Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British uniforms India 1914

Muerrisch

Yes, agreed medal, good conduct and marksman, and the Colonial pattern helmet with white cover, spike and chain suggests early 190X ...... but excuse a Sassenach, which regiment please?

Gordon. (cf sporran, collar badges, black buttons on gaiters)

Chris

I thort he had to be but .............?

Thank you.

Off to my boat now!

Is that a frock or a tunic? It seems less clear cut than with the standard patterns.

I suggest it is highland equiv. of best IP frock: his winter Full Dress in India.

Reasons:

medal worn

helmet cover, spike and chinchain worn

Yes of course, I remember now that you said the tunic was not issued there, but a best frock instead.

Serious question.

Maybe it is just the way I am looking at this particular Gordon, but is he of small stature or has he been issued with an overly large sporran? It appears to be enormous in relation to his size.

Serious question.

Maybe it is just the way I am looking at this particular Gordon, but is he of small stature or has he been issued with an overly large sporran? It appears to be enormous in relation to his size.

It doesn't appear particularly out of proportion - it doesn't touch the skirts of his jacket and hangs just below the edge of the kilt, which is where it should be. Possibly the hair has just flared out a little, making it seem a little wider than usual?

here is a treat: a fine young sergeant 2nd RWF c. 1905, with IP scout badge. NB the braiding on SNCO IP frock. QSA with 1st RWF with a good number of bars.

post-894-0-96679200-1315673203.jpg

Royal Dublin Fusiliers showing diamond shaped flash on side of Wolseley helmet and shoulder titles but no collar badges.

post-599-0-68732300-1315681815.jpg

Seaforths in India (NB Large diamond on helmets)

Annoyingly I cannot find the original (which I purchased reasonably recently) to scan it better.... but if I put my hand on it I will)

1903 equipment.

post-14525-0-98737500-1315787148.jpg

Thank you: please can you identify rifle: may not be SMLE. Helmets are Wolseley of course.

I will confirm when I find orig. but looking at this picture on a small monitor (enough caveats there? :blush: ) - I think they are indeed SMLEs although I think they are MkI not MkIII(introduced 1907) - evidence would be the right hand most rifle in the left pile (as we look) appears to show the early rear sight protectors where the protective "wings" were integral to the handguard. I will make a concerted effort to find original this evening.

Chris

I will confirm when I find orig. but looking at this picture on a small monitor (enough caveats there? :blush: ) - I think they are indeed SMLEs although I think they are MkI not MkIII(introduced 1907) - evidence would be the right hand most rifle in the left pile (as we look) appears to show the early rear sight protectors where the protective "wings" were integral to the handguard. I will make a concerted effort to find original this evening.

Chris

Yes, they are SMLEs, the muzzle is distinctive for both marks.

The build-up of evidence seems to put this group firmly 1905-1910, do we think? Or are they MI section in kilts?!

Yes, I think 1905-1910.

I think they might be Long Lees Chris - that was my first thought looking at the pile on the viewers left, and though it's blurry when blown up it looks like they have the exposed barrel at the muzzle...

yes, that is what was bothering me ..... also rifle far right.

Right - when I get home I will have a proper look. In the midst or renovation/reorganisation so..... I simply cannot tell looking on here. It is possible that there is a mix of rifle types (this is to be seen on quite a few early war pictures) but I will see if I can resolve it in this instance by finding and rescanning the original.

Chris

Right - when I get home I will have a proper look. In the midst or renovation/reorganisation so..... I simply cannot tell looking on here. It is possible that there is a mix of rifle types (this is to be seen on quite a few early war pictures) but I will see if I can resolve it in this instance by finding and rescanning the original.

Chris

Bed time said Zebidee!

Thanks very much, good luck with the re. and the re.

If there is an exposed muzzle then it is a Long Lee, but going from the resolution of the image shown they look like SMLEs to my eyesight, but if someone can produce a larger image let's see.

All right after a frantic search:

Found it. It is in poor condition and faded but I rescanned and I believe I am sticking with my original ID of MkI SMLEs

I do not see any exposed muzzles and I do see other relatively clear indicators that they are SMLEs I think. see below

post-14525-0-19232300-1315866574.jpg

post-14525-0-97034500-1315866586.jpg

I believe what was being looked at on the right-most rifle was the light shining off the UNDERSIDE of the weapon creating the effect but I think it is an SMLE.

Chris

I believe what was being looked at on the right-most rifle was the light shining off the UNDERSIDE of the weapon creating the effect but I think it is an SMLE.

You're quite right Chris, in the better close up I can it was just a trick of the light, SMLE's all round...

In my frantic searching I found a couple more pictures which may be of interest:

2 more Seaforths in Trews with KD tunics (tailored skirts)

post-14525-0-90596400-1315870542.jpg

and a rather nice KD uniform study. I think these are both from India but I cannot be 100% certain.

post-14525-0-31631800-1315870473.jpg

Chris

EDIT: Shoulder title on the second picture is RFA.