Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

post-95958-0-47053000-1455278491_thumb.j

Talking of models at Bovington: I'm sure you are aware of this example but hope you do not mind me posting the image.

The silver Rolls Royce Armoured Car presented to Cdr. Locker-Lampson at the reunion dinner of his RNAS Armoured Car Squadrons held in 1919.

On my last visit I found the model is no longer on display and now kept in secure storage. Disappointing - but understandable I suppose!

post-95958-0-99355400-1455280280_thumb.j

Another image of an armoured car from my Grandfather's unit.

His handwritten note on the reverse side identifies the crew members as (from L to R) Colbourne, Mcfarlane, Wood (or Hood - not sure if the first letter is a 'W' or an 'H'?) and Jocky Watson.

More images.....an informal postcard this time. (Left to right) my grandfather PO (M) Richard Rogers with PO (M) Charlie Bolton.

Presumably the Bolton killed in action in the defence of Baku during the Dunsterforce campaign.

post-95958-0-53328100-1455281018_thumb.j

Another interesting topic, armoured cars.

Many (!) years ago as token of thanks to all the help I had been given by the Tank Museum Bovington, I made a series of 1/32nd scale models showing the development of British WW1 armoured cars, I have the letter of thanks but have never seen them displayed !!

George.

George,

Very interesting, do you still have any photographs of the set ?

Regards,

LF

Taking a look back at #4436 I note the timber structure at the bottom of the photo. It's constructed from stout timbers of a type that have been found on the top of slit trenches leading out to machine gun posts etc. Due to the shape of the structure I'm thinking that might just be an exit from a German dug-out? It would be fascinating if an old trench map of the location could confirm.

David

David,

I am sure you are correct, as Bourlon Wood which is just some 3-4 miles West of Cambai, was in German hands for all of WW1, it was occupied by the Germans in 1914 and apart from a short period at the end of 1917 during the Battle of Cambrai when part of Bourlon Wood was captured by the British ( Guards Div mainly ) for a short time, it was not completely taken from the German until 27th September, 1918 when the Canadians pushed the Germans North and Bourlon Wood was completely captured by the Allies.

So from the Autumn of 1914 to the Autumn of 1918, the Germans would have had plenty of time to construct some elaborate fortifications in Bourlon Wood, part of which you spotted.

Regards,

LF

That seems to be the way these days. More stuff in storage somewhere than on display.

johnboy,

Unfortunately so, an excellent example of which is the Bovington model of the Locker-Lampson Roll-Royce Armoured Car presentation piece Nelson just posted # 4576, this being the first time I have ever seen that superb item.

I hope it is not sitting on someone's desk at Bovington, it needs to be on display for everyone to see and enjoy.

Regards,

LF

I have attached a small contribution of my own. My Grandfather during his service in the RNAS Armoured Cars but astride a motorcycle. Any idea what type of motorcycle?

Nelson1805,

From my own bayonet collection, here is the same type of Pattern 1888 Bayonet and scabbard your Grandfather is carrying, and what is also very interesting is his bayonet's scabbard, which is the much rarer version with the integral frog also shown here.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-53350000-1455285459_thumb.j

Talking of models at Bovington: I'm sure you are aware of this example but hope you do not mind me posting the image.

Nelson1805,

Many thanks for posting this photograph of that magnificent Locker-Lampson presentation piece, superb !

Regards,

LF

I have attached a small contribution of my own. My Grandfather during his service in the RNAS Armoured Cars but astride a motorcycle. Any idea what type of motorcycle?

Nelson1805,

With reference to your Grandfather's RNAS Armoured Car Section's ' Douglas ' motorcycle, here is a nice photograph of an RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section ) Unit with their ' Seabrook ' Armoured Car which is armed with a Vickers 3 Pdr. Semi-Automatic Gun, and the RNAS Unit's 2 Despatch Riders are both issued with ' Douglas ' motorcycles.

This photograph, was taken near Ypres ( West Flanders ) early in WW1.

Regards,

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-39499300-1455289156_thumb.j

Two photographs showing a newly shipped ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine in it's wooden shipping crate, the base of which was retained and used to store the engine on the floor of the Tank Corps Depot.

In the first photograph, we can see the shipping crate is marked ' L G & S Ltd ' standing for L. Gardner & Sons Ltd., of Barton Hall Engine Works, Patricourt, Manchester, who were one of the main ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine manufacturers.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-44543900-1455369070_thumb.j

A nicely detailed 3/4 view of the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine made by L. Gardner & Sons Ltd., of Manchester, sitting in the base of it's wooden shipping crate.

Note the lugs attached to the base of the engine, which are bolted into the top edge of the wooden shipping crate's base to secure the engine during shipping.

LF

post-63666-0-25917100-1455369724_thumb.j

More images.....an informal postcard this time. (Left to right) my grandfather PO (M) Richard Rogers with PO (M) Charlie Bolton.

Presumably the Bolton killed in action in the defence of Baku during the Dunsterforce campaign.

Nelson1805,

Thank you for posting two more excellent photographs of your Grandfather, and yes, there is a ' Serjeant C. Bolton ' along with a ' Lance Corporal T.M. Wrenall ' both of the Machine Gun Corps ( Motors ) who were both killed in action :poppy: presumably during the Battle of Baku, and who are commemorated on the British War Memorial at Azerbaijan.

Attached is a photograph, showing both men's names on the ' Baku ' memorial.

And for those interested in the Battle of Baku, back on 19th July, 2014 I posted a series of posts with information and photographs regarding the fighting in and around Baku, here is the link starting with post # 2153 :-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173218&page=87

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-67041400-1455371013_thumb.j

The British War Memorial at Azerbaijan, which shows the names of those killed at the Battle of Baku.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-12938400-1455371589_thumb.j

George,

Very interesting, do you still have any photographs of the set ?

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

Unfortunately nothing was photographed, they were made pre digital era and with my old "steam camera", it took ages to get photos developed. I am currently trying to find the receipt from Bovington that listed the collection, but off the top of my head there was:

Lanchester A/C

All three types of Austin MkI II and III

A Seabrook lorry as in these earlier posts

A Ford Model T modified with the rear end rounded and Vickers MG...the type used in Russia by Samsons force.

A Jeffrey Quad.

As memory goes that is all I can remember.

George.

Hi LF,

Unfortunately nothing was photographed, they were made pre digital era and with my old "steam camera", it took ages to get photos developed. I am currently trying to find the receipt from Bovington that listed the collection, but off the top of my head there was:

George,

Hopefully, you will be able to find the Bovington receipt for what sounds like a superb set of models, and who knows, Bovington may be able to provide you with a photograph of your set ?

Regards,

LF

A photograph of the funeral of some of the men killed during the fighting in and around Baku.

Other photographs of the funerals, and information on the Battle of Baku are available via the link shown in post # 4587.

LF

post-63666-0-79342500-1455375794_thumb.j

A trade advertisement for L. Gardner & Sons Ltd., Barton Hall Engine Works, Patricourt, Manchester, one of the main manufacturers of the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine.

LF

post-63666-0-37256000-1455380642_thumb.j

A lot of modern day lorries were fitted with Gardener diesel engines Atkinson, Foden and ERF to name a couple.

A lot of modern day lorries were fitted with Gardener diesel engines Atkinson, Foden and ERF to name a couple.

Gardner's stopped making engines around 1998, and ceased trading in 2004.

At one time, it was estimated that 90% of British buses had a ' Gardner ' engine, with their 6LX engine being highly rated.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-25863000-1455391070_thumb.j

Lawrence Gardner, born in Liverpool in 1840, founded L. Gardner & Sons Ltd., in Duke Street, Manchester in 1868, and he died in Manchester in 1890, aged just 50 years.

LF

post-63666-0-61579600-1455391427_thumb.j

Just catching up and as normal top stuff from all posters. History in the making for the thread itself!

With the dispatch rider and bayonet, at some time doctrine must of changed! Signals types do not carry such a thing as it tends to get in the way. I wonder if this was changed inter war. Great photo to look at though.

With the dispatch rider and bayonet, at some time doctrine must of changed! Signals types do not carry such a thing as it tends to get in the way. I wonder if this was changed inter war. Great photo to look at though.

Scalyback,

From the uniform and the Pattern 1888 bayonet shown being worn by Nelson1805's Grandfather, that is an early WW1 photograph, and as far as the motorcyclists attached to an RNAS Armoured Car Section's ' Seabrook ' mobile unit were concerned, they were still an integral part of the Seabrook's mobile fighting force, and when the Seabrook went into action, if the motorcyclists was not specifically needed for ' Despatch ' duties, they would have joined in the fight with the rest of the Seabrook's crew, and all members of the mobile unit would have been armed accordingly, including the motorcyclists, with the Pattern 1888 bayonet being standard issue for the early RNAS crews.

The arming of Despatch riders with rifles early in WW1 was not unique to the RNAS, I have seen photographs of British Army Despatch Riders armed with rifles, and probably matching bayonets, however, as the war progressed and the Despatch Riders took on specific duties of that of a ' Signaller ', the carrying of rifles and bayonets ceased, although many Despatch Riders still carried revolvers.

In this first photograph, which is posed to show the Seabrook's crew, we see RNAS crew members aboard the Seabrook carrying the Pattern 1888 bayonet as was usual, however, the Seabrook's motorcyclist is also carrying an SMLE rifle. As the Pattern 1888 bayonet does not fit an SMLE rifle, I assume they may have also had some Pattern 1907 bayonets on board.

Again, the RNAS motorcyclist is riding a ' Douglas '.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-72430600-1455459682_thumb.j

In this early WW1 sepia photograph, we can see the crew of an RNAS Armoured Car Section aboard their ' Seabrook ' Armoured Car at ' Action Stations' with their Vickers 3 Pdr. Semi-Automatic Gun, with the sides of the Seabrook having been dropped to form part of the Gun's firing platform, and again, we can see a crew member armed with a Pattern 1888 bayonet.

Also, note the double shoulder strap leather belts worn by RNAS Armoured Car Section crews

LF

post-63666-0-73163000-1455460288_thumb.j

Commander Oliver Stillingfleet Locker-Lampson, CMG., D.S.O. ( 25th September 1880 - 3rd October 1954 ), commanded the RNAS Armoured Car Section.

LF

An early WW1 photograph taken in France, showing a group of Army Despatch Riders on ' Douglas ' motorcycles, armed with SMLE rifles.

LF

post-63666-0-93605300-1455475023_thumb.j