The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - all speakers now announced

AlanCurragh

Roger

Looking forward to meeting you.

Roger

Yay!!!!!! Roger's finally going :)

Simon, we are honoured to have you speak this year, do we have to call you sir from now on? :)

Hiya Kim,

Yes I'm going if you want any fig rolls smuggling in let me know LOL.

Cheers Roger.

Strangely enough Roger, a secret fig lover brings special consignments each year and leaves them for people to enjoy (strange, but true!) :lol: :lol:

Now then, are we all staying at the Premier on Hagley Road again?

In the diary.

Ding, dang, doo.

AndyR

Will be going and looking forward to it. Thanks for all you that you are doing Alan. Regards,

I've just booked two nights there - £103 in total

Scandalous I'm a tight Yorkshire man, but then again its for the room not each, how many people can you fit in one of their rooms.

I'll have to talk nice to Kath and see if she will let me loose for a couple of days.

Cheers Roger. t'other one

Yay!!!!!! Roger's finally going :)

Simon, we are honoured to have you speak this year, do we have to call you sir from now on? :)

Generally, no. But as Guinness-carrier Mk I, you may!

Having had such a ball and gained a lot at this year's conference, it is my pleasure and privilege to speak in April. Really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Simon

S'llright Simon, as well as being your Guinness-carrier (Mk I suggests you have a replacement - how very dare you!) I'll bring a pillow for you to snooze on during the breaks :D

oh, and some fig rolls :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Another speaker to announce - some of you may possibly be familiar with this gentleman -

Peter Hart - "1914 - the French at War"

See the topic header for details of securing your place via a £10 deposit

Thanks

Alan

Hi chums,

Really looking forward to this. The GWF Conference has become a highlight of the year! A good booze up with like-minded chums in the Old Contemptible on the Friday night, a flawlessly organised conference on Saturday and then a smashing feed at the dinner. What's not to like? Hooray for Alan!

Pete

Another speaker to announce - some of you may possibly be familiar with this gentleman -

Peter Hart - "1914 - the French at War"

Well, according to Google, he's "one of the world's best known windsurfers" but how that qualifies him to talk about les Francais in 1914 is beyond me...can't think of anyone else of that name it might apply to... :hypocrite:

Clive

Alan

Deposit sent, please can you put me down for the dinner as well.

Many thanks

Neil

Don't know about all but I am

I am also an Amercian political agent and a dead Irish historian! Even my US publishers fell for that one!

Pete

It's the way you tell 'em!

I thought I'd post in case anyone could be feeling a bit daunted (as I've been in the past) about getting there - especially sans vehicle. After going to the Gallipoli Association conference I realised just how easy it is...(and inexpensive!). We stayed at the Travelodge Bullring (easily walkable from New or Moor St Stns) and took either the number 45 or 47 bus (outside New St and also passes the Travelodge) to right outside Tally Ho. Ok, so we did walk into the Police Training Centre first! After the dinner - back on the bus - and all free if you have a bus pass. We booked a traIn from London to Birmingham in advance and it was around £10 each return.

It was all so good (the conference ie, the hotel just 'adequate') that we've booked the Travelodge Bullring again for the GWF conference - 2 nights at £19 per night per room. (I hope those stories about TL liquidation don't apply here). Train bookings are not open yet but I'm not thinking of more than a tenner return each.

And yes, the cheque is in the mail - deposit for two for the conference and dinner please!

Judy

(PS agreed, excellent speakers)

As a heads up I have just booked the T.Lodge Broadway Plaza for £15 a night for the period in question. Slightly non-central - good for car drivers - but close to the Tally Ho.

I know there a rumours about the financial health of this organisation but that is as cheap as chips. (a dodgy analogy now as chips not cheap at all).

Very much looking forward to April.

alan, paid for 2 x tickets as per last year,

Tony