Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

I am too lazy to trawl the 24 pages of this thread, but in case it has not been recorded, I offer the "SirA.L.Jones Memorial Hospital" at Garston, Liverpool and quote from a pamphlet on the district:

"A portion of the building was placed at the disposal of the military authorities for the use of wounded soldiers. The extra cost...was defrayed by private benevolence."

The hospital has just fallen under the hammers of 'redevelopment', but local watchdogs have endeavoured to record and retain anything of historical interest. Sir Alfred Jones, in whose memory the hospital was dedicated, was a local shipowner and benefactor, associated with the Elder Dempster shipping company and with the popularisation of the banana.

D

I've posted more from the same pamphlet and some pictures of the Sir Alfred Jones Memorial Hospital, Woolton Road, Garston here: Further detail on Garston Hospital

This hospital was built on the site of a Smallpox Hospital, parts of which (including the mortuary) survived the building of the Memorial Hospital which was opened in 1915. Architects: C T Anderson & R S Crawford.

The wing was added in 1931, and it increased the number of beds to 35.

The hospital closed in 2009.

It's all been demolished and a rather garish modern 'Treatment Centre' unit built in its place opening in 2011. The original plans for the replacement retained a small portion of the centre of 1915 facade, but this was axed during building.

Mark

Edit: in fact the portion of the 1915 facade is on the inside wall of the rather pleasant open courtyard/atrium.

Edited by MBrockway

• 1 month later...

I have a post card from Derby Infirmary, Ward 13 (RVI) where my Granddad was early in 1918, he then went on to stay at the Red Cross Hospital at Driffield and then Randalstown in Northern Ireland (August 1918)

I have photographs of both the Red Cross Hospital and Randalstown, happy to share these if others are interested ?

I am trying to find out where he was injured but am not sure how and where to look , can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Granddad was:-

M2 148083

of

263 Mt Co ASC

Grateful for any help

Carol

post-101496-0-09012500-1393850847_thumb.

You may get a better response if you post in the 'Soldiers' forum.

• 1 month later...

I have a post card from Derby Infirmary, Ward 13 (RVI) where my Granddad was early in 1918, he then went on to stay at the Red Cross Hospital at Driffield and then Randalstown in Northern Ireland (August 1918)

I have photographs of both the Red Cross Hospital and Randalstown, happy to share these if others are interested ?

I am trying to find out where he was injured but am not sure how and where to look , can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Granddad was:-

M2 148083

of

263 Mt Co ASC

Grateful for any help

Carol

Hi Carol, I'm involved in a community history exhibition about Derby in WW1, July 2014 (http://wp.me/p2zjdF-oZ), and we're inviting members of the public to share family history information, photos, etc.. If you have a digital copy of the postcard from the DRI we'd very much welcome the opportunity to display this in the exhibition, if you'd be willing to allow us to do so. Might we also / instead have permission to display a copy of the image of the card you've posted above?

Thanks, Kirsten

On the topic of hospitals in the Great War, I'm currently scanning an 'autograph book', which perhaps belonged to a Derbyshire Royal Infirmary nurse: it contains numerous comments, poems, & probably a painting, by soldiers, from a variety of regiments, who were recovering in the hospital (mostly in 1915-16), with one poem mentioning Ward 4. It really is a fascinating document / object, which I feel we (LIPCAP - the community project I'm involved with) are very privileged to access.

The scans (and possibly the book - I have to check with the person who loaned it to me to copy) will feature in an exhibition on Derby in WW1 (http://wp.me/p2zjdF-ok - free entry, should anyone be in the area). After the exhibition, I hope to post the scans on the project website (and / or Flickr page) - but again need to first get the permission of the owner of the book; if it's OK to do so, I'll post the link here, in case anyone might be interested.

I'll have a look through these pages to see if there's more DRI info.; we would love to hear more on the hospital during the Great War, if anyone has any further information, photos, etc. - and / or would give us permission to display relevant info. already posted here: we will of course cite sources / give thanks to anyone who might agree to let us share such information

Thanks, Kirst

Chris,

I haven't found this hospital on the site so you may not be aware of it

Eversfield Hospital for diseases of the chest at St.Leonads-on-sea my grandfather was sent there after being gassed in Ypres July 1917.

are you going to publish a list of all the Blighty Hospitals ?

Regards

Graham

Another: Farncombe VAD Convalescent Hospital, Broadway, Worcestershire, from 1917.

post-105226-0-76223800-1397893772_thumb.

My Great grandad in training John Dunphy 23435 Royal army medical corps at Lower southern hospital Dartford. Thought this would be of interest here. He is in the back row far right.He was a miner at marley hill colliery before and after the Great War he became a deputy at the colliery. He passed away in 1969 he never spoke about the war he was at the Somme, I can understand why he did not speak of it.

Best regards Gary.

Just found another picture of my Grandafther at a convalescence home on the reverse it says Hastings House.

I just found this thread and I'd like to tell you about an 'Album' I have from Shelford Red Cross Hospital in Cambridgshire. This is full of signatures of wounded solders, their regiment and usually with details of when and where they were wounded but also this album contains lots of pictures taken of the patients and staff at the hospital - often you can place a name with a picture. Some are faded but on the whole quite good. Also there are some hand drawn pictures and poems etc. Would love to share these pictures with you!

The hospital was in a large house, Mount Blow in Great Shelford that belonged to Mr and Mrs W J Mirrlees. First entry was from 1915 and the last from Jan 1917.

What should I do with this book? Should I scan in some pages ? I'd like to list the names etc but some of the 'old fashioned' writing is hard to decipher.

Jim

PS Just tried to scan in a couple of pages but the scanner refused to work so here are a couple of entries, just taken at random:

With picture - Pte J B Buss (2238), 28th London Regt (Artists Rifles), 17/9/16

With picture Pte H Morrison, 15000, 9th Batt Duke of Well Rgt, Wounded at Fricourt, July 6th 1916

A.M.- T.S.Longmire 11993, 35th squadron, Royal Flying Corps, 14/8/16

Pte John Andrews 10534, 1st East Surrey Regt, Wounded at Arras April 28th 1916

and so on for about 80 pages

Scans of the originals would be really good. especially for deciphering handwriting.

Here are two scans from the photo album from Shelford Red Cross Hospital near Cambridge. I wanted to add more but even at this lowest resolution possible i could only attach 2. What next, scan in more, if so to where? Is there a museum that this should be sent to or are these types of albums quite common? Would like you to see the drawings too!

Jim

post-99610-0-43162600-1398449820_thumb.j

post-99610-0-97170100-1398450175_thumb.j

Here are two scans from the photo album from Shelford Red Cross Hospital near Cambridge. I wanted to add more but even at this lowest resolution possible i could only attach 2. What next, scan in more, if so to where? Is there a museum that this should be sent to or are these types of albums quite common? Would like you to see the drawings too!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've only recently started looking into these books (having been loaned one for an exhibition), so would also like to know more about them.

A quick look around indicates that quite a few of them remain in circulation, which might suggest that there were common during and (in some cases, such as the e.g. I have to scan), slightly after WW1; or, that they were very particularly and carefully treasured - perhaps both. The examples I've so far seen seem to have mostly been kept by VAD / Red Cross nurses (usually collections of names, verse, photos, drawings etc. of wounded soldiers, in commercially produced 'autograph' books). I suspect that the special circumstances for VADs more easily suggested / allowed the creation of these records, as what seem to have been personal possessions (whereas for professional nurses, such collections may have been seen as inappropriate, in crossing personal / professional boundaries) - but this is only a top-of-the-head guess at the moment: I'd really like to know more by looking at more examples.

Though there are a few of these about, (IMHO) they are both important and interesting documents & artefacts of the period, which it would be good to see kept in circulation. If you're considering donating your example for public access: (I'm supposing that as this VAD hospital has not been developed as a museum etc.) one option might be the local infirmary / hospital - many older hospitals have displays of early equipment, etc., and this would make a great addition, that they *should* make accessible to the public. Or if there are no local military museums (who I'm sure would be interested), your local museum may have a military section, to which this would make a very interesting addition. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's a Red Cross Museum / Archive, which will probably be interested. If none of these options are available, the Local Studies Library, or regional Public Record Office, would surely welcome this in their collection, which would then be recorded in the catalogue (so that others can find it / know that it exists / where they can look at it), and accessible to others. In all these locations, it should receive professional conservation, to ensure that it remains around for future generations to see.

I'd be interested in seeing more of these - and hearing about them from those who collect / have carried out more detailed research on them: such fascinating pieces of social & cultural history

I'd certainly love to see more images of the example you have - it looks great: fabulous photos! If it does pass out of your hands into a public archive, please post where it's gone

(I hope to gain permission to put scans of the example that I borrowed online after the exhibition; I think that the owner then intends to donate it to the local hospital)

All the best,

Kirst

There's an excellent set of notes on the Milton Hill hospital (near Steventon, Berkshire, now Oxfordshire) at aahs.org.uk (scroll down to "Milton Hill House WWI Military Hospital") - a contemporary newspaper article, plus a history of the site, and a group picture of the patients + staff.

Apparently the largest privately operated military hospital, entirely underwritten by two wealthy brothers, one of whom spent the war years working as its chief administrator. (His wife was senior matron and - oddly - head masseuse). The article reports only one death among around 4000+ patients until the 1918 epidemic, which suggests it mostly dealt with long-term injuries or illness rather than recent combat wounds?

There's also some photographs of Tesdale House hospital, but no details.

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carol, I'm involved in a community history exhibition about Derby in WW1, July 2014 (http://wp.me/p2zjdF-oZ), and we're inviting members of the public to share family history information, photos, etc.. If you have a digital copy of the postcard from the DRI we'd very much welcome the opportunity to display this in the exhibition, if you'd be willing to allow us to do so. Might we also / instead have permission to display a copy of the image of the card you've posted above?

Thanks, Kirsten

Hi Kirsten, apologies for not responding sooner, I haven't been on for a few weeks - work I'm afraid ! I'd be delighted to help you in any way I can. My sister has the Derby Hospital photograph so I will get that from her and sort out a decent scan for you. My email is carol@validateuk.co.uk, if you can drop me a line and let me know how I can help I'll do so !

With best wishes

Carol

Hi Chris

Norfolk Auxiliary War Hospitals of the British Red Cross Society & Order of St John

Attleborough (town hall)

Brancaster

Brundall

Buckenham Tofts

Catton

Cawston

Cromer (2 - Red House & Colne House)

Diss

Ditchingham

Downham Market

East Dereham

Fakenham

Felthorpe

Garboldisham

Hardingham

Harleston

Hedenham

Hingham

Hunstanton (3 - Cliff House; Prince Edward Home & Convalescent Home)

Ingham

Kirstead

Letheringsett

Loddon

Lynford Hall

Matlaske

Melton Constable

North Walsham (2 - Lower House; Wellingtonia)

Norwich (3 - Bracondale; Town Close & Town Close Lodge)

The Convent of the Little Sisters of the Assumption

The Palace

Overstrand

Reepham

Saxlingham

Sheringham (2 - Knowelside & The Dales)

Swainsthorpe

Thetford

Thorpe St Andrew (2 - Coonor & Sanny Hill)

Thornham

Walsingham (2 - Berry Hill & Oddfellows Hall with Lower Farm)

Weasenham

West Bilney Manor and Narborough Hall

West Harling

Woodbastwick

Hoveton & Wroxham (2 - St Gregory's; Hoveton Hall)

Wymondham

Yarmouth

The one I know most about is East Dereham - the Vicarage. Open from 16th November 1914 - 5th April 1919 and admitted 2,067 patients - only beaten in patient intakes by Norwich and Cawston not bad for a town of only 4,500 just before the war began.

I've lots of info on it.

Thanks and take care, Kitty

Hi Kirsten, apologies for not responding sooner, I haven't been on for a few weeks - work I'm afraid ! I'd be delighted to help you in any way I can. My sister has the Derby Hospital photograph so I will get that from her and sort out a decent scan for you. My email is carol@validateuk.co.uk, if you can drop me a line and let me know how I can help I'll do so !

With best wishes

Carol

Hi Carol, thanks for getting back to me and for the offer to share the photo: I'll email ASAP!

Lakenham Military Hospital, Norwich.

Carrow Aux Hospital, Bracondale Woods, Norwich

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't find these with the search function.

Newport, Monmouthshire,Sth Wales -(Western District)

Brynglas,Red Cross Hospital,Newport -1914 loaned to Red Cross for use as a Hospital for the duration of the war -Possibly, cannot tell on Street View;now Brynglas House Community Centre ,Brynglas Road Newport

The Coldra,Newport,Can find no definate information as to where it was/is. Celtic Manor Hotel was originally Coldra Manor or House

Wrenford Memorial Hall,Newport,-Seems to have been named after the Rev J.T Wrenford appointed vicar of St Pauls Church,Newport in 1855,(the Vicarage Hall in its grounds was capable of holding about 200 people so maybe that is a possible location,as to if it is still there none the wiser)

St Woolas Hospital, Newport- Originally The Workhouse ,then Military Hospital,then Hospital,then Community and Mental Health Hospital,Still there?

P

I have a Border Regiment casualty who was firstly in Wandsworth hospital (i am guessing London).

But sadly died in Erskine House Bishopton, Glasgow.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

In the same vein as Alan's post some further details from the 1914-1918 UK CWGC cemetery registers for Hampshire:

Brockenhurst

No 1, New Zealand General Hospital (previously used as the Lady Hardinge (Indian) Hospital). See post from Clare Church in Sales, Wants, & Swaps.

Southampton

University Buildings - Military Hospital

Highfield Institution - Military Hospital

Shirley Warren - Military Hospital

Eastleigh

Eastleigh Military Hospital - Opened in April 1915 as a Clearing Hospital and became successively a Military Hospital and CCS.

Basingstoke

4th Canadian General Hospital was at Basingstoke from September 1917 to June 1919.

Netley

Royal Victoria Hospital

Portsmouth

Queen Alexandra Hospital

5th Southern General Hospital

No.33 U.S.A. Base Hospital, Milton

Gosport

Haslar Naval Hospital

Regards

Marc Thompson

The Eastleigh and District Local History Society is interested in the Eastleigh Casualty Clearing Station.

This was set up in 1915, largely by the efforts of Lt Col G E Twist RAMC. Col Twist was a local retired officer who had strong links with the St Johns Ambulance. In 1915, after he had been recalled into the RAMC he established the CCS largely using local St Johns ambulance men. He appears to have remained in command until the CCS was disbanded. We have an invitation card in which he and Mrs Twist invite local people to a farewell thank you party in May 1919.

The job of the CCS appears to act as a cross between a hospital and a transit camp. Lightly wounded ORs would go to the CCS from the nearby Southampton docks, and stay for 2 or 3 days while a suitable train was found on which to send them on. Some would need to go on a hospital train while others would be sent on ordinary passenger rolling stock, some of which had been converted to be more suitable for wounded. The CCS is recorded as having 1256 beds. It was initially set up in Chamberlayne Road school but overflowed into the local park, other schools, and halls.

We are interested in this CCS and would be grateful for more information.

• 4 weeks later...

Post # 662 and the patients / nurse's autograph book from Shelford Red Cross Hospital.

Do you have any other Canadian Expeditionary Force, CEF / Canadian subjects that you can post / or send me directly?

Can you furnish an overall description of this one ( ? ) album - how many pages, how many photos, lists(?) of identified soldiers, etc...?

Tx,

John

Toronto

Canada

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please, can anyone identify the hospital in the background of this picture? The probable date is 1916. Suggestions have been Gosport or somewhere in Ireland. The soldier on the far left is my grandfather, Private 3/3689 William Wilgose of the York & Lancaster Depot Battalion (1st). He was reported in the Manchester Courier of 5 October 1915 as wounded and taken prisoner but must have been in an exchange of prisoners as he was discharged on 17.4.16 under King’s Regulations para. 392 xvi (no longer fit for war service), due to wounds (GSW to sacrum). I have included his details in case it helps someone trace what hospital he went to.

Many thanks,

Peter

post-100603-0-46994100-1414072528_thumb.

• 4 months later...

For Terry Reeves,

We were in touch back in 2008, you sent me a staff list which has proved much use of the past few years. Have just re-registered on the forum.

Enquiring about Southam VAD 'The Grange' nr Leamington Spa, have sent you an email, hoping still the same email address as before!

Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks

Dave (Guy's Cliffe, Warwickshire)