Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

I was thinking of the National Cemetery and memorial at Notre Dame de Lorette looking towards Caberet Rouge cemetery... but that'd be to he south east. However, if the memorial was to be the Vimy Memorial, I suppose that Caberet Rouge actually is to the South west, so I'll go for that one I think! (empty grave being that of the Canadian unknown soldier)

Dave

if the memorial was to be the Vimy Memorial, I suppose that Caberet Rouge actually is to the South west, so I'll go for that one I think! (empty grave being that of the Canadian unknown soldier)

Forget that one too! (it's due west)!

Dave

So, how about it being the New Zealand memorial lear Longueval and you're looking south westwards towards Caterpillar Valley cemetery (and the empty grave of the NZ unknown)?

Apologies for the delay. Here we go. Sorry but I can't hope to compete with David's cryptic excellence.

1) Immediately behind me, a memorial where height is relevant.

2) Looking ahead to the south west, I can see a distant cemetery with an empty grave.

3) France

Which memorial and why?

Paul

Well I have heard that Bailleul Road East military cemetery has an empty grave - more a headstone memorial (in memory of Isaac Rosenberg)

It is more South (and a touch East?) than South West of the Vimy Memorial, so can we exclude this combination? Other than being on the ridge and hence able to see a distant cemetery, I am not sure about the "height is relevant".

David

Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez from where the Canadian Unknown Soldier was exhumed is close to Vimy (but West of Vimy!)?

David

The Australian Unknown was taken from Adelaide Cemetery which is South West of Villiers-Bretoneux Australian Memorial.

David

The Australian Unknown was taken from Adelaide Cemetery which is South West of Villiers-Bretoneux Australian Memorial.

David

Which was my guess, David. But Paul noted I was too far south.

Lou

Which was my guess, David. But Paul noted I was too far south.

Lou

Sorry! - the dangers of moving over the page!

Forget that one too! (it's due west)!

Dave

So, how about it being the New Zealand memorial lear Longueval and you're looking south westwards towards Caterpillar Valley cemetery (and the empty grave of the NZ unknown)?

So if it is warm, other memorials North East of Caterpillar Valley are:

• 41st Division Memorial at Flers
  • Newfoundland Memorial, Gueudecourt

(but not sure if the terrain helps you see the cemetery from either)

David

Sorry! - the dangers of moving over the page!

No worries Sir, I am guilty of it myself, and more often than I'd care to admit.

Lou

• Admin

Stood by 47th Div memorial at High Wood looking toward Caterpillar Valley, empty grave is the New Zealander.

Michelle

Stood by 47th Div memorial at High Wood looking toward Caterpillar Valley, empty grave is the New Zealander.

Michelle

Ah, the relevance of "height"! That would make sense.

David

At the edge of High Wood today is a memorial to men of the 1/9 Highland Light Infantry (Glasgow Highlanders), which is relatively recent. Constructed in 1972, it comprises a cairn with 192 stones taken from another High Wood (near Culloden), commemorating the 192 soldiers of the Glasgow Highlanders who were killed here. The height of the cairn, five feet and seven inches, also represents the minimum height accepted for recruits iunto the battalion.

If correct can you have another go Pau. I am just going out of the door until Sunday evening

John

John,

Well done. 1/9 Highland Light Infantry memorial it is! and 5'7" is the 'height' referred to in the clue

I'm also just leaving the house so would someone else like to have a go?

Paul

Correct, Tom — and I suspect you didn't need the pun to get it ('the whole' clue ...). Your turn now.

There are indeed two French graves at Le Trou, Martin. The other is a dragoon called Ellias. The 'Inconnu' is lone in the sense that he is away in one corner under his willow tree.

well, maybe you can start a new one, bet tom will not kill you over this otherwhise I'm a widdow :(

sabine