Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 24th March 2012

AlanCurragh

Do you know, Premier Inn are actually very good. I've seen the adverts where they guarantee a good nights sleep, or your money back - but didn't think it would be easy to do.

A few months ago I had cause to spend a night in Kew with a friend. We had booked for just one night and included breakfast and an evening meal. On the morning we left the receptionist asked if we'd had a good night's sleep and we said it had been a little too warm. I also mentioned in passing that the hot water was non-too hot that morning (first time I'd ever known that happen and I stay in Premier Inn a couple of times a year at least). She apologised and said our money would be refunded. I thought yeah, right.

Do you know, by the time I got home 4 hours later, not only had the cost of our room been refunded but the whole amount for all our food was also reimbursed. To say I was stunned was putting it mildly.

So, although they probably wouldn't offer a free charaban, they (I believe) are a really good chain of budget hotels (and to a decent standard too, unlike a lot of them).

Now that is what I call good service. And it does leave a lasting impression doesn't it?

Roger

Kim

Assuming that's the Premier Inn on Brentford High Street, they seem to have particularly good customer service there - and it's now my default place when I visit Kew. A couple of visits back, I wrote to them afterwards, not so much to complain, but to draw attention to the breakfast not being very good on one of the days (everything was cold). I got a refund of the food cost not just for the one day but all three breakfasts.

I find it more comfortable than the nearby TraveLodge (which is showing signs of age and has a vile brekkie)yet more affordable than the Holiday Inn further up the High Street (which is very comfortable and has a great brekkie, but can be well over £100 a night.

FWIW, there's a cracking Indian restaurant just round the corner from the Premier, on Ferry Quays. Called Pappadums. Really good.

John

Yes, Roger, it does leave a lasting impression :D

That's the one John - unfortunately I'm not too keen on Indian food (I pick at it, but nothing more :( )

I was passing the Old Contemptibles today and went in and made an enquiry. So I have booked the back room/big alcove at the end from 6.30 p.m. on Friday March 23rd. In my name. Food can be taken by those who want it - otherwise excellent ale.Told them 20+ - we can find out more nearer the time.

Is it possible to book the back room of the Old Contemptibles?

Well done Alan - see you there

Keith

Well done Alan - did you happen to "test" the beers?:whistle::lol:

Roger

Ayesha will be there. Since she will be unchaperonned, I expect the very best of behaviour from you all.

I will be on my way back from the Somme that day, so will go straight to Hagley Road.

I will be sober.....but not sure all you guys will!

Please bring Ayesha home in pristine condition!

Bruce

Good work Alan

Numbers for the day have now passed the 100 mark

Hi Alan,

Just as a matter of interest, how many attended the previous two ? and what do you consider the optimum number ?

On a separate point, I too will be adding to the Premier Inn, Hagley Road's profits but I can only manage the Saturday night, so no Old Contemptibles charabanc for me !

Steve - 2010 was around 65, and last year was 120 or so. I don't think we'd want too many more than last year, to be honest, maybe 150 but that might be a bit of a squeeze. I think the venue goes up to 180.

Happy to have anyone else's thoughts on maximum numbers...

Alan

I think 150 would be tops.

Roger

Just booked my place with a £10 deposit - hope I won't be the only person there not to know anybody!! :) It will feel like fresher's week all over again...

Simon

Two years ago, we were all like that!

You will be most welcome.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!! Looking forward to it!!

Simon, at the first one we were all issued with sticky labels for our lapels to write our names and forum IDs on. I hope that's going to happen again this time.

Keith

Simon, at the first one we were all issued with sticky labels for our lapels to write our names and forum IDs on. I hope that's going to happen again this time.

Keith

Or better - they tended to fall off

You can always buy a forum badge and stick it on that.

Very useful these Forum badges, and will be available handpicked and fresh from the tree.

Mine is nestling happily on my jacket next to my Oban War and Peace Museum badge! I will be wearing it proudly on the 24th - hope to get time to visit the Hall of Memory in Bham city centre - great grandfather (see signature) is listed in the book of remembrance, and he lived not far away in Winson Green.

...and booked in at Hagley Road too...

Breakfast at Hagley Road will never have been so chatty!

Pillow talk?

Roger

Roger!!!!

Thangs have changed since last year.

Kim is a married woman now!

Bruce