Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

post-34992-0-37037300-1431975804_thumb.j

Chris,

This is a fascinating subject to research, the numbers of hospitals etc. is phenomenal - it deserves a book written on the subject. Further to my Sussex list, the following is the hospitals in and around the Bournemouth area and taken from “Bournemouth and the First World War” by M A Edgington, Bournemouth Local Studies Publications,1985.

Apart from the established hospitals, and the Mont Dore which was a military hospital under the War Office supervision, the local auxiliary hospitals, set up for the large number of wounded sent to the town, were mostly large houses which had rooms suitable for conversion into wards. Some also had large grounds in which marquees or huts were erected.

All the hospitals were staffed by trained nurses, some of whom were members of either the Red Cross or the St. John Ambulance Brigade, and many VAD’s.

Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road.
Surgeon-in-Charge: W. F. Stevenson, C.B., K.H.S, A.M.S. Shortly after the commencement of the war the Hospital Authority proposed to the War Office that they should provide 200 beds for the sick and wounded who might be sent to Bournemouth. This was approved and marquees were erected in the grounds of the Royal Victoria and West Hants Hospital, Shelly Road.

Crag Head Red Cross Hospital, Manor Road.
Opened in by the Red Cross in Oct 1914 as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers from the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley. The hospital originally provided 100 beds and was divided into 14 wards arranged on 3 floors. The hospital was under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson of Boscombe Military Hospital. The hospital was closed at the end of 1918. Crag Head was demolished in 1972 and a block of luxury flats erected on the site in 1973.

Grata Quies Auxiliary Hospital, 29 Western Avenue, Branksome Park, Poole. First opened on 21st Nov 1914 with 40 beds and by May 1915 had another 30. The hospital closed on 18th Mar 1919.

Heron Court Auxiliary Hospital, Hurn, Christchurch.
First opened on 4th Nov 1914 originally there were two wards one with 12 beds and the other 8. This was later extended by erection of a hut giving an extra 10 beds. The hospital was intended for NCO & men on convalescent who didn’t need a great deal of nursing. The hospital closed in Dec 1918 and is now (1985) Hurn Court School.

Mont Dore Military Hospital, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth.
The Mont Dore Hotel was taken over by the War Office for conversion into a hospital 20th Nov 1914, for the Indian Wounded. After the withdrawal of the Indian Army Corps from France in Nov 1915, Mont Dore became a British Military Hospital. In 1918 the hospital was changed yet again into a convalescent home for Officers and in Nov 1918 many of the patients were Officers repatriated from POW camps. It closed in 1919 but didn’t revert to a hotel as it was purchased by the Bournemouth Corporation for use as the Town Hall.

St John Ambulance Brigade Hospital, 2 Bodorgan Road.

The hospital was opened in Nov 1915 as an auxiliary hospital with 25 beds, increased later to 27. Then in 1917 two marquees each with 15 beds were provided by the War Office. Originally it took only local cases from the troops billeted in the town and the camps in the area, but later received patients from the front. From 28th Apr 1916 it became an Annexe to the Boscombe Military Hospital. From Nov 1915 to 28th Feb 1919 when it close 1,414 patients were admitted, of whom only 5 died.

Stourwood Auxiliary Hospital, 3 Bracken Road, Southbourne.

An auxiliary hospital for the Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road, under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson. This was a newly built house just before the war its first tenants were wounded soldiers the first batch were wounded Belgians straight from the front on 1st Dec 1914 the initial number of beds provided was 10 which was eventually increased in May 1915 to 30. Later two large marquees each containing 16 beds were provided. The total number of patients treated is unknown. The figure for Nov 1918 was 1317 it finally closed down after Christmas 1918.

Other Local Military and Auxiliary Hospitals.

Balmer Lawn Hotel Brockenhurst - 100 beds. Originally for Indian troops.

Barton-on-Sea Convalescent Camp – originally used for Indian troops, it was later an English Military hospital. About 35,000 men passed through Barton in the 3 years it was open. It closed in Mar 1919.

Branksome Gate Hospital – for Wounded Officers, Western Avenue, Branksome Park. Opened Jun 1916.

Brownsea Island – “Mrs Van Raalte, owner of Brownsea Island, does valuable work in taking severe cases of officers suffering from shell-shock and nervous break-downs and doing wonders in the way of restoring them to health” - Bournemouth Daily Echo.

Christchurch Red Cross Hospital – started in Oct 1914 with 50 beds which increased until in mid 1918, when it could accommodate 300 patients. By the time it closed in Jan 1919 it had treated 5,000 patients. The buildings that were used are now (1985) part of the Christchurch Hospital.

Cornelia Hospital – two new wards were built for the wounded, having 60 beds.

Forest Park Hotel, Brockenhurst – 100 beds. Set up for Indian troops.

Sandacres, Shore Road, Parkstone – Sir Ernest Cassel’s Convalescent Home for Soldiers.
Sandhills, Mudeford – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 20 beds.

Springfield, Castle Hill, Parkstone – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital for convalescent troops.

Somerley Manor, Ringwood – convalescent home for Officers.

South Lytchett Manor – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 40 beds.

Thorney Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Bransgore – attached to the New Zealand Hospital, Brockenhurst.

Westworth Lodge, Southbourne – convalescent home for Officers.

Nursing Homes for the Belgium Wounded.
Aston Grays, Knole Road.
Miss Barger’s, Dorset House, Kimberley Road.
Miss Brighams’s Westways, Forrest Road, Branksome Park.
Herbert Convalescent Home, Alumhurst Road – used entirely of Belgiums from Oct 1914 to Jun 1915. It had 60 Beds.
Home of Good Hope, Portchester Road.
Miss Judkin’s, Fernside, St. Stephen’s Road.
Miss Rowley’s, St. Catherine’s, 25.27 Middle Road.
Dr Scorer’s, 19 Christchurch Road.
Stagsden, 14 West Cliff Road.
Mrs Wilison’s, Mont Serrat, 24 Lorne Park Road.

Plus
Royal Victoria Hospital, Lowther Road. Sometimes known as Miss Churcher’s, who was the Sister in Charge. The building is now (1985) the Teacher’s Centre.

Alan Seymour.

Boscombe Military Hospital or West Hants Hospital then Royal Victoria Hospital casualties being transport across Ashley Road from Boscombe Railway Station which was the other side of the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find a photo of Bellahouston Red Cross Hospital in Glasgow? My g g uncle died of wounds here in 1916. His name was Corporal James Edward Hannant 70520 of 11th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire regiment). Thanks Sharon

Sharon

It may be worthwhile contacting the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. Their website is www.mitchelllibrary.org and their e-mail is archives@glasgowlife.org.uk

Douglas

Sharon, welcome and you may have seen this one courtesy of searching Googling Images. There may be one or two more from such a search.

Moonraker

I've just joined this group so hopefully I've read all the rules correctly, but apology in advance if not.

I'm trying to research the WW1 history of my paternal grandfather whose military history I know very little other than a picture I have of him at Bowden Hospital, Mapperley, Nottingham dated 1918. I assume he was injured at some point and was recovering here. This is the only starting point I have as although name searches, on Ancestry have given a list of names, without regiment etc I'm at a loss.

Not sure if picture sharing is correct but it will help with my second queries.

1. Are there any records keep of these hospitals?

and 2. did they have a specific uniform to wear? In my photo all the men, some with injuries are all dressed the same.

The only other information I have is his birth place and where I believe he was demobbed in Watford, Hertfordshire.

Any suggestions of where to start would be most welcome

post-122717-0-14168600-1433663418_thumb.

Hello Herts and welcome to the forum

I would suggest starting a new thread in the section soldiers, with the above post you have made. Your post is a little bit buried in this thread and will possibly not be noticed. Make sure to include your grandfather's name and regiment if known, the more information you can give the better.

I can answer one of your questions, the men are wearing hospital blues. I'm sure if you google the term and world war 1 you will get more information.

Lovely photo and good luck with the research.

Mandy

Edited by mandy hall

Bowden Auxiliary Hospital was set up in a house called Elmswood, in Mapperley Road, Nottingham. It provided 55 beds for other ranks and was a feeder hospital (i.e. auxiliary unit) to Bagthorpe War Hospital. Many of the patients would have been assessed and treated at Bagthorpe first, though Bowden might well have taken patients direct from disembarkation particularly later in the war. If there are any surviving records, which is rare, they're likely to be held at the Nottinghamshire Archives and County Record Office. Very few survive nationally.

Sue

Many thanks for your replies, wiser already.

My grandfathers name was James, Gordon, Melville born in Abbotshill, Fife in 1898. I have no information on regiment, although it may well be Scottish, but I believe he was demobbed in Watford, Hertfordshire, where he met and married my grandmother post war.

As I'm new I'm not sure how to create a new thread in Soldiers yet but I'll get there.

Banbury Red Cross Hospital

Post 645 shows a card of thanks to Miss Marjorie Blencowe. I have just found (aquired 30+ years ago but forgotten!) a packet of 20 or so negatives that 'Miss M Blencowe, Banbury Red Cross Hospital' had developed at that period showing a number of soldiers and nurses at the hospital. I presume she gave the prints to those patients.

To whom might these be of interest? I shall scan them shortly. Unfortunately there are no names to identify the individuals. Nor a year, just an invoice dated April.

Perhaps the excellent Banbury Museum?

A few years its curator was a member of the GWF (indeed, still may be)and an author of at least one book on the Great War.

Moonraker

Thanks for the link, moonraker.

I will scan the negatives first then copies are more accessible. I will keep a copy but the original negatives are only likely to degrade in my care!

I see now on the "women" topic that one can search the Red Cross VAD records (up to "K") and I find Miss Marjorie Blencowe was at Banbury as Quartermaster from May 1917 to Nov 1918 thus one might assume photos were developed April 1918.

• 5 months later...
Guest Laineyb1964

Easton Military Hospital near Winchester, Hampshire. 1918

Hursley Park Military Hospital, near Winchester, Hampshire. 1918

Sarisbury Court, Fareham, Hampshire. 1918.

Milton Military Hospital, Portsmouth, Hampshire. 1918.

Hazeley Down, Twyford, near Winchester, Hampshire. 1918.

Grandfather (6th RWF) in 1st Western General, Fazakerley, Liverpool after Gallipoli November '15 and his brother (16th RWF) Northumberland Gorforth after Pilkem August '17.

post-87057-0-13780400-1449572276_thumb.j

My old primary school, Old Hall Drive, Gorton, Manchester, was used as a hospital I'm told. The trouble is I haven't found any evidence to prove it. I think the building was erected in 1914 so it may actually have been a hospital before the children ever got a look in. If it was as I've been told would this hospital have come under the umbrella of the 2nd Western General in Manchester? If it did has anyone come across mention of Old Hall Drive School as a hospital?

Thanks

Simon

I wonder if there's some confusion of names. There was an Old Hall Auxiliary Hospital with 50 beds for other ranks which was affiliated to No.2 Western General Hospital, Manchester, but that one was in Mottram, either housed in Mottram Old Hall itself, or in the grounds.

Sue

Sue,

Thanks for your post regarding Mottram. I don't however think that your "Old Hall" is the same as mine. I remember from primary school days that various people spoke of the school being used as a hospital. One of the people that spoke of it was Bill Crowe, a former Manchester Pal who was invalided out due to trench foot. I tried contacting the school but they didn't reply. Ive just been in contact with a local history society but haven't heard anything yet.

Simon

I don't think that there would have been two hospitals attached to No.2 Western General which had the same name in official records, so perhaps the school was known by some other name at the time. No.2 Western General had many 'sections' as opposed to the auxiliary units affiliated to it and many of the sections were in school buildings. I don't know the geography of the area, and the War Office hospital list of 1917 doesn't give full addresses, but the sections of the hospital in Manchester (as opposed to the auxiliaries) are listed as follows - possibly one of them is your school by another name.

ALEXANDRA PARK SECTION

ALFRED STREET SECTION

ALMA PARK SECTION

BANK MEADOW SECTION

CLYNE HOUSE SECTION

DUCIE AVENUE SECTION

GRANGE STREET SECTION

GRECIAN STREET

GREEK STREET

HEALD PLACE SECTION

HIGH STREET SECTION

HOLLYWOOD PARK SECTION

LANGWORTHY ROAD SECTION

LEAF SQUARE SECTION

LEICESTER ROAD SECTION

LILY LANE SECTION

MOSLEY ROAD SECTION

NEW BRIDGE STREET SECTION

NORTH REDDISH SECTION

ST. GEORGE'S SECTION

SEYMOUR PARK SECTION

TOOTAL ROAD SECTION

VERNON PARK SECTION

The date of this list was October 1917, so if it still doesn't show up worth considering that it was opened after that date and checking with the local papers for any mention of it later in the war.

Sue

Edited by Sue Light

Thanks Sue

None of them stand out as being likely but stranger things have happened. From your list I can add the following detail (though stand to be corrected!).

Alexandra Park. Almost certainly Moss Side.

Alfred St. Primary School ,Harpurhey.

Alma Park. Primary School, Levenshulme.

Bank Meadow. Primary School, Ardwick.

Ducie Avenue, Primary School, Moss Side.

Grange St. Primary School, Bradford, Manchester.

Grecian St. Primary school, Broughton, Salford.

Heald Place. Primary School, Moss Side.

Hollywood Park. Poss Stockport.

Langworthy Rd. Salford.

Leaf Square. Poss Salford.

Leicester Rd. Salford.

Lily Lane. Primary School, Moston.

Seymour Park. Old Trafford.

I could make educated guesses at certain others but they may only serve to confuse. It appears the schools listed are still operating though not necessarily in the original buildings. Please excuse my ignorance but what were the auxiliary units? I'm sure I'll get to the end of this but haven't seriously looked at it for a while

Thanks

Simon

Sue,

Just checked the red cross list of auxiliary hospitals and Old Hall Drive School doesn't appear here either.

Simon

Trooper Frank Moore of the Cheshire Yeomanry had a fall from his horse during training which hospitalised him for a short time. Whilst recuperating he wrote somewhat graphically about his experience in the Eastern General Hospital at Cambridge. The hospital has been mentioned in this thread but the letter content may be of additional interest. His letter was published in November 1914.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Banbury Red Cross Hospital

Post 645 shows a card of thanks to Miss Marjorie Blencowe. I have just found (aquired 30+ years ago but forgotten!) a packet of 20 or so negatives that 'Miss M Blencowe, Banbury Red Cross Hospital' had developed at that period showing a number of soldiers and nurses at the hospital. I presume she gave the prints to those patients.

To whom might these be of interest? I shall scan them shortly. Unfortunately there are no names to identify the individuals. Nor a year, just an invoice dated April.

Charlie 962, I was wondering if you were successful in developing the prints from the negatives and whether they are available.

My grandfather John(Jack) Bryant gunner RGA was wounded 23/3/1918 at Echiet le Grande (Operation Michael) and later referred to the Banbury (Grimsbury) Red Cross Hospital in the time frame indicated.

Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Dan

Dan, I have scanned the negatives with as much resolution as possible. This means each photo is about 7mb filesize. So I'm not sure how to let you see the whole lot? I do intend to try to send a copy to the Banbury Museum. But as I said there are no names. Any thoughts as to how to make this available?

Below is a typical photo. The panel in front has some writing which I've enlarged. Can anyone decypher it ?

I could copy the others the same way in reduced resolution and post each individually but that would clutter this site/thread with photos perhaps of little interest to most. EDIT What is "Gallery" on this forum. Is it for this sort of thing ?

post-119876-0-72308600-1451745667_thumb.

post-119876-0-39975500-1451745686_thumb.

Charlie 962,

First of all thank you very much for your endeavours with the negatives which I appreciated very much. I commend you on the clarity of the pictures given that the negatives are a 100 years old. I think that there is equal merit in providing photo copies to the Banbury museum and the GWF gallery. The fact that the photos are undated and unnamed does not detract from their importance to the social / military record as well as an acknowledgement of sacrifice.

The panel appears to denote a peacock which might suggest a ward name in the hospital or just a painting done for rehabilitation reasons. From what I can make out the writing could be F? R Spilsbury a soldier/artist ?!

Unfortunately my grandfather is not in the photos with only a slight resemblance to the man on the right. I also note that Grandfather Bryant was posted for duty with the 1/1 h/c (Home Counties) Kent Royal garrison artillery - heavy artillery on the 8/8/1914 at Sheerness before proceeding to France in December 1915. He would not therefore have been entitled to the Mons Star.

Thank you again for your assistance and I wish you and your family my best wishes for the New Year.

Dan