospital, Warrington.

• 2 weeks later...

I Have the following:-Military hospitals in the United Kingdom

The flow of casualties from the various theatres of war soon overwhelmed the existing medical facilities in the United Kingdom, just as it did the recently established bases in France and Flanders. Many civilian hospitals and large buildings were turned over to military use. This listing is by no means complete, but it is probably the most comprehensive single list of the medical facilities of 1914-1918 available.

Principal military hospitals established in hutted camps

Territorial Force General Hospitals

Asylums taken over as Military Hospitals

Military Mental Hospitals

Fitting Hospitals for limbless soldiers

Military convalescent hospitals

Neurological hospitals

Orthopedic hospitals

Cardiac hospitals

Typhoid hospitals

Venereal Disease hospitals

Principal military hospitals established in hutted camps

Location Capacity (Beds)

Thetford 120

Blandford 204

Codford 100

Fargo 1037

Fovant 449

Sutton Veny 938

Swanage 119

Wareham 45

Haxely Down, Winchester 105

Magdalen Camp 252

Wool (Bovington) 288

Ripon 670

Grantham 620

Clipstone Camp 356

Catterick 750

Cannock Chase 594

Cromarty 226

Oswestry 866

Kinmel Park 890

Prees Heath 609

TF General Hospitals

Note: an number of Auxiliary Hospitals were attached to these General Hospitals, which are not listed below.

Command (or District in case of London) Name (all General Hospital after number and command) Location Capacity (Officer Beds) Capacity (Other Ranks Beds)

Eastern 1st Eastern Cambridge 151 1191

Eastern 2nd Eastern Brighton 98 1190

London 1st London Camberwell 88 852

London 2nd London Chelsea 66 995

London 3rd London Wandsworth 806 224

London 4th London Denmark Hill 300 1625

London 5th London St Thomas's 94 568

Northern 1st Northern Newcastle 104 1420

Northern 2nd Northern Leeds 60 2039

Northern 3rd Northern Sheffield 57 1360

Northern 4th Northern Lincoln 41 1126

Northern 5th Northern Leicester 111 2487

Scottish 1st Scottish Aberdeen 62 1297

Scottish 2nd Scottish Edinburgh 28 1129

Scottish 3rd Scottish Glasgow 70 1629

Scottiah 4th Scottish Stobhill 1334

Southern 1st Southern Birmingham 130 2357

Southern 2nd Southern Bristol 200 1350

Southern 3rd Southern Oxford 336 1210

Southern 4th Southern Plymouth 193 1029

Southern 5th Southern Portsmouth 48 989

Southern 2/1st Southern Birmingham 1450

Western 1st Western Fazakerly 153 4204 or 4244 ?

Western 2nd Western Manchester 546 5772

Western 3rd Western Cardiff 38 2626

Asylums taken over as military hospitals

Location Peacetime Name Military Name

Gosforth Newcastle-upon-Tyne City Asylum Northumberland War Hospital

Leeds Leeds Union Infirmary East Leeds War Hospital

Wadsley West Riding of Yorkshire Asylum Wharncliffe War Hospital

Winwick Lancashire County Asylum Lord Derby War Hospital

Rubery Hill Birmingham City Asylum 1st Birmingham War Hospital

Hollymoor Birmingham City Asylum 2nd Birmingham War Hospital

Thorpe Norfolk County Asylum Norfolk War Hospital

Whitchurch Cardiff City Asylum Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital

Chichester West Sussex County Asylum Graylingwell War Hospital

Fishponds Bristol County and City Asylum Beaufort War Hospital

Horton, Epsom London County Asylum, Horton Horton (County of London) War Hospital

Manor, Epsom London County Asylum, Manor Manor (County of London) War Hospital

Napsbury, St Albans Middlesex County Asylum, Napsbury Napsbury War Hsopital

Wandsworth, near Tooting Middlesex County Asylum, Wandsworth Springfield War Hospital

Denmark Hill Maudsley Memorial Hospital Maudsley Neurological Hospital

Park Prewett Hampshire 2nd County Asylum 4th Canadian General Hospital

Whalley Whalley Asylum Queen Mary's Military Hospital

Whittingham, near Preston Lancashire County Asylum Whittingham Military Hospital

Northampton Northamptonshire County Asylum Northamptonshire War Hospital

Maghull, Liverpool Moss Side State Institution Red Cross Military Hospital, Moss Side

Stannington Gateshead County Borough Asylum Gateshead War Hospital

Radcliffe-on-Trent Nottingham County Asylum Notts County War Hospital

Ewell, Surrey The Ewell Colony Ewell (County of London) War Hospital

Littlemore Oxford County Asylum Ashurst War Hospital

Edinburgh Edinburgh District Asylum Edinburgh War Hospital

Perth Perth District Asylum Murthly War Hospital

Paisley Renfrew District Asylum Dykebar War Hospital

Belfast Belfast District Lunatic Asylum Belfast War Hospital

Dublin Richmond District Asylum Richmond War Hospital

Military Mental Hospitals

Name Pre-war use Total Beds Total Beds for Mental Cases Date first used for Mental cases Date of Closure

Off OR Off OR

D Block, Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley Military Mental Hospital 3 121 3 121

Co of Middlesex War Hospital, Napsbury Middlesex County Asylum 1600 350 Sep 15 1 Aug 19

Special Hospital for Officers, Latchmere, Ham Common Private House 51 51 Nov 15 Still open

Notts County War Hospital, Radcliffe-on-Trent Notts County Asylum 540 540 25 Jul 18 30 Aug 19

Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital, Whitchurch, Glam Cardiff City Asylum 61 839 14 416 Sep 17 31 Dec 19

Lord Derby War Hospital, Warrington Lancs County Asylum 3313 1000 Jun 16 Still Open

Belfast War Hospital Civil Asylum 8 342 8 342 Jul 17 5 Dec 19

Richmond War Hospital, Dublin Section of Richmond Asylum 32 32 16 Jun 16 31 Dec 19

Dykebar War Hospital, Paisley Civil Asylum 500 500 Feb 16 15 Oct 19

Murthly War Hospital Civil Asylum 350 350 27 Jan 17 1 Mar 19

Fitting hospitals for limbless soldiers

Soldiers domiciled in: Fitting Hospital to which Admitted No Of Beds

West of Scotland, Cumberlans, Westmoreland, Northumberland & Durham Princess Louise Scottish Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Erskine House, Glasgow 400

East Of Scotland Edenhall East of Scotland Limbless Hospital, Musselburgh 100

Ireland, except Ulster Duke of Connaught's Auxiliary Hospital (formerly located in Princess Patricia Hospital, Bray), Bray, Wicklow 50

Ulster Ulster Volunteer Force Hospital, Belfast 50

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Notts and Rutlandshire 2nd Northern General Hospital, Leeds 126

Cheshire and the County Of Lancs, excluding Manchester Alder Hey Hospital Orthopedic Hospital 200

Section of above, Blackmore 100

Derbyshire, Staffs and Manchester Lancaster House Auxiliary Hospital (affiliated to 2nd Western General Hospital), Manchester 150

Warwickshire, Worcs, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Oxfordshire 2/1st Southern General Hospital, Birmingham (Uffculme) 150

Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset VAD Hospital, Chard 46

Wales, Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Salop Prince of Wales Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers, Cardiff 66

Hampshire RVH, Netley 30

London and all other areas Charterhouse Military Hospital, London 225

Queen Mary's Convalescent Hospital, Roehampton 900

Paddington Military Hospital 300

Military Convalescent Hospitals

Note: these establishments did not have the usual civilian meaning of convalescence; they were formed from March 1915 onward to keep recovering soldiers under military control.

Location Opened Remarks Allocation as at Apr 16

Easbourne Summerdown Camp 8 Apr 15 Hutted military camp Eastern and Aldershot Commands

Dartford Orchard Hospital 24 May 15 Infectious diseases hospital taken over from Metropolitan Asylum Board London District

Epsom Woodcote Park 24 Jun 15 Southern Command

Blackpool Clifton Park King's Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital Western Command, men whose homes are in Lancashire or who belong to Lancashire regts from any command

Belfast Holywood Irish Command, men whose homes are in Ireland or who belong to Irish regts from any command

Alnwick Northern and Scottish Commands, men whose homes were in Scotland or who belonged to Scottish regts from any command

Neurological Hospitals

From May 1915 neurological sections were established in such TF General Hospitals as were considered suitable - from April 1916 they were used for cases requiring special but not prolonged treatment.

Location Name/Wartime Name Remarks

Queens Sq, WC National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic Prewar civilian institutions treating some military cases by Nov 14. From Apr 16 used for cases requiring special but not prolonged treatment. By Jun 18 section of the Maudley Clearing Hospital when for OR.

Maida Vale, W The Hospital foe Epilepsy and Paralysis, Prewar civilian institutions treating some military cases by Nov 14. From Apr 16 used for cases requiring special but not prolonged treatment. By Jun 18 section of the Maudley Clearing Hospital when for OR.

Welbeck St, W West End Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System Prewar civilian institutions treating some military cases by Nov 14. From Apr 16 used for cases requiring special but not prolonged treatment. By Jun 18 section of the Maudley Clearing Hospital when for OR.

Moss Side State Institution Red Cross Military Hospital, Maghull First case admitted 21 Dec 14. Initially 300 beds, later 500 and a section of 35 beds for officers at Quarry Brook House nearby. From Apr 16 used for severe or protracted cases

Kensington 10 Palace Green. Special Hospital for Officers Opened Jan 15. For officer suffering from functional neurosis, traumatic neurasthenia and the milder osychoses. By Jun 18 '10 and 11 Palace Green'.

Netley Royal Victoria Hospital Neurological section established by early 15 - acted as clearing hospital for these cases.

4th London General Hospital later Maudsley Neurological Clearing Hospital Neurological section established by early 15 - acted as clearing hospital for these cases. By Jun 18 known as Maudsley Neurological Clearing Hospital.

County of Middlesex Asylum, Wandsworth Springfield War Hospital Springfield was detached block of main asylum. From Apr 16 used for severe or protracted cases

Royal Victoria Hospital, Edinburgh Cases identified in other hospitals in Scotland (rather than having been processed through the clearing system)

King George V Hospital, Dublin Cases identified in other hospitals in Ireland (rather than having been processed through the clearing system)

Nannau, Dolgelly Officers' Hospital Operating by Jun 18

Blackpool Neurological Section, King's Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital Operating by Jun 18. For officers

Edinburgh Craiglockhart War Hospital Operating by Jun 18. For officers

Bradford Abram Peel Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Epsom Ewell (Co. of London) War Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Birmingham Monyhull Section, 1st Southern General Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Fife Glen Lomond War Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Perthshire Dunblane War Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Newton Abbot Seale Haye Neurological Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.. Not clear whether this is prewar name or not

Stannington, Newcastle Gateshead War Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Plymouth Neurological Section, 4th Southern General Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Stockport Brinnington Neurological Section, 2nd Western General Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Near Worthing East Preston Military Hospital For OR - operational by Jun 18.

Oulton Hall Hospital for Officers Opened in 1918 - 71 beds

Oxford Ashhurst War Hospital, Littlemore Opened in 1918 -580 beds

Manchester Section of Nell Lane Military Hospital, West Didsbury Opened in 1918

Orthopaedic Hospitals

Special arrangements for orthopedic cases were introduced from 1 March 1915.

Location Name Remarks

234 Great Portland St Royal National Orthopedic Hospital From Mar 15 treated cases from London District and Eastern Command

Liverpool Alder Hey Auxiliary Military Hospital From Mar 15 treated all cases not sent to Gt Portland St

Shepherds Bush Military Orthopedic Hospital Opened Mar 16, responsibility passed to Min of Pensions Jul 19

Edmonton Special Military Surgical Hospital (and Strand Extension) Still in War Office hands in Jul 20

Netley Special Military Surgical Section (of RVH, Netley) Still in WO hands in Jul 20

Bangour Special Military Surgical Section, Edinburgh War Hospital Still in WO hands in Jul 20

Aldershot Special Military Surgical Section, Cambridge Hospital (Duke of Cambridge's Hospital?) Still in WO hands in Jul 20

Cardiac Hospitals

Location Name Remarks

London University College Hospital 20 beds reserved for military heart cases, probably from late '14.

Westmoreland Street, W National Hospital for Diseases of the Heart Number of beds offered for military cases in Dec 15

Hampstead Military Hospital Opened Mar 16 - ultimately 232 patients. In Dec 17 converted to hospital for cases from RFC, and heart cases to Colchester

Colchester Sobroan Barracks Military Hospital Opened when Hanpstead converted - ultimately 672 beds. Closed Aug 19. Under Eastern Command. Associated convalescent hospital - 200 beds at Summerdown from Oct 18

Leeds Leeds General Hospital (part) (Section of) East Leeds War Hospital Operational from Nov 18 with 50 beds. Closed Aug 19, cardiac centre then affiliated with Special Military Surgical Hospital, Leeds. Under Northern Command. Associated convalescent hospital - 572 beds at Killingbeck Military Hospital (another section of East Leeds War Hospital). Closed in Jun 19, cases to East Leeds War Hospital until that closed in Aug 20

Liverpool (Netherfield Road section of) 1st Western General Hospital Opened Aug 18 - 70 beds. Closed in May 18. Centre transferred to Toxteth Park Military Hospital, which closed in Aug 18, then to Queen Mary's Hospital, Whalley. Associated convalescent hospital - Military Hospital, Whittingham, Preston - 500 beds. Closed Apr 19, cases to King's Military Convalescent Hospital, Blackpool until Jun 19, then convalescent cases to Whalley

Manchester 'special hospital functioning in Manchester for treating heart cases' - transferred to Liverpool Cardiac Centre

Typhoid Hospitals

Location Name Remarks

Croydon Addington Park/Addington Park War Hospital Opened early 15 in Addington Palace. Initially 300 patients, expanded by huts to 650. In Jul 15 decided to establish a Command Depot exclusively for enteric cases, hutted camp of 1000 beds erected 'in vicinity of Addington Park'.

Woldingham , Surrey Enteric Depot Opened sometime after Jan 16

Warlingham, Surrey Enteric Depot Opened sometime after Jan 16

Shirley 'near Addington Park' Enteric Depot Opened Mar 17

Venereal Disease Hospitals

Location Officers ORs Remarks

Robroyston War Hospital 50 500

Cherryhinton 802 Opened sometime in 1916

Shaffords 106 Hutted camp - used for VD cases from Aug 17.

Hemel Hempsted (Gadebridge) 800 Former RFA training camp, taken over in Jul 17. Converted to 350 bed officers' hospital after Armistice

Warlingham 750

New Bridge St, Manchester 530 An old workhouse and boys school, taken over sometime in 1916

Birtles, Chelford 50 Opened Dec 17

Spike Island 50 450

Devonport (Egg Buckland) 30 180

Chiseldon 50 800 Half of existing hutted camp converted to venereal hospital of some 400 beds to make up for accommodation at Bulford transferred to Australians i.e. sometime after Nov 16. Beds for 100 more serious cases in Chiseldon Military Hospital at that time

Hilsea Military Hospital 47 430

Brighton Grove Hospital, Newcastle 48 552

Central Hospital, Lichfield 50 754 Hutted portion of Lichfield Barracks

Rochester Row Military Hospital 301

Tooting Grove 144 100

Aldershot (Connaught Hospital) 300

Stobs Opened after Armistice (Stobs is in Scotland)

Kinmel Park Venereal section opened after Armistice

Silkstone, near Barnsley Hutted camp - in process of being converted to officers' VD hospital when Armistice signed - not completed

Bulford Military Hospital Handed over to Australians ('owing to large demand') in Nov 16 and known as 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital.

Barnwell, near Cambridge Large VD hospital opened sometime in 1916 - no further details

Detention Barracks Those at Stafford, Woking, Stirling and Devizes used for soldiers undergoing detention or awaiting trial who required treatment for VD.

Military Hospital, Portobello, Dublin 187 beds as at May 16

A brilliant piece of work, John...you've cut and pasted the web page on the Long, Long Trail that was started by this very thread! :huh:

Edited by Chris_Baker

"Then and Now" postcards of the Palace Hotel, Buxton.

During WW1 it was the "Granville Canadian Special Hospital". This hospital was also established in another hotel "Buxton Hydro", which has been demolished. Sheltered accommodation for the elderly has been built on the site.

post-6-1069510831.jpg

I think that the "Granville Canadian Special Hospital" was probably the "Canadian Special Orthopoedic Hospital" (1917-19) , Buxton, Derbyshire. mentioned by Stuart Brown earlier in this thread.

From a "Google" search I see that the "Granville" had been located at Ramsgate, Kent, earlier in the war - "Granville Canadian Special Hospital (903 beds) ( 15 November 1915 – 18 October 1917 transferred to Buxton, Derbyshire)".

This information comes from a working list entitled " Kent 1914 - 1919 - Hospitals (Military, VAD, Civil, Special and Private) and other buildings used to accommodate military patients, or proposed for use."

This list can be found at: http://www.juroch.demon.co.uk/hospitals.htm