Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

Spot on, Paul.

That should have the locals, Sabine and Pat, coming up with the answer any moment now.

:thumbsup:

I'm standing in front of a memorial. Behind it is a wood that takes its name from a man-made feature that would have been to my left if I'd been here in 1917, but now it has gone and been replaced by something else.

Beyond the "feature that isn't there" I can see a farm which is part of the German front line. The British name for that farm is German.

Where am I?

:whistle:

Memorial: RE Memorial (or possibly the Liverpool Scots)

Wood: Railway Wood (as suggested)

Manmade Feature: the Ypres / Roulers Railway, now Zuiderring (again as suggested)

Front Line Farm: this is where I get stuck - presumably to the north of the Zuiderring. I also hesitate to guess in case I suggest a Flemish name is German!

David

Correct David.

I had in mind the Liverpool Scottish memorial, but if you stand in front of one you are standing in front of the other.

The farm was known to the British as Oskar Farm, hence the British name for the farm is actually a German name.

Ken

Well, i think we probably deserve an 'oskar' for teamwork. :D

Over to you, David.

(agreed Paul - thanks!)

So,

in France

through a stone arch

down to a wooden floor

surounded by the results of shuttering

David

Hi David,

You might like to explain what shuttering is. Mainly for the benefit of our non English speaking friends (but also for me as I'm not sure either :unsure:)

Shuttering is a construction method whereby you build temporary containments (shuttering) into which you can then shovel or pour construction material (e.g. mud - or more commonly nowadays concrete) - once dry the shuttering is removed. That said, the Romans used it for their large concrete constructions. (The link in the last sentence is to a fussy non-standard website that seems to require MSIE to view it - but does illustrate the process well.)

David

Albert museum? but think that is too obvious, and not been for ages so cant remember the shuttering lol x

Albert museum? but think that is too obvious, and not been for ages so cant remember the shuttering lol x

No, that's not it - although you have had me scurrying to the internet to look it up! Will put it on my itinerary for any future trip - is it entirely in underground tunnels (the place where I was, is not).

David

No, that's not it - although you have had me scurrying to the internet to look it up! Will put it on my itinerary for any future trip - is it entirely in underground tunnels (the place where I was, is not).

David

The new-ish curator has worked hard at improving the museum. I was there a month ago for the first time in five years and it has really changed....much for the better. Lots to see....worth four euros (especially if it is raining!)

Bruce

The tunnels in Arras?

Sorry, not in Tunnels

David

David,

Seems that everyone has given up and gone home. Time for a close look at your clues.

'Down to a wooden floor' but not, apparently, underground. Could we be talking about duckboards in the bottom of a preserved trench?

And the shuttering might (I only say might :unsure: ) be something to do with the trench walls - maybe concrete 'sandbags'?

Can't think of any stone arches associated with preserved trenches that I've been to in France....

Paul

So,

1. in France
  2. through a stone arch
    • Significantly pre-war

[*]down to a wooden floor

• The Wooden floor is rather nice - probably not polished (for H&S reasons) but looks so
  • Not duckboards

[*]surounded by the results of shuttering

• Not trenches
  • Not sandbags - much much more architectural

David

Sorry, not a Basilica - but being indoors you will be warmer!

David

I think you may have given us a concealed clue earlier. Is this structure Roman?

Anyway, if no-one gets it tonight, I'm off to France in the morning, so I'll keep an eye out for it ... :D

No, part medieval, part modern; arguably both parts aggressively so.

David

Thank you Keith! Your turn

IWM Website

The Historial de la Grande Guerre was opened on 1 August 1992 in a new building attached to the medieval Château in Péronne.

Images from their website:

Chateau-Historial-de-Peronne.jpg

Musee-exterieur.jpg

Musee-Salle-Entree.jpg

Historial Website

To give it this smooth surface, the shuttering used at the Historial were made of Bakelite-coated plywood for the walls and resinated wood for the columns. The different panels are marked with circular indentations at 70 cm intervals; these holes correspond to the spacers separating the sections of the shuttering. The choice of not hiding these holes reflects a concern for preserving the characteristic signs associated with the use of this material.

Oh dear, my turn! I shall think about that overnight and post tomorrow.

B&gger — I had a phone call only this morning from a friend who was sitting outside the Historial, telling me I must visit it. Shame he didn't mention the wood floor and the shuttering ...

I am standing by a line of graves on top of a bank. On the other side of the valley is another cemetery. All this was once a model.

Need another clue? It is really very simple.