Lancashire Fusilier

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Uncle George

Lancs,

Rear of card, can anyone decipher?

Mike.

Name: F Lofthouse?

See his 'F' in 'BEF'.

post-108430-0-28289300-1455724572_thumb.

post-108430-0-23000700-1455725021_thumb.

Lancashire Fusilier

Name: F Lofthouse?

See his 'F' in 'BEF'.

Uncle George,

Great research, I am sure Mike, the post card's owner, will be delighted with your information.

Regards,

LF

MikeyH

Uncle George and Lancs,

Yes, great work, have had that card for more than 40 years, picked up on a junk stall on Wigan Market. The motorcycling historian and writer the late Bob Currie, identified the motorcycle as a 2-1/2 h.p. Triumph many years ago. But the despatch riders name has always eluded me, now looking at it again can clearly see 'Lofthouse'.

Wonder how he earned his Meritorious Service Medal?

Very many thanks,

Mike.

Lancashire Fusilier

have had that card for more than 40 years, picked up on a junk stall on Wigan Market.

Wonder how he earned his Meritorious Service Medal?

Mike,

Pleased you got your card's information after 40 years, as far as his award of the Meritorious Service Medal, that information may show in the War Diary for the A.S.C.'s 3rd Ammuntion Park ?

Regards,

LF

Lancashire Fusilier

In this rare and interesting photograph, we again see evidence of the wide area covered by the Royal Naval Air Service ( RNAS ) Armoured Car Expeditionary Force in the Caucasus Campaign 1916, with one of the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's Pierce-Arrow Armoured Cars photographed in the town of Galatz ( Galati ) in S.E. Romania.

It is known, that the RNAS' Armoured Cars fought alongside the White Russians against the Bulgarians, in this part of Romania in late 1916.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-33861100-1455804738_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

Another good identification feature on a ' Triumph ' motorcycle, was the outward curl of the bottom end of the front mudguard.

LF

post-63666-0-37822800-1455808225_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

This photograph, taken of an ' RNAS Armoured Car Expeditionary Force in the Caucasus ' transport convoy taking a rest stop as it makes it's way through the Caucasus region, shows some of the vehicles used by Locker-Lampson's RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division, which for this particular convoy, included several Lanchester Armoured Cars, various GS ( General Service ) lorries, and several ' Douglas ' motorcycles ( at least 3 ).

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-24574400-1455890450_thumb.j

Nelson1805

In this rare and interesting photograph, we again see evidence of the wide area covered by the Royal Naval Air Service ( RNAS ) Armoured Car Expeditionary Force in the Caucasus Campaign 1916, with one of the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's Pierce-Arrow Armoured Cars photographed in the town of Galatz ( Galati ) in S.E. Romania.

It is known, that the RNAS' Armoured Cars fought alongside the White Russians against the Bulgarians, in this part of Romania in late 1916.

LF

LF

Thank you posting the above image.

I have attached a small image from my Grandfather's collection which appears to be taken in the same street, albeit a short distance and to the right from yours - as the buildings in the background appear identical?

Unfortunately the armoured car is only half into the image.

Nelson1805

post-95958-0-41374500-1455899352_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

I have attached a small image from my Grandfather's collection which appears to be taken in the same street, albeit a short distance and to the right from yours - as the buildings in the background appear identical?

Unfortunately the armoured car is only half into the image.

Nelson1805,

Many thanks for the photograph, and yes, your Grandfather's photograph matches with the Galatz street scene shown in post #4630 the very last block of buildings on the far right.

Based on the position of the Armoured Car's headlights and other front-end features, that is an RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's ' Lanchester ' rather than a ' Pierce-Arrow '.

I am pleased that we can place your Granfather in Galatz, S.E. Romania during WW1.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-06228100-1455902268_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

With reference to the ' Galatz ' photograph shown in detail in the previous post, it is possible that the soldiers shown standing in the middle of the photograph, may indeed be from the British RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division, as due to the severe winter climate in the Caucasus region, the men of the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division did wear the Russian ' Cossak ' style fur hats, as can be seen in the attached photograph of men the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division on parade in Russia wearing such hats.

LF

post-63666-0-82229700-1455903654_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

This 1916 photograph taken near Serengeti ( German East Africa ) shows RNAS Armoured Car Division's Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars, and also the ubiquitous ' Douglas ' motorcycle.

It is also interesting to note that the RNAS Despatch Rider is carrying the ' Navy ' style Cartridge Pouch with it's distinctive row of 6 x .455 cartridge loops sewn to the front flap.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-99820000-1455976331_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

From my own Collection, here is an example of the ' Navy ' style Cartridge Pouch as seen in the previous post, with it's distinctive row of 6 x .455 cartridge loops sewn to the front flap.

This particular Cartridge Pouch, was made by James Dawson & Son Ltd., of Beevor Street, Lincoln, and is dated 1918.

LF

post-63666-0-45043100-1455976737_thumb.j

post-63666-0-23864000-1455976846_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

From the .303 Bandolier and the .455 Cartridge Pouch, the Despatch Rider in post # 4636 was armed with both a rifle and a revolver, and I am not sure if that is his rifle attached to the side of his ' Douglas ' motorcycle ?

LF

Lancashire Fusilier
The RNAS' Pierce-Arrow Armoured Lorry :

As I sift through the thousands of WW1 images I have accumulated over the years, I am constantly looking for interesting photographs relating to the topics being covered in this Thread, and I was delighted to discover this very interesting photograph of what I believe is a rarely seen RNAS Pierce-Arrow Armoured Lorry.

It is known that included in the Russian Armoured Car Division's vehicle inventory were 3 specially manufactured Armoured Lorries built on the American Pierce-Arrow 5-ton truck chassis, which had already gained an excellent reputation both with the Royal Navy as a General Service Lorry and also with the Royal Marines as an armoured anti-aircraft truck.

This photograph was taken from onboard a Ship docked at Newport Docks, Monmouthshire, during the loading of R.N.A.S. ( Royal Naval Air Service ) vehicles onto the ship, and shows a vehicle fixed to a crane hoist, clearly marked RNAS, which appears to be one of the RNAS' 3 Armoured Lorries, having louvered viewing panels fitted to the sides and front of the cab.

The rear of the vehicle behind the armoured cab, looks to be an open area, with a metal frame for a tarpaulin cover.

The wheels are all wire spoked, including a fitted spare-wheel.

The three RNAS Armoured Lorries were given the names of ' Mountjoy ', ' Londonderry ' and ' Ulster '. With one of the armoured lorries ' Ulster ' being different in design, with a more heavily armoured body than the other two lorries, with all three armoured lorries having the ability to be fitted with a 3-pounder Gun if needed.

It is reported that like the RNAS' Seabrook Armoured Cars, the designs for the Armoured Lorries were by W.G. Allen & Sons of Tipton, Staffordshire, and as the completed Armoured Lorries were being shipped from Newport, it may have been that some of the lorries' metal fabrication was again completed at the Newport shipyard of John Shearman & Co.

At the bottom of the photograph is another RNAS Armoured Lorry awaiting loading, which may indicate that this shipment from Newport, was for the RNAS' 3 Pierce-Arrow Armoured Lorries.

A great photograph, of the very rarely seen RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's Pierce-Arrow Armoured Lorries.

LF

post-63666-0-98146100-1456068341_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

A closer look at the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's Pierce-Arrow Armoured Lorry.

LF

post-63666-0-07685700-1456069820_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service ( RNAS ) Russian Armoured Car Division, with one of their ' Lanchester ' Armoured Cars somewhere on the Eastern Front.

LF

post-63666-0-19137300-1456157615_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

Again showing the vast areas of the Eastern Front covered by the RNAS' Russian Armoured Car Division, this next series of three photographs shows the crew of one of the RNAS' Russian Armoured Car Division's Lanchester Armoured Cars operating in ' Galicia ' ( formerly territory in S. Poland/W. Ukraine ) extricating their ' Lanchester ' Armoured Car from the Galician mud.

These photographs taken during the ' Kerensky Offensive ' in the Summer of 1917, provide lots of details of the Lanchester Armoured Car, the crew's uniforms ( particularly the Officer's raincoat ), this Lanchester's Lewis machine gun, the Lanchester's wheel chains, and the duck-board used to try to free the Lanchester.

The first photograph shows the start of the extraction process, with Lanchester's Lewis machine gun still in the Armoured Car ( it was later removed ), also in the photograph is a wounded Russian soldier.

LF

post-63666-0-98746600-1456236570_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

As the attempts to free the ' Lanchester ' Armoured Car continue, as was the procedure with stricken Armoured Cars, the vehicle's Lewis machine gun has been removed from the turret, in case the vehicle has to be abandoned and also for the defence of the stricken vehicle's crew.

LF

post-63666-0-30380300-1456237057_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

Eventually, and with the arrival of a lorry to pull the Lanchester Armoured Car from the mud, the crew can take a well deserved tea-break, while the RNAS Officer chats with the wounded Russian soldier.

This photograph, provides excellent details of the Officer's raincoat and peak cap.

LF

post-63666-0-52777900-1456237549_thumb.j

Lancashire Fusilier

This interesting photograph shows RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division medical orderlies, along with the French made ' Latil ' Ambulance.

Note the Ambulance's very unusual ' Porthole ' windows, and the petrol cans stored on the Driver's cab canopy.

This photograph, was taken somewhere in Turkey during 1916.

LF

post-63666-0-48415900-1456328391_thumb.j

Nelson1805

LF,

Many thanks for continuing to post the excellent images of the RNAS Armoured Cars and associated matters.

I notice that the IWM website mentions other collections of images in their possession that are not yet online. For example images from: WE Lockie, RW Morrell and HJ Ireland.

Most especially from Lieut. Cdr. William Wells-Hood - as the latter was my Grandfather's C.O., so of particular interest to me.

I am curious to see these images and documents so think I will have to visit the IWM archive to inspect these in person.

I'm also minded to visit the Liddle Collection at Leeds to see what is available there.

David Fletcher published several interesting images depicting the development of Lanchester armoured cars in the October 2015 issue of Classic Military Vehicle magazine.

I can also commend the images available for viewing elsewhere online in the diaries / memoirs of former RNAS and Dunsterforce personnel Tom Garner and brothers Alf & Joe Ireland.

A precis of Tom Garner's diaries together with some images were recently published on line by his local community at Olney in Buckinghamshire

'Alf & Joe and Locker-Lampson's Armoured Cars' is an electronic publication that I can only find on i-books, so exclusively within Apple's protective cloak, but containing interesting images and well worth reading for those with an interest, especially as the family had a motorcycle and car business before and after WW1.

I have several more of my Grandfather's images although these are less relevant to the specific subject of this thread / area of the GWF.

I also have access to other collections of images that were originally shared with me many years ago for personal interest and am uncertain whether it is appropriate to post them online. I will investigate.

Forgive me for using this post to ask if anyone knows of any other sources of information and images then please do share this. The stories of the RNAS Armoured Cars on the Eastern front and Dunsterforce on the Middle Eastern front are worth preserving and sharing among descendants of the personnel and for those with a particular technical / historical interest. My late Grandfather's two surviving sons are both in their 90's but still very curious to know more of their father's exploits - and are amazed at occasional revelations from the internet, many years after the thought the information had well and truly dried up. It is so wonderful to discover new findings and / or images to share these with them while we still can.

Incidentally my Grandfather served with the RNAS Armoured Cars on both Western and Eastern fronts during 1915-18, then with many of his colleagues were transferred en-mass to the Army Machine Gun Corps (Motors) ahead of the Dunsterforce expedition to the Middle Eastern front in 1918/19. He later served in the RAF during WWII........ Interestingly he later (unsuccessfully) applied for a job at the Atomic Research establishment at Aldermaston. Despite having a decent record serving King and Country across the globe, he suspected that he was declined because he had spent 2-3 years in Russia, especially during the Bolshevik revolution!

Lancashire Fusilier

I have several more of my Grandfather's images although these are less relevant to the specific subject of this thread / area of the GWF.

I also have access to other collections of images that were originally shared with me many years ago for personal interest and am uncertain whether it is appropriate to post them online. I will investigate.

Nelson1805,

Your Grandfather obviously had a very interesting WW1 experience, and it is nice to see you taking such a strong interest in his service life, and as I look through the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division photographs, I wonder if they may actually include your Grandfather.

Any other photographs you may have regarding the RNAS Armoured Car Division and or their vehicles, would be of interest.

Regards,

LF

Lancashire Fusilier

Another photograph of the RNAS Russian Armoured Car Division's French made ' Latil ' Ambulance, this time photographed in Armenia, which again shows the extent of the vast area covered by the RNAS Armoured Car Expeditionary Force in the Caucasus.

LF

post-63666-0-87092500-1456409371_thumb.j

trajan

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service ( RNAS ) Russian Armoured Car Division, with one of their ' Lanchester ' Armoured Cars somewhere on the Eastern Front.

How did the chappie on the right get in?! He looks around 6ft+...

Lancashire Fusilier

How did the chappie on the right get in?! He looks around 6ft+...

Trajan,

It would have been a tight fit ! however it clearly worked despite his height.

The Lanchester Armoured Car had a crew of 3 or 4 men, with up to 2 men in the front driver's cab, and up to 2 men in the rear turret.

As with WW1 Tanks, for the Armoured Car's crew it was hot, noisy and cramped, however, if you look at their faces and read their stories, they coped, did their duty, and often seemed to enjoy the excitement of life with the Armoured Car Division.

Attached are two photographs, which give a good idea of the Lanchester Armoured Car's interior proportions.

Regards,

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-43054900-1456415814_thumb.j