Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - all speakers now announced

AlanCurragh

Hi Alan,

Was just going to book my place for the conference when I realised I've double-booked and will be in St Ives, Cornwall on a family holiday.

So must give my apologies for this year but hope to see you all the following year (if you have another one).

Sue

That's a shame Sue as you will not be able to sell copies of the excellent book edited by Chris Holland to which you made a significant contribution.

Hi Alan,

Was just going to book my place for the conference when I realised I've double-booked and will be in St Ives, Cornwall on a family holiday.

So must give my apologies for this year but hope to see you all the following year (if you have another one).

Sue

What do you mean, 'if'? :)

cheers Martin B

I think that we need to recognise that a conference such as ours doesn't just organise itself.

Alan and Sue must spend many hours on our behalf, booking the venue, speakers, lunch, co-ordinating our requirements for an evening meal, etc., etc. We collectively owe them both a huge debt of gratitude.

However, if Alan attempts to announce that there won't be a conference in 2014, I anticipate him being strung up by various bits of his anatomy!

Bruce

Hear, hear to all of that

cheers Martin B

I think that we need to recognise that a conference such as ours doesn't just organise itself.

Alan and Sue must spend many hours on our behalf, booking the venue, speakers, lunch, co-ordinating our requirements for an evening meal, etc., etc. We collectively owe them both a huge debt of gratitude.

However, if Alan attempts to announce that there won't be a conference in 2014, I anticipate him being strung up by various bits of his anatomy!

Bruce

Hear, hear to all of that

cheers Martin B

I see Premier Inn's room sale, launched today, covers the conference weekend - not much of a saving on Saturday night but Friday night seems cheap ?

I see Premier Inn's room sale, launched today, covers the conference weekend - not much of a saving on Saturday night but Friday night seems cheap ?

My email from Premier Inn received today says sale ends March 24. The conference, according to the first post of this thread, is in April.

cheers Martin B

Given the service he has given that would be churlish and I reckon it would be difficult to find some cord strong enough anyway

Yes....on second thoughts, since Alan has already done so much for us all, maybe some sort of gong would be in order.

I thought about Knight Commander of the Order of the Conference, but then decided that the initials might not be approved. It would also inflict Sue with a title more befitting something to do with plumbing. A Meritricious Service Award also seems unfortunately already means something else.

So how about

Thanks, Alan and Sue!

Bruce

My email from Premier Inn received today says sale ends March 24. The conference, according to the first post of this thread, is in April.

cheers Martin B

Spot on, Martin. I don't know where I got the third weekend in March from.... :whistle: as I can make the Friday night this year I booked my two nights for 12/13 April 2013 last year

Given the service he has given that would be churlish and I reckon it would be difficult to find some cord strong enough anyway

I believe the Tally Ho has some heavy duty rope put aside for emergencies!

Spot on, Martin. I don't know where I got the third weekend in March from.... :whistle: as I can make the Friday night this year I booked my two nights for 12/13 April 2013 last year

See you in the pub

See you in the pub

I understand Alan Tucker (Jack) may have trouble booking the room at The Old Contemptibles this year.........unless he uses an alias :ph34r:

You mean that is his real name????

Bruce

I understand Alan Tucker (Jack) may have trouble booking the room at The Old Contemptibles this year.........unless he uses an alias :ph34r:

I still feel the guilt but i will give it a try!

Alan I have just paid deposit for conference via paypal. Will show as Amanda Hall.

mandy

Have just paid deposit. Really looking forward to the event, speaker list and contents looks perky.

Hope I can pluck up the courage to bring along some copies of my book to sell...

Andy

Alan

I have already paid my deposit but can you kindly reserve another place for a non GWF friend of mine please. Yes, amazingly there are some people with a Great War interest not on the forum!

As they say, cheque will be in the post :)

Andy

Hi Alan,

Is there still space for 2 foreigners from Dundee to attend ?

Cheers

Bob Paterson

Wouldn't be the same without you, Bob!

Two places please - me and my mate Phil - Mrs Seany says shewill paypal tomorrow

Alan - Mrs Seany (aka Annemieke Toye) says she has just paypalled for the 2 places

At this rate you're going to need some Tardis technology to make the inside of the place bigger than the outside.