Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

Hi Chaps,

Has anything been done with all of the hospitals listed here ie have they been stuck in some sort of database ?

Cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I llived in a large house converted to flats. In fact the Army housed my Mother and I there during WW2 whilst Dad,a Regular, was away. The property was well known locally. Mount Felix in Walton on Thames, Surrey. It was used as a Hospital for New Zealnd soldiers during WW1. I know that there is a lot of info and photos at the local Museum at Weybridge. As a result there are 17 anzacs buried in the local Cemetry

near St. Mary's Parish church. During the fifties as a member of the ACF. we attended and formed a guard of honour on Anzac Day. I know some familys, even in those austere times visited Mount Felix and the Cemetry. Sadly a dispute over it's future led to a mysterious fire and Mount Felix is no more.

Tony P

Tony

Quote-Sadly a dispute over it's future led to a mysterious fire and Mount Felix is no more.

As a matter of interest when did it actually burn down?

Cheers

Another Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I did a word search on "hospital" on a book I'm co-writing on WW1 in my area (Irlam and Cadishead). The below are the results. Some of these aren't much use, i.e. a hospital in Birmingham, and I'm sure many if not all will be listed on this post (I couldnt check them all, sorry).

I hope this helps

Pete

The Hall, Glan-y-Don, Colwyn Bay, North Wales (my Great gran's sister served here). I have a photo of her at the hospital if anyone is interested)

Netley Military Hospital

hospital at Stobhill, Glasgow

military hospital adjoining Kingswood Training College, Bath

2nd Southern General Hospital, Bristol

Beaufort War Hospital, Fishpond, Bristol

David Lewis Northern Hospital in Liverpool

Military hospital at Cardiff

Wharncliffe War hospital at Wadsley near Sheffield

King George Hospital, Stamford Street, London

High Beach Hospital, Kent VAD, Westgate-on-sea

Shorncliffe Military Hospital

Orchard Convalescent Hospital, Dartford

Military Hospital, Colchester

Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour

General Hospital in Colchester

4th Scottish General Hospital at Stobhill in Glasgow

Cambridge Hospital, Aldershot

Military hospital in Lewisham

Hope Hospital in Salford

3rd Northern Hospital, Sheffield

a Military Hospital in Croydon

Western General Hospital in Whitworth Street (probably Manchester)

2nd Western General Hospital in Manchester

Military Hospital in Baschurch near Shrewsbury

4th London General Hospital at Denmark Hill, London [now known as King's College Hospital]

Addington War Hospital

Bevan hospital in Sandgate

3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.

a military hospital in Chichester

2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester

a hospital in Shrewsbury

amputated in hospital, Epsom

Oswestry hospital

in hospital in Sunderland

in hospital in Stockport

a hospital in Northenden

a hospital at Whalley near Blackburn

Old Mill Hospital, Aberdeen (I have a postcard with the hospital and Scots Guards parading, if anyone would like)

a hospital in Tunbridge Wells

Beaufort War Hospital in Bristol

Racecourse Hospital at Cheltenham

a Military Hospital in Birmingham

3rd General Hospital in Cardiff

Military Hospital in Lichfield

Convalescent Home in Aldridge

in hospital at St. Albans

in hospital in Nottingham

in a Warrington hospital

Addington Park War Hospital

Divisional Dysentery Convalescent Hospital, located near to New Milton, Hampshire

in hospital in Wallasey

Lichfield Military Hospital

in hospital in Leeds

Bradford War Hospital

Chester War hospital

Devonport Military Hospital

4 General Hospital

Queen Mary's Convalescent Auxiliary Hospital in Roehampton

2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester

East Leeds War Hospital

War Hospital, Newcastle, Staffordshire

2nd London General Hospital

4th Scottish General Hospital, Stobhill, Glasgow

Military Hospital at Sutton Veny

Horton War Hospital, Epsom

Queen Mary's Military Hospital, Blackpool

2nd Southern General Hospital

Huddersfield War Hospital

2nd London General Hospital, St. Mark's College,

A Military Convalescent Hospital at Blackpool

3rd Line South Midland Division Field Hospital, Windmill Hill, Andover

Trent Bridge Military Hospital, Nottingham

The Irish Times, Dublin of Saturday, June 14, 1919, page 6 has a short history of the "Dublin University V.A.D. Auxiliary Hospital" [ D.U.V.A.D. Hospital ] that is very useful with names and figures.

Does anyone know if Dublin University or anyone else in Ireland has the records for this hospital including the 451 patients that they treated between 1915 and early 1919?

John

Toronto

P.S. This thread is extremely useful and I know that this has been mentioned a couple of times already: how does one search for a specific hospital or organization and come up with only hits that directly match such a hospital?

I can help you with the hospitals in which the NZEF were patients. For starters there are No. 1 New Zealand General Hospital (NZGH) at Brockenhurst, No. 2 at Walton-on-Thames (Mount Felix) and No. 3 at Codford, near Warminster.

I shall look through my records of New Zealanders who are buried at Brockenhurst and compile a further list.

Clare Church

Hi Clare, I came across your reply re UK hospitals for NZ soldiers & wondered if you have any info on Pte Larson who may possibly have been in the Walton on Thames hospital. He was wounded in Gallipoli & sent to England for treatment & convalescence( maybe at Codford). He married Marjorie Phyliss Butler in Warminster in 1918.

Regards, Tom

One or two more Hospitals in the UK:-

Woodford Times 7th August 1914

RED CROSS SOCIETY

To the Editor, Woodford Times

Sir,

Now that war is formally declared I should be glad if I might make it known through your columns the fact that the Bancroft's School would be taken over as a hospital in case of need, to be managed by the Buckhurst Hill Voluntary Aid Detachment, acting under the control of the Army Medical Corps. The hospital would, as now arranged, be for 50 beds, but in case of need we may be required to increase the number immediately.

Yours Faithfully

Francis E. Howard

Keynedon, Buckhurst Hill. Aug. 5, 1914

-------

Woodford Times 2 Aug 1916

Treat to Wounded Soldiers

On Tuesday last a very enjoyable treat was provided for the wounded at Ormonde House Hospital by Mr. H. A. Jones of Buckhurst Hill, at the suggestion of his wife and daughters, who are workers at the Hospital. The Roebuck Hotel had been engaged for the occasion, and in the afternoon a whist drive was arranged, followed by a substantial tea, after which the men settled down to enjoy an excellent concert arranged by Mr. H. C. Shepherd, organist of St. John's Church

At the request of Mr. Jones, who was absent on important business in Sheffield, Mr. G. E. Gratton gave the men a hearty welcome. In the course of his remarks he said that Buckhurst Hill was well to the front in sending men into the Army. As he knew of 550 boys who had joined, 60 of whom had unfortunately made the great sacrifice. On behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family he gave a hearty welcome to the guests, among whom he noticed two Buckhurst Hill boys who had returned wounded.

The musical programme included some well rendered songs by Miss Ida Bullivant, (soprano) and some artistically played concertina solos by Mr. Jackson Jones. Mr. Frank Hudson convulsed the boys with his humorous songs and funny stories, and Sapper Haines brought down the house with his magnificently songs, in which his powerful and well-trained tenor voice was heard to great advantage. Several pleasing and popular selections on the piano were played by Mr. H. C. Shepherd.

At the close of the entertainment Mr. Askew proposed a vote of thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family for the enjoyable evening they had provided, and expressed regret that Mr. Jones was unable to be present owing to an important business engagement that had arisen after the date for that function was fixed. The motion was received with loud applause, and Pte. Mackie and Sergt. Rosson, on behalf of the wounded soldiers, expressed their keen appreciation of the kindly thought and generous action which had enabled them to spend such a pleasant evening.

Essex Weekly News Friday 22 June 1917

Pte C. Old, Essex Regt., of Maldon, who joined up soon after the outbreak of war was severely wounded on April 14th in the head, arms and leg and is now in Lady Forrester's Hospital, Much Wenlock, Shropshire. His leg was amputated above the knee on June 6th and he is now progressing favourably. He had previously been invalided home

Just seen this. Charles Old actually died of his wounds on 25/6/1917 and is buried in Maldon Cemetery. His parents ran a fruit and veg business in town. Maldon also had two hospitals - run by the Red Cross in a house on Fullbridge (called Riverview) and in the newly built Baptist School,

the following text appeared in a book entitled "The World War - Irlam and Cadishead's Part - Official Record and Roll of Honour 1914 to 1917." The book was published to raise funds for the local branch of the British Red Cross:

"It is noteworthy that Worsley Hall was the first hospital to receive War Office sanction, it was generously lent by Lord and Lady Ellesmere and opened on October 16th, 1914 as an Auxiliary Home Hospital. It is beautifully situated in 105 acres of its own grounds, is admirably arranged and adequately equipped, containing 22 wards, and accomodation for 132 patients.

Elm Bank, Eccles, was generously placed at the disposal of the British Red Cross Society for use as an Auxiliary Home Hospital by Mr Harold Birley and Mr James Bindloss, and was opened for the reception of patients on 20th November 1914. In the first instance accomodation was provided for 14 beds, 18 more being added later, making a total of 32, arranged in 5 wards. Bell tents have also been provided in the summer months to enable a few of the men to sleep outside.

Wibbersley Hospital, Flixton, generously offered for that purpose by Dr and Mrs Smith of Altrincham, received its first contingent of patients on October 14th 1914, and in early May following, Flixton Institute (officially recorded as Wibbersley No. 2) was likewise utilised. Local help has already been freely rendered in Nursing and the probabilities are, now that Irlam and Cadishead are officially linked up to this hospital, that local Red Cross funds will be well maintained. Already the funds of the hospital have been assisted by local efforts, the Male Voice Choir have given several concerts to patients there, and wounded soldiers from Wibbersley have been entertained on a few occasions in Irlam and Cadishead. May the good and noble work continue with increasing success as long as this terrible war lasts!"

I have photos of each of the above hospitals. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Below is a photographic postcard photographed recently by me from a private collection here in Canada of Hindhead, Surrey High Rough Military Hospital. Hope this helps someone.

post-7558-1240199888.jpg

John

Toronto

Canada

Your welcome gentlemen. It is from a currently private collection owned by I think a 91 year old woman who is a direct descendant of a patriotic Canadian family whose father and three sons all served. Two of the three sons were killed in 1917 while the third was also wounded but survived the war. The father was discharged as being over age after successfully enlisting and going to England. I may be able to post a few more details later.

Glad you enjoyed the postcard.

John

Toronto

(ex-British North America)

• 3 weeks later...

First attempt at uploading a pic. hopefully not too ropey. It is a picture off my Grandfather between getting wounded Sept 1917 at Passchendaele and discharge April 1919. From family anecdote he was somewhere

near "Hampton Court Palace" which I think could only be Bushy Park at Hampton Hill. Which I understand was a Canadian Convalescent hospital. He was serving with 5th Gordons. Any thoughts welcome.

post-41978-1241804455.jpg

According to a plaque on the wall the Scala Hall which is attached to Torquay Town Hall was in use as a Hospital during the 1914-18 War.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Chaps,

Has anything been done with all of the hospitals listed here ie have they been stuck in some sort of database ?

Cheers

Grant

I'm keen to find this out too . . . is there a list please?

And also what medical records, if any, exist still, and how do you go about tracking them down?

My great uncle was at the "Red Cross Hospital Radnorshire", and later the convalescent camp in Prescot Autumn of 1916 with shell-shock.

He was also hospitalised in France the following year, August 1917, then sent in Sept 1917 to hospital in Newport Monmouthshire, and later wore a wound stripe on his sleeve, which obviously wouldn't have been for the shell-shock. (Back to France in March 1918.)

I'd like to find out more information about both these incidents, but don't know where to start.

Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks

Eirian

Eirian

Some of the hospitals that appear on this list were incorporated into a page on the Long Long Trail website, and can be seen here:

Hospitals in the UK

However, it's only a small proportion of the whole, and there were many hundreds of smaller hospitals. My knowledge of Welsh geography is about zero, and not sure about whether any of the hospitals on the image might be the right one. I have recently added a page to my own web site about medical and hospital records - it's only a brief guide, but might help. I honestly feel that its main use is showing how slim the chances are of finding anything these days.

Medical and hospital records of the Great War

Sue

post-416-1242566783.jpg

Sue

Many thanks for the link and the image. This is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about, and I've only had a brief glimpse through it so far - will read your website page in depth later, but I can already see that the chances of finding out anything further are not good!

So you've saved me an awful lot of time!

Thanks again.

Eirian

• 2 weeks later...

as mentioned in my previous posting. The VAD Hospital at Lotherton hall, Aberford, Yorkshire. 1914-1919. 655 patients treated over the 5 year period.

Pauline

Michael J. Boland R Nfld R #1148 was treated, during his service, at (or on ) the following:

St. Andrew's Hospital - Malta

H.S. Glenark Castle

H. S. Nevassa

Wandsworth General Hospital

Hanover House-Woodford Green-Essex-England

140 Field Hospital

88 Field Hospital

German Hospital - Linberg on the River Lahn

Something I think is medical- Bezirk-Spital Switzerland

Finally...King George Hospital

I think a lot of us owe the medics and their staff a ton of gratitude for keeping our relatives around!

Anyone have an ID on the German Hospital?

thanks,

shawn

I understand that my Great Uncle was hospitalised with pneumonia in 1916 at St. Woolos Hospital, Newport, South Wales, and this was a military hospital I believe in both wars. Still standing, and still used as a NHS hospital today.

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in Norwich was also used to take casualties. I've done a quick search of the thread, but can only find a reference to the County Asylum at Thorpe St Andrews, which was taken over for the duration.

My knowledge on this comes solely from researching one individual, an Australian soldier buried in the main Norwich cemetery,Private Charles Stewart Mitchell of the 5th Battalion AIF. On the 20.08.17 he was posted to France, joining his unit there the next day, although he wasn’t formally taken on strength until the 2.9.17. By the 23.9.17 he was being admitted to the Norfolk&Norwich Hospital with a severe gun shot wound right buttock. He was actually wounded in action on the 21.9.17. and was quickly passed back through the casualty treating chain to the UK.

The cause of death is given as peritonitis originating from pelvic abscess.

Being Australian, his records are scanned and available on line. These include a note to his father describing the funeral arrangements.

“Buried at the Norwich cemetery at 5pm on the 8/10/17, (Grave number 243, section 26).

The deceased soldier was accorded a military funeral. The gun carriage, drawn by four horses, was supplied by the Royal Field Artillery. Chaplain Rev.John Hurley, St Marks, Norwich, officiated in accordance with the expressed desires of the late soldier, Chaplain Hurley having administered the consolation of religion to Private Mitchell while in Hospital, and a mutual confidence having sprung up between them. An oak cross, to temporarily mark the grave, will be erected by the AIF.”

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=7982334&NS=Y&T=1

Giving their relative positions, I would expect the vicar of St Marks to be visiting the N&N rather than the Thorpe St Andrews hospital

Wikipedia also has the following:-

During the First World War the Norfolk and Norwich cared for 7,880 servicemen and in February 1915 a new ward, the Eastern Daily Press (EDP) ward, was opened for 60 soldiers. The cost of £2,600 had been raised by the local newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Norwich_Hospital

I have fond memories of the old N&N, now replaced by a new building on the by-pass, as my work regularly took me there at one stage in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

How about Mrs. Jamieson's Hospital, Rye, Hastings.

DW