Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

Let's recap:

a bridge, a busy road, a stone cross, all within a 100km radius of Ypres. It should be a piece of cake. :rolleyes:

well done my man :D

you'll be soon in skindles

can we have a picture -- of the BMW at least?

cheers Martin B

Let me guess. Is the bridge over the A19? And the cross the new Scottish memorial? Not far from Wieltje, but I can't remember the location because I was lost when I cycled past it. :blink:

The biggest 'stone cross' I can think of that's viewable from a bridge on a busy road would be the Ijzertoren at Dixmude?

Dave,

That was my thought but I couldn't get it to fit the 'on the road...' clue from Sabine.

Wasn't featured in a Bob Hope film was it?

Paul

pat will be home tonight and reveal the answer

I'm standing in front of a memorial. Behind it is a wood that takes its name from a man-made feature that would have been to my left if I'd been here in 1917, but now it has gone and been replaced by something else.

Beyond the "feature that isn't there" I can see a farm which is part of the German front line. The British name for that farm is German.

Where am I?

:whistle:

New Zealand Memorial, Polygon Wood? The wood was also known as Racecourse wood owing to the pre-war horse race course

Wasn't there a farm nearabouts actually called 'German Farm'?

berlin wood

thanks Pat, looks good

taken in one of the less flat parts of Belgium, it seems

cheers Martin B

Anything to do with the Caterpillar which, looking at the clues, would have been replaced by the Caterpillar crater in 1917?

I don't know if there's a Caterpillar wood?

No, not caterpillar.

Another clue required, I think, as this is dragging on a bit now.

The feature that is no longer there, and the one that replaced it are both linear, and clearly visible on trench maps and modern maps respectively.

:blink:

wood 16 the german bunker?

Not sure if I'm allowed a second go at this but Ken's latest clue - a linear feature - is making me think of railways...

So how about the wood which is named after a man made feature being Railway Wood. The feature which is "no longer there" is the railway line which I believe was replaced by a road - which is the other linear feature.

Are we one the right 'lines', Ken? :rolleyes:

No idea of the farm with a German name or the battalion memorial but, hopefully, this will help someone else solve this one.