Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British uniforms India 1914

Muerrisch

And a poor job the Officer seated in the right hand chair has made of tying his.

I do not yet have this in hand as I only just purchased it, but this is apparently the Middlesex Rgt (TF Bn) in India (presumbaly 1/9th or 1/10th Bn).

Question - what sort of jackets are they wearing? I do not have the picture yet and cannot rescan until it arrives.

post-14525-0-43571900-1316487883.jpg

Chris

I do not yet have this in hand as I only just purchased it, but this is apparently the Middlesex Rgt (TF Bn) in India (presumbaly 1/9th or 1/10th Bn).

Question - what sort of jackets are they wearing? I do not have the picture yet and cannot rescan until it arrives.

post-14525-0-43571900-1316487883.jpg

Chris

Economy? never seen the like. Hip pockets ....... rank badges, shoulder titles and medal ribbon attached thereto ..........

Captain Mannering on officer's right. So he DID serve!

I now have the picture in hand so here is a better scan.

Lots of badges and insignia for you.

I would be interested in knowing what sort of jacket these are. The Sgt with the medal ribbon seems to be wearing a standard KD and the officer a more of less standard officers' variant.

post-14525-0-49643500-1317083792.jpg

Chris

I now have the picture in hand so here is a better scan.

Lots of badges and insignia for you.

I would be interested in knowing what sort of jacket these are. The Sgt with the medal ribbon seems to be wearing a standard KD and the officer a more of less standard officers' variant.

post-14525-0-49643500-1317083792.jpg

Chris

Chris

Looks like a Signals Platoon. Crossed flags on upper shoulder and on OR's left fore arm.

I'm not sure on medal.

Looks like this picture was taken yesterday. Fantastic.

Simon

Beautiful. I reckon signals section: sgt, cpl assistant instructor, some qualified men. I can only think the frock is either an economy measure, or a regimentally purchased working dress. Never seen before!

Thank you.

Is this photo any use to your post?

Color Sgt Frederick Dye Northants

Might not be the rigth time line though.

I have one of India in 1908 if it is any use

thank you. India dateable 1908: precious!!!!!!!!!

On 27/09/2011 at 10:03, GRUMPY said:

Beautiful. I reckon signals section: sgt, cpl assistant instructor, some qualified men. I can only think the frock is either an economy measure, or a regimentally purchased working dress. Never seen before!

Thank you.

I think it 'might' be a Frock, Utility, Khaki Drill. I was issued something very similar with just lower patch pockets (albeit many years later!) that was labelled Jacket, Overall, Olive Drill and I was told that it was based on an older garment. We wore it in drill order only with matching trousers.  There were different patterns of KD depending on whether Indian Army [establishment] issue, or British issue.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think it 'might' be a Frock, Utility, Khaki Drill. I was issued something very similar with just lower patch pockets (albeit many years later!) that was labelled Frock, Utility, Olive Drill and I was told that it was based on an older garment. We wore it in drill order only with matching trousers.

I think that the ancestry of your garment would more likely be the working clothes/coveralls/fatigue dress that one often sees in period pictures which appear to be made of a light coloured cotton or sometimes looks like linen. I agree there is a similarity (particularly on the small appearance of the buttons - presumably removable for laundering)but I am not sure they are the same garment. I have never seen insignia on these fatigue coveralls.

See below (NOT as far as I know in India)

post-14525-0-39303600-1317211473.jpg

Chris

I think that the ancestry of your garment would more likely be the working clothes/coveralls/fatigue dress that one often sees in period pictures which appear to be made of a light coloured cotton or sometimes looks like linen. I agree there is a similarity (particularly on the small appearance of the buttons - presumably removable for laundering)but I am not sure they are the same garment. I have never seen insignia on these fatigue coveralls.

See below (NOT as far as I know in India)

post-14525-0-39303600-1317211473.jpg

Chris

Chris, you are correct that we wore the uniform concerned for some similar purposes to the garment you have posted, but ours was less sack like and more fitted, with basic darts for a little shaping, and badges of rank were worn on the upper arms, albeit sometimes by means of a brassard. It looked not unlike the KD frocks shown, except that there were no buttons on the flaps of the lower pockets. It is for these reasons that I mentioned the clear similarity. It was worn predominantly as an undress parade uniform with peaked forage caps.

Broadsword asked me to up this!

Fascinating. After Brodrick, before 1915.

CSgt seated left has wangled full colour badge on frock [tunic only except India, so is it India]. Back ground veg. appears in many India/Burmah shots.

CSgt Cuffs wrong for India and no front piping. Is he fresh out from Home, wearing Home Service frock then?

Either way he is best shot Sgts and above, and best shot in his company.

Distance-judging star on man behind him

QSA KSA medals abound?

Armourer staff-sergeant seated centre.

India-pattern SNCO frock far right, crows foot cuffs.

2 sgts standing centre may also be from Home? See cuffs etc. One Home Service seven button frock.

post-894-0-54124300-1317236846.jpg

Broadsword asked me to up this!

Fascinating. After Brodrick, before 1915.

CSgt seated left has wangled full colour badge on frock [tunic only except India, so is it India]. Back ground veg. appears in many India/Burmah shots.

CSgt Cuffs wrong for India and no front piping. Is he fresh out from Home, wearing Home Service frock then?

Either way he is best shot Sgts and above, and best shot in his company.

Distance-judging star on man behind him

QSA KSA medals abound?

Armourer staff-sergeant seated centre.

India-pattern SNCO frock far right, crows foot cuffs.

2 sgts standing centre may also be from Home? See cuffs etc. One Home Service seven button frock.

Absolutely brilliant photo Grumpy. It just goes to show what a mix of uniforms and (perhaps) flouting of regulations can occur in an Army spread across the globe.

Any chance of a larger scan via email?

Absolutely brilliant photo Grumpy. It just goes to show what a mix of uniforms and (perhaps) flouting of regulations can occur in an Army spread across the globe.

Any chance of a larger scan via email?

Frogsmile, PM me your e-mail address and I will send it

• 2 weeks later...

The medals will be a combination of:

India General Service 95 with Clasps from Tirah 1897, Punjab Frontier 1897-98 and majority with Samana 1897 (1st Bn.).

QSA with generally 3 or 4 clasps (Belmont, OFS, Transvaal, plus 3/4 with Modder River)unless attached for Mounted Infantry duty, plus KSA with 1901 & 1902 clasps where appropriate (2nd Bn.)

or a small number with IGS 95 and QSA combination where a draft went from India (1st Bn.) to South Africa (2nd) in 1900.

Nice photo Broad. you have my e-mail (hint....) :D

Which one is Frederick Dye by the way?

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Royal Dublin Fusiliers showing diamond shaped flash on side of Wolseley helmet and shoulder titles but no collar badges.

Do folks know what color of this flash on the Woolsey helmet would have been for the RDF?

Do folks know what color of this flash on the Woolsey helmet would have been for the RDF?

I believe it was upper half blue and lower half green.

Frogsmile, PM me your e-mail address and I will send it

Thank you. PM sent.

I believe it was upper half blue and lower half green.

Thank you. PM sent.

Thanks for the information. Makes sense, following the pattern of the shako hackle. Anyone have a color image of an original that they could share?

Just got this - thought you might be interested as it has some detail and I think is relevant. It is part of F Coy 1/4th border Regiment taken in Maymyo (Burma/Myanmar) in 1915 so I think it might fall under the Indian Army at that point?

Points of interest: Long Lees - although I cannot determine if the are CLLE or not with P1888 bayonets. Shirt Sleeves/Shorts as opposed to KD. Only KD appears to be the Senior Officer. Lieut (seated) appears to have pips stitched to his upper shirt sleeve which I have not seen before.

Chris

post-14525-0-61787000-1316282185.jpg

Chris,

I believe they are charger loaders. The distinctive CLLE front sight guards are clearly visible.

Hello

I have not seen this entire topic thread yet, but I'm really enjoying going through this one.

Mark

A & SH India 1910.

post-5914-0-46657900-1327534863.jpg

Thank you, that fills a big gap very well. May we have a close-up of each cuff to see stitching ....... is it a V shape or straight across?

Thank you, that fills a big gap very well. May we have a close-up of each cuff to see stitching ....... is it a V shape or straight across?

I've done a closer image if it's still not clearer I'll redo it. It looks straight across to me.

post-5914-0-80828700-1327590638.jpg