Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British uniforms India 1914

Muerrisch

red frock no drawers Joe! [brit expression re. a certain type of young lady is "red hat no drawers!]

Thanks High Wood, lovely pair of photos.

Chafing at the bit takes on a whole new meaning!

A slightly pre Great War 14th Hussars Corporal.

had time for a good look.

helmet is "Colonial" not Wolseley so, unless regiment eschewed the W, probably not much later than 1908.

frock is beautifully tailored. NB pockets are scalloped, and collar very crisp, with collar dogs.

I expect he went far in his profession' let us hope so!

Superb, many thanks for this contribution. I am promised some Jocks for August [with drawers, presumably, but you never know].

And here is a Gordon Highlander complete with Wolseley Helmet and Pagri badge in about 1910-11.

post-599-0-56870100-1310586506.jpg

And here is a Gordon Highlander complete with Wolseley Helmet and Pagri badge in about 1910-11.

Great! No collar badge for this gentleman. Also note doublet-style white frock.

This weekend I will work down the Infantry Clothing list, after the non-existent drawers!

Frocks are next, scarlet serge x 1, KD x 3, white x 3.

helmet complete, and cover white x 1

hooks waist x 2 [what?]

pads, shoulder, for ranks armed with rifle x 1

putties x 1

trousers kd x 3

trosers serge [the oxford blue with scarlet welt] x 1

trosers white x 3

is all

Next up will be more on Public Clothing items.

I have full details of Rifles and Kilted Scots items but am waiting for more photos.

Not at all my field but I do enjoy these uniform threads. Uniform starts to be a rather dubious title since the clothing is anything but. Could the waist hooks be belt supports?

Frocks are next, scarlet serge x 1, KD x 3, white x 3.

helmet complete, and cover white x 1

hooks waist x 2 [what?]

pads, shoulder, for ranks armed with rifle x 1

putties x 1

trousers kd x 3

trosers serge [the oxford blue with scarlet welt] x 1

trosers white x 3

is all

Next up will be more on Public Clothing items.

I have full details of Rifles and Kilted Scots items but am waiting for more photos.

As truthergw says, the two hooks are belt supports for KD and whites, I do not know if they were used with the scarlet frock.

In essence, two ring stitched holes were pierced in the waist of the jacket above each hip and the hooks were passed through. They could be stitched in place through two eye holes (per hook), or sometimes were secured via split rings.

The hooks are an old device and were/are also used on No 1 and 2 Dress (of 1960s pattern).

post-599-0-87823300-1310756466.jpg

Grumpy this really is a great idea and you might also gather enough infomation regarding how the troops lived off base. Probably officers and other ranks had their favorite tailor shops near base. That would lead to how the troops spent off duty time. A quote from the history of the 1ST Battalion Royal Irish Regiment "On the 2nd and 3rd May, 1906 headquarters and six compnies moved from Upper Topa in the Murree Hills for the hot weather. They returned to Rawal Pindi on the 30th October, having taken part in maneuvers in the Abbotabad district en route."

I don't think today's regular or professional soldiers would tolerate six months of hooffing around in the boondocks, let alone extended war games. What were these hot weather bases and forts like? I think you have a good possible sequel from uniforms to fort life.

I'm on the other side of the pond so I have not been able to locate a copy of Sahib yet.

regards

momsirish

Spr 141983 George A Deane, R.E. Entitled to the India General Service medal with bar, Afghanistan, NWF 1919.

Interesting to see that his lower pockets are bagged, I have not seen that on an OR as far back as WW1 before.

Grumpy this really is a great idea and you might also gather enough infomation regarding how the troops lived off base. Probably officers and other ranks had their favorite tailor shops near base. That would lead to how the troops spent off duty time. A quote from the history of the 1ST Battalion Royal Irish Regiment "On the 2nd and 3rd May, 1906 headquarters and six compnies moved from Upper Topa in the Murree Hills for the hot weather. They returned to Rawal Pindi on the 30th October, having taken part in maneuvers in the Abbotabad district en route."

I don't think today's regular or professional soldiers would tolerate six months of hooffing around in the boondocks, let alone extended war games. What were these hot weather bases and forts like? I think you have a good possible sequel from uniforms to fort life.

I'm on the other side of the pond so I have not been able to locate a copy of Sahib yet.

regards

momsirish

post-7376-0-49729500-1310824995.jpg

The Infantry Barracks, Mhow, India taken just before the outbreak of the war, but would probably remain unchanged even up to World War II.

Another Great War K.D. with bagged lower pockets.

Yes, and on this one the lower pocket corners are rounded whereas the previous one was squared.

post-7376-0-49729500-1310824995.jpg

The Infantry Barracks, Mhow, India taken just before the outbreak of the war, but would probably remain unchanged even up to World War II.

Is that the Guardroom/Guardhouse at front right with the arched verandah? It looks so similar to the Guard Rooms of Tidworth, Colchester and Aldershot.

My Greatuncle, Rifleman Fred Peters #3955 2nd Battalion RB in Feb 1914

and an excerpt from one of his letters home from Feb 1913, shortly after arriving in India.

His letters can be found here

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=101141

with ones from India in posts 19, 21, 56 and 60.

post-35836-0-03592100-1310879792.jpg

post-35836-0-42396700-1310880046.jpg

3 RWF men India ....... cannot be much later than 1905, shorts, Brodrick, turned down collar, square pocket flaps

post-894-0-14638400-1311006516.jpg

My Greatuncle, Rifleman Fred Peters #3955 2nd Battalion RB in Feb 1914

and an excerpt from one of his letters home from Feb 1913, shortly after arriving in India.

For momsirish, his letters can be found here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101141

with ones from India in posts 19, 21, 56 and 60.

The ref. to "black" will be the Rifles distinctive "best" for India.

Wish we could sttract the attentions of someone with an illustration.

I note he was "required" to purchase underwear. Rude not to!

The ref. to "black" will be the Rifles distinctive "best" for India.

Wish we could sttract the attentions of someone with an illustration.

I note he was "required" to purchase underwear. Rude not to!

This is the only image I have seen of the Rifleman's 'black' that was worn in India, but going from the Foreign Service Helmet it pre-dates 1910.

post-599-0-84787300-1311070850.jpg

post-7376-0-76243600-1311088170.jpg

Grumpy - borrowed this one courtesey of Leigh Kitchen and the Gentlemans Military Interest Club. Wasn't sure if you'd seen it, but could be a nice addition for your records.

post-7376-0-60626900-1311088357.jpg

Aclose up of the helmet & badge.

Graham, yet another pocket flap! Two buttons!

Thank you Frogsmile and Graham, but where are the Scots I ask myself ....... just because they have issue drawers they think they are too good for this thread?!

Thank you Frogsmile and Graham, but where are the Scots I ask myself ....... just because they have issue drawers they think they are too good for this thread?!

I have seen that type of frock with double button chest pockets before and it had cartridge pockets stitched above on each side. I am not sure what the origin of the design is.

Here is a Gordon just to get things started.

post-599-0-58541300-1311208504.jpg