Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

Leave it a bit longer. I am sure some of the more experienced members know the answer. Let some of the young 'uns have a shot

Leave it a bit longer. I am sure some of the more experienced members know the answer. Let some of the young 'uns have a shot

Would it help them if I suggested "D" Cemetery, - or not ?

Tom

Devonshire Cemetery on Somme?? ( young at heart)

Tony

And that the model isn't Kate Moss :lol:

The modeller - Captain Duncan Lenox Martin ?

Tom

Devonshire trench, if i recall rightly, the model was made and one of the officers said it wouldn't work cos the G's were in the cemetery but he wasn't listened too and lost his life in the battle x

Mansell Copse, the site of the Devonshire Cemetery is indeed the answer. Captain Duncan Martin commanding A Company 9th Bn Devons, made a plasticine model prior to the attack predicting that they would come under fire from a machine gun at the crucifix in Mametz cemetery which lay almost opposite on the other side of the valley. He showed this to his superiors who ignored his warnings. Captain Martin was killed in the attack and lies in the cemetery which is the site of their jumping off trench. Mametz was in fact taken later that day, 1st July 1916.

I believe KIRKY sets the next question.

yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got one right lol x

Kirky is on holiday I think :whistle:

In which case I’ll throw one in >

I’m standing in front of a Salle des Fetes but the place where I am is British. “It” passed by here during WW1, but the man who named it didn’t know.

Where am I ?

Tom

The man who named the thing which passed by where I'm standing went to university in Edinburgh. He was Scots. (A clue which may be more relevant than it might appear to be).

He named it, but he didnt know.

Tom

The man who named the thing which passed by where I'm standing went to university in Edinburgh. He was Scots. (A clue which may be more relevant than it might appear to be).

He named it, but he didnt know.

Tom

Is this a reference to the cortege of the Unknown Warrior?

So, examining the clues:

I'm standing in front of a Salle des Fetes but the place where I am is British.

• So unless the question setter is being obtuse (why not?) we are in France,or possibly French speaking Belgium
  • Salle des Fetes, I think is a banqueting hall - so an urban location
  • place where I am is British
    • as in a British War Cemetery? (as in "the land on which this cemetery stands is granted in perpetuity ..."?)
    • or a place currently owned by someone British

"It" passed by here during WW1, but the man who named it didn't know.

• It could be something moving like a cortege or a body of men
  • but it could also be something stationary like "L'autoroute des Anglais" (or a railway or a canal) which "passes" the place in question
  • It could even be an event like "a retreat" or "an advance"
  • WW1 - so not the cortege of the Unknown Warrior (or L'autoroute des Anglais!).
  • but the man who named it didn't know - did not know what?
    • that he had named it - in which case is it named after him?
    • that it passed the place in question? - but he did know that he had named the thing

• Implies that he is a graduate (or failed version of the same) rather than a mere employee of the university. List of Edinburgh Alumni
  • Assuming the namer is of approximately WW1 vintage - so Edinburgh University was the only university In Edinburgh

He named it, but he didn't know.

• I suspect who-ever unwraps this bit of crypticality will get the answer

David

St Pol Communal Cemetery Extension.

Going on the previous answers, The unknown soldier was selected in the adjoining chapel.

Is this a reference to the cortege of the Unknown Warrior?

There is no connection with the Unknown Warrior at all.

Another clue follows shortly.

So, examining the clues:

" a British War Cemetery? ... or a place currently owned by someone British."

Neither of the above.

""It" passed by here during WW1, but the man who named it didn't know.... It could be something moving like a cortege or a body of men.

"It" was a moving object.

" is it named after him?"

No

"Implies that he is ... Edinburgh Alumni"

Correct

"He named it, but he didn't know. ... I suspect who-ever unwraps this bit of crypticality will get the answer"

You are correct - that bit is cryptic; but it isnt the only way to solve it.

Tom

When I face the Salle a soldier stands behind me. He has been there for a long time, and he never moves.

Tom

Flers Tom?

Tony

I don't know the answer but could the "salle des fetes" and "Britiain" be found on the Channel Islands ?

Flers Tom?

Tony

I understand you may have an advantage here as you could have had access to my original notes :lol: …………… but yes - 15/9/16 2nd Lieutenant Stuart Henderson Hastie (OBE MC to be), Highland Light Infantry att’d Heavy Branch MGC, took Male Tank D17 “Dinnaken” past what is now the Salle des Fetes in the Place des Britanniques, Flers, Somme.

Tom

I understand you may have an advantage here as you could have had access to my original notes :lol:

Occupational hazard, Tom — a couple of mine have been 'got' by pals who were with me when I visited places I set as questions.

My turn and I am off on holiday from tomorrow so be quick!

Behind me is what used to be largest is not anymore but can see smallest which is larger!

Bastille Day featured here heavily and Heliopetes ericetorum landscape offered some protection for attacking troops.

I may be a bit cross if you get this !

Tony

• Admin

Bazentin Le Grand looking towards Bazentin Le Petit?

Michelle

Bazentin Le Grand looking towards Bazentin Le Petit?

Michelle

Well done spot on!

Off to Normandy now that you have the right answer!!

tony

Puzzled by reference to Heliopetes ericetorum landscape. Google search indicates that is a native American butterfly

cheers Martin B