Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 24th March 2012

AlanCurragh

Is there a dress code for this event. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I won't wear my toga if I am the only one.......

Whatever you feel comfortable in. Casual is fine.

Roger

Fantastic news Bob. I hope you and the current Mrs Paterson - an august position with onerous responsibilities - will be comming up the night before to sample whisky and fine wines at the Old Contemptible?

Pete

Sorry missed this one Pete.

The current Mrs P and i are indeed booked into the Travelodge for the Friday and Saturday night.

I have no doubt whatsoever that beers are on the agenda in The old Contemptible and equiv on the friday.

Re the Saturday tho - no chance of persuading her to go to the dinner at night as in her words " she'll be ww1 out then big style and brain dead ". So on the Saturday night for her it will be a romantic meal and hand in hand stroll around the gas street basin area with the man of her dreams. Guess I'll be in the Old Contempibles when this is going on.

bob

Well, I always turn up in full motorcycling gear and seem to be tolerated so your toga shouldn't raise too many eyebrows. Wearing incorrect WW1-era uniform, however......

Keith

Does one wear full size or miniature medals with a Toga?

Actually, I try not to wear anything with a pin....:)

• 2 weeks later...

Another bump - numbers for this year's conference are running slightly ahead of where they were this time last year, so there is the possibility we may run out of space this year.....

I feel a forced march from the Old Contemptibles to a balti house coming on.

Keith

May or may not be of interest. I ate and drank in The Old Joint Stock pub this week. It is about five minutes walk from the Old Contemptibles. Excellent range of beers, but more to the point an upstairs part of the dining area that can be reserved. Food was good too and very reasonably priced. It has about 6 or 7 tables in the upstairs bit. Could be a good place for the Friday nighters to eat, whether we reserved it or not. The pub is on the main cathedral square off Colmore Row.

New members, Simon and Mollie Rennie, wish to attend the conference, and so please reserve them two places, including dinner.

I will pay.

Bruce

Thank folks - I'll add Simon, Mollie and Michael to the list

I am a newcomer and hope to attend.

Be nice to go to tally ho and listen to something I want to hear for a change...

can I ask for a PM to outline the protocols, how to pay etc.....

many thanks

Tim.

For the first time I am able to make the planned dates & my £10 deposit has been paid paid via PayPal.

I know it's probably covered somewhere in the preceeding pages but to save me reading loads of "I'm coming posts", do I need to book for the evening meal?

Andy

Indeed you do, Andy - I'll add you to the list for conference plus dinner

Thanks

Many thanks Alan; now all I need to do is book the hotel.

Andy

Oh, good grief!

That is where Ayesha and I are bookied into.

I will know which room you are in from the trail of fig roll crumbs!

My apologies for not getting to the Old Contempibles on the Friday evening, but I will be travelling back from Ypres that evening. I am sure that you will all look after Ayesha, and our chums who are GWF virgins, Mollie and Simon.

(As if I need looking after!!!...Ayesha)

Bruce

We will indeed looking after Ayesha, Bruce. Mollie and Simon - I've met them before I think? Were they with you at Avrils with the bells the first time I met you?

Good grief!

Those awful fig things haven't affected your memory. Mollie and Simon are two of the founder members of the Maghull Parish Bellringers, and you did indeed meet them at Avril's all those years ago.

We will all be staying at Hagley Road, but i won't be dropped off at Maidstone until 8 on the Friday, so I think the three of them will get a txi to the pub that evening, and i will meet you all in the hotel bar when I get there. I can imagine a fleet of taxis next morning to the Tally Ho!

Bruce

Will you be bringing THE elephant gun?

Bruce

Book me in for Conference and meal. Will send deposit via Paypal

Thanks

TonyE

Thanks Tony

Hey Tony,

Are you bringing that miserable old ****** who hangs around in bars with you?

Pete

Crikey ****** looks os much worse when it is replaced by asterisks - my mind has run riot!