Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Found these in correspondence.

BLS Ward, Royal Albert Hospital, Woowich.

Bermondsey Military Hospiatl, Ladywell Road, Lewisham.

Malarial Dept. D Floor, 4th London General Hospital, Denmark Hill. SE 6

Drill Hall, 3rd Southern General Hospital, Oxford.

Hello,

Just looking through my great uncles service records and noticed he was wounded and admitted to Mile End Military Hospital London 12-22 August 1916 whilst serving with 2/7th Royal Warwicks

Regards

Alan

Alan

I was interested in your reference to Royal Albert Hospital, Woolwich. Having lived in The Borough of Woolwich for some forty years, up until the 1960s I never heard any reference to this hospital. So I have just googled the title and came up with - http://www.rblcalne.org.uk/page3.html - an article by a woman with her memories of a D-Day tour that contains a reference to The Royal Albert Army Hospital, Woolwich. I assume she is referring to WW2.

Does your correspondence give any indication of the date and location of this hospital. The only connection that I can make is The Royal Albert Dock, North Woolwich (North of the Thames). Woolwich ( South of the Thames) was a Garrison Town when I lived there but I never heard any old soldiers refer to the hospital. Not doubting your word just interested.

Cheers, Tony

Hi

Have you checked the Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine ?Wellcome Institute I guess you have but in case you haven't.

These people are very good and have lots of archives, one of the best descriptions I have on the medical side of the Great War is their Armistices 50 anniversary exhibition catalogue.

The collection was started in 1918 when the Imperial War Museum exhibition of the War at Crystal Place closed and the medical side was present to the Wellcome Institute.

They also are at the National Archives Wellcome National Archives

I'm sure a clever "internal" database enquiry on The Hospital Records Database will yield a substantial list of the Hospitals in use during the Great War, to check responses against.

Also (from their website) Link to RAMC Collection

Royal Army Medical Corps Muniment Collection: A major collection on military medicine, which contains reports, diaries, memoirs, photographs and memorabilia given to the RAMC Museum and Library by former officers and men of the Corps. The substantial amount of material indexed under 'First World War' covers the Balkan Front, the Dardanelles, East Africa, France and Flanders, the Home Front, India, Italy, Malta, Mesopotamia and the Middle East, Russia, Serbia and South West Africa, as well as Prisoners of War and includes general material and photographs

There is also a section Naval and Military Hospitals Naval and Miiitary Hospitals

Should help

Regards

Mart

Fabulous resource Mart! Just a few minutes on the Wellcome web site convinced me to make a trip to the UK to pour through their records. Thanks a million for posting it.

bc

Hello,

It's a pleasure. Make sure you have access to the bit of the collection you want to access before you travel.

Does anyone have photos of the IWM Crystal Palace exhibition?

Regards

Mart

By the tone of the correspondence the Royal Albert Hospital in Woolwich was part of the RA establishmnet there. The casualty in question, being a RA man, fell of his horse in Hull and ended up there.

Roop

Thanks Roop

Will have to do a bit of research on that one, I certainly never heard of it the only military hospital I was aware of was the Herbert Hospital about half-a-mile up the road from the RA Barracks.

"Herbert" - "Albert" I wonder?

Tony

This fine Victorian former hospital is actually situated adjacent to the CWGC headquarters building. The plaque explains its former use; now used for community services, I knew it as an art college. Some sharp eyed forum members may recognise the frontage from some ‘Carry On’ films.

Regards Paul

post-9366-1165494524.jpg

post-9366-1165494544.jpg

Wow,

You have answered a question. It is the Herbert!! I have misread it. Sorry to have confused all 12000 of you.

Roop

Roop

I won't hold it against you Roop, I have done it myself 'often'

Tony

Not sure if it's been mentioned:

Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup, Kent:

The Archives

A series of coincidences resulted in the discovery of a remarkable collection of material which documents the development of plastic surgery at the beginning of the 20th Century. Driven by the persistence of Harold Gillies, and fuelled by the flood of casualties from the battle of the Somme, the Queen's Hospital, Sidcup was developed as the First World War's major centre for maxillo-facial and plastic surgery. Opened in 1917, the hospital and its associated convalescent hospitals provided over 1000 beds and between 1917 and 1921 admitted in excess of 5000 servicemen

http://website.lineone.net/~andrewbamji/index.htm

Linda -

I was looking for Queen's but didn't know about the archives. I clicked on the link you gave and as a result Dr Bamji has found my grandfather's notes which equals to finding a lot of the missing pieces of his life in the war.

I love this site!

Many many thanks.

Wendy

Just wondering if these are new to the list

High Beach Hospital Westgate on Sea

Bangor Military Hospital

Netherfield Rd Auxiliary Hospital, Liverpool - part of 1st Western General Hospital

Chris

Guest Kirsty Nichol

Hope the attached of Birmingham ones helps - I think it's an unpublished thesis from a student at Birmingham University.

There's also one missing from it - the former Sorrento Maternity Hospital, Moseley, Birmingham as it is known today. Probably just the Sorrento Hospital at the time, which was purchased around 1916 by the Citizen's Committee of Birmingham who administered welfare (on behalf of the Ministry of Pensions). It was used for paraplegic veterans.

ALSO 111 Anderton Park Road (adjacent) was used between 1917 and 1923, it was run by two women according to records researched so far. This seems likely to have been related to the hospital given the dates. Any further info on either of these sites would be gratefully received!

Hope the other stuff's of use too!

Thanks,

Kirsty and Steve from Brum

MilitaryHospitalsintheBirminghamAreaduringtheGreatWar.doc

Ralston House, between Paisley and Glasgow. Demolished in 1930s. Colin Campbell

As there seemed no way of searching the entries to this thread I did a web search for information about Freeford Hall Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital (Lichfield) I came across another site which contains quite a large list of UK military hospitals.

http://www.juroch.demon.co.uk/UKhospitals.htm

Should any member have an interest in obtaining information about patients at the Freeford Hall Hospital I may be able to give some help. Please PM me with details.

Don't know if this is any use to you guys, but I'm in possession of a copy of Army Orders 1911, which lists all of the VAD units that were recognised by the War Office 1910, to be raised by each County and whether by BRCS or SJAB. Would you like the list to be posted here?

Graham.

Graham

I waited to see if there would be a rush to view your list but perhaps Christmas has got in the way. However, I would be interested in viewing it just in case there are some that I am missing.

Do you want to post it here or shall I PM my Email address?

Seasons greetings

Tony

http://www.juroch.demon.co.uk/UKhospitals.htm

Sorry lads, didn't think anyone was interested so didn't come back. I'll send the VAD lists via e.mail as they'll be too big to post here. In the meantime I found the above link to a comprehensive list of War Hospitals taken from ACI's.

PM me your e.mail addresses and I'll forward the lists. Please be patient(no pun itended), but we have a new all-in-one scanner and it took the best part of four hours to master this morning and it was creating havoc.

Graham.

Thanks Graham

Looks like a few that I haven't got to keep me busy for awhile. Thanks for the tip but have seen the Juroch.Demon site.

Happy Christmas

Tony

Hello

Checked in the World War 2 Official History:British Red Cross Society & Order of St John of Jerusalem, War Organisation Official History 1939-1947 for pointers, because you could do a ww2 version from the back appendixs.

The forward refers to a "bible" from the First World War that they used to set up the Second World War Organisation.

It could be "Final report of the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St. John, 1919" which the link above is a part copy of, but its published date is 1921.

The web site of St John's, says that the library holds:

# Rolls of auxiliary hospitals and hospital registration forms

# Weekly reports of the St. John Ambulance Brigade Hospital Etaples

# Final report of the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St. John 1919

# Histories, autobiographies & diaries

I would think that indexs to the rolls will give you a full list, or close to one.

Regards

Mart

I've just come across a postcard showing a Great War hospital ward and captioned "British Red Cross Society (Scottish branch), Springburn & Woodside Hospital, Atlas Ward". I've done a Forum search for Springburn and Woodside, which yielded nothing, and also a Google one which suggested Glasgow as the location. On the back is written "My father in bed marked X . He was shot through his heart and bullet came out other side given 7 days to live but lived on until he was 72." "Father" was Private John Thomas Williams, of the 1/5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Moonraker