Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

An excellent detailed view of the interior of a Mark V Tank, showing the design and positioning of the ' Ricardo ' 150 hp. engine.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07326100-1454769690_thumb.j

This photograph, taken in the Spring of 1918, shows the Tank Engine and Parts store-room at the Tank Corps' Central Depot at Erin, a village located 2 miles north of the Heavy Branch's HQ at Bermicourt, and some 28 miles N.W. of Arras, in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of Northern France.
The store-room is packed with large quantities of newly arrived ' Ricardo ' 150 hp Tank Engines, which are to be used in the new Mark V Tank, with many of the engines still sitting in the bottom halves of their wooden shipping crates.
Also of note, the gantry for the overhead crane used to hoist engines from the store-room floor, and also the track and wagon for the light-rail system used to transport the engines to and from the store-room, and in this photograph, a 150 hp ' Ricardo ' engine has been loaded into the light-rail wagon.
LF
This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-63939800-1454848842_thumb.j

In addition to the storage and distribution of Tank engines and their spare parts at the Tank Corps' Depots, there was also the very important work of repairing, maintaining and servicing the Tank's engines.

This 1918 photograph shows the repair-shop at one of the Tank Corp's main depots, where mechanics are busy working on numerous Tank engines, including the ' Ricardo ' 6-cylinder 150 hp Mark V Tank engines.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-38001000-1454863565_thumb.j

A ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine being transported within the Tank Corp Depot, via the Depot's W^D light rail system.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-98645100-1454948159_thumb.j

Although Harry Ricardo designed the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine, with his 150 hp 6-cylinder engine first being fitted in the Mark V Tank, the manufacturing of the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engines was sub-contracted, with the two main sub-contractors being Crossley Bros. Ltd., and L. Gardner & Son Ltd., both of Manchester.

Attached are photographs taken at both Crossley's and Gardner's factories, which show the large scale production of the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engines.

The first photograph, shows ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine production at L. Gardner & Son Ltd., in Manchester.

LF

post-63666-0-15832300-1455031921_thumb.j

Fantastic stuff....I love these factory and workshop photo's. This site just keeps getting better.

Thanks.

George.

Fantastic stuff....I love these factory and workshop photo's. This site just keeps getting better.

Thanks George, the backroom boys were not considered as illustrious as those on the front line, but they were extremely important to the final victory.

There are some more photographs coming up, which I know you will find interesting.

Regards,

LF

Here is one of the workshops working on Holt tractors, this helped me a lot during the research for details to make the model.

George [Modelmaker]

post-111198-0-68001000-1455110332_thumb.

Here is one of the workshops working on Holt tractors, this helped me a lot during the research for details to make the model.

George [Modelmaker]

George,

An excellent photograph showing details of the Holt chassis, do you know where it was taken ?

Regards,

LF

This photograph, shows the ' Ricardo ' Tank Engine manufacturing shop floor as Crossley Bros' Manchester factory.

LF

post-63666-0-03696100-1455115886_thumb.j

George,

An excellent photograph showing details of the Holt chassis, do you know where it was taken ?

Regards,

LF

I will check on the location, nothing to hand at the moment...but I am sure the various depots are listed in the ASC book.....there was one specifically set up for "tractors".

George.

I will check on the location, nothing to hand at the moment...but I am sure the various depots are listed in the ASC book.....there was one specifically set up for "tractors".

George.

I had a look at the book on ASC, the location is probably No 2 MT workshop in Rouen. They dealt with MT and traction engines.

George.

I had a look at the book on ASC, the location is probably No 2 MT workshop in Rouen. They dealt with MT and traction engines.

George.

Yes, there was a large ASC. Motor Transport Depot at Rouen.

Regards,

LF

Returning momentarily to #4436 posted back on January 5, whilst looking through some photographs, I noticed a detailed photograph of a badly damaged Tank, which I now know to be that of the Mark IV Male Tank ' F6 - Feu d'artificer ' which along with ' G21 - Grasshopper II ', were knocked out and destroyed in Bourlon Wood during November 1917.

This new photograph, taken from a completely different angle, shows a much clearer view of the extensive damage caused to ' F6 - Feu d'artificer '.

LF

post-63666-0-49477400-1455203719_thumb.j

I have enjoyed perusing this fascinating thread and particularly relating to the development of armoured cars.

I have attached a small contribution of my own. My Grandfather during his service in the RNAS Armoured Cars but astride a motorcycle. Any idea what type of motorcycle?

I have some other images of him with various Armoured cars which I will add later.

post-95958-0-75512100-1455212100_thumb.j

I have enjoyed perusing this fascinating thread and particularly relating to the development of armoured cars.

I have attached a small contribution of my own. My Grandfather during his service in the RNAS Armoured Cars but astride a motorcycle. Any idea what type of motorcycle?

I have some other images of him with various Armoured cars which I will add later.

Nelson1805,

That is a wonderful WW1 photograph, especially being of your own Grandfather.

His motorcycle is a ' Douglas ', which along with the ' Triumph ' motorcycle, were the two types most commonly used by the military.

Also of note, is your Grandfather is carrying a Pattern 1888 bayonet as opposed to the later Pattern 1903 or 1907 bayonets, and he is also wearing the RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service, Armoured Car Section ) collar badges,

We look forward to seeing some more of your Grandfather's photographs.

Regards,

LF

Nelson1805,

Here is a clearer complete view of the ' Douglas ' motorcycle your Grandfather is riding.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-98405900-1455217480_thumb.j

The RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section ) collar badge your Grandfather is wearing on each lapel.

LF

post-63666-0-94658000-1455218418_thumb.j

Taking a look back at #4436 I note the timber structure at the bottom of the photo. It's constructed from stout timbers of a type that have been found on the top of slit trenches leading out to machine gun posts etc. Due to the shape of the structure I'm thinking that might just be an exit from a German dug-out? It would be fascinating if an old trench map of the location could confirm.

David

The RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section ) collar badge your Grandfather is wearing on each lapel.

LF

Many thanks for confirming the identity of the Douglas motorcycle LF. Great image. I forgot to mention that I suspect the image on the motorcycle is probably from early in 1915.

I have a couple of the distinctive lapel badges among his memorabilia and papers, although I fear these may be replicas.

I have previously posted re my Grandfather's service in both the RNAS 'Russian Armoured Cars' and later in the MGC / Dunsterforce on the Eastern and Middle Eastern threads respectively. However I have only just read through most of your thread in this area of the GWF and hope you don't mind me posting a few images re. vehicles and equipment.

I have attached an image of him (extreme left) with colleagues and what might be a twin turret armoured car - possibly an Austin? From the uniforms (and his less youthful appearance) presume this is from the Dunsterforce expedition in 1918?

Regards

Nelson1805

post-95958-0-16916100-1455222521_thumb.j

Many thanks for confirming the identity of the Douglas motorcycle LF. Great image. I forgot to mention that I suspect the image on the motorcycle is probably from early in 1915.

I have a couple of the distinctive lapel badges among his memorabilia and papers, although I fear these may be replicas.

I have previously posted re my Grandfather's service in both the RNAS 'Russian Armoured Cars' and later in the MGC / Dunsterforce on the Eastern and Middle Eastern threads respectively. However I have only just read through most of your thread in this area of the GWF and hope you don't mind me posting a few images re. vehicles and equipment.

I have attached an image of him (extreme left) with colleagues and what might be a twin turret armoured car - possibly an Austin? From the uniforms (and his less youthful appearance) presume this is from the Dunsterforce expedition in 1918?

Regards

Nelson1805

Further to my previous post here is another image of the same twin turret armoured car identified as 'Aylesbury II'. I'm afraid the image quality isn't brilliant.

Sorry I haven't got the hang of compressing images so they fit into a single post, so please bear with me.

post-95958-0-79691700-1455224329_thumb.j

Sorry I haven't got the hang of compressing images so they fit into a single post, so please bear with me.

Nelson1895,

Hopefully, as the RNAS collar badges are with your Grandfather's papers etc., they may be original.

As to your posting photographs, please do, we shall all be delighted to see them, and those you have posted so far are superb, and it is probably the first time any of us have seen them, which is always interesting.

Please do not worry about the size of your photographs, they are perfect, and I actually prefer to see one photograph per post, as that makes them that much easier to view and recall by their individual post number.

We look forward to seeing more of your Grandfather's unique photographs.

Regards,

LF

I have attached an image of him (extreme left) with colleagues and what might be a twin turret armoured car - possibly an Austin?

Nelson1805,

Yes, definitely an Austin Armoured Car, 3rd Series.

Had it been the later Austin Model 1918, amongst other features, it would have had double sets of rear wheels.

Regards,

LF

Another interesting topic, armoured cars.

Many (!) years ago as token of thanks to all the help I had been given by the Tank Museum Bovington, I made a series of 1/32nd scale models showing the development of British WW1 armoured cars, I have the letter of thanks but have never seen them displayed !!

George.

That seems to be the way these days. More stuff in storage somewhere than on display.