WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

11 minutes ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Note the sign in the background 'Hotel Clutch and Gearbox'

Easily missed.

image.png.b2bd04db9b4c190543499aa0dea98fbf.png

• 1 year later...
On 12/01/2016 at 11:10, Lancashire Fusilier said:

A nice series of coloured photographs showing details of the Imperial War Museum's German 1917 lighter portable Flamethrower the ' Wechselapparat ' or ' Wex ' Flammenwerfer.

The first two photographs show the complete ' Wex ' front and back.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-49034000-1452607836_thumb.j

post-63666-0-12530700-1452607853_thumb.j

There Is any blueprint or schematic to know approximately the size of each part?  im searching a lot to recreate and at least get the same view of it

• 5 months later...

I am trying to establish more background related to the intended allocation of the Canadian Packard Armoured Car for use by the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery. Might anyone have more information on this topic area? The cap badge for the original members of the Borden's Armoured Battery (later the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery) features a Packard Armoured Car. However; the Borden Battery was later never issued with any armoured cars.

Some of my draft background notes on the topic are summarized below. Might any members have any further information to offer?

Borden Battery

The Borden’s Armoured Battery began with the appointment of Major E. J. Holland VC on or about 1 November 1914. The Battery was recruited in Montreal, Quebec beginning in December 1914 and formally organized under General Order 86 of 1 July 1915; although earlier actions appear to been initiated as early as 15 September 1914 and likely included several meetings and discussions with able-bodied men in the Cobalt-Temiskaming-Haileybury silver mining region in north-east Ontario and near the Quebec border. In addition, parallel actions may also have occurred in Montreal and Ottawa in the Fall of 1914.

Originally, six (6) Packard Armoured Cars were to be manufactured for the Borden Battery in 1914-1915; however, for whatever reason, the Governor-General of Canada, a son of Queen Victoria, may have blocked their distribution to the Borden Battery even though their purchase was approved by the Canadian Cabinet. The Canadian Packard Armoured Car is featured on the Borden Battery badge collar badges and cap badge.

In a related manner, approximately forty (40) armoured cars, believed to have been Jeffery-Russel armoured cars were built in Canada, of which several were thought to have been bought and paid for from venture capital from the Canadian retail magnate Sir John “Jack” Craig Eaton. A number of these armoured cars were intended for the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery. Sir John C. Eaton’s hobby in the years prior to 1905 was driving racing cars; notably Packards, and this might explain the other possible association with the Packard Armoured Cars of 1914-15.

These Eaton cars were purportedly intercepted in England, allotted to warehouse by the British until 1917 and later some and/or all were forwarded to India but with all spare parts lost at sea from a torpedo sinking. None of the Jeffery-Russel armoured cars were ever allotted to the Eaton Battery. The Borden Battery’s intended Canadian Packard Armoured Cars, if transferred overseas, may have been later allocated to Ireland. This whole episode warrants more research.

• 3 months later...
On 08/10/2016 at 22:50, Lancashire Fusilier said:
For his brave and daring sea rescue of a Royal Navy Seaman who fell overboard whilst being transferred from the stricken HMS Warrior to HMS Engadine, during the Battle of Jutland, Lt. F. Rutland was awarded the rare Gold Albert Medal, and was one of only 26 recipient's of the award for lifesaving at sea.

The rarely awarded Albert Medal for Lifesaving was instituted on 7th March 1866, and the First Class Gold Albert Medal was created in 1867, along with a Second Class Bronze Albert Medal.

The Gold Albert Medal of which only 71 were awarded ( 26 Sea and 45 Land ) was abolished in 1949 and replaced by the George Cross.

Following Rutland's arrest and internment in Brixton Prison as an enemy collaborator during WW2, I assume his medals, including his Distinguished Service Cross and his Gold Albert Medal, both awarded to Lt. Rutland within a 24 hour period during the Battle of Jutland, were probably withdrawn and their award annulled.

Attached is a photograph of the rare Gold Albert Medal ( obverse and reverse ), and also a copy of Lt. F. Rutland's Gold Albert Medal Citation published in the London Gazette on 11th August 1916.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Rutland Albert Medal First Class obv rev use.jpg

Would there be somewhere, do you know, to find out if Rutland's awards were annulled or something similar? Its not mentioned in his file at Kew.

What makes this potentially a special case, is he was never actually convicted or even accused of a crime, but rather detained under Regulation 18b, (18B allowed the Government to intern individuals suspected of being Nazi etc sympathisers, suspending their right to habeas corpus.) So lots of unusual possibilities. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Lancashire Fusilier last visited the forum fairly recently, so hopefully my tag should alert them to your post. 

• 3 weeks later...

Two original photos from my collection of a whippet tank A227. 

A277 with E. and a P. and a name Clara.  other side Eo and a number 236?. There are French troops looking at it. Could it be in French use and have a new name? in chalk over the old name Chili II.

Landships has A277 as Chili II

Link to more info https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/gb/British_medium_Mark-A_whippet.php#

ww1 wippit tank.2.jpg

ww1 wippit tank.jpg

A227   tank.jpg

A227   Eo.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/08/2023 at 09:26, morrisc8 said:

Two original photos from my collection of a whippet tank A227. 

A227 with E. and a P. and a name Clara.  other side Eo and a number 236?. There are French troops looking at it. Could it be in French use and have a new name? in chalk over the old name Chili II.

Landships has A227 as Chili II

Link to more info https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/gb/British_medium_Mark-A_whippet.php#

ww1 wippit tank.2.jpg

ww1 wippit tank.jpg

A227   tank.jpg

A227   Eo.jpg

Nice photos. The top photo is A277, not A227.  My database says "E Section X Coy 3 Bn Sgt PARROTT April 1918 Villers-Brettoneaux 24.4.18 rallied; 3 Bn 25.4.18 rallied; Taken over by B Coy 3 Bn from X Coy 3 Bn 6.5.18; B30 "Centaur III" 6 Section B Coy 3 Bn Cpl KIRK 6.8.18;" The tank seems to have the name Clara chalked on it.

The lower photo is of  A236. My database says "Drawn from Plateau Station and taken on strength of 9 Bn 13.2.18; E Section X Coy 3 Bn 2/Lt TH. OLDHAM Villers Brettoneaux 24.4.18 fired at by German tank, direct hit but eventually rallied; Taken over by B Coy 3 Bn from X Coy 3 Bn 6.5.18; B28 "Crawick" 5 Section B Coy 3 Bn Capt P. NORTH 6.8.18;"

I can't explain the E or P markings, nor the roundel.

Gwyn

Thanks again sidearm, must have had to much wine. I have updated it.

Could the E be E Section  and the P for Sgt PARROTT on A277. ?

Could the E be E Section and the O for 2/Lt TH. OLDHAM  on A236 ?

Edited by morrisc8

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 20:08, morrisc8 said:

Thanks again sidearm, must have had to much wine. I have updated it.

Could the E be E Section  and the P for Sgt PARROTT on A277. ?

Could the E be E Section and the O for 2/Lt TH. OLDHAM  on A236 ?

That would be a reasonable hypothesis.