Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - all speakers now announced

AlanCurragh

I'd say the original numbers we had the first year - it was just perfect. However, I realise it also has to pay for itself too so probably agree with Roger 130, 150 if we absolutely have to.

I'd say the original numbers we had the first year - it was just perfect. However, I realise it also has to pay for itself too so probably agree with Roger 130, 150 if we absolutely have to.

I'd agree about the numbers. last year just slightly too many and the room got a bit too warm but too noisy with open windows. Probably not a popular view but I'd pay a little more if necessary.

The conference is now being publicized via email and leaflet - and we will likely sell out again - so please don't delay in booking your space if you want to come along

Alan

Around the 70 mark, Steve, and that is before I email previous attendees, and the conference leaflet (still in production) is distributed around WFA meetings etc.

...and in the last week numbers have gone up to 100 - so please let me know soon if you want to come along

Excellent, When looking at the optimum number, I'd agree with the 150 maximum.

Alan, I've just paid my deposit via Paypal - I'm not sure yet if I'm going to attend the dinner (what's the latest date for booking the dinner?)

Thanks Typhoon - I'll be asking for confirmation regarding dinner a few weeks or so before the conference

Alan

I attended last year and really am looking forward to this year's gathering. I'd say the room was a bit full but then that particular weekend was unseasonably warm !

If the numbers attending were limited to 150, would this cause problems re. loss of another 15 ticket sales? I agree with Centurion, in future we may have to pay more if we want to limit the number of people attending.

Thanks again for all that you are doing Alan.

Regards

Last year we had 165 or so - I'd be inclined to say that was a few too many - the room was a bit full. But interested to hear others views on the maximum practical attendance...

Numbers at 120 now so please let me now soon if you want to come to the conference

Alan

The conference is not just preceded by the visit to the Old Contemptibles, and an excellent curry for those with stamina, not just a chance to hear some excellent speakers, but also an opportunity to meet up with all, (well a few of), the members who have most annoyed you during the year, and to debate with them over a beer or few about the problems with their viewpoints. Don't miss the opportunity to put them right!

Keith

The conference is not just preceded by the visit to the Old Contemptibles, and an excellent curry for those with stamina, not just a chance to hear some excellent speakers, but also an opportunity to meet up with all, (well a few of), the members who have most annoyed you during the year, and to debate with them over a beer or few about the problems with their viewpoints. Don't miss the opportunity to put them right!

Keith

Just leave your trench clubs (fake or real) at home

Hi Forum,

I have just paid £20.00 = 2 deposits for Conference at Tally Ho 13/4/2013.

Erika and Clive Stewart will be attending.

Many Thanks

Clive

Great 'line up' this year, partic looking forward to hearing Peter H on "1914 - the French at War"

Glad I booked up early as well as I reckon it'll be sold out soon. Wish I could make it to OC's on the Friday but slightly clashes with wedding anniversary.

Andy - I know my place :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick reminder - still space available at the conference - let me know if you are interested

Thanks

Alan

Sales are running slightly slower now so now is the time to take the plunge and book up for the last seats. Every conference so far has been an absolute pleasure and a veritable highlight of the year. A chance to meet so many old pals and learn something at the same time is not to be missed.

Book your seat today....

Enthusiastic Pete

Who could possibly resist the opportunity of being ritually abused by Pete Hart?

If this years' conference is as good as the previous two, then attendance is a treat.

Bruce

(And more gratitude to Alan and Sue for all their hard work in making it all happen)

Hmmmm - as I remember it much of the abuse has been two-way old chum! How well I recall those days of yore when I used to pop into your Politics common room at Liverpool University to shoot the breeze and discuss the inter-relationship between politics and history!

Cheers,

Pete

If this years' conference is as good as the previous two, then attendance is a treat.

Thanks, but was the first one no good?!

OOps!

I meant each of the previous conferences, including the first!!!

Bruce

(just put it down to incipient senility!)

One of Ryder Haggard's African demi gods (no not She) had the ability to strike down any one thinking impious thoughts concerning her. After what happened the last time I tried to reply to one of Kim's posts in this thread I fear that she may have acquired the same capability (ever meet a guy called Quartermain?) so I will make no further comments about pints and taxis and hope to see you all there. Good that went alrig