Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British uniforms India 1914

Muerrisch

And a Cameron with family.

post-599-0-79055900-1311209106.jpg

The two scots belts are interestingly different. Thank you.

From a Christmas card Fred Peters (post #126) sent to his sister in 1913.

Many thanks. Is it possible to do a close up of 1913 rifleman only please?

Many thanks .... the cuff detail is interesting, perhaps an SNCO affectation?

I think it is showing a later pattern of India type frock. The collar join is cut square rather than curved on the man I posted above and, as you have noted, the cuff embellishment is more elaborate. It also does not appear to have lower pockets as there do not appear to be any flaps. Comparison with a full dress tunic of the same period shows similar pointed cuffs, albeit more narrow.

Both 2nd and 4th Battalions were in India at that time, the former at Kuldana and the latter at Dagshai.

post-599-0-89177800-1311590317.jpg

and group.

post-599-0-70151900-1311590777.jpg

Many thanks for these: seven buttons, thats a turn up on a frock in India: NF had six, most had 5.

Sorry Grumpy I have inadvertently confused you, those were not images from India, I merely posted them as a comparison of full dress (7 button) cuff embellishment with the 5 button frock. See second sentence of first image.

Sorry Grumpy I have inadvertently confused you, those were not images from India, I merely posted them as a comparison of full dress (7 button) cuff embellishment with the 5 button frock. See second sentence of first image.

Easily confused these days. I thought they were, shall we say, snugly cut!

Contributions gratefully received. Have found a very-near to 1902 RWF, mandarin collar and scalloped breast pockets officer-style. This subject has definitely not been cracked!

The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment; probably 1/4th or 1/5th battalion

So TF? and therefore just into Great War, please?

My father (seated) India c 1910. Enlisted in the RGA 1903 as a signaller for 12 years, finally demobolised in 1919 awarded MM 1918.

Very smart gunners, both are members of the 1st Prize Battery in the annual competition. Seated gunner at least 5 years service from his chevrons. Standing gunner qualified gunlayer.

Very smart gunners, both are members of the 1st Prize Battery in the annual competition. Seated gunner at least 5 years service from his chevrons. Standing gunner qualified gunlayer.

THANKS FOR THE DETAILS ON THE CHEVRONS.ON THE UNIFORM OF THE STANDING GUNNER IT LOOKS AS IF THERE IS ONLY ONE SHOULDER EPAULETTE ON MY

FATHER ( SEATED ) UNIFORM APPEARS TO HAVE TWO ,ANY REASON WHY.?

REGARDS ALLEN.

THANKS FOR THE DETAILS ON THE CHEVRONS.ON THE UNIFORM OF THE STANDING GUNNER IT LOOKS AS IF THERE IS ONLY ONE SHOULDER EPAULETTE ON MY

FATHER ( SEATED ) UNIFORM APPEARS TO HAVE TWO ,ANY REASON WHY.?

REGARDS ALLEN.

He has two, it is just the angle of view of the photograph.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a bit of a look through mine. Biggest problem is I cannot reliably date them.

I have a couple of sets of pictures from India but I cannot be sure if they are pre or post WWI.

Here's one that is definitely pre WWI

post-14525-0-65281600-1315104232.jpg

I'll have more of a look.

I have a few distant ones rather than close but I am not sure they will help much.

I'll look

Chris

Here is a weird one...concert party? maybe not scottish? but with some interesting badges.

post-14525-0-25459500-1315104443.jpg

post-14525-0-46118300-1315168215.jpg

Attempt to enlarge badges

NW Frontier -- but may well be post WWI.

post-14525-0-71889700-1315104509.jpg

Chris

EDIT: Apologies I dug the original out and this is dated on the reverse 1923 so it is outside the scope here (sorry)

many thanks ..... we can build up some dates by detective work I think.

Brief hiatus from me until Thursday ...... Norfolk Broads in a gale, 3 men in a boat .........

#155 "concert party" has a mix of colonial and Wolseley helmets, suggesting c. 1905. Clearly not a parade! Such a photo is best looked at with a brandy in hand .... I shall try later on.

The "kilts" look like army blankets .........

The "sporrans" like dead sheep ........

NW Frontier -- but may well be post WWI.

post-14525-0-71889700-1315104509.jpg

Chris

The man in Blue Patrols appears to be a Queen's Royal West Surrey and that is another relatively early appearance of that particular uniform. The bulk of the other men appear to be Gunners and cavalrymen.

Here's another - I think in India although I cannot be certain.

Scarlet Frock but with tropical helmet...

QSA medal with 3 bars? Marksman and good conduct?

post-14525-0-71126800-1315152782.jpg

Chris

Yes, agreed medal, good conduct and marksman, and the Colonial pattern helmet with white cover, spike and chain suggests early 190X ...... but excuse a Sassenach, which regiment please?