Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

First of all I've got to admit I have copied this idea from another forum that is not involved with the GW. It only started two months ago and has already accumulated well over 1100 posts. The idea is that you give three clues to a Great War related place or event and participants try to work out what that place or event is. I will start it off with these three clues.>>

1) A home Royal Navy establishment that did not operate anything that floats on water.

2) Some of the buildings still exist but in a derelict condition outside of the UK.

3) The war ended before it became operational.

Read the clues VERY carefully, if no one comes up with an answer within 24 hours I will post another clue. Whoever comes up with the right answer first has to set the next question.

A Royal Naval airship station somewhere on the west coast of what is now the Irish Republic?

Congrats, Jay Dubya. Precision is everything ...! :thumbsup:

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

It is quite a bit nearer Kansas than I am. Unless we choose to go the long way round.

Aye but you planted it Siege :D

Unless we choose to go the long way round.

It's pleasant down that way, too.

Well that's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?

Of course, some people do go both ways.

Hmmm, I'll give it a go...

1. A home establishment where some say 20,000,000 feet marched though

2. Buildings still exist, it lasted the war and the next

3. The end came only half a hand of years ago

right down the line, good call Phil :thumbsup:

1) An action that took place in 1917.

2) A weapon that was used in this action was named after a city on another continent but the name was more familiar in another context.

3) One of the aims in this action was the capture of a farmhouse with a name well known on this forum.

Can you please name the place that was the target of this action. A warning though, there is a bit of a red herring in the clues above that might lead you astray.

I bet it is a farm near passendaele

kansas crossing?

but the weapon beats me

I bet it is a farm near passendaele

kansas crossing?

but the weapon beats me

The farm is named after a place far to the east but still very involved in the Great War.

The weapon was a specific type the name was chosen by the crew to distinguish it from its fellows. It was actually named after something that came from that city.

Its not Passendaele but not that far away.

Another clue. The action resulted in two MC's, a DCM and five MM's. The total number involved might be a clue to the weapon.

Congratulations, Tom — you have won three beautifully crafted pieces of ash furniture of indeterminate utility ... :lol:

Congratulations, Tom — you have won three beautifully crafted pieces of ash furniture of indeterminate utility ... :lol:

:lol::lol:

OK - my clues:

1 - I'm standing at the side of a road, looking into a field.

2 - along the road are two memorials to soldiers known or believed to have been killed in that field.

3 - to my right, across a road, is a small wood.

To prove you know the location, name the soldiers, or name the wood.

Tom

Edit: It's not an out-of-the way location. The road past the wood is a main thoroughfare for battlefield visitors.

bolby and skryne memorial

Correctomundo! The memorials are to Captains Geoffry Bowlby and Henry Skrine.

The wood is Railway Wood.

For those who can't place them, if you've ever driven along the straight road from Hellfire Corner to Zonnebeke and noticed two small stone crosses next to each other along a side-road to the left, they're the ones.

Over to you, Sabine.

Tom

thanks tom,

I grew up there in that area

ok here we go

1 standing on a road verry close to where I grew up ( you all most know by now)

2 a farm with a hongarian name

3 the monmouthshire build this little construction

of you go

sabine :rolleyes:

Note for Mods. Should this thread be in a different forum? I started it in Skindles because in the forum site I got it from it was in the equivalent of Skindles, however as Skindles is for non GW items perhaps it should be moved.

• Admin

Are you by the Birrell-Anthony memorial?

Michelle