Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in the United Kingdom

Chris_Baker

I've recently been researching the Belgian War Memorial in Southampton Old Cemetery.

The Belgian soldiers buried there were from these places:

Soutrhampton Infirmary

Allington Manor

North Stoneham House

Regents Park

Clifton House

Shirley Warren Hospital

Has anyone used any of the admission/discharge registers for Napsbury near St Albans when it was a military hospital? Supposedly in the National Archives.

Alan

I don't know about the records but have you seen this?

Dave

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/d...es/napsbury.htm

Thanks but yes. One of the pictures shown of a man in bed has been in my family for years and for a long time we thought it was my grandfather. Then I discovered that site and realised it was a just a postcard pic that an inmate could use to write home to their family.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather's military records show that he reported sick at Cambrai with trench feet on 28.11.1917. He was admitted to Cyngfeld VAD Hospital Kingsland, Shrewsbury on 3.12.1917. On 9.12.1917 he was at Auxilary Field Hospital Hatton Grange, Shifnal. From 19.12. 1917 until 26.2.1918 he was at Berrington War Hospital, Shrewsbury. Finally he was at the Command Post, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire from 4.11.1918 until 15.7.1918. Then sent back to his unit.

There is some limited information on Hatton Grange and Berrington (including a picture) on the web but I've found very little on Cyngfeld. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful. This is my first posting, so please forgive any lack of netiquette. Sheila Greiney.

Hi

i have a autographs book by patricia young of Lincluden House red cross hospital, with some 800 names in it

if i can be of help please ask.

Tony

post-2286-1173210120.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi

it seems that the 3rd Northern General Hospital was a catch-all for all these Hospitals etc.

IN THE 1914-1919 Sheffield Year Book And Record ( held in sheffield local studies. You want to see what else is in these volumes!)

3rd Northern General Hospital

( Royal Army Medical Corps, Territorial Force)

Headquarters: Colliegiate Hall ( this is on ecclesall road, sheffield,now part of the uni campus)

Officer Commanding:Lt. Colonel J.Sinclair White.

Registrar:Major A.G. Yates.

Quartermasters:Lieut. A.E.Turnell and F.C.G. Dixon.

Sergt-Major:R.Whitworth.

CENTRAL HOSPITAL

Collegiate Hall, sheffield - 454 beds equipped

Royal Infirmary, Sheffield - 133 beds equipped

Royal Hospital, sheffield - 60 beds equipped

Winter Street Hospital, Sheffield - 134 beds equipped

Carter Knowle School, Sheffield - 115 beds equipped

Greystones School, Sheffield - 150 beds equipped

Shiregreen School,Sheffield - 145 beds equipped

Lydgate Lane School,Sheffield - 130 beds equipped

Ranmoor School,Sheffield - 110 beds equipped

Western Road School,Sheffield - 70 beds equipped

Firshill School,Sheffield - 150 beds equipped ( my old school! )

Firvale Hospital,Sheffield - 520 beds equipped ( was originally the workhouse, now the northern general hospital )

Ecclesall Infirmary,Sheffield - 200 beds equipped

Oakbrook Hall,Sheffield - 51 beds equipped

Longshaw Lodge,Sheffield - 62 beds equipped

Endcliffe Hall,Sheffield - 130 beds equipped

Bramall Lane Cricket Pavilion,Sheffield - 150 beds equipped

AUXILLIARY HOSPITALS, CLASS "A"

Flounders College,Ackworth - 100 beds equipped

Red Cross Hospital,Bakewell - 60 beds equipped

Lundwood Hospital,Barnsley - 66 beds equipped

Devonshire Hospital,Buxton - 150 beds equipped

General Hospital,Chesterfield - 70 beds equipped

V.A.D Hospital,Chesterfield - 60 beds equipped

Red Cross Hospital,Cresswell - 25 beds equipped

Aston Hall,Derby - 33 beds equipped

Arnold Hospital,Doncaster - 150 beds equipped

Military Hospital,Balby,Doncaster - 400 beds equipped

Loversall Hall,Doncaster - 100 beds equipped

Normanby Park,Doncaster - 75 beds equipped

Red Cross Hospital,Dore,Sheffield - 100 beds equipped ( St Johns Church Hall, in Dore, was used as a V.A.D. Hospital during the war, so could be one and the same?

Hooton Pagell Hall,Frickley - 80 beds equipped

Red Cross Hospital,Hathersage - 37 beds equipped

Montagu Hospital,Mexborough - 40 beds equipped

Thorney Hall,Newark - 71 beds equipped

Red Cross Hospital,New Mills - 40 beds equipped

Babworth Hall,Retford - 29 beds equipped

Oakwood Hall,Rotherham - 100 beds equipped

Moorgate,Rotherham = 220 beds equipped

AUXILIARY HOSPITALS, CLASS "B"

Derby and Derbyshire Home,Matlock - 25 beds equipped

Woodfindin Home,Sheffield - 62 beds equipped

AUXILIARY HOSPITALS, GRATUITOUS

Lancaster Home,Barnsley

Willersley Hospital,Matlock

Dean

( more info to follow! )

Can I add the following to the list:

St Katharines Red Cross Hospital Wantage Opened October 10th 1914, Closed July 1916

During this time 434 patients were admitted, 359 discharged and 75 still there when it closed. There was only one death that of Pte Gabriel Kite 1st Bn Dorset Regt 20/5/1915.

Kind regards

Trevor

My grandfather lance Corporal R Barrett of the 1/4th Berkshire Regimnet was sent to Keighley Victoria Auxiliary hospital which was part of the Morton bank. The records for these are kept Keighley Reference library which should re-open in August/September this year. Another point of contact could be a Frank Atkins who is the Publicity Officer for Keighley & District Local History Society, as he done his dissertationon Morton Bank Hospital between 1914-1918.

Nick

hi

carrying on from my 24/6/07 post, i know its just background and a bit boring but i didn't want to just give you half the story so to speak.

THE WHARNECLIFFE HOSPITAL

In the spring of 1915 the South Yorkshire Asylum, Wadsley, was offered to the War Office by the Asylum's Board, for conversion into a war hospital. The asylum patients were transferred to various asylum's, and the institusion, now known as the Wharncliffe War Hospital, was handed over to the War Office on the 1st April,1915. a large number of alterations and adaptations were necessary, and these were carried out by the architect of the asylums board, and the institution clerk of works. an x-ray department has been fitted up, and also three operating theatres. all the day rooms and corriders are occupied as wards.

Miss M. Scudamore Smith, R.R.C., was recently appointed by the war office as matron, in place of Miss M.M. Bond,R.R.C. The War Office also maintained a staff of sisters and staff nurses of the Q.A.I.M.N.S. ®. The nurses who were on the staff of the institution previous to its conversion are acting as "Probationer" Nurses. The institution attendants were enlisted in the R.A.M.C. for local srevices.

The present accomodation of the hospital is 2,033 beds, and affiliated to the hospital are Middlewood Hall Auxilliary Hospital, Darfield,32 beds, and Kilton Hill Hospital, Worksop, 120 beds.

The Administrator is Lieut.-Colonel W. Vincent, R.A.M.C.

Registrar, Major E. Wickham Hore, R.A.M.C.

Chief Resident Surgeon, Major Graham S. Simpson, R.A.M.C.

Chief Resident Physician, Major J. M. Mathieson, R.A.M.C.

Resident Physician and Pathologist, Major A. E. Naish, R.A.M.C. (T).

thats all folks!

Dean

• 1 month later...

The "Michie Hospital", also known as "Queens Gate Hospital" at 184 Queens Gate London SW.

See more information under "Women in the Great War" --- "The Michie Hospital Queens Gate".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

To add to your list... I have seen a newspaper article that exempted my paternal Great Grandfather from joining up because he was a greengrocer who ran a daily wagonette for transporting the nurses to and from Winwick Hospital. It was, for many years (before and after both wars) a lunatic asylum based on the outskirts of Warrington in Cheshire (before 1974, Lancashire). Some of the dead from there were buried in the nearby church cemeteries and the municipal cemetery at Newton-le-Willows. My Gt Grandfather died in the flu pandemic in 1919 and the lunatic asylum is now called "Millionaires Row" because it is still a secure site with mansions replacing the old buildings. A few famous footballers and other celebrities now live here.

As I proof read the above, it raised a question within me. If anyone died in a "war" hospital, but were not from that area, did the relatives take them home to be buried? I ask this because there are not many military graves in Newton cemetery, just a small plot which I take it is looked after by CWGC. Over a period of time I have scoured the entire cemetery looking for my rellies - most of whom are buried in there, so I know it pretty well. Any thoughts anyone?

• 3 weeks later...
You may have seen on www.1914-1918.net that I am working on medical facilities at the moment. Although there is a lot to cover, it's actually quite easy to build up a comprehensive picture of the locations of the CCS's and hospitals in the theatres of war. But this got me thinking: I don't know of any comprehensive list to the medical facilities in Blighty.

<span style='color:blue'>How about we - the registered users of this forum - have a go at building it up, right here? General hospitals, hospitals in military barracks and camps, VAD, BRCS, St Johns Ambulance, Friends, etc etc.

</span>

Which ones do you know about? Don't be shy, stick them on here. Any of the info will be a good start. Place name, hospital name, any dates, etc.

The was one in Keighley,nr Bradford west yorks, Morten Banks hospital sadly was pulled down for housing development a few years ago but im sure i can get you a pic of it and some patients

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Have come into this discussion about 5 years too late, and apologies if you already have it in your database, but I can't see a mention of the Military Hospital Endell Street, a 573-bed RAMC hospital in London entirely run by women (1915-1919). It has been discussed a couple of times in the Women in the Great War thread.

Jennian

The three in my Great Grandfathers docs are

Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge

Military Hospital, Lewisham

The War Hosiptal, Sunderland.

Good luck with your task :)

http://webapps.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk/he...al%20Street.htm

There was a Red Cross Hospital in Aberdare during the First World War (See link)

"The Soldiers were probably resident at Windsor House in Trecynon that was used during the war as a hospital for wounded servicemen. The military hospital was opened in September 1915 by Lord Aberdare, staffed by the Red Cross there was accommodation for 60 patients. This site was originally used in as a hospital in 1875 but had been converted by the Merthyr Board of Guardians for use as an Industrial School."

My great grandfather met my great grandmother while recovering there in 1917, but I don't know much about it to be honest other than it was there!

Gareth

Guest wandering_qa

Coming VERY late to this thread but finding it fascinating! I am Unit Historian for a TA Field Hospital and have been delving into our WW1 predecessors and have found some usefull information by trawling through this thread. However, I have also just started to go through the RCN archive, the Journal of British Nursing which was published all through the war. It has a wealth of stuff but needs careful reading!

I also work in a former war hospital which was originally Minehead Town Hall but is now Minehead Community Hospital. We are due to move to a new build in the next few years but I'm trying to find out all I can about it. Can anyone help?

During a day off earlier this year I went to Welford Road Cemetery, Leicester. There is a not insubstantial CWGC located within as well as various headstones scattered around the Cemetry. There are also several Belgian memorials.

On further research and viewing this thread I have found that 5th Great Northern Hospital occupied several buildings in Leicester and North Evington. According to the research I have seen the area had 2600 beds in total and admitted more than 95000 officers and men between 1914 - 1919. 514 deaths were recorded of which 286 are interned in Welford Road.

Does anyone know if the General Hospital or Leicester Royal was the main hospital for casualties and also what other buildings in the locality were used.

I apologise for not sending this in earlier but I've only just joined the forum.

I am Unit Historian for a TA Field Hospital and have been delving into our WW1 predecessors and have found some usefull information by trawling through this thread.

I also work in a former war hospital which was originally Minehead Town Hall but is now Minehead Community Hospital. We are due to move to a new build in the next few years but I'm trying to find out all I can about it. Can anyone help?

Hi

I have quite a comprehensive list of the war and military hospitals during the Great War but do not have the Minehead Town Hall listed. I would be interested to know what information you have that states it was a hospital during the war. In return I have information on the lineage of the Territorial Force Units and may have something of interest on your unit.

It will take us off topic though, so if you are interested please feel free to email me via the forum.

Barbara

Hello Mike Parr

The main hospital, or the 'base' hospital for casualties in the 5th Northern General Hospital, Leicester region was an old County mental asylum, later to be the site of Leicester University. The location belonged to the County Council and was found in 1911 by the Territorial Force Medical Officers, whereby an agreement was formed for it to be handed over to the military in the event of a war.

When it was handed over, a labour force was brought in to demolish existing outhouses, trees ect, and four long, flat roofed brick huts were built to house the RAMC officers. Nurses and medical staff were accomodated in the main building. Later on the North Evington War Hospital, which was a poor law institute, became a section of the base hospital and on 9th May 1915, the North Evington War Hospital received it's first one hundred casualties.

The Leicester Royal Infirmary, The Knighton House Hospital and the Gilcross Hospital were three of many affiliated hospitals under the command of the Base Hospital.

I hope this helps

Barbara

Thanks very much Barbera I'll be off out around with my camera tommorrow!!

Grove House, Harrogate, North Yorkshire,

My grandfather of the 5th batt Royal Berks (enlisted 1914 Finsbury) injured at Ovillers and then sent to Potobello Barracks Dublin as Royal Defence Corps before being discharged surplus to requirements, was sent to Grove House, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, after being wounded at Ovillers shot in the arm. I found this on the web:

During the Great War (1914-1918) Grove House, along with a number of houses in the area, was used as a Hospital for troops from the Somme and Flanders.

Here is a photo of him convalescing at Harrogate (standing behind the soldier in the wheelchair)

This is a cut down photo - i have the full one with many more recovering injured.

post-25820-1191334356.jpg

A forum search for lotherton returned no hit so I assume that Lotherton Hall near Aberford, outside Leeds (East of the A1, south of the A64) has not been mentioned.

Lotherton Hall was used as a convalescent hospital and had roughly three dozen beds and saw some 500+ officers and men go through its care during the war years.

Lotherton Hall was the home of the Gascoigne family who had ties to the Coldstream Guards in both wars. I think its war service is briefly described in its website.

Nigel

Edit: Lotherton Hall was a VAD Hospital, but nothing more than this is on the website.........It has either been removed or I read it somewhere else